Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said many times.

Leonidas

He was trained from a young age to be a warrior. Especially as he was a second born and wasn't expected to be king.

Marcus Aurelius  was a philosopher king. I'm sure he knew how to swing a sword but I'm sure he lacked the intense training of King Leonidas.

Shit...RIF...

I'd still pick Leonidas over Maximus Decimus Meridius. One came from a warrior society the other was a soldier. Much like the Arcadians the Spartans met on the road.

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/Canonista/300motiv.jpg

Following the victory in the Second Messenian War of the seventh century, Sparta established itself as a local power in Peloponnesus and the rest of Greece. During the following centuries, Sparta's reputation as a land-fighting force was unequaled.[4] In 480 BC a small Spartan, Thespian, and Laconian unit under King Leonidas numbering at about 1,000-1,900 [5], made a legendary last stand against a massive, invading Persian army causing a very high casualty rate in comparison to the Persian forces at the Battle of Thermopylae before eventually being encircled. The superior weaponry, strategy, and bronze armor of the Greek hoplites and their phalanx again proved their worth one year later when Sparta assembled at full strength, and led a Greek alliance against the Persians at Plataea. The decisive Greek victory at Plataea put an end to the Greco-Persian War along with Persian ambition of expanding into Europe. Even though this war was won by a pan-Greek army, credit was given to Sparta, who besides being the protagonist at Thermopylae and Plataea, had been the de facto leader of the entire Greek expedition.[6]

Ho hum..
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I say Leonidas has the savagery, Maximus the brains.  Tossup.

My wife says Leonidas would win because, in her words, "Maximus win? No way.  Leonidas is WAAAAAAY hotter."  I guess she thinks Fabio could take Goldberg in a cage match, too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, 300 Spartans vs. 300 Roman infantry....Spartans by a mile.

Unless its the 13th Pullo and Vorenus could pull it off

Hope Leoindas didnt say something about the 13th
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
And just for some perspective, the Romans routinely dealt with Persian like hordes outnumbering them 10 to 1. In the Battle of Watling Street in Britain, the odds were 20 to 1 and yet the Romans won - using some of the same tactics the Spartan 300 employed centuries earlier.

One thing for sure though, few Roman generals (if any) led so few against so many knowing full well it was a one way street.

Tom Clancy has a book about a Marine Brigade or something duking it out with the combined armies of Iraq (post-Saddam) and Iran somewhere in the desert. The Marines win, of course.

On the Eastern Front some German divisions faced similar odds and lost only because they ran out of ammunition. Mindset, training, motivation...wins almost every time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And just for some perspective, the Romans routinely dealt with Persian like hordes outnumbering them 10 to 1. In the Battle of Watling Street in Britain, the odds were 20 to 1 and yet the Romans won - using some of the same tactics the Spartan 300 employed centuries earlier.

One thing for sure though, few Roman generals (if any) led so few against so many knowing full well it was a one way street.

Tom Clancy has a book about a Marine Brigade or something duking it out with the combined armies of Iraq (post-Saddam) and Iran somewhere in the desert. The Marines win, of course.

On the Eastern Front some German divisions faced similar odds and lost only because they ran out of ammunition. Mindset, training, motivation...wins almost every time.

well you did say almost.. mindset motivation and training? technology ALWAYS trumps that.. lots of that failing are extant in iraq/afghanistan.. few are as motivated and have the mindset of the jihadi..
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Homoerotic fictional character vs. homoerotic fictionalized historic character.
The winner is a gay wetdream either way.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maximus was a farmer.

Leonidas was a soldier.

Maximus was a soldier too. He also happened to own a farm.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Homoerotic fictional character vs. homoerotic fictionalized historic character.
The winner is a gay wetdream either way.

Best answer, ever.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maximus was a farmer gladiator.

Leonidas was a soldier.

Maximus.  Gladiators were trained specifically for those kind of scenarios.

Plus I liked 'Gladiator' far better as a film.  '300' was kind of embarrassing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
2 answers:

Movie Leonidas vs. Movie Maximus = Leonidas

Real Leonidas vs a Gladiator with the purported skill of Maximus = Maximus

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:47:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leonidas

He was trained from a young age to be a warrior. Especially as he was a second born and wasn't expected to be king.

Marcus Aurelius  was a philosopher king. I'm sure he knew how to swing a sword but I'm sure he lacked the intense training of King Leonidas.

Shit...RIF...

I'd still pick Leonidas over Maximus Decimus Meridius. One came from a warrior society the other was a soldier. Much like the Arcadians the Spartans met on the road.

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r288/Canonista/300motiv.jpg

Following the victory in the Second Messenian War of the seventh century, Sparta established itself as a local power in Peloponnesus and the rest of Greece. During the following centuries, Sparta's reputation as a land-fighting force was unequaled.[4] In 480 BC a small Spartan, Thespian, and Laconian unit under King Leonidas numbering at about 1,000-1,900 [5], made a legendary last stand against a massive, invading Persian army causing a very high casualty rate in comparison to the Persian forces at the Battle of Thermopylae before eventually being encircled. The superior weaponry, strategy, and bronze armor of the Greek hoplites and their phalanx again proved their worth one year later when Sparta assembled at full strength, and led a Greek alliance against the Persians at Plataea. The decisive Greek victory at Plataea put an end to the Greco-Persian War along with Persian ambition of expanding into Europe. Even though this war was won by a pan-Greek army, credit was given to Sparta, who besides being the protagonist at Thermopylae and Plataea, had been the de facto leader of the entire Greek expedition.[6]

Ho hum..

Well that and the fact that 50 years later the Spartans didnt get wiped out, they instead beat the Athenians in the Peloponnesian war.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The question is 1 on 1. Spartans eat Roman flesh for breakfast.  They were born and raised to fight.  However, when considering size and number of armies, wealth, logistics, engineering skill, ability to hire mercs, etc, Rome wins easily by attrition if nothing else.  They did just that many years later when Rome did conquer Greece.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:44:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Maximus vs. Leonidus hmmmmmm.......

Let's see. Maximus killed a CGI tiger with a gladius, Leonidus a CGI wolf (was it a wolf?) with a spear.  

Advantage Maximus.

Maximus wore armor. Leonidus pranced about in a state of dude nudity. Or as Niel Cumpson says "duddity".

Again, advantage Maximus.

Maximus lost his family invocing a wrathfull vengeance. Leonidus was fighting for his country and his family.

Might be a tie on that one.

Both know that they have everything to lose and yet at the same time they are on borrowed time.

Again tied.

Training, background & motivation...all about the same really.

Gladiators....heh, heh, heh the ghey references run wild wild. Spartans...true historical buttsecksers...

Maximus vs. Leonidus, Too Close To Call

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have to go with maximus. Lenodius was trained in and the spartans were prized for fighting as a phalanx in a group not individual combat

So were the Roman legions. It cancels out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think this may be the greatest vs. question ever asked on arfcom.

Hell yeah it is, Roman vs Spartan that would be a battle i would love to see..
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Best comparative fight poll I have seen on ARFCOM in years!!!

That being said I will say Leo.  Although it would be a hell of a fight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Leonidas was a direct decendent of Hercules.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
They would fight each other to exhaustion...

OF course if we are talking "Spartans vs Romans"

It depends if the romans let the Spartans fight them on their terms. ("Hoplon style", shield to shield) Remember, Romans originally fought this way until times, and enemies made them change their style. (Hastati, Principe's, Triarii) to the legionaries Pilum, scutum, Gladius.

But what made both the Romans and really all Greek armies, first and foremost strong, were the unit cohesion. Both made use of shield as both defensive and offensive tools, and provided protection for their peers.

I would have to give the battle of individuals to the Spartans though, as they were trained from birth in all forms of Melee combat.

Romans true strength was in the engineering./Logistics.

Sorry too ramble, I love this period.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Leonidas was a direct decendent of Hercules.

(Leonidas) "THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT.....THIS IS WHERE YOU DIE!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have to go with maximus. Lenodius was trained in and the spartans were prized for fighting as a phalanx in a group not individual combat

That's a good point.  I voted leonidas but think I might have voted wrong. I think Maximus would have probably won in 1-on-1 combat vs phalanx fighting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Leonidas. It wouldn't last long enough for Leonidas to break a sweat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Leonidas.

It would be over so fast you wouldn't be able to blink.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Leo was good but did not fight for a living. Up to date real experience beats hard core training. Max by a hair.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They would fight each other to exhaustion...

OF course if we are talking "Spartans vs Romans"

It depends if the romans let the Spartans fight them on their terms. ("Hoplon style", shield to shield) Remember, Romans originally fought this way until times, and enemies made them change their style. (Hastati, Principe's, Triarii) to the legionaries Pilum, scutum, Gladius.

But what made both the Romans and really all Greek armies, first and foremost strong, were the unit cohesion. Both made use of shield as both defensive and offensive tools, and provided protection for their peers.

I would have to give the battle of individuals to the Spartans though, as they were trained from birth in all forms of Melee combat.

Romans true strength was in the engineering./Logistics.

Sorry to ramble, I love this period.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Leonidas had been training for war for years. Maximus had been out on the battlefield fighting dozens of them for years. IMO with all else being equal experience trumps training the majority of time. I'll go with Maximus for that reason although I think it would be a good fight with a lot of blood spilled on both sides.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It wouldn't even be funny how either Romans or Spartans would completely own "Gangs of New York."
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Leonidas had been training for war for years. Maximus had been out on the battlefield fighting dozens of them for years. IMO experience trumps training the majority of time. I'll go with Maximus for that reason although I think it would be a good fight with a lot of blood spilled on both sides.

Now where is it said this is his first battle, He became king in 491, it is assured that he was involved in more than one fight against other city states.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
2 answers:

Good points worth considering. My daughter received The 300 DVD the other day in the mail and it had some great behind the scenes segments. The guy that played Leonidas was surprisingly thin without the weightlifting and training, and has now made me think of him and Russel Crowe.

Now, I know Russell Crowe isn't big by any stretch, but consider this. He is from Australia, so he's a little crazy, and when push came to shove at the front desk of a New York hotel, it was Russell Crowe who knocked that smarty pants front desk clerk into the next life with a telephone. Maximus!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Leonidas
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Leonidas had been training for war for years. Maximus had been out on the battlefield fighting dozens of them for years. IMO experience trumps training the majority of time. I'll go with Maximus for that reason although I think it would be a good fight with a lot of blood spilled on both sides.

Now where is it said this is his first battle, He became king in 491, it is assured that he was involved in more than one fight against other city states.

I'm going by what the two movies offered. Anything else would be pointless IMO.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going by what the two movies offered. Anything else would be pointless IMO.

Right,

By strictly movie I suppose it would be close, Leonidas wouldn't know when to quit. "Taught never to run, never to surrender."

Maximus did surrender to the Praetorians, but got them with his hands bound...It would be close.

exhaustingly close.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 answers:

Good points worth considering. My daughter received The 300 DVD the other day in the mail and it had some great behind the scenes segments. The guy that played Leonidas was surprisingly thin without the weightlifting and training, and has now made me think of him and Russel Crowe.

Now, I know Russell Crowe isn't big by any stretch, but consider this. He is from Australia, so he's a little crazy, and when push came to shove at the front desk of a New York hotel, it was Russell Crowe who knocked that smarty pants front desk clerk into the next life with a telephone. Maximus!  

[south park] Its time for the Russell Crowe show! Makin movies, makin songs, and fighting round the world!!![/south park]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Leo
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Bigus Dickus

No way... Incontinentia Buttocks would never have let him out of the house.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow!  Honestly, I don't know who would win that fight.  It would truly be epic.

In the end, however, I would have to lean towards Leonidas because he was trained to be a warrior since he was a small boy.  Superior training + similar arms and armor = and edge to the superior training.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#38]
 no brainer.  leonidas would own his ass and forget about it before maximums could even think about thorwing a phone at him.

ETA: Lenoidas could take chuck norris too.  but not fred.  fred would stare him down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Maximus Decimus Meridius..........he will have his revenge....
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 no brainer.  leonidas would own his ass and forget about it before maximums could even think about thorwing a phone at him.

ETA: Lenoidas could take chuck norris too.  but not fred.  fred would stare him down.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Dude, Maximus was the head of the Felix Legions.  He'd spent his entire life as a soldier and warrior, and he was never defeated in man-to-man combat.  Also, he was smart enough to wear armor.  Leonidas would get his ass handed to him.  

Besides, the Romans were LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Spartans when it came to combat.  The Romans conquered the known world.  The Spartans couldn't even kick the Athenians' asses properly.  Comparing a Roman Legionnaire to a Spartan soldier is like comparing a Marine in Iraq today to some guy in the Civil War.  Night and day, people.

Leonidas did wear armor.  In reality the Spartans used lamelar armor that was usually capable of stopping a spear thrust.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#43]
maximus would have leonidas's head on a plate and looking for desert before Leonidas could say SPARTAAAAAAA

edited to add:
Maximus killed his enemy King, Leonidas choked
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#45]
This is a whole lot better than the Anne Frank VS Lizzie Borden thread.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I would defeat both by using one of John Moses Brownings creations.  

Pick whatever creation you wish.  I'm still going to win!    

ETA Neophyte and Browning OWN page 5!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leonidas

Shit...RIF...

The very first sentence in that image shows that the person that made it is a retard. Nobody said the Spartans "beat Persia." They were fucking annihilated. All they did was hold back the Persian army for a few days and that's what the movie portrays. And furthermore, we can't forget about Sparta leading Greece's armies against Persia and defeated them at Plataea, and ended the war. Also nevermind that Sparta was around even during the Roman Empire.

Lets not bring common sense into this though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I believe Spartans are very well versed in man on man combat. Maximus wouldn't get inside Leonidas' spear.

Either way, Leonidas FTW.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Leo was good but did not fight for a living. Up to date real experience beats hard core training. Max by a hair.

I would think he had fought in battles before.

As for Maximus he was in the areanas for a few months, maybe a year total?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This is a whole lot better than the Anne Frank VS Lizzie Borden thread.

How did I miss that?  Lizzie Borden all the way!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top