Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
1st wife.  37 years in Sept.  She straightened my miserable life out (highway to hell) and I have been eternally faithful and grateful ever since.
Hope we can make the 50th in good health with plenty of grandchildren.  None of them carpet crawlers yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
First and only.  Just celebrated our 20th and looking forward to many more...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
married at 20 divorced at 25

was standing in the courtroom today at 9am listening to my wife tell the judge there was no chance at reconciliation.  oh well, shit happens and then you die.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
married at 20 divorced at 25

was standing in the courtroom today at 9am listening to my wife tell the judge there was no chance at reconciliation.  oh well, shit happens and then you die.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
1st marraige.   We'll have been married 4 years come May
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Marriage #2, for 25 years come August.  Things looked really rough there for a while, seem to be smoothing out.  

Ops
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Divorced.Was married 6 years.
Very much in love with a wonderful lady with 2 kids now.
Enjoying life as it is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Very happily remarried!

HH
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
8 Years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
34 years old, 1st wife. Still going strong after 4.........months.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
1st marriage.  It's been 2 years and 8 months as of yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
1st marriage also.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#13]
First (only) wife.  11+ very happy years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
27 years yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
In the process of ending my first marriage.

It'll be my last. I don't say that out of any hatred or bitterness, but rather as an honest assessment of my future.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My marriage lasted thirteen years. Been dating the famous (infamous?) EB for a couple years now, and she's too good to be true. (I probably should marry her, but I'm a little gunshy about putting my head back in that noose...)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In the process of ending my first marriage.

It'll be my last. I don't say that out of any hatred or bitterness, but rather as an honest assessment of my future.

Wow.  Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
1st and fifteen years last year. I'm not sure how she put up with me through those first 7 or 8 though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
1st working on finishing year 15 as well.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#21]
wow, those numbers really surprise me.  Maybe the divorced guys are just really loud about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
27 years yesterday.

congrats!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
wow, those numbers really surprise me.  Maybe the divorced guys are just really loud about it.

Sounds like an incredibly painful experience.  I don't really blame them for being loud about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#24]
We have been together for 30 years, but...

Shouldn't there be some kind of menopause TIME-OUT for crying out loud?

It hasn't been easy for the last couple of years.

There really should be a "Camp Menopause" you could send them to until
they are back to "normal"

GM

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
how many losers in love do we have here?

I'm a loser and I'm in love. Does that count?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Married - 20 years ...21 in May.   Never happier..never better... no Bull.

If you're honest and sincere, I commend you.

If you're like my friends that say that, then I deserved to have to clean the lemonade off my desk that I blew out my nose when I read this.

Me?  Never married.  Engaged twice.

NEVER HAPPIER!!!

Plenty
almost all of my married guy friends are miserable as hell.  One even turned gay.

John
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#28]
25 years in May.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Divorced, probably getting married this year or the next.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sometimes it seems like we have a LOT of divorcees here getting screwed over.

So, what's the reality?

1st marriage, 19 years for me

Still on my first Marriage (only 5 years) and barely making it...

19 years...to me that's like climbing Everest with no Oxygen Tanks...

30 years...that is walking on water...

Pretty Awsome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
almost all of my married guy friends are miserable as hell.  One even turned gay.

John

I guess it is pretty bad marriage if the wife drives the husband to become Gay....

Poor guy...probably got the strapon treatment...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Made the mistake of marrying a liberal the first time around. Didn't make the same mistake the second time around. So far so good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Married almost 20 years and then Divorced .
I neither regret it or consider myself a loser .

At the time they happed , each was the right
thing to do .
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Going on 8 years married.  Striving to make it last....

Strive as much as possible to make it, your attitude says your going to. Eventually you will both end up needing each other so much that you can't do without each other.  That's when you know the marriage has and will always be a success.

It really is a team effort, and bigger than either one of you.  Adaptation is the key.  Things change, and people change.  Some grow together, some grow apart.

There were a few times in the past we could have split, thank god we made it.  Looking back the reasons that we had friction were money/job/stress/etc based and had nothing to do with each other.

I think the first 8 years or so were the hardest.  The last 5 years have beeen the best.

Wise words.  There have been some major bumps in the road (some are still there) but we're both striving to make it work.  Actually, I think it's getting easier as we go.

Awesome, the payoff is bigger and better the longer you are a team.

What most people don't realize it that life is full of constantly changing phases/stages/chapters/whatever.  Like the "just married stage", the "our first place stage", the "baby/young kids" stage, the "teenager/school/college" stage, the "LACK OF MONEY' stage, etc.  Mixed among those stages are the "what am I going to do for a career" stage, the "other spouse does less than I" stage, the "parents/inlaws are old and dieing" stage, the "I want everything the Jones have" stage, etc. and so fourth.  Add a few disasters here and there, like car accidents, illnesses, infidelity, job loss, hurricanes, so fourth and so on.  Just when you get comfortable again something whacks you.  Sometimes you get whacked multiple times for a few years.  Bad streaks can make you want to lash out, and run from everyone.

The one thing that you need to agree to, is that as a team your stronger than individuals, and while the world turns - you two stay in one place.  Its hard, and at times the fog of emotions and external influences mixed with pride make you almost want to kill your spouse.  You can easily lose the big long term picture for the small now picture.

24 years of marriage has proven to us that sex and love are 2 different things, but both are important and have thier place and time.  We have evolved rather than soured in this area too.

It also helps if your parents said your marriage will never work - you work twice as hard to prove them wrong...

I love my wife, and I'm not afraid to admit that.  She truly "completes" me.  I cannot imagine the loneliness without her.  I appreciate what she does for me and the family.  She is generous, beautiful, and just plain terrific.

Right now she/we are going through another stage where her father is old and suffering from stroke damage, and her mother is old and not able to help at all.  Last week my wife was in Jamaica for a well deserved vacation of absolute nothingness.  This week my wife took her father to 3 rehab appointments, 2 doctor appointments, and one trip to the VA for a test.  She also took her Mom grocery shopping, to the bank, and who knows where else.  Every day this week she has unselfishly been a wonderful devoted daughter, and every day this week she has also been a wife, mother, business co-owner, laundress, cook, and lover.  I'm sure I missed several other hats too.  I wish she wasn't working so hard, and she has my support and respect for doing so.

The sad thing is, that in order to prove your ultimate love and devotion - you really have to die first before people give you credit for a wonderful life and marriage.  In our case, since were a little bit different, everyone thinks we and our marriage is doomed, but our closeness tells us that we have never been so devoted.  It just might be a stage, but like many stages before, we will get through this and move on - together.

I truly wish that you all meet your real soul mate to share lifes ups and downs.  This site has many very "lucky" guys like me, but some of you seem to have given up.  That is a shame, and I hope its just a phase and that someday fate will bring you out of loneliness and into the kind of  happiness we "lucky" guys have.  It can work - we are proof.  It does require effort, just like  anything that's worth having.

PS:  Dr. Phil is a douchebag.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Coming up on 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I need another post, so here is another true story from last week's trip in Jamaica.

There was a very old, and very German man who sat near us on the beach several days.  He was by himself, and he was at Hedonism II alone, which is a bit unusual.  I later found out his name was Herman - as in "Herman the German".  Between the episodes described below he would socialize with people, have small talk, and go for an occasional swim.

The man had a oddly shaped scrapbook that looked like it was custom made.  Something like what you might expect that might have been made in Germany many years ago.  The scrapbook was tall, a bit narrow, but somewhat fat in contents.  In that scrapbook were carefully folded letters in individual plastic sleeves, similar to the plastic sleeves that could hold like 3 CD's per page in an organizer - but this was not a CD holder.  These letters were in chronological order.  They were letters to and from his deceased wife from way, way back before they married.  There must have been about a hundred letters.

He would sit in his chair, slide out a letter, carefully unfold it, and slowly read it.  He would take a break about each minute, as if to savor each paragraph.  He would stare blankly into the distance.  Then he would resume reading the letter, and when finished he carefully folded the paper and placed it back in the scrapbook.  He would go back into what was almost a trance again while staring at the Caribbean.  Then he would repeat the process.

This man had a successful marriage.  My wife found out from some other folks what Herman the German was doing there, and when I saw what was going on I had to hold back a tear.  This went on each day we saw him on the beach.

This is love, and this man was keeping it alive.  It was very touching.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#37]
On my 1st marriage.  Going on 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Never married.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Still married to my college sweety after 16 years.

Edit:  Oh yeah...  We dated for 7 years before getting married.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Single as
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top