Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I just overheard on the radio that they're NOT giving away cards...I'm at work.  Is anyone in front of a TV that can verify that they're actually handing these things out?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Blow the levees in place, MOAB.

Oops, too late.

My government sucks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
"I can not wait until I get my card, I need to get my hair done"

Just heard it on CBS radio.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
NO CARDS HAVE BEEN HANDED OUT YET

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

Thousands of people formed lines at the Astrodome and at the downtown convention center here in Houston Wednesday after hearing rumors that turned out to be inaccurate.  They had heard that FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was giving out housing credits and debit cards to any evacuee who showed up.

In fact, FEMA officials were taking applications for both and there will still be long waits for financial assistance even after the forms are filled out. To make matters worse, FEMA cut off the processing while hundreds were still in line.

"We are going to have to let the next group through and that is all that can register for FEMA today," FEMA announces on loudspeaker.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, I wish I had a way to sell rims outside the dome.  If they even have a shopping cart you know they'll put rims on it.

I'm sorry, that's terrible, but so hilarious too

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"I can not wait until I get my card, I need to get my hair done DID "

Just heard it on CBS radio.

fixed it..

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

Thousands of people formed lines at the Astrodome and at the downtown convention center here in Houston Wednesday after hearing rumors that turned out to be inaccurate.  They had heard that FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was giving out housing credits and debit cards to any evacuee who showed up.

In fact, FEMA officials were taking applications for both and there will still be long waits for financial assistance even after the forms are filled out. To make matters worse, FEMA cut off the processing while hundreds were still in line.

"We are going to have to let the next group through and that is all that can register for FEMA today," FEMA announces on loudspeaker.

Wow.  How long before we see burning dumpsters and overturned cars?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

Not too long, I'm sure.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Since this is OUR money that's being frivolously thrown around on DEBIT cards, it should be very easy for FEMA to track and report on where and how the money is spent.  As taxpayers, we have a right to know how these cards are used.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since this is OUR money that's being frivolously thrown around on DEBIT cards, it should be very easy for FEMA to track and report on where and how the money is spent.  As taxpayers, we have a right to know how these cards are used.

Why isn't Ted Kennedy call for a Congressional Investigation?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

oh hell no..

I drive around the reunion area < dallas shelter > and all 'seems' fine.. hopefully we got a better group of people..

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

oh hell no..

I drive around the reunion area < dallas shelter > and all 'seems' fine.. hopefully we got a better group of people..

We'll see. I'm not far from there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Honestly, how is passing out a debit card going to help these folks?  Hasn't the government realized that the money is just going to be used for expensive electronics and booze?  Sorry if that assessment is cold but I've seen too much to believe otherwise.  MJD

No it won't be used for that, they already looted all that stuff.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#14]
TEACH EM' TO FISH!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Honestly, how is passing out a debit card going to help these folks?  Hasn't the government realized that the money is just going to be used for expensive electronics and booze?  Sorry if that assessment is cold but I've seen too much to believe otherwise.  MJD

No it won't be used for that, they aleady looted all that stuff.

hey they still need batteries for the remotes to the plasma tv's...

also just heard there are 2 cards .. one from fema and one from the redcross.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The kicker to me was "I can't wait to get my card, I'm going to the salon to get my hair did so that way I will feel clean."

What BS.  

LMAO!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, I wish I had a way to sell rims outside the dome.  If they even have a shopping cart you know they'll put rims on it.

I'm sorry, that's terrible, but so hilarious too

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The kicker to me was "I can't wait to get my card, I'm going to the salon to get my hair did so that way I will feel clean."

What BS.  

LMAO!!!

This just gets better and better (or worse and worse if you so desire).

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What BS.  

LMAO!!!

This just gets better and better (or worse and worse if you so desire).

FO' sure
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$2,000 free debit cards

About 240,000 refugees

Total cost of cards 480 MILLION DOLLARS

How many think this handout will be used for necessities only?  

That would buy a lot of ammo.

I was thinking it would buy a lot of Fried chicken, and watermelon.  AMybe some schlitz malt liquor, and waffles, what do you think.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Q:  How much crack will a $2,000 debit card buy?

A:  Stick around because we'll find out soon!  This is merely an extension of the food stamp program, except with no limitations.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Q:  How much crack will a $2,000 debit card buy?

A:  Stick around because we'll find out soon!  This is merely an extension of the food stamp program, except with no limitations.

the hotttest new "must have " for the local crack dealer..

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Voice of America News.
by Greg Flakus
Houston, Texas
08 September 2005

No later than Monday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Once again the federal government they love so much is mired in red tape.  When will they learn that the best thing to do is take responsibility for themselves?  The problem is that the government tit never runs dry (as long as we keep paying our taxes).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I just went by the dome.

Nothing exciting going on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Once again the federal government they love so much is mired in red tape.  When will they learn that the best thing to do is take responsibility for themselves?  The problem is that the government tit never runs dry (as long as we keep paying our taxes).

OK so you have no family no house no car no job and where you used to work is obliterated.

What would you do to take responsability for yourself?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#27]
A great philosopher once said 'build a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life'.

Wait, that's not quite right....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A great philosopher once said 'build a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life'.

Wait, that's not quite right....

MWAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
$2,000 free debit cards

About 240,000 refugees

Total cost of cards 480 MILLION DOLLARS

How many think this handout will be used for necessities only?  

Why it is still going to be a lot of money, they are giving the debit cards to each household, not each person.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#30]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Once again the federal government they love so much is mired in red tape. When will they learn that the best thing to do is take responsibility for themselves? The problem is that the government tit never runs dry (as long as we keep paying our taxes).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so you have no family no house no car no job and where you used to work is obliterated.

First thing, look for a job, so I could buy some things I lost in New Orleans.  If it were me, I would not return to New Orleans to live.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sit on my ass and complain that the .gov is not doing enough to take care of my every need.

go out and get a job, and begin to put my life back together
this is not the first great disaster to hit this country, folks just put there lives back together and moved on. I know that is calous and mean spirited in todays Oprah/Dr.Phil's version of reality. If the .gov keeps handing out $$ they won't go away, and they will become increasingly violent about getting their handouts
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sit on my ass and complain that the .gov is not doing enough to take care of my every need.

this is not the first great disaster to hit this country, folks just put there lives back together and moved on. I know that is calous and mean spirited in todays Oprah/Dr.Phil's version of reality. If the .gov keeps handing out $$ they won't go away, and they will become increasingly violent about getting their handouts

Get a job where?  You are in a city who just got 150,000 unemployed people.  Did you bing a resume from your house before it washed away?  Do you want to take a shower before your interview?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The churches are being praised as the first responders.  Maybe the Red Cross could see fit to give the Churches the debit cards.  As the Mayor or Baton Rouge said, there are 360,000 churches in the US.  If each one just sponsored one family the issue would be moot on all questions of jobs, housing, education, food, and ACCOUNTABILITY.  No one would be left standing in the street crying about the frickin government.  God, I'm getting sick of this national whinefest
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a job where?  You are in a city who just got 150,000 unemployed people.  Did you bing a resume from your house before it washed away?  Do you want to take a shower before your interview?

We are talking about a 2K shopping spree on the taxpayer, not about a shelter with food, water, and a place to cleanup. From what I am hearing, the basics and then some are already being taken care of either by private donations or .gov handouts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You gotta be shitting me.  You really think the people in the Astrodome
had a house, car and job?    
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's what I was thinking.......

What kind of reimbursement do you give to professional leeches???

A lot of these people were in the projects, and unemployed.

Why should they get another hand out???

( I spent 12 hours on saturday setting up a shelter for evacuees, and most seemed nice, but there ARE some scary looking people there)

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does crack dealer or lookout count as job experience?  

<interviewer> What kind of position are you looking for?  <interviewer>

<hurricane survivor> An ex-junkie. <huricane survivor>
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is a story that talks about the debit cards.  The statement below says it's not practical but what that means I'm not sure.

September 4, 2005

Red Cross planning for Internet kiosks

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — The government is calling on the American Red Cross to take on a technological challenge the dimensions of which it has never before confronted.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency told the organization famous for blood drives and providing blankets to set up Internet kiosks in nearly 200 shelters scattered across the hurricane-stricken Gulf Coast, many of them still without power. It must put in a phone system so that people displaced by the storm can report that they're alive. And it is expected to create a digital mortuary to gather the names of the dead.

Along with volunteers to organize soup kitchens, the Red Cross is dispatching engineers to set up wireless networks and trucks outfitted with satellite equipment that will allow isolated shelters to communicate with the rest of the world.

The Red Cross has no choice but to learn on the fly and do as it's asked, said Steven Cooper, who joined the Red Cross as chief information officer just three months ago, after 21/2 years in a similar position at the Department of Homeland Security.

"We're being tasked with things that even I'm scratching my head at, and saying, 'How are we going to do this?'" Cooper said. But he has been through a crisis before. Somehow, he said, it will come together.

Communications are just part of the technological task ahead. Cooper has to figure out how to get money to hundreds of thousands of penniless, homeless people.

After the four hurricanes in Florida last year, Red Cross workers interviewed victims and issued debit cards worth up to $1,200 that could be used to buy food and clothing. That is not practical this time.

FEMA, which is leading the relief effort, had still more assignments. Contact mortuaries, FEMA told the Red Cross, and start to compile a secure database with names of the dead. The Red Cross had never handled such a job before, but software developers were quickly assigned.

The Web site on which families can search for missing relatives was already up. But FEMA also asked the Red Cross to come up with a phone system that would provide the same service because some families might not have Internet access.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#42]
What bank account are these debit cards inked to exactly? Or are they the more PC welfare cards that are actually food stamps in disguise?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd go to the fucking bank and get some of my money.  The .gov won't give me any, but sure takes it to give to folks that won't work.

Fuck me to hell for planning for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Don't live underwater in a hurricane zone.

If I ignore #1 then...

2) Have a PLAN to evacuate WHEN when the hurricane that I KNOW is going to come someday finally DOES come rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me.

3) Save money and supplies for the hurricane-disaster that I KNOW is going to come someday rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me..

4) Keep financial records WITH ME at all times including my checking and savings account info in which I socked away a 3-6-month reserve fund JUST for this occasion that I KNEW was going to come someday rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me..

5) Be mentally, financially and materially prepared to bug out on 12 hours notice BECAUSE I knowingly chose to live underwater in a hurricane zone, rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me.

THAT is how people "take responsiblity" for themselves.

Taking responsiblity for yourself doesn't start the day before the hurricane hits.

Nearly all of those people (adults for sure) CHOSE to NOT take responsiblity for themselves for years on end and that was just plain stupid.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#45]
$2,000 will buy alot Big Macs and large fries meals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ignore #1 then...

2) Have a PLAN to evacuate WHEN when the hurricane that I KNOW is going to come someday finally DOES come rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me.

3) Save money and supplies for the hurricane-disaster that I KNOW is going to come someday rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me..

4) Keep financial records WITH ME at all times including my checking and savings account info in which I socked away a 3-6-month reserve fund JUST for this occasion that I KNEW was going to come someday rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me..

5) Be mentally, financially and materially prepared to bug out on 12 hours notice BECAUSE I knowingly chose to live underwater in a hurricane zone, rather than rely on the Gov't to take care of me.

Taking responsiblity for yourself doesn't start the day before the hurricane hits.

Nearly all of those people (adults for sure) CHOSE to NOT take responsiblity for themselves for years on end and that was just plain stupid.

VERY well said!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here is a story that talks about the debit cards.  The statement below says it's not practical but what that means I'm not sure.

September 4, 2005

Red Cross planning for Internet kiosks

The Washington Post...

After the four hurricanes in Florida last year, Red Cross workers interviewed victims and issued debit cards worth up to $1,200 that could be used to buy food and clothing. That is not practical this time.

I live in Florida's Gulf Coast, I recently moved from Ft Walton Beach to Panama City. After participating in Hurricanes for the last 12 years, including: Opal, Irene and Ivan, The red cross issued debit cards on a case by case basis to people in DIRE need. That need usually included criteria such as: Destroyed home, destroyed workplace, escaping with your life and the clothes on you back, but with community ties such as a job and a residence that could be reinstated after the disaster had cleared. These debit cards were never freely given to anyone who showed up in the "free debit card" line...

I understand that the displaced from NO meet the no job, no shelter escaped with the clothes on my back criteria. But, they didn't so much escape, as they waited for the gov to come get them, put them on a bus, take them to another city, all the while not paying for any of it. The red cross helps people get their lives back together by the principal of "teach a man to fish...", at least this is what I have witnessed in my past 12 years of hurricane experience in my area of the country.

As for all of the blame games in politics, and people from NO ranting that no one is taking care of them... well, myself and my neighbors took care of ourselves just fine. When my roof was torn off last year during Ivan, and the streets became a river overnight(we had evacuated to higher ground before the storm hit) we never cried "who's going to take care of us?" After the water receeded and we were able to get into the neighborhood, we surveyed the damage, drove a few nails, covered wood frames with tarps, salavaged what we could, called the insurance and headed out of town to stay with friends until conditons became livable at home. All of this was done at my expense, the home repair was covered by insurance later, but  being prepared ahead of time was my own doing. After our neighborhood was secured as best as possible, myself and many others joined volunteer groups to help people with severe damge and problems try to get back to normal in neighboring communities. After seeing other people's destroyed homes, I felt like I got off easy.

I have never seen or heard of locals and government whine about how they aren't being taken care of like I am witnessing now with NO and hurricane katrina. Even last year when central Florida was ravaged and people were living in tents at local fairgounds, there was a sense of community and cooperation, not "where's my free money and bus ride?"

NO is a failure of humanity in my opinion, not of gov, or response teams but as a reflection of what happens when people become dependant on handouts and have no concept of community or looking past themselves and who is going to o everything for them.

This is the first Hurricane I have seen where the people are being counterproductive to their own rebuilding by depending on others rather than taking any initiative. And FEMA,  state gov and local gov are too busy playing politics and the blame game to do anything useful on a grand scale.

Florida has routinely been battered by hurricanes, but the local gov knows that the people are expecting that and that we don't readily rely on them or FEMA or fedreal gov to bail us out.

It has been my experience that disasters bring out the best in people. When we are all sitting in the dark together after a destructive event, we seem to come together and do just fine without the National Gaurd, or police forces having to fight to maintain the slightest bit of order.

When NO is finally back together, I don't think it is a place I want to visit anymore based on what I've seen of its reaction to this hurricane.

The debit cards are not practical in the case of NO because, they would be a shopping spree, not a means to get one's family to a safer environment, or to buy food or water. The displaced of NO that are in Houston already have tose needs met for them, almost everything has been done FOR THEM, they don't NEED $2000 to go shopping in Houston.... my $.02
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's see....  I would tap into the money I would have had in MY FDIC insured savings account.  Find a cheap hotel.  Get a backup copy of my resume on my Yahoo! briefcase.  Start looking for a new job.  Of course this is AFTER I got out of the way of the hurricane 3 days in advance because I would never allow myself to be THAT vulnerable.  But that's just me.

I guess I could just sit in a big room and just wait for my feeding pellet government assistance along with all the others that were not prepared.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ignore #1 then...

bravo.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Do any crack dealers take Visa?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top