Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd recommend reading up on the history of Russia 1915 through 1921.  These things don't happen instantly, but they happen much faster than you'll realize until it is too late.  There are a good number of people on the site who know me in person, and can vouch for my unique perspective from which I am viewing the events unfolding around us.

If this website is still around, then when I am no longer in the position I am I'll tell the story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going back to the beginning of this thread, where are we on the "exponentially worse" timeline that Ben mentioned? (not trolling, just looking for an update if possible)

I'd recommend reading up on the history of Russia 1915 through 1921.  These things don't happen instantly, but they happen much faster than you'll realize until it is too late.  There are a good number of people on the site who know me in person, and can vouch for my unique perspective from which I am viewing the events unfolding around us.

If this website is still around, then when I am no longer in the position I am I'll tell the story.

Hopefully it doesn't happen too fast cuz I'm really looking forward to the APC challenge this spring!  Also, I've been busy focusing on PT and networking so my comms study is really lacking. I did finally get my power supply in the mail today though. Unfortunately I have more reading to do than I have time. I really need a comms sensi
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Now for my buddy to help me set up an antenna (and for me to get my General.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/186462/IC-718_box_jpg-1790960.JPG
View Quote

Nice work

My FT891 got here Monday. Upgrading to general tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It wont accept them on chirp, or will not display them and instead only show the freq? If its showing freq, that is a setting you need to adjust for channel A/B. They can show freq or name as desired.
View Quote

Quoted:

In Chirp make sure Settings->Basic Settings->Display Mode(A) & (B) = "Name"
View Quote

THANK YOU!!!!!

That did it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats on the new toy!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nice work

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice work

Thank you!

And Congrats.

I was trying to buy a Kenwood TS-4XX series on recommendation, but watching and bidding on eBay, it seems amateur radio is suffering a run as well. I was very fortunate to find this basic but solid unit new for roughly $300 less than what some 25-year-old radios are going for.

It will serve me well, and if I fall in love with amature radio, I hope to have the opportunity to upgrade in the future. Right now, I need to learn enough to feel comfortable to key the mic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Congrats on the new toy!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks!

What kinda antenna are you going to put up?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks!

I have over an acre with no HOA and a bunch of trees roughly 100'  60-70' tall. My intention is to fish line and run a dipole between two trees way up. No idea yet about the exact layout. I have a chimney from what I assume used to be a gas furnace that we may tie to. I'll happily post pictures of my setup once it's complete.

I'm headed out of town in the next few days, so I imagine it'll be about a week and a half to two.

ETA my tree heights are way off. They're big and old, but not that big.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have over an acre with no HOA and a bunch of trees roughly 100' tall. My intention is to fish line and run a dipole between two trees way up. No idea yet about the exact layout. I have a chimney from what I assume used to be a gas furnace that we may tie to. I'll happily post pictures of my setup once it's complete.

I'm headed out of town in the next few days, so I imagine it'll be about a week and a half to two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the new toy!

Thanks!

I have over an acre with no HOA and a bunch of trees roughly 100' tall. My intention is to fish line and run a dipole between two trees way up. No idea yet about the exact layout. I have a chimney from what I assume used to be a gas furnace that we may tie to. I'll happily post pictures of my setup once it's complete.

Sounds similar to what I plan on doing. Just have a little more space and an HOA that does not care.

I prolly will have a few different antennas.

Remember with dipoles that the antenna for the antenna is going to radiate to it's sides. So say the wire is length wise facing east and west, the main radiation will be north and south.

Look at a map like this to figure out how you want the antenna to face if you can. Antenna aiming (especially with something like a beam) will make you look at the world different.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds similar to what I plan on doing. Just have a little more space and an HOA that does not care.

I prolly will have a few different antennas.

Remember with dipoles that the antenna for the antenna is going to radiate to it's sides. So say the wire is length wise facing east and west, the main radiation will be north and south.

Look at a map like this to figure out how you want the antenna to face if you can. Antenna aiming (especially with something like a beam) will make you look at the world different.

https://www.geographicus.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/L/AmateurRadioWorldMap-arrl-1976.jpg
View Quote

Gross overestimation on my part on tree height. I never really paid attention, but I just did my old Boy Scout thumb test after standing next to one of my hardwoods close to the house and it looks like they're mostly between 60-70' with as much as 50' usable for my purposes unless I go to the woods and cast up in a pine.

I have a Northern exposure (it sucks...the woods behind my house and the trees around it inhibit gardening.)

ETA so if I go across my yard, my antenna will be west-east or vice versa.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]
40~50 feet is not a bad height for a dipole. Not a great 80m DX height, but it'll do for sure.

Going to do a single element with a tuner, or fan dipole or what were you thinking?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
40~50 feet is not a bad height for a dipole. Not a great 80m DX height, but it'll do for sure.

Going to do a single element with a tuner, or fan dipole or what were you thinking?
View Quote

I don't know enough yet to be sure (lol) but it seems like the plan is to do a single element with a tuner.

I haven't gotten a tuner yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was going to say the same thing. And you can always get an antenna switch and have more than one dipole/antenna. The nice thing about dipoles is they are super easy to make.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I haven't even unboxed my Icom all the way. The power supply is still wrapped as well.

If I'm up and running by the end of next month, mission accomplished.

And I should be, hopefully before then with a Zoom test.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#16]
If I have to wait for my local club, it'll be March something.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't even unboxed my Icom all the way. The power supply is still wrapped as well.

If I'm up and running by the end of next month, mission accomplished.

And I should be, hopefully before then with a Zoom test.
View Quote

If you want to play and just tune around the bands, you pretty much can hook everything up and just string up a wire in your room until you get general and such. Don't need a tuner to listen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
If anyone wants Italy 7.185. IK4GRO.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you want to play and just tune around the bands, you pretty much can hook everything up and just string up a wire in your room until you get general and such. Don't need a tuner to listen.
View Quote

Yeah, I highly doubt I'll wait to get the license to hook up and listen. I've been trying to play with the html stuff as it is. Even with the classes, I'm struggling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I highly doubt I'll wait to get the license to hook up and listen. I've been trying to play with the html stuff as it is. Even with the classes, I'm struggling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand completely. I did somewhat at first myself. I found taking the practice tests and writing down the correct answers when I missed one helped me a lot.

I need to study for extra. It's a little different animal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:37:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I understand completely. I did somewhat at first myself. I found taking the practice tests and writing down the correct answers when I missed one helped me a lot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll get it, no doubt. All of this is just completely out of my wheelhouse.

It actually makes it more attractive. I love a challenge, truly, and this is all completely foreign to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It actually makes it more attractive. I love a challenge, truly, and this is all completely foreign to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radio is a lot of fun and really challenging. How deep you want to get into it depends on how much money you want to spend. But stringing a wire up in a tree and talking to someone thousands of miles away is very satisfying.

I almost worked the Italy station I posted above off 100 watts and a simple portable vertical antenna with a few ground radials. He could hear me but could not copy.

There is a lot of "magic" in the RF world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Radio is a lot of fun and really challenging. How deep you want to get into it depends on how much money you want to spend. But stringing a wire up in a tree and talking to someone thousands of miles away is very satisfying.

I almost worked the Italy station I posted above off 100 watts and a simple portable vertical antenna with a few ground radials. He could hear me but could not copy.

View Quote

There's something else. I want to get a VHF/UHF transceiver as well. I want to run both and/or take the mobile with me to the land lease or on the road. Any recommendations?

I'd appreciate anyone's input.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's something else. I want to get a VHF/UHF transceiver as well. I want to run both and/or take the mobile with me to the land lease or on the road. Any recommendations?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally run Moto gear. But that's for other reasons. I'm a big iCom fan. But also really like Yaesu radios.

I've had the predecessor to the ID-4100 as well as the 2730. If I were to venture back to dedicated ham radios I'd prolly go back to one of those. But really you're not going to go wrong with any of the radios from any of the big 4.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I personally run Moto gear. But that's for other reasons. I'm a big iCom fan. But also really like Yaesu radios.

I've had the predecessor to the ID-4100 as well as the 2730. If I were to venture back to dedicated ham radios I'd prolly go back to one of those. But really you're not going to go wrong with any of the radios from any of the big 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I think the ID-4100 is the value. I'm getting that one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations on your rig.  I am still trying to figure out what to do about an antenna myself.  I have a Comet 250b up right now for HF.  I could receive a lot of ARFCOM's Tuesday net - but very little lifted the meter past 1.  Given that specific antenna has a huge dummy load on it - I seriously doubt I will be able to talk back effectively.  Might start a thread in the ham forum to chew on better options.  In town I am limited by a lot of trees and no space for ground radials (and do not want to replace the remains of the existing tower - not planning on living here that much longer).  At the ranch I am limited mostly by budget - don't want to invest a lot till the house is built.  Fish camp is kind of the same - but add to it, will probably never want to invest a lot in that antenna (it will only attract thieves or get torn up by storms).
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll be a good radio and it's nice having a small control head to place. Hopefully the menu system is a little better now. But I really liked my IC-208 that I had.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Passed General 34/35. Apparently I studied too hard
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who would that be? iCom, Yaesu, and...  ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn all of you to financial ruin!
I was able to resist for over a week but in the last hour I ordered a Xiegu G90. Already updated my Baofengs with Nagoya antennas and I am taking my technician exam next month, might even try for the general if I feel lucky.
I have a lot more to learn...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Passed General 34/35. Apparently I studied too hard
View Quote

Congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood are the "big 3" companies... if someone says "big 4" they're apparently including Alinco. Those are the bigger companies that make equipment designed for the Amateur market.

There are a few smaller companies that make Amateur-specific equipment, mostly HF oriented stuff. Elecraft and Ten-Tec for example.

Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu also make radios for other communications markets like Land Mobile, Aviation, and Marine. Just because it's Icom or Kenwood doesn't mean it's an amateur radio.

The influx of cheap chinese radios confuses the newcomers quite a bit, as those radios aren't designed for amateur radio but are instead are asian land mobile products. People buy them because they are cheap.

Land mobile products are very common on VHF/UHF bands for typical FM/repeater/digital modes work for a variety of reasons. DMR is a common digital mode but there aren't any "amateur" DMR radios for example.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood are the "big 3" companies... if someone says "big 4" they're apparently including Alinco. Those are the bigger companies that make equipment designed for the Amateur market.

There are a few smaller companies that make Amateur-specific equipment, mostly HF oriented stuff. Elecraft and Ten-Tec for example.

Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu also make radios for other communications markets like Land Mobile, Aviation, and Marine. Just because it's Icom or Kenwood doesn't mean it's an amateur radio.

The influx of cheap chinese radios confuses the newcomers quite a bit, as those radios aren't designed for amateur radio but are instead are asian land mobile products. People buy them because they are cheap.

Land mobile products are very common on VHF/UHF bands for typical FM/repeater/digital modes work for a variety of reasons. DMR is a common digital mode but there aren't any "amateur" DMR radios for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I was including Alinco. I've had a couple of their radios and have had no complaints. I really hate that I sold my 220 radio that I had from them. But iCom would be my top pick. My uncle who got me into this always gave me shit for picking the expensive guys.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a technician exam scheduled for next Thursday.

Have been passing the practice exams pretty easily but still, tests make me nervous af.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Yay!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Have been passing the practice exams pretty easily but still, tests make me nervous af.
View Quote

Don't stress too much. You only have to make a 70 or better. And barely passing does not make any difference.

I passed my general after only studying for a week and a buddy having a impromptu testing session and there was a possibility that I was had and was drinking at the time.  So. you've got this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I ended up digging around and in the back of the closet I found my old Radio Shack DX-402.
It still works!
Going to have to string up an outside wire antenna and see how it does.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't stress too much. You only have to make a 70 or better. And barely passing does not make any difference.

I passed my general after only studying for a week and a buddy having a impromptu testing session and there was a possibility that I was had and was drinking at the time.  So. you've got this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a little bourbon before the exam starts to calm my nerves, excellent idea.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I ended up digging around and in the back of the closet I found my old Radio Shack DX-402.
It still works!
Going to have to string up an outside wire antenna and see how it does.
View Quote

I have a DX-400 from my youth, I should try it sometime.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If anyone wants Italy 7.185. IK4GRO.
View Quote

Lauro is a great guy! He was my first DX contact after a VERY long dry spell. He checked his log and reminded me we had a contact years ago when I was just getting started on HF.

I always answer his CQ if I can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#43]

I scored this for $3 at a used bookstore I visited today. I'm sure it's a little outdated, but it should still be a wealth of knowledge for someone who knows absolutely nothing about amatuer radio other than how to pass the license tests.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/LWCPRQE.jpg

I scored this for $3 at a used bookstore I visited today. I'm sure it's a little outdated, but it should still be a wealth of knowledge for someone who knows absolutely nothing about amatuer radio other than how to pass the license tests.
View Quote

We just got a half price books here, I have been meaning to stop and look around. Used book stores have been pretty good for me. I used to stop at book off in Honolulu and always found a couple to bring home with me. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight once I get off work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We just got a half price books here, I have been meaning to stop and look around. Used book stores have been pretty good for me. I used to stop at book off in Honolulu and always found a couple to bring home with me. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight once I get off work.
View Quote

The Half Price Books in my area is about 20 minutes from my home and is an outlet version, so the prices there are dirt cheap ($3 or less). My wife likes to hit the $1 DVD section every week or two.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I strung up some wire outside and was getting in a station in Melbourne, Australia and one in (I think) Japan on the new GP-5ssb.  I still don't really know what I'm doing but it's relatively inexpensive fun anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey look, some radio books!

Attachment Attached File

Wait a second....What are those?
Damn you all spending my money for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hey look, some radio books!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0124211239a_2_jpg-1794860.JPG

Wait a second....What are those?
Damn you all spending my money for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0124211240_2_jpg-1794862.JPG
View Quote

Good score! Looks like you have a lot of reading ahead of you! I probably have a hundred books that I bought there on dollar day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I strung up some wire outside and was getting in a station in Melbourne, Australia and one in (I think) Japan on the new GP-5ssb.  I still don't really know what I'm doing but it's relatively inexpensive fun anyway.
View Quote

Were you following a design or did you randomly throw a piece of coax in a tree?
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top