Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Shameless bump because I am tired of tonks, locks, bans, and states of affairs...

SO, what's your opinion on cheap guns vs. accessories for nice guns ????

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My second reply:

I have a set of "requirements" that my guns meet, for example:

1) NRA Highpower competition rifle: modified AR.
2) Tactical carbine: modified AR.
3) Tactical pistol: Kimber or Springfield 1911

and so on . . .

These are all quality arms, with the features required for the task they are intended for. In some cases, they may not have all the features I desire (the tactical carbine may not yet have the Surfire & Eotech, for example), these features can be added as the checkbook permits.

Once you get past meeting the requirements, then feel free to stuff the safe with C&R Mausers, pimped out 10/22s, or whatever fits your fancy. But the way I approach it is to figure out what I think I need for my defense and competition requirements, and fill these first. Then get any "toys" later. Note that there are very useful "add-ons" for the "serious stuff": optics, lights, etc. Properly outfitting the "serious" weapons takes priority over aquiring "toys".
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I learn toward quantity.  Sorry guys.  

I bought a Walther P1 (German police surplus) instead of a "real" P38.  I get the same basic gun for half the money, though the pedigree isn't as great.  

I bought a ~70 year old Colt 1911-A1 that had been parkerized which killed its collector value, but it still functions the same to me.  

I have a $300 AK and not a $600 AK.  Runs fine and I dont worry about scratching it.  

If I buy an AR it will be built from a kit, not a Colt.  

I would have no problem buying a police trade in SIG or Glock instead of a brand new in box one.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top