Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Labs are awesome, mine is about 4 years old and is only 87 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for the waterdogs. The SUV of dogs!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are my Labs after another successful retrieval of the green head I shot.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
That sure is one sharp lookin' pooch!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]
GREAT looking pup!  

We pick up our golden pup this weekend...pics to follow.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Great looking dogs everyone, any more pics out there?

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GREAT looking pup!  

We pick up our golden pup this weekend...pics to follow.  

Definitely post pics, even though you probably have your hands full .

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My Lab-Weim (I think) mix.  Like a Lab only a little bit more clingy and hyper.  A much better running partner than a Lab too.  Lab coloring, but Weim length/thickness hair and a build that combines Lab muscularity with Weim wiriness.

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/Big-ears-and-the-kong.jpg

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/IMGP0888small.jpg

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/IMGP0798small.jpg

Beautiful dog, really looks like a field bred Labrador. Are you sure he's not a purebred? Field bred Labs are very high energy and lanky like you described.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread brought a smile to my face. My 1st dog was a Lab mix. He was big buy about 100lbs.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Lab-Weim (I think) mix.  Like a Lab only a little bit more clingy and hyper.  A much better running partner than a Lab too.  Lab coloring, but Weim length/thickness hair and a build that combines Lab muscularity with Weim wiriness.

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/Big-ears-and-the-kong.jpg

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/IMGP0888small.jpg

members.cox.net/jollyrogers/IMGP0798small.jpg

Beautiful dog, really looks like a field bred Labrador. Are you sure he's not a purebred? Field bred Labs are very high energy and lanky like you described.

Thank you.  I adopted him from a family that didn't want a big dog (new baby and husband leaving on deployment).  I am pretty sure that he isn't purebred.  His coat is much more like a Weim's - only 1 layer, not the double-thick hair factory of a Lab, though Rock still sheds quite a bit.

We're heading out for a 6-7 mile run this AM.  He'll kick my ass since it is chilly out (32 F).  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is my yellow lab Kelsey.  This pic was during a duck hunt about 4 years ago.  She is now 12 and too arthritic to hunt.  She still loves short retreives in the yard, but just not enough energy for much else.  Hard to see them get older
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#15]
We (wife and I) just got a 6 week old black lab pup on monday and we are very very happy.

I had a lab growing up but never knew him as a pup.

Question to all the other lab owners here is what's with the crying at nighttime?  The dog can't go 2 hours without waking up and crying for someone to come play with him.  He snoozes half the day and then expects us to play with him all night.

To top it off my wife can't sleep listening to him whine (which is REALLY loud for a little 6 week old thing like him!) and comes and does whatever to try to get him to go back to sleep, which I'm afraid is reinforcing the behaviour.

Is the crying and whining at nighttime ("come play with me!") normal?

edit: pics to follow in later post.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice Lab, he is probably as big as he will get, just gets heavier with age, they are great dogs. I am on my 1st. lab, a chocolate, she is short, and 75 lbs.3yrs. old now. I have had dogs for the last 30 yrs. and labs are the best!

Dang,you and I may have to hang out some. I also grew up with labs and have three right now.
Most labs will grow for 1 year. After that,it ends. My three go in poundage from 50 to 105. Yeah,105 is real big for a lab. They don't normally get that big. Thats why I call him "big dog" His real name is "Tank".
Nice puppy you have there. You'll never find a more loyal breed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Question to all the other lab owners here is what's with the crying at nighttime?  The dog can't go 2 hours without waking up and crying for someone to come play with him.  He snoozes half the day and then expects us to play with him all night.

Where does he sleep? Labs are very pack oriented and want to be near you. Just don't screw up like us and let him in the bed. No problem as a cute pup, but now I wake up with my feet asleep cause this 80lb lab has his head on my ankles.

Here's Jake and the daughter chillin' in the pool

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does he sleep? Labs are very pack oriented and want to be near you. Just don't screw up like us and let him in the bed. No problem as a cute pup, but now I wake up with my feet asleep cause this 80lb lab has his head on my ankles.

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/raft4.jpg

he's lonely and loves you. He wants to be with you and can't so he cries. He'll grow out of it eventually.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Our Black Lab - 4 years old (female and about 75-80 pounds).

There are some very beautiful dogs in this thread!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#20]
wow some nice pics in here :)

its amazing to see that they really do differ from labs over here in the UK i had 2 but they passed on a long while a go...(stuck with 2 jack russels now :p )

they love the water dont they! they aint happy unless they can swim!
my labs were huge things both black ones and all......10 years old or there abouts when they gave up chasing things and by 11 or so they were to old and they passed away :(

enjoy em as pups guys cuase when they grow up they are bloody huge and having him sit on yer knee is painful!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I've noticed that a couple of you guys have mentioned arthritis in your senior labs.

The wife and I have been using Glucosamine and Condrotin for our Jake as he got older and stiffer and it seems to really help him.  If you decide to go this route, here's a big tip. Don't get this stuff from your vet or off the web. Go to Walmart and get the human variety in the health suppliment section of the store. Even though it's for humans, it's the exact same stuff and quantity as for dogs, but much cheaper since after all it is Walmart

We also cut way back on his outdoor retrieving and let him use the pool more. Swimming and jumping in the pool doesn't seem to be a jarring to his joints.

Ed

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
We (wife and I) just got a 6 week old black lab pup on monday and we are very very happy.

To top it off my wife can't sleep listening to him whine (which is REALLY loud for a little 6 week old thing like him!) and comes and does whatever to try to get him to go back to sleep, which I'm afraid is reinforcing the behaviour.

When mine was a puppy I would walk her every two hours for the first few weeks, then upped it to 3 hours until she would sleep through the night.  Most of the crying is for the need to go out.  Mine sleeps on the bed, I don't mind it at all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've noticed that a couple of you guys have mentioned arthritis in your senior labs.

The wife and I have been using Glucosamine and Condrotin for our Jake as he got older and stiffer and it seems to really help him.  If you decide to go this route, here's a big tip. Don't get this stuff from your vet or off the web. Go to Walmart and get the human variety in the health suppliment section of the store. Even though it's for humans, it's the exact same stuff and quantity as for dogs, but much cheaper since after all it is Walmart

We also cut way back on his outdoor retrieving and let him use the pool more. Swimming and jumping in the pool doesn't seem to be a jarring to his joints.

Ed

I appreciate that info.  I will get some this weekend.  Are there different strengths?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here we all are together. You can't keep a lab out of the water!

www.digitallives.com/efxguy/in%20the%20surf.jpg

You definitely can't! Great looking dogs. If I remember correctly, the yellow Labs name is Buckaroo and you had a thread a little while back about some health problems he was having. I believe he was getting better the last time I had seen that thread. How is he doing now?

Hey! Great memory!  Thanks. Yep, it is the Buckaroo and he is doing much better. He still walks in an un-coordinated way and falls over a bit more than usual, but he is gettign around just fine and having a great time of everything!

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Regarding crying at night, when Jake was a brand new pup to our house, we used to keep him in a cardboard box next to the bed where we could comfort him when he cried during the night. That way I could just reach down and comfort him if he became scared.

I've got to tell you one thing though, being only about halfway awake with a pup chewing on your hand can sure produce some bizarre dreams though
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Regarding crying at night, when Jake was a brand new pup to our house, we used to keep him in a cardboard box next to the bed where we could comfort him when he cried during the night. That way I could just reach down and comfort him if he became scared.

I've got to tell you one thing though, being only about halfway awake with a pup chewing on your hand can sure produce some bizarre dreams though

+1!

Our black lab Sharkey was the same way. THe breeder told us to keep him in his kennel at night and he cried in a way to break our hearts. He was ten months old when we got him. Aftger the third night we moved him into our bedroom with us and the Biuckaroo. And he never cried at night again.

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just got a new digital camera, so I thought I would post some new pics of my 6 month old Labrador pup named Buddy. Hes already 70 pounds. Anyone know how much more dogs grow after 6 months? Post pics of your dogs as well if you would like.

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/lefthandblack50/buddy_pose.jpg
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/lefthandblack50/starin.jpg
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/lefthandblack50/buddys_head.jpg
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/lefthandblack50/lookin_for_wabbits.jpg
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/lefthandblack50/snow_dog.jpg

lefthandblack

It's a Black Beauty, Good luck and enjoy his company.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is my dog Jack. He is half Lab, the other half we dont know. The other dog is my sister in laws, half Australian shepard half Blue heeler that we are watching while her husband is in Iraq.
The first Pic is him at 8 weeks old the last one is him today at 1 year

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Are you crate training him? Do you crate him at night? Six weeks is very young to be removed from his littermates, hopefully not too young to have learned the denning instinct from his mother to not soil his crate. When I brought Buddy home at eight weeks, he cried through the night for the first few days. We kept him in a wire crate and still do at night. It was hard to hear, and kept us up but if you are sure that he does'nt have to go to the bathroom, then you should just ignore him. Give him his last drink of water at say 8:00, and take him out around 11:00 then put him in his crate. When you go to him when he is crying, it is like telling him that it is ok to cry. Try putting the crate somewhere where he can see you or maybe playing a TV a low volume somewhere near. Also, you can wrap a clock in a towel and place it near his crate to simulate his mothers heartbeat. You can also put some articles of clothing that you have worn near the crate.

A six week old pup still has absolutely no bladder control and probably can't make it through the night without having to go outside at least once or twice. He will get better though. They really don't have much bladder control until around 4-5 months of age. Really try some good play sessions before bedtime to tire him out as well. Maybe a short walk, although six weeks is too young for anything thing more than a couple minute walk. A good rule of thumb for walks is 5 minutes per every month of age. Good luck and you should post some pics of the little fella.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here is my yellow lab Kelsey.  This pic was during a duck hunt about 4 years ago.  She is now 12 and too arthritic to hunt.  She still loves short retreives in the yard, but just not enough energy for much else.  Hard to see them get older
img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/duckdogs/Kelsey.jpg

Thats a beautiful girl!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/raft4.jpg

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/raft3.jpg

Great pics! Good lookin dog!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Our Black Lab - 4 years old (female and about 75-80 pounds).
i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/Tominator425/Miscellaneous/DSC03103-1.jpg

There are some very beautiful dogs in this thread!

Beautiful girl, very fieldy. Bet she is faster than heck. She's probably a retreving machine.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here we all are together. You can't keep a lab out of the water!

www.digitallives.com/efxguy/in%20the%20surf.jpg

You definitely can't! Great looking dogs. If I remember correctly, the yellow Labs name is Buckaroo and you had a thread a little while back about some health problems he was having. I believe he was getting better the last time I had seen that thread. How is he doing now?

Hey! Great memory!  Thanks. Yep, it is the Buckaroo and he is doing much better. He still walks in an un-coordinated way and falls over a bit more than usual, but he is gettign around just fine and having a great time of everything!

efxguy i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/spclefx/buckhuntsagain.jpg

Thats awesome, good for him. Hopefully he continues his recovery. Thanks for the update!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top