Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
19 years experience. Static refinery equipment.  
CAD, Excel, Word and ASME Section VIII design programs are what I use most.
Most of it is analysis of designs or drawings in my case.
There is a lot of problem solving.
I am actually working on some light autocad coding but that is all of the programming that I have done since college.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

DO NOT TAKE A CONSULTING FIRM POSITION!!! You will be very under paid for a very long time. Manufacturing is where the money is.
View Quote

This is not the case in the petrochemical industry. Most engineering for the refineries is done by the contractors and they typically get paid more than the engineers int he refineries. The refinery guys work lots of hours but are salary where as the contractors all get paid for every hour you work.

BSME - 20 years in petrochemical - all this years I always did calculations but never with the higher math like DifE and extremely rarely anything that looked like calculus. Lots of problem solving and trouble shooting and interfacing with the client to solve their problems. I enjoyed it because I would often get the hardest issues to work on since I solved them. ASME vessel and piping work required the most calculations with some hydraulics.

Last 16 year I have been working mainly firearms industry. Some calculations but most of it is fairly straight forward. Otherwise its design work with Solidworks which has a nice FEA package with it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I work in the paper industry. Paper machines are big machines with lots of mechanical equipment.  It requires alot of knowledge to design, understand, troubleshoot, and run complex machinery.  Most of my team and my strongest performers are METs or MEs. I also hire a lot with farming back ground as they are out of the box thinkers.  
Paper making is a interesting field.  I has held my interest for 30+ years and.......making toilet paper is a great field for job security. People will give up a lot in a tough economy and they will not stop buying toilet paper :)
View Quote

We have borderline retarded engineers I think it's just the GP way but usually it's the machine tenders and millwrights that catch hell for incompetent engineers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Mechanical Engineer here

First place was surveying instruments product development.  Learned a lot.  Interesting products.  Focus on product design and testing with rigorous design analysis.  CAD heavy.

Second place was aerospace manufacturing.  Learned a lot.  Interesting products.  Focus on manufacturing ancient designs cheaply, save a buck anywhere possible, mostly through assembly process changes.  Lots of troubleshooting.  Microsoft Word heavy.

Third place is focused on maintenance and repair in a large old facility.  Still learning.  Interesting old machinery.  Far more independent project management than anywhere else.  Take a problem and point mechanics and electricians in the right direction to solve it.  Mix of CAD, planning, process creation, lots of field inspection and oversight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have borderline retarded engineers I think it's just the GP way but usually it's the machine tenders and millwrights that catch hell for incompetent engineers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work in the paper industry. Paper machines are big machines with lots of mechanical equipment.  It requires alot of knowledge to design, understand, troubleshoot, and run complex machinery.  Most of my team and my strongest performers are METs or MEs. I also hire a lot with farming back ground as they are out of the box thinkers.  
Paper making is a interesting field.  I has held my interest for 30+ years and.......making toilet paper is a great field for job security. People will give up a lot in a tough economy and they will not stop buying toilet paper :)

Usually in the paper industry, engineering is a background role. Not much effort is given in mentoring or developing good engineers. Many companies have dropped their in house engineering and construction groups and rely on consultants that have no ownership in what they are designing or building. The result is many projects completed poorly and passed to operations and maintenance to fix.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a thermal engineer (mechanical engineering degree) who designs, assembles, and operates custom test hardware for electronics thermal testing.  

The homework and exam problems you have in an undergrad degree are meant to teach you problem solving skills and the fundamental concepts of engineering.  They are not meant to be representative of what you'll actually do in industry.  I haven't had to solve ODEs or code a point jacobi solver, but it was still valuable to learn them at one point.  Programming, algebra, basic statistics, basic thermal analysis, and basic circuit analysis are the main engineering skills that I use frequently.  

I do have a bit of a "problem" (I guess if you want to call it that) with the engineers who brag about how they use 0% of what they learned in school at their engineering job.  I'm not sure why you're bragging about that.  You're either doing trivial work which you're overqualified for, or your employer hasn't yet caught on that they could get the same quality work from a non-engineer with a non-engineer salary.  The ability to apply the principles of physics in the form of mathematical equations to solve real world technical problems is what differentiates an engineer from a technician or a machinist.  And no, that doesn't mean that engineers are "better" than technicians or machinists, so let's not start that...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm the in house expert on our heat treat furnaces among other things.  

About 6 months ago one of our sales guys sent me a set of prints for a part we were quoting.  Wanted to know if it would fit in our heat treat furnaces.  He felt kinda bad when I told him something to the effect of "Fuck the heat treat furnaces, that part won't fit through a single door in the plant!"  We have 18' wide doors...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You spend all your time figuring out how to make the impossible shit that your Sales or Business Development departments sold, actually possible..

About 6 months ago one of our sales guys sent me a set of prints for a part we were quoting.  Wanted to know if it would fit in our heat treat furnaces.  He felt kinda bad when I told him something to the effect of "Fuck the heat treat furnaces, that part won't fit through a single door in the plant!"  We have 18' wide doors...

How do you get truck deliveries?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You spend all your time figuring out how to make the impossible shit that your Sales or Business Development departments sold, actually possible..

Loading docks or unloaded in the yard.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top