Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, losing a cat sucks. I lost a cat I had for ten years a while back and it was very sad. I now have two wonderful abysinians.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry for your loss.  That's the curse of having pets, they seldom outlive us.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Sorry to hear of your lose paper, pets are such a big part of our lives. I've gone through it many times over the years and it never becomes easy or 'routine'. I currently have six cats (and 2 dogs), my two oldest are both 18. Thankfully, both are still in relatively good health.

I dread the day....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that.  We just spent over a grand on ours for urinary problems.  Pet insurance is now my friend.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...disjointed nonsense.......

You are moronic. Go away !
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
stones they could have done something,,,,,but how much$ and for a fffnnn cat hell no! I have a dog and a cat my dog protects the home,,a large fast dog,,,earns its living I love them both but when it comes to big bucks to save either cha-chung.......my father in law spent 2 thousand bucks on his older dogs hips,,then a couple of months later and a mere 400 hundred dollars of fees he had to put her to the long doze....I told him(a very cheap m-fker in  all other regards) that 35 dollars and a ball peen hammer I could have done the same thing.......

Hey dipshit, have a little respect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you to everyone that posted, and thank you to everyone who looked and said a prayer for my cat.

She was 9 years old this summer; 4 years ago one of my neighbors poisoned her. She was a fighter and my doctor saved much of her kidney function but I knew much of her life had been stolen from her. I’ve spent countless money and time keeping her healthy and safe, no dollar amount would have stopped me from helping my cat.

In the end her body just gave out on her, up until a couple of weeks ago she was healthy and happy. She had congenital heart trouble and the doctor said she was in horrible pain from pancreatitis. I didn’t get to say goodbye to her in person which saddens me but I know sparing her the pain was the best thing to do.

I spent the night on a flight home last night wondering if anyone else cared.

Thanks Guys, most of you are class acts.

Paper
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
You're a good man paper.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn.

I have three of the little furballs and know how bad it would hurt to lose one.

My condolences.

SG

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
stones they could have done something,,,,,but how much$ and for a fffnnn cat hell no! I have a dog and a cat my dog protects the home,,a large fast dog,,,earns its living I love them both but when it comes to big bucks to save either cha-chung.......my father in law spent 2 thousand bucks on his older dogs hips,,then a couple of months later and a mere 400 hundred dollars of fees he had to put her to the long doze....I told him(a very cheap m-fker in  all other regards) that 35 dollars and a ball peen hammer I could have done the same thing.......

There's always one braindead jerkoff in every crowd, and you're it JB.

Asshole.

SG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Cats are particular about whose company they keep.   Tigger follows me all over the house, and meows like a siren when he can't find me.

Darn little furball tries to trip me every morning, dumps his food out when its stale, and generally thinks that HE owns the place.  Cats have a way of wormng their way into y0ur heart on their terms.  

I am sorry for your loss.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Paper,

Sorry to hear it bro, and I do know where you are coming from.
I have four of my old cat friends napping in our yard next to their old dog friends.

I am a pet person. Presently, I have four dogs and eight cats. Over the years I have had to put down both dogs and cats as their time had come. Each time I choose to take the hard road and hold them as we take care of what has to pass. I am lucky in that a bro of mine is a large animal vet and he has graciously come out to the house for this duty when we needed him. Each time I have had my friend in my arms, stroking their head while he takes his last breath and beats the final beat of the heart. Not an easy thing. Each time, after the passing, I have taken to looking at my wife and say “Let us not forget that the same fate awaits us all” Death is a part of life, and loss of a loved one furry or otherwise is a hard fact we must all face.
Perhaps the most difficult time I had with this was when Tom, my grey Maine Coon went sick with the same thing. We kept him going for a while with a twice weekly dose of ringers and meds, but true to form, they let you know when it is time to let go. When that day came, my vet friend and his wife came out to help us and Tom out. Now Tom was not what you would call a cuddly kitten. He was his own man and unique amongst the gang that is always running about the house. The problem was that in order to deal with the uthisol properly, we had to sedate him first. Waiting around for the sedation to drowse him out, then deal with the uthisol was amongst the most heartbreaking moments of my life. I have had to help out several of my old Golden Retrievers in passing. These were life long friends that I had had for more that thirteen years. It was tough then, but nothing prepared me for little Tom Kitten and his passing. Even if he was a grump.

These lessons help us live better, appreciate life and make us better people.

My advice?

Much the same as others. Time will help, but not cure. You don’t want a cure as it would mean that you are without heart.

Get another. All but one of my dogs and two of my cats are rescues. Find some one who needs you and you will find someone you need as well.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cats are particular about whose company they keep.   I'm honored to be the SEC's human

Cats have a way of wormng their way into y0ur heart on their their terms.

Truer words were never spoken on ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a great cat, when she's around, and she likes the dog.

Go get yourself another one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear about the cat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for your families loss Paper.

Sad.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#20]
When you finish grieving, there are thousands of cats out there in need of good homes.  So get to work, they're depending on YOU.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
And they say that animals don't have souls...

Sorry for your losses, all of ya. I have this weird love/hate relationship with my cat, but when it goes, I dunno wtf I'll do.

I get a laught out of that too. Some animals (pets) have more of a soul than the idiot who calls himself their master. I have found scripture in the New Testament where Paul says things like "and the souls of all living things". Hmmm... didn't narrow that down to humans only.

I have lost 8 cats and a dog over the past 4 or 5 years. I loved each and every one of them. I now just have 2 cats and 1 dog. One of the cats has been with me for longer than the others (15 years) and I will lose him probably soon. Will miss him too. I missed my dog Scrappy LOTS when I lost him -- for almost a year. But you know... though you will never forget the pets that have passed away, getting a new one when the time is right takes away the pain. I felt the pain of missing my little buddy Scrappy until little Sadie came along. I still miss him, but it's not painful any more. Pets are God's gift to us as far as I'm concerned. How we treat that gift says everything about us.

Edited to add: One dream that I savor often is the hope that when I pass to the other side of this life, in addition to the loved one's who've gone before me, my pets will be waiting to 'dogpile' on me in a big furry love pile. Call it corny, but if heaven is everything they say it is, then that will be waiting...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My family has owned a few cats over the years, and I can honestly say I was never very fond of them.  That is until I met my wife six years ago.

She brought with her a two year old Russian Blue who is the absolute best pet I have ever had.  My experience with cats, at least the ones I've been around, is that they are loners and would rather sleep than be bothered.  Not Stubby, he will walk up to anyone and meow untill you show him some affection.  He's very needy, but I can blame my wife for that, she loves him like a child and is the closest thing will ever have to a child of our own.  My wife always says, "He's like a little person" and I have to agree with her.  I can't imagine what it will be like when he goes.  

Sorry for your loss  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Edited to add: One dream that I savor often is the hope that when I pass to the other side of this life, in addition to the loved one's who've gone before me, my pets will be waiting to 'dogpile' on me in a big furry love pile. Call it corny, but if heaven is everything they say it is, then that will be waiting...

I think all of us who've lost loved pets feel that way
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Very sorry to hear about your friend.  Lost one a few years ago for the same reason.  Still recall the sad eyes before he was put to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone who says cats don't earn their keep has never had a mouse problem.
If you live in an old rural house, or and urban area....

...ONLY a cat can do the job right.
It has to be a good cat, though.

Condolences.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I, personally, can not stand cats.  However, it sucks whenever someone loses their long time pet/friend.  

Condolences extended your way!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry for your loss, my dog is about to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear the bad news, my kitty is chilling on my lap watching me surch arfcom and I would be devasted if something happened to her.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Hate to hear about your cat. Condolences to you & yours.

Tell us about your next one that you get.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]
They make them every day -- get a new one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They make them every day -- get a new one.

Nice one.

Go away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry about your loss. I'm alergic to cats so I can't have one, but they are intriguing creatures. Try to focus on the time you had with the cat and the memories you will always have.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Bummer!  My prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I'll have to be honest.  I hate cats.

But I am sorry for your loss.  I bet that there is a small kitty somewhere that is looking for a new human pet.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top