BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
as a former Army JAG prosecutor and defense counsel, I can say this:

1.  Of all the appellate cases in which convictions were overturned for shady police work, NCIS was involved in the vast majority of them.

View Quote

Can you elaborate?  Poor investigative practice, technique, and timeliness?  Poor understanding of federal law/UCMJ/civil rights?  Or, do you mean, straight up, dishonesty, and disregard for the law?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?  Poor investigative practice, technique, and timeliness?  Poor understanding of federal law/UCMJ/civil rights?  Or, do you mean, straight up, dishonesty, and disregard for the law?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  Of all the appellate cases in which convictions were overturned for shady police work, NCIS was involved in the vast majority of them.

From my experience on the other side of it, all of the above.  I lost all respect for that organization long ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife was NIS back before it was renamed to NCIS.  The group was tasked with finding convictions where abuse of females and rape was concerned. This is still fallout from Tailhook.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Speaking from my experience as a sex crimes detective for years...

Ever since regret became the socially accepted basis for rape, no one man is being treated fairly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bottom line, you're an instructor in e military, you don't fraternize with your subordinates. It's that fucking simple, you set yourself up for an all pain no gain circumstance where you have the most to lose. Who cares if it was consensual, he was an idiot to put himself in that situation.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Trash a career for what? Giving the team manager your number? I'd think a coach would want the equipment manager to communicate with him, yes?

Having mids over? Not that big a deal. In fact, faculty are encouraged it.

It is the "going running" meetings that are more concerning. That and being alone with a subordinate of the opposite sex, no matter how innocuous is bad juju.  

The final word though, is that she lied and lied about another inappropriate relationship.  Rape is serious business. She should be in jail for the false accusation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents are both teachers, my dad was at the college level.

I cannot fathom a reason why a student would ever have either of their personal phone numbers. Or even know their address, let alone visit their house.

She was the manager of the travelling rifle team that he coached. Thus I can see her having a phone number.  A lot of coaches and officers and local families and faculty sponsor mids, so having one visit the house it no unusual.  I agree that it seem bad headwork on his part, but really not that unusual in Annapolis.

That headwork must have been outstanding, to trash a career over.

Trash a career for what? Giving the team manager your number? I'd think a coach would want the equipment manager to communicate with him, yes?

Having mids over? Not that big a deal. In fact, faculty are encouraged it.

It is the "going running" meetings that are more concerning. That and being alone with a subordinate of the opposite sex, no matter how innocuous is bad juju.  

The final word though, is that she lied and lied about another inappropriate relationship.  Rape is serious business. She should be in jail for the false accusation.

The one that lied about another sexual relationship said all their encounters were consensual. It was the other one that cried rape when her boyfriend found out.

There's no doubt whatsoever that he had an unduly familiar relationship with a student. It seems obvious that he had an ongoing sexual relationship with a student, although I suppose there's some shadow of a doubt there. All things considered; fuck him. He's lucky to have any career left after what he did. An enlisted man certainly wouldn't. It's just a shame that one of the two women involved is still in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Under military law, a threesome is considered an indecent act — a serious crime. WTF?  take all the fun out of life
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Under military law, a threesome is considered an indecent act — a serious crime. WTF?  take all the fun out of life
View Quote

I honestly never heard that or seen it enforced but who knows.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the UCMJ considers anything but missionary with your wife with the lights off to be indecent or even sodomy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The local honey pot looks sweet, but it's best to get your sugar somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then how does one slay poon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should know better. Never put yourself into a position that can be questioned for any impropriety.

Then how does one slay poon?

What would PC Principal do?
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/obqpq2/were-being-victimized
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think the UCMJ considers anything but missionary with your wife with the lights off to be indecent or even sodomy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore.

Lawrence gutted a couple of UCMJ articles, if you read the MCM on how they're applied.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for what happens in Thailand...because it stays in Thailand.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a little bit of all of the above.  

For some reason, of all the branches the Navy seems to be the quickest and most likely to throw their people under the bus.  I get that commanding a ship at sea is different from commanding an Army battalion on land, but damn the Navy likes to eat their own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Though his jurors stopped short of kicking him out of the service.
View Quote

Did they need to?

A mere allegation will end a military career, getting busted with brig time is a 100% career ender.

How brave of them.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did they need to?

A mere allegation will end a military career, getting busted with brig time is a 100% career ender.

How brave of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

Would they have stopped short if it was an E-5?

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

i know that's a rhetorical question, at least to those who have ever been to muster.

for those who dont know, fuck no they wouldnt have stopped.
If it was Sgt Snuffy, it would have been:
-Brig time
-BCD

------NO FURTHER ENTRIES-----
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

2.  The officer corps is mercilessly moralistic and holier-than-thou.  I'm not surprised at the one juror who said WTTE "lotsa holes in both stories, but it seemed something improper happened."  HEY DUMBASS, THAT IS NOT PROOF BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.

I had an O-6 brigade commander tell me once that a mere allegation of a "zipper problem" was as good as a conviction in his mind.  So, I immediately asked him what he thought would happen if I left his office, went to the CG, and said "COL X solicited me for oral sex."  He got the point.

View Quote

We were told that perception of wrongdoing was enough to get us hammered at Captain's Mast by NJP, but that's a lot different than a court martial.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i know that's a rhetorical question, at least to those who have ever been to muster.

-Brig time
-BCD

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

-Brig time
-BCD

BCD if the motherfucker was lucky
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

This. Just the allegation for a male officer is a career ender.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

Male or female E-5?

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Speaking from my experience as a sex crimes detective for years...

Ever since regret became the socially accepted basis for rape, no one man is being treated fairly.
View Quote
Agree, and it's even worse in the military if you are caught by a third party, as your options (for a woman) are:  1.  Admit to fraternization, career over, or; 2.  I was drunk and didn't consent.  He raped me.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

They left him the option to possibly retire.

Which he fucked away with this news article.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-Brig time
-BCD

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

-Brig time
-BCD

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

-Brig time

-BCD

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

-Brig time

-BCD

Now or back in the day?  My ECM section leader slept with his subordinate's .mil wife, got caught, lost a stripe and some pay, and I found out a year or two ago that he stayed in and retired as an E-8.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We were told that perception of wrongdoing was enough to get us hammered at Captain's Mast by NJP, but that's a lot different than a court martial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.  The officer corps is mercilessly moralistic and holier-than-thou.  I'm not surprised at the one juror who said WTTE "lotsa holes in both stories, but it seemed something improper happened."  HEY DUMBASS, THAT IS NOT PROOF BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.

I had an O-6 brigade commander tell me once that a mere allegation of a "zipper problem" was as good as a conviction in his mind.  So, I immediately asked him what he thought would happen if I left his office, went to the CG, and said "COL X solicited me for oral sex."  He got the point.

actually, it's not.  The legal standard of proof for NJP is still "beyond reasonable doubt."  At least that's what it was in the Army and I cannot see it being different in the Navy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now or back in the day?  My ECM section leader slept with his subordinate's .mil wife, got caught, lost a stripe and some pay, and I found out a year or two ago that he stayed in and retired as an E-8.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

-Brig time
-BCD

Yeah, not anymore.  Something like that's a career ender for sure now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

actually, it's not.  The legal standard of proof for NJP is still "beyond reasonable doubt."  At least that's what it was in the Army and I cannot see it being different in the Navy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be wrong my friend.
quoted from the jag manual:

As such, the
standard of proof by which facts must be established at mast or office hours
is a "preponderance of the evidence," rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt,"
as it is at courts-martial

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

-Brig time
-BCD

Not the same allegations of rape and such.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

actually, it's not. The legal standard of proof for NJP is still "beyond reasonable doubt."  At least that's what it was in the Army and I cannot see it being different in the Navy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, it's not. The legal standard of proof for NJP is still "beyond reasonable doubt."  At least that's what it was in the Army and I cannot see it being different in the Navy.

Lol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My ex was a college professor, and we had students here all the time, especially those working research projects.  I still have students here often, mostly foreign nationals - at least two will be staying here for spring break next week.  Not an exciting place to spend spring break, but it's comfier than their digs back at the school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents are both teachers, my dad was at the college level.

I cannot fathom a reason why a student would ever have either of their personal phone numbers. Or even know their address, let alone visit their house.

My ex was a college professor, and we had students here all the time, especially those working research projects.  I still have students here often, mostly foreign nationals - at least two will be staying here for spring break next week.  Not an exciting place to spend spring break, but it's comfier than their digs back at the school.

My student adviser would have periodic BBQs at his place. When I took some continuing education classes recently, the instructors put both e-mail and cell on the syllabus.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Right... as though that standard means anything in a court martial either.  lol

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To be fair, she did whore around with five different platoon members three of whom were married, including a spit roasting threesome.  Somehow coed group viewing of porn films that included the Platoon Sergeant was found to be a mitigating circumstance.  

It was somewhat awkward being the CQ and supervising my section leader's after hours extra duty as part of his brigade level spanking.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Male or female E-5?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

Male or female E-5?

This.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
He's not that innocent, got caught lying towards the end of the article.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife was NIS back before it was renamed to NCIS.  The group was tasked with finding convictions where abuse of females and rape was concerned. This is still fallout from Tailhook.
View Quote

The O Club at Miramar was a lot of fun on Thursday night in the 80's.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:To be fair, she did whore around with five different platoon members three of whom were married, including a spit roasting threesome.  Somehow coed group viewing of porn films that included the Platoon Sergeant was found to be a mitigating circumstance.  

It was somewhat awkward being the CQ and supervising my section leader's after hours extra duty as part of his brigade level spanking.

View Quote

pretty sure her sister was loaned to our BN for a deployment.  She was known as the morale girl, and she wouldnt deny it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He's not that innocent, got caught lying towards the end of the article.
View Quote

My take as well.  Innocent of the sex assault he was found not guilty of, but rightfully convicted of the lesser offenses (based on his own admissions to the WP reporter).
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I waited until my last week to embark on smash fest 2013. For that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is one of one million circumstances that everyone past E-3 knows will end in potential career death. They know it. Everyone does.

Just playing strip poker with the subordinates and not fucking anyone was enough.

Probably just drinking with them was enough.

Risk vs gain. Obviously .mil pussy is apparently fucking magical enough to make people willing to throw away real careers (CO's, SNCOs' CWO's etc)

CWG is the SME on .mil pussy so I defer to him

I waited until my last week to embark on smash fest 2013. For that reason.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As such, the

that's why I wasn't a Navy JAG
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As such, the

I was surprised to find they were different.  I grew up with preponderance of the evidence (if that), and didn't know the Army used the court martial standard.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

The article was of questionable benefit ... even before the last couple of sections.  And with the discovery of the phone, the article is Exhibit A for a much bigger mess.  Creating a national media lie to win back your security clearance?  While not explicitly posed as a line item question on an SF-86, it's sort of implied.  Sort of.

Then again, since the reporter stumbled across part of the truth in the article and published it, maybe it doesn't qualify as adverse information anymore?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The article was of questionable benefit ... even before the last couple of sections.  And with the discovery of the phone, the article is Exhibit A for a much bigger mess.  Creating a national media lie to win back your security clearance?  While not explicitly posed as a line item question on an SF-86, it's sort of implied.  Sort of.

Then again, since the reporter stumbled across part of the truth in the article and published it, maybe it doesn't qualify as adverse information anymore?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they need to?

How brave of them.

He has an appeal pending before CAAF if I read correctly.  That appeal will be denied.  New charges might be preferred because of the new information in the article, I'd have to look up statutes of limitations and what not, but they can even possibly make the argument they don't matter as he committed new offenses they might charge him with.

He's absolutely and utterly fucked, and the USMC doesn't take this sort of thing lightly.  And he did it to himself when he was already home free and ready to retire as an O-5.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Interestingly, one of the officers on his appeal board was LTC Kate Germano

View Quote
I read that and thought "Whoa!".  That was the biggest twist in the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was the key reason the BOI recommended against his admin separation.

ETA:  Oh, and that Major is a piece of garbage.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I read that and thought "Whoa!".  That was the biggest twist in the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was the key reason the BOI recommended against his admin separation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that she was fired from running USMC boot camp, is there something else going on with her?  I've never heard of her before.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I see that she was fired from running USMC boot camp, is there something else going on with her?  I've never heard of her before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She got bounced June 30 after a command investigation accused her of “toxic leadership” by berating and showing contempt for subordinates in public. The 300-page report found her to be “hostile, unprofessional and abusive “ and told recruits that sexual assault was preventable, and that those who drank put themselves in a position to be assaulted.

She also told recruits male Marines would never take orders from them and would see them as inferior if they couldn’t meet men’s physical standards.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/13/ouster-marine-officer-overseeing-female-boot-camp-training-sparks-controversy.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From a timeline standpoint, would it be plausible she was fired as result of not making the Big Green decision on the appeal board?

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From a timeline standpoint, would it be plausible she was fired as result of not making the Big Green decision on the appeal board?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be an interesting turn of events if the timeline matches up.  I don't have time to look right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought; did her decision on the appeals board play into her later relief?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top