User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Field swappable barrels is going to be the new standard, same for semi autos. In reality it’s pretty straightforward and works quite well.

Install barrel and mount scope, go zero like you would for any other new rifle -> remove barrel, install different cartridge barrel, go zero like you would for any other rifle -> write down difference -> swap back and forth as much as you want.
View Quote

You dont touch the scope mount you zero the weapon to one barrel and than swap barrels and dial in that barrel and write it down and thats your zero
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How long until we see some 6.5 Creedmoor’s popping up. When it’s just a barrel switch away I bet we see some in the mix.
View Quote

They already have the 6.5 barrel for the Mrad
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

While I don’t care for belted magnums the use of 308 for training makes a lot of sense.
View Quote

Somewhat, but it is hilarious in the context of the "saving money" argument. Like the military is fiscally responsible.

Quoted:

That’s how it works for the large number of western units fielding rifles with that capability. Well.
View Quote

How often are barrel changes happening "in the field" by the end user? Not a gotcha, just genuinely curious.

Reminds me of the Futureweapons circlejerk about quick changing your barrel in the middle of a gunfight so you can use your enemies ammo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Somewhat, but it is hilarious in the context of the "saving money" argument. Like the military is fiscally responsible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don’t think it matters for top line budget but if you X dollars for barrels annually you can shoot out 7.62 barrels slowly to do offhand shooting training instead of just not shooting. Also, I wouldn’t want to do a long week of high round count training with a 300 norma, because that shit makes you tired.

How often are barrel changes happening "in the field" by the end user? Not a gotcha, just genuinely curious.

Reminds me of the Futureweapons circlejerk about quick changing your barrel in the middle of a gunfight so you can use your enemies ammo.

I suspect relatively little, but a field replacement ability means of you do shoot out your barrel or a truck backs over it or it catches a fragment you don’t have to send it to PWS to rebarrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

they are not meant to be a quick change in the field but to be changeable  for the mission needs with the 338nm replacing the .50
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s going to ended well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When changing a different barrel, obviously one needs to re-zero it.  Now I understand that a scope can be set and zero with different barrel, but without re-zero, then it’s just no longer “precision”.

Field swappable barrels is going to be the new standard, same for semi autos. In reality it’s pretty straightforward and works quite well.

Install barrel and mount scope, go zero like you would for any other new rifle -> remove barrel, install different cartridge barrel, go zero like you would for any other rifle -> write down difference -> swap back and forth as much as you want.

That’s going to ended well.

Fixed.

It’s not some concept on the drawing board. It’s been done befo. AI, Sako, LMT, FN, etc. have all managed to crack the code. It works. Is it a feature set you care about? Maybe not, but if everyone felt that way they wouldn’t exist.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You dont touch the scope mount you zero the weapon to one barrel and than swap barrels and dial in that barrel and write it down and thats your zero
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what I said. Initially you have to mount a scope and zero it like any new rifle. Then you swap barrels and re zero like you would if you were changing loads for example.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Those MRADs are fucking sweet rifles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They already have the 6.5 barrel for the Mrad
View Quote

The military? Hadn’t seen them. I’m aware they are available.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a brain aneurysm the third time I read "7-by-35".
View Quote

Thank you.

The fuck are they trying to say?

Fixed 7 power scope with 35mm objective?

As someone said above, author needs to toss a bums salad.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I don't care for belted magnums the use of 308 for training makes a lot of sense.

Quoted:

That's how it works for the large number of western units fielding rifles with that capability. Well.

I posted a video earlier. In it the guy that helped write the specs said 308 was kept because can't shoot the magnum rounds at a lot of military ranges-they don't have the buffer zone. Most all can accommodate 308.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's agnostic too.

I guess that's a dig at Trijicon Bible verse scopes?

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Would be sweet if the CMP got the retired rifles!
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t think that can happen anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#15]
[youtube]watch?time_continue=366[/youtube]
This dude was in on the development of the MRAD
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy can dream!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Will these be used on Russians or USA citizens?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why not 2 different .300 magnum loads? Close/medium and long range. Dial the POI difference in and send your love.

It's not like sniper ammo clogs the logistics chain. And the days of handing an M1D to Willie and Joe are long over.

Just seems a little overcomplicated, and they still don't have a CQB suitable weapon, like an auto could be pressed into.

View Quote

Wut
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not 2 different .300 magnum loads? Close/medium and long range. Dial the POI difference in and send your love.

It's not like sniper ammo clogs the logistics chain. And the days of handing an M1D to Willie and Joe are long over.

Just seems a little overcomplicated, and they still don't have a CQB suitable weapon, like an auto could be pressed into.

Wut

I’m confused as hell too. It’s alright. I think I’m just dumb.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.

This Todd WTFever (author) writes for Air Force Times and keeps screwing up the terminology?

"Multibarrel", "caliber agnostic 7-by-35 scope"...

WTF? They have anti gunner/firearms clueless people writing articles about firearms for Air Force Times?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you.

The fuck are they trying to say?

Fixed 7 power scope with 35mm objective?

As someone said above, author needs to toss a bums salad.
View Quote

B... b... but it's moar magnifuhcayshun than the 5-by-25 scope they were previously using!

Yeah, cuz the US military snipers were using leftover scopes from WWII.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah neat but.... Can we cut the crap. Nobody's carrying an extra barrel and extra ammo. That's some fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am disappointed in their use of he word multibarrell. I was expecting a Gatling sniper rifle, or at least side-by-side
View Quote

I did too at first.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah neat but.... Can we cut the crap. Nobody's carrying an extra barrel and extra ammo. That's some fucking bullshit.
View Quote

Pretty sure that's not the intent. The idea is being able to change the caliber to suit multiple missions and have a cheap trainging caliber. Similar to why the Army ordered long actions and built 308's. More options down the road. Now that barrels are easy to switch and don't require any gunsmithing it makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What in the ADHD riddled random threads of thought fucking brain drippings bullshit article was that?

Half way through it I was expecting the author to shout "scrotum licker" or "ball hair."

Goddamn random assed points bouncing all over fucking hell and back.
View Quote

Not exactly how I was going to phrase it but yeah, what this guy said.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#26]
"Caliber agnostic" meaning a standard mil dot reticle vs. some sort of BDC? Hardly a revolutionary concept on a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am disappointed in their use of he word multibarrell. I was expecting a Gatling sniper rifle, or at least side-by-side
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What in the ADHD riddled random threads of thought fucking brain drippings bullshit article was that?

Half way through it I was expecting the author to shout "scrotum licker" or "ball hair."

View Quote

How agnostic of you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.

Writer should toss a bum’s salad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking.

Writer should toss a bum’s salad.

Dammit! You made me spill my coffee!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Xring has a video on his youtube channel on it. I think he said he gave about $20k for his. Not many in circulation..
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#31]
https://youtu.be/HWuaCvKJ9ss

Here is the rifle in action.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]

What's this doohickey hanging off the end of the rifle?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Why would they ever carry two guns?

300WM or .308?  Just carry the 300. It’s not like it won’t kill something closer.

Same with the new gun. F carrying extra ammo and barrel. Set it up for the current mission and dial dope accordingly.

You bring what you are most comfortable with or bring the biggest and you don’t worry about not having enough.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#35]
“agnostic optic” I know what agnostic means and I know what an optic is but together, the term alone sounds like it cost the U.S. Taxpayer beaucoup Bucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I’m not the designer or implementer of this program or anything so take it for what it’s worth, but I think people poo-pooing the barrel change as unnecessary are thinking too short term. No one is bringing multiple barrels out to the field. No one will be changing them out day too day. This is something more like OIF gets .308 and OEF gets 300WM, or one trains with the cheap .308 and learns to dial and read wind but Carrie’s the 300WM, or if the military switches calibers this rifle has a ready-made ability to swap to that new round with just a new barrel change instead of designing and trialing a whole new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wouldn't interchangeable barrel sniper rifle be more accurate here?
View Quote

TRANS CALIBER
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I was expecting something with multiple barrels, like some sort of militarized Fuchs double barrel bolt-action. The MRAD is cool but that article is trash.

ETA: Something like this
Szecsei & Fuchs Double Barrel Bolt Action Dangerous Game Rifle

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Good option for the military. The NSW with the CF proof is the way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why would they ever carry two guns?

300WM or .308?  Just carry the 300. It’s not like it won’t kill something closer.

Same with the new gun. F carrying extra ammo and barrel. Set it up for the current mission and dial dope accordingly.

You bring what you are most comfortable with or bring the biggest and you don’t worry about not having enough.
View Quote

How are people struggling with this. Sometimes say for training a 308 is perfect. Other times say shooting far, deploying etc you’re probably just going to take the 300 Norma. Not like you are going to be changing barrels daily.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Folks are struggling with this concept for a few reasons. @RePp

1. They aren't in a position (or have a need) for multiple calibers on one platform.

2. They haven't seen and therefore cannot wrap their heads around a quick-change barrel that actually offers zero retention from un-mounting to mounting.

3. Their rifles do not experience schoolhouse OPTEMPO, and have the ability to select a vendor to cut and install new barrels for them in a matter of days. Few have experienced Crane taking up to a year to replace a single Mk13 barrel, or watching an M40A6 barrel get cut on a three jaw chuck with 0.004"+ runout.

4. Many people aren't limited to training with tight SDZs.

I do think 300 PRC was a better option, as technically 300NM development and supply isn't actually done (and 300PRC offers a superior powder column), but the gun was a great step forward. Props to USASOC for getting it right.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awfully tiny scope for modern warfare.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How are people struggling with this. Sometimes say for training a 308 is perfect. Other times say shooting far, deploying etc you’re probably just going to take the 300 Norma. Not like you are going to be changing barrels daily.
View Quote

I have no idea. It's like they think these guys are going to have a backpack with all the barrels and 200 rounds for each one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have no idea. It's like they think these guys are going to have a backpack with all the barrels and 200 rounds for each one.
View Quote

It’s literally what people think is going to happen. The fact a 308 is fine for training, swap to other calibers mission depending and the big thing. Swapping barrels when you burn them out. There’s a reason everyone is going to pre fits and quick change so you can swap barrels in about 5 minutes at home. They did it right going with the MRAD.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Folks are struggling with this concept for a few reasons. @RePp

1. They aren't in a position (or have a need) for multiple calibers on one platform.

2. They haven't seen and therefore cannot wrap their heads around a quick-change barrel that actually offers zero retention from un-mounting to mounting.

3. Their rifles do not experience schoolhouse OPTEMPO, and have the ability to select a vendor to cut and install new barrels for them in a matter of days. Few have experienced Crane taking up to a year to replace a single Mk13 barrel, or watching an M40A6 barrel get cut on a three jaw chuck with 0.004"+ runout.

4. Many people aren't limited to training with tight SDZs.

I do think 300 PRC was a better option, as technically 300NM development and supply isn't actually done (and 300PRC offers a superior powder column), but the gun was a great step forward. Props to USASOC for getting it right.
View Quote

Outside of 2 I don't know any of that either. 3 and 4 look like a foreign langauge

The literature and press releases were all pretty standard and clearly laid it out. It's a common practice to use a smaller cheaper round to practice with in the precision world. Lots of those guys build whole rifles similarly set up to their primary in 223, 308, even 22lr.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top