User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bolt action rifles make me queasy...sorry guys, I just don't get it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tell me why I should or shouldn't buy a Mosin Nagant rifle?

You can sell it to some other sucker for what you paid for it, after you find out that it sucks?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Stupid qoute thingy, messed up the pyramid!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
carbine version or long rifle?
Finnish or Russian?
I have a few. They make me happy. Cheap to shoot, easy to clean, relatively accurate, indestructible and cheap.

Relative to what?

Mediocre bullet selection and scope mounts are enough to keep me away from them.

Cool if you're a history buff, but if you just want an inexpensive bolt action, get a Stevens.

I can ring a 10 inch gong at 300 meters on iron sights pretty consistantly.  Your just doing it wrong or got a shitty mosin.

Add inconsistency to the list too.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Mosin-Nagant

Because how else are you going to arm 6 people for $450

If I had money to spare, I'd buy a damned crate of them just in case I needed handout rifles for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
carbine version or long rifle?
Finnish or Russian?
I have a few. They make me happy. Cheap to shoot, easy to clean, relatively accurate, indestructible and cheap.

Relative to what?

Mediocre bullet selection and scope mounts are enough to keep me away from them.

Cool if you're a history buff, but if you just want an inexpensive bolt action, get a Stevens.

I can ring a 10 inch gong at 300 meters on iron sights pretty consistantly.  Your just doing it wrong or got a shitty mosin.

Add inconsistency to the list too.  

good one
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hows the accuracy without a ton of modifications?
I am guessing there are scope mounts/receivers that can be put on as well...so might not make a bad hunting rifle.

A lot of people use scout mounts which replace the top handguard.  An easy way to scope a Mosin without taking machine tools to it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
At $80 a piece you don't have much to loose.

My housemate has very little interest in firearms but he was easily convinced on getting one for the price.  It's ALOT of fun to shoot.

Worst case scenario is you can hang it over your fireplace.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Good crude rifles at great prices.

If you want a great rifle at a good price, buy a Lee Enfield or K-31.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
why shouldnt you is a bigger question.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
seriously...are they for you? I don't know.

They're a pain in the ass to operate, but DAMN are they fun to shoot, powerful as hell, plentiful steel core ammo that makes a SHOWER of sparks when it hits steel targets at night, blows the shit out of anything within visual range, and they can, with a little work, be made pretty accurate, too.

Oh yeah, they kick like a mule and are LOUD. The carbine variations are louder, kick harder, and make a fireball the size of washing machine.

oh and they come in tacticool

and a pistol . imagine the kick of that mother fucker.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Ugly as sin, but damn fun to shoot.

Order some of the Polish or Hungarian light ball silver tipped ammo, and you can keep a fist sized group at 100 yards.

Damn impressive for as simple as it is.

Oh, and you can do a trigger job on this gun so easy, it just makes me laugh to think about it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got two that a gunsmith cut down to 16.1". Got kicked out of an indoor range after two shots. Something about the fire code?

I really should put my C&R to better use and pick up a 91/30.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cheap rifle
Cheap ammo
Makes a big boom and fireball
Accurate enough
Piece of history
Lots of fun!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Fun for 100 bucks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
80 bucks.  If you don't like it, toss it in the dumpster.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I need to dust off my C&R and get a couple of these before they are all gone too...

FWIW, I read the M44 was designed to be fired with the bayonet deployed.  The sights are regulated to compensate for the extra weight hanging off the muzzle.  Stupid but apparently that's what the designers went with.

Besides you can scare all your Fudd buddies at deer camp with it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

For the cost of one AR15, you can buy enough Mosin-Nagant rifles to equip a squad. In a SHTF situation it can be a real force multiplier by passing 'em out to friends and family that you know are not prepared.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Mmmmm, Spam Can 7.62x54r  For $200 you can have a rifle/flame thrower/Hot Dog Stick AND 440 rnds of ammo which is about two lifetimes of ammo for me.  I have a 1929 Hex 91/30 that will shoot the A zone of an IPSC target at 100yds all day long.  They were never designed to be M24 Uber Sniper accurate.  Get one or 10, they won't always be this cheap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
seriously...are they for you? I don't know.

They're a pain in the ass to operate, but DAMN are they fun to shoot, powerful as hell, plentiful steel core ammo that makes a SHOWER of sparks when it hits steel targets at night, blows the shit out of anything within visual range, and they can, with a little work, be made pretty accurate, too.

Oh yeah, they kick like a mule and are LOUD. The carbine variations are louder, kick harder, and make a fireball the size of washing machine.

oh and they come in tacticool

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/gixxanikk/tacMosin-1.jpg

and a pistol . imagine the kick of that mother fucker.

http://beckerpc.net/obrez.jpg

Holy shit.  I want one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You SHOULD NOT if you...
- are a big fucking pussy and can't handle .30 caliber badassery

Quoted:
You SHOULD NOT if you...
- are a big fucking pussy and can't work the inevitably stuck bolt with your girly hands and arms

Fixing sticky bolt.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cheap and most likely has killed germans.

Not mine, 1948 model M44, but is fun, cheap and actually fairly accurate. Pops 8" party balloons 100% of the time from 100 yards with irons.

That's good enough for me in a surplus battle rifle, and it's good enough the take down the bad guys, or a freal hog when it has to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because you don't have one?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Silly Girls!

Bolt action Rifles are for Men!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one of the rebuilds the finnish folks did because of the history behind the rifle.

It can cost a lot more than the cheap numbers mentioned in this thread, but you are still talking about 300 bucks I think.

As already mentioned the rifle is super duper simple and I consider that another good reason to own one because it is easy to learn how the rifle works.

I don't really have a comment about the whirlygirl post.  If it is not your thing then oh well.

But after taking a few things apart I really like the simplicity of some firearm designs when compared to other designs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I neglected to add that you would have to look long and hard to find a less accurate rifle. Come on, modern arms are all fairly accurate. Mosin's are not. Minute of pie plate accuracy is a "Good One", mine is much worse.

Plus, they function well with surplus Russian ammo, but modern 7.62 x 54R ammo does not fit into the chambers well and is tough to feed and extract. So, for all practical purposes, you are stuck with crappy surplus ammo as the good stuff won't work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I neglected to add that you would have to look long and hard to find a less accurate rifle. Come on, modern arms are all fairly accurate. Mosin's are not. Minute of pie plate accuracy is a "Good One", mine is much worse.

Plus, they function well with surplus Russian ammo, but modern 7.62 x 54R ammo does not fit into the chambers well and is tough to feed and extract. So, for all practical purposes, you are stuck with crappy surplus ammo as the good stuff won't work.

Not true at all.

Try really locking down the action. If the two screws holding the action into the stock are loose, the accuracy will suck; but it if you tighten those screws down (I had to add a washer under the rear lug after tightening it to keep the bolt from rubbing on the magazine in one of my Mosins), you can get at 3-4 inch group.

As far as ammo, with the cost of the surplus stuff, why would you want to shoot new ammo?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Plus, they function well with surplus Russian ammo, but modern 7.62 x 54R ammo does not fit into the chambers well and is tough to feed and extract

I've never seen any Mosin Nagant choke on Prvi Partizan 7.62x54R.

In fact, the only ammo I've seen cause very tough extraction was the thick laquer-coated Czech heavy-ball.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 1941 issued M44 that is in beautiful condition. I got to hand pick it a couple years ago at Cheaper Than Dirt. Just seems to fit with all of my US Milsurp.

I would like to eventually get an Enfield and Mauser K98.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
My friend turned me onto Mosins with his M44.
Rounds go where you point them. Accurate with irons to 100 (furthest the range was) and fun as shit to shoot for 80 bucks.
I didn't think that it kicked that hard, but I'm don't have sand in my vagina either.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, if you have to ask why you should buy one, you should probably pass, they sell themselves.

90 Dollars
Piece of History
Cheap ammo
Surely will increase in price in the years to come
Fun!!!!!!!
Hurts your shoulder!

They're so cheap, you really need to buy 2 or 3 or 15 of them, I remember the days when #4 Mk1 enfields were 60-100 dollars, and now look at them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

and Soviet's

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Think of it as a .30 caliber drill, leather punch, and strobe on one end and a steel hammer on the other.  It'll also double as a nice boat oar, club, or firewood if it won't shoot.  Hang it over your mantle and use it to scare off the census people when they arrive.
At current prices, you can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

and Soviet's

Damn bourgeoisie!  Kill 'em all!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do you want one? No? Then don't get one. Yes? Then buy one! Done!

Seriously...

You SHOULD if you...
- are interested in historic weapons
- like big rifles that fire big, powerful cartridges
- dislike your shoulder
- dislike your hearing abilities
- dislike anything within about 4 miles that 148 grains of pissed-off Russian steel-core iron at 2900 fps will completely obliterate (which is pretty much everything, BTW)...

You SHOULD NOT if you...
- are a big fucking pussy and can't handle .30 caliber badassery
- are a big fucking pussy and can't work the inevitably stuck bolt with your girly hands and arms
- are a big fucking pussy and who wouldn't own a rifle unless is was an force-multiplied, flat-topped, flash-hidden, ergonomic wonder of a pea-shooter...

No, seriously...are they for you? I don't know.

perfect.

I love mine.  

I can only shoot about 20 rounds before I start flinching though.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm glad I got my M44 when I did.  Now I need a 91/30 to go with it
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not mine, 1948 model M44, but is fun, cheap and actually fairly accurate. Pops 8" party balloons 100% of the time from 100 yards with irons.

That's good enough for me in a surplus battle rifle, and it's good enough the take down the bad guys, or a freal hog when it has to.

Dude... that's the fireball doing that.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#43]
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

'Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it'.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You can get a rifle and 440 rounds for about 200 bucks. Why the hell not?

Inexpensive SHTF force multiplier.

10 Mosin 1891/30 rifles w/bayonets, slings, cleaning kits, ammo pouches:   ––––  $800

1320 rounds of ammo in long term storage containers (3 spam cans x 440)  ––––  $270

$1070 for a quickly assembled 10 peasant security detail ain't too shabby...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Mosins are the shit and no gun collection is complete without one.  My favorite, an M-38.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Cheapest range stopper I have ever seen.

For $200 you can get an M44 and a 440 rd spam can of ammo.

I have yet to fire it at the range and not get at least one enquiry as to "what is THAT?"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I am currently on the Mosin-Nagant fence. Hard not to get one really.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok ok ok, i am buying one.....this week or next week.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Because they are cool.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top