BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never met a BMW owner who wasn't a condescending asshole.
View Quote

True that!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My '07 328i was a pain in the ass. Camshaft position sensor caused significant problems at 50K miles, just after warranty was up. I will never own another BMW unless it's an E30 or older.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.
View Quote
Perhaps.  But the BMW they're driving (always in a fucking hurry) is the most obvious.

And for those with the butthurt over the condescending asshole remark, I didn't say all BMW owners were;  Just the ones that I've met, at least all the heterosexual males that is.

I have met some nice BMW owners, but all preferred the cock, both women and men.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Perhaps.  But the BMW they're driving (always in a fucking hurry) is the most obvious.

And for those with the butthurt over the condescending asshole remark, I didn't say all BMW owners were;  Just the ones that I've met, at least all the heterosexual males that is.

I have met some nice BMW owners, but all preferred the cock, both women and men.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.

what do you drive?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

what do you drive?

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what do you drive?

ar-jedi

I drove a 740i for a little while, I'd like to think I'm a nice guy
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys are out of your fucking minds.

The i8 isn't a car you buy because you like to fuck with your own stuff and spend weekends at Vato Zone.. you buy an i8 because you're rich as shit and want to buy a ground-based spaceship.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Somewhere Steve Jobs has a chubby...

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what do you drive?

ar-jedi
View Quote
A Ford truck, or my wife's Honda Pilot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I would guess a guy that can afford that car, wouldn't trouble himself to open the hood anyway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Those cars are rockets to 100mph, don't let the peak numbers fool you NA V8 'merica guys.

I have a 2007 turbo BMW that so far has been a great vehicle, I don't feel it's any harder to work on then my honda's and chevys. So far into ownership I don't really understand the hate.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those cars are rockets to 100mph, don't let the peak numbers fool you NA V8 'merica guys.

I have a 2007 turbo BMW that so far has been a great vehicle, I don't feel it's any harder to work on then my honda's and chevys. So far into ownership I don't really understand the hate.

View Quote

It's gd, once you have to grab the metric wrenches the cars becomes a pos
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am a BMW tech at an independent shop.  The vast majority of our customers are normal people, some of them are pretty awesome, I have only ran into a few that sucked.  One of them even brought us all (everyone at the shop) lunch today since we checked the air in his Ferraris tires a few days ago when he stopped by.  I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've known a lot of BMW owners... maybe (MAYBE) 2 of them weren't what you described. They ranged from rich guys to poor guys, and all had identical attitudes.

I am a BMW tech at an independent shop.  The vast majority of our customers are normal people, some of them are pretty awesome, I have only ran into a few that sucked.  One of them even brought us all (everyone at the shop) lunch today since we checked the air in his Ferraris tires a few days ago when he stopped by.  I wonder if there is another common denominator to the people YOU are running into other than what they drive that makes them act like assholes.

I doubt it.  I have nothing against BMW's, but a solid 8/10ths or so of people I see doing stupid crap involving cutting people off, running red lights, driving the wrong way on roundabouts (no, seriously), etc, are driving BMW's.

It's not so much that all BMW drivers are assholes; it's that they seem to attract a lot of the drivers that already are assholes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

which car do you own that goes 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds, and gets an EPA-rated 76MPG?

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A whopping 357bhp; stand the fuck back!

which car do you own that goes 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds, and gets an EPA-rated 76MPG?

ar-jedi

Not sure mpg would matter too much to me if I was spending >$100k on a car. I would hope I could afford to fuel it up
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is 24 years old and the most complicated thing in it is the electric sunroof. 5 speed,0 cup holders,heated nothing but it's been a long time since BMW built cars like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/BCE81830-CFFA-4F9F-BF68-1DD5CDED5D17.jpg

Classic and pure shape.
Late 1990's the M3's were going for about $7000,= here, good thing I didnt buy one at the time
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#16]
A few years ago, two folks who were visiting said that they had brake lights that were not working.  Both were driving fairly new BMWs.

I figured they just needed a bulb replaced; so I took a look.

What I found is that BMW has a better idea:  They use a single filament bulb.  When you press the brake pedal, a computer sends current through the brake light bulb.

If you press harder on the brake pedal, the computer sends more current through that same bulb---making it burn brighter.

What a bunch of over engineered crock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
BMW needs to fire the so called engineer that pulled that hood latch/ hinge set up out of his ass.Two latches/two cables really?Zero thought,design or engineering went into the hood of that car.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Classic and pure shape.
Late 1990's the M3's were going for about $7000,= here, good thing I didnt buy one at the time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Classic and pure shape.

E36's are great cars, no more complicated any other cars of the time.  Even the E46 M's are pretty straightforward.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Condescending asshole checking in.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5aq9l3.jpg
View Quote

he is somewhat right. i think certain cars attract assholes. he is wrong that all bmw owners are assholes. i work for acura and i noticed when we had the 07-08 tl type s come out it seemed to attract more assholes.

edit oh and nice car
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BTW, people with i8 money aren't DIYing.
View Quote

Would still be nice to be able to open the hood and add wiper fluid yourself, though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

BMW needs to fire the so called engineer that pulled that hood latch/ hinge set up out of his ass.Two latches/two cables really?Zero thought,design or engineering went into the hood of that car.
View Quote

The opposite - way too much engineering went into the car. Or better, the wrong kind of engineering, in an enthusiasts view. Most people are not enthusiasts.Though not surprising from the folx who thought iDrive was an enhancement when it first hit the market.

This is where the industry is headed tho - sealed motive packs, inaccessible  engine compartments, black boxes, real time broadcast telemetry - you don't need to get in there idiot driver.  If you are concerned about access now - wait for increasingly autonomous vehicles. Less and less access to key systems will be possible given the concern with tampering or unskilled service. Beyond what's been posted, very few BMW, hell most drivers anymore, want to get involved with thier car. There's no real issue here, unless youve lost power in a burning car crash. I'm told that's impossible. Wont keep people,from buying.

Its a much more handsome car in person than pics. All the technology is down played - the theme is luxury.  Interior is more sci-fi in function than design. Lush and rich rather than  Star Wars. It's a nice car - BMW is focused on Tesla here. Technorati are the intended audience. BMW wants to be the most aspirational brand, I did not expect this car to work so well towards that end.

All of the status symbol comments surprise me, it doesn't hit me this way. I thought it was kinda a sleeper.  Obviously my opinion was wrong; there's image value here. Then again I don't hold BMW as a status vehicle in general, probably due to ownership. You are getting better value here than the other prestige brands - so BMW positioned itself well.

Comical how we pigeon hole drivers based on their cars.  The marketings effective. Z4 and 335is drop top here - so I could be biased.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I doubt it.  I have nothing against BMW's, but a solid 8/10ths or so of people I see doing stupid crap involving cutting people off, running red lights, driving the wrong way on roundabouts (no, seriously), etc, are driving BMW's.
It's not so much that all BMW drivers are assholes; it's that they seem to attract a lot of the drivers that already are assholes.
View Quote

Dude in an Impala cuts you off, cars invisible. In a Ferrari, brand is magnified. It's perceptual.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Ah-ha!

Proof that evil exists!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Would smash the chick in the green sweater.

Wouldn't touch that car. Ever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The opposite - way too much engineering went into the car. Or better, the wrong kind of engineering, in an enthusiasts view. Most people are not enthusiasts.Though not surprising from the folx who thought iDrive was an enhancement when it first hit the market.

[span style='font-size: 11px;']This is where the industry is headed tho - sealed motive packs, inaccessible  engine compartments, black boxes, real time broadcast telemetry - you don't need to get in there idiot driver.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[span style='font-size: 11px;']This is where the industry is headed tho - sealed motive packs, inaccessible  engine compartments, black boxes, real time broadcast telemetry - you don't need to get in there idiot driver.  

I agree,to a point.The hood latch/hinge design screams out loudly to me 'mickey mouse'.I would not buy the car because of this.They put gull wing doors on and could not
do better on the hood?Even if BMW wanted to keep me,the idiot consumer from going under the hood by myself,they could of designed something better that would at least not piss of the tech's that have to work on it
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread

I think most of gd would have preferred the automotive world to have stopped in 1969, so we could all drive slow, dangerous, shitty cars.

This is a pretty limited run of car, there is nothing under that hood that is customer serviceable. Its not like they did this to the 3 series, relax.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

In euroland they call it a bonnet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Would still be nice to be able to open the hood and add wiper fluid yourself, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, people with i8 money aren't DIYing.

and blinker fluid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is a pretty limited run of car, there is nothing under that hood that is customer serviceable. Its not like they did this to the 3 series, relax.
View Quote

Except the windshield wiper fluid. Seriously, that shit runs out and you're supposed to book a fucking dealer service appointment? I know it's under there, I saw it! Sure all the high voltage shit is "not customer serviceable", but that's not the only thing under there.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By tlfreak

I agree,to a point.The hood latch/hinge design screams out loudly to me 'mickey mouse'.I would not buy the car because of this.They put gull wing doors on and could not

do better on the hood?Even if BMW wanted to keep me,the idiot consumer from going under the hood by myself,they could of designed something better that would at least not piss of the tech's that have to work on it
View Quote
It is Mickey Mouse. No defending the design. Maintenance access and technicIan happiness are at the dead bottom of ProdDev and Design concern hierarchy.  Plenty of tech's will chime in here.
Mfgs have done better, but neither sell cars. When you talk to product peeps, they're puzzled when you ask to get access to beyond the passenger compartment. You very rarely see pics of engines, transmission or suspensions in car rags - because the vast majority of the buying public doesn't give a shit about them. So neither does the mfg.

It's not that BMW wants to keep you out , the development process doesnt place much value on easy acess for anyone. The gull wings are distinct, interfaced with each use and llargely responsible for the enhanced image of the car, so of course BMW concentrates on getting them right. The hood acess, not so much.

No disagreement design-wise, but the reality is this is what the future holds. We aren't at sealed systems yet  but you are seeing intermediate steps.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Except the windshield wiper fluid. Seriously, that shit runs out and you're supposed to book a fucking dealer service appointment? I know it's under there, I saw it! Sure all the high voltage shit is "not customer serviceable", but that's not the only thing under there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My interaction with new cycle BMW owners indicate both they (and BMW) would be happpy with a scheduled service.  Most prefer to do no more than turn a key. BMW very much dissuades DIY DEF fluid top off, then again wiper fluid doesnt crystallize like urea. No downside for BMW or most upscale mfgs in not making owner servicing easy, because most buyers don't care.

But I agree having access requiring two individuals available  to avoid damage is dumb. They'll probably make dealers buy a special asembly to deal with it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't own one now, but I've owned 4 BMW's in the past and I'm without a doubt the nicest guy you'll ever hope to meet.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Can't wait until some of our local mechanics get ahold of that.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't own one now, but I've owned 4 BMW's in the past and I'm without a doubt the nicest guy you'll ever hope to meet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't talk to him like he's a 3 year old...

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Worked in a factory for large manufacturing company.

One year we bought machinery from Germany. It ran so slowly and put out so few parts the item we made went obsolete quicker than any we had previously made. The machines were so complicated. It took 25-20 mins. to take all the guards off just to START to work on it.  We had one machine that lost its program. I loaded started to  load the program off the laptop and after 20 mins. I restarted the load over again, thinking something must be wrong. Most of our programmable machines  could have it program loaded in a couple of mins. It actually took 4 hours to load the program.

When they ordered more new machinery for a newer product.....they ordered it from Germany again.......must be some kickbacks somewhere for somebody.
View Quote

The factory where I use to work was bought about by a German corp. When the German engineers came thru they turned their noses up at how "crude" our designs were. When we got to see the design of the German equipment, holy shit, talk about over complicated. It was great quality, but overkill for the product.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what do you drive?
ar-jedi

there is a guy at work who parks near me who has a ford truck with those stupid truck nutz dangling from the trailer hitch receiver.
ergo, all ford truck owners are inbred redneck trailer park assholes.

i love stereotyping.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#39]
but the new corvette is made by GM...   but its cool to buy BMW
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the washer fluid has a separate access panel near the base of the windshield, it does not require opening the hood.

Only things I can see under the hood I'd brake fluid res, coolant res, low voltage battery, abs controller, cooling fan and radiator.

A car like that you don't top up either of those fluids as regular maintenance, they don't need it and a loss of either means a problem larger then a individual who paid that much for a car is likely to fix in their driveway laying on some cardboard drinking a Coors light while their wife holds the flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's only if the power fails.
View Quote

Seems like a bad design for an emergency.  Too fiddly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I love car threads on GD lol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've known a lot of BMW owners... maybe (MAYBE) 2 of them weren't what you described. They ranged from rich guys to poor guys, and all had identical attitudes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup same here.. I think the only ones that didnt fit were Germans in Germany..
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

derp.

you have no idea how this works.  here's how it goes:

BMW R&D built a concept car, put it up on car show stages decorated with pretty women, and enough wealthy people said "i'll have one of those!"  to the marketing droids standing there.

BMW Sales says to BMW R&D, "we can sell these babies, so productize this thing ASAP."

BMW R&D says to BMW Corporate, "the ding dongs in Sales want us to productize this one-off concept car, which takes away from other things we are supposed to be doing."

BMW Corporate says to BMW Sales, "you guys have a viable business case for this?"
BMW Sales says, "yes, we can sell at least qty 500 of them next year".
BMW Corporate says, "you know that is like a day's production for the 3 series, right?"

BMW Corporate says to BMW R&D, "the guys in Sales have a business case, but the qty is low, so keep the tooling budget really low, keep the R&D effort really low, and realize we are only gong to sell qty 500 per year to wealthy people who don't change their own oil much less their own wiper fluid."

BMW R&D says, "ok chief".  and they run off to turn a concept car designed for a show into a salable vehicle, with minimum R&D investment.  

that is how you end up with a "production car" which has "limitations".

but i see GD is all affected by this since most of you are in the market for a US$165K car.

so don't buy this one -- it requires your servants to pull on little loops to open the hood.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

derp.

BMW R&D built a concept car, put it up on car show stages decorated with pretty women, and enough wealthy people said "i'll have one of those!"  to the marketing droids standing there.

BMW Sales says to BMW R&D, "we can sell these babies, so productize this thing ASAP."

BMW R&D says to BMW Corporate, "the ding dongs in Sales want us to productize this one-off concept car, which takes away from other things we are supposed to be doing."

BMW Corporate says to BMW Sales, "you guys have a viable business case for this?"

BMW Corporate says, "you know that is like a day's production for the 3 series, right?"

BMW Corporate says to BMW R&D, "the guys in Sales have a business case, but the qty is low, so keep the tooling budget really low, keep the R&D effort really low, and realize we are only gong to sell qty 500 per year to wealthy people who don't change their own oil much less their own wiper fluid."

BMW R&D says, "ok chief".  and they run off to turn a concept car designed for a show into a salable vehicle, with minimum R&D investment.  

but i see GD is all affected by this since most of you are in the market for a US$165K car.

so don't buy this one -- it requires your servants to pull on little loops to open the hood.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

derp.

ar-jedi

The i8 got more attention during the press days of the North American International Auto Show the last two years then even the new BMW's they were rolling out during the press conferences. It was ridiculous the hard-on people have for them. It's never really done much for me. Looks cool but from my experience almost anything with gullwing/scissor type doors causes everyone to just lose their freaking minds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

derp.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

derp.

ar-jedi

Two actuators and a push butting would have done the job and you would still have those cool pull loops to service the stuff up front. From a technician stand point, that looks like a really big PITA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
So, you pretty much have to take it into the shop to check the engine oil level or add windshield washer fluid?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If I had the disposable income to purchase a low 100K vehicle. I would purchase that.

It's a status symbol. I'm not wrenching shit on my own 100K vehicle, and I don't care if I can't get the hood open.
View Quote

I think that part of its attraction as a status symbol is that if you want to show off the engine, you have to schedule an appointment and pay the technicians $300 so your friends can see it.

I think that if I was in charge of custom options at BMW, I'd offer an annual service similar to GM's OnStar. My system would have a panel on the passenger side and when your friends press the button, it tells them that they suck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So, you pretty much have to take it into the shop to check the engine oil level or add windshield washer fluid?  
View Quote
It's been that way on a lot of premium cars for awhile. My 2011 BMW 335d didn't have dipstick to check the oil level.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Knew it would be a BMW as soon as I read the thread title.
View Quote

And I am a BMW fan.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top