User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or deciding to wrestle with a wild pig caught in a snare.  I'd get a big stick and beat it to death while staying just out of range and then have a pig roast.

The guy does half that shit for show.  I can't imagine too many worse ways to die than getting stuck in that hole in the ground and dying of dehydration after a couple of miserable days.

I dunno man, you might turn into a Golem and find a bitchin ring.

lol, that'd certainly be much more fun.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
its like watching nascar, just waiting for the big crash dont know when where but I know its coming, he is so stupid he is luck he remembers to breath
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Bear is the survival equivalent of Steve Erwin. He just goes out into some random location, walks around till he trips over something dangerous and then metaphorically sticks his thumb up it's ass to see what kind of reaction he can get.

Les Stroud is more like Marty Stouffer. Less exciting, but educational, and will die of old age.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

With some of the stupid things he does, it is difficult to imagine that he is a former member of the British Territorial SAS.

He wasnt, he served in the part-time United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
1.  He's not "retired" SAS (see above)

2.  Yes, he ALWAYS gives horrible advice (jump into an unknown stream ~ surely it will be deep enough!  Leave your parachute behind ~ there's nothing it will be good for (p-cord, signal, shelter, clothing, ... yeesh)!  Dive underthe driftwood pile blocking your subterranean cave river thing ... you won't get trapped!)

3.  He used to present his show as if he were alone out there and truly "surviving."  They added the disclaimers and caveats later, after some legal issues.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Les Stroud is more like Marty Stouffer. Less exciting, but educational, and will die of old age.

Or an OD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
In one show, he was drinking his own piss.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would watch man vs wild over survivorman any day.  For the last time, the show is meant to be entertaining...  It sure is.  He never claims (that I have seen anyway) that his methods are the best, but just things that you could do. Survivorman on the other hand just bitches the whole time and is really damn annoying.  If you have seen one episode you have seen them all.  I find that show incredibly boring and I still spot plenty of things wrong in that as well.

That's my take as well. Both of these clowns are not the survival gurus everyone holds them up to be and both screw up quite a bit.

Gryllys - eats bugs and drinks pee = sideshow gimp. Most of his stuff is set up and pretty much way out on the edge of what people would really do. Nevertheless, Bear will actually do it, even if stupid.

Stroud - starves himself for a week drinking water and eating a few bites of food and then bitches about it rather than doing something constructive. Most of his attempts at finding or catching food are fail.

Both of those guys know their shit better than most. Bear was the youngest person to climb Everest (at the time) and holds the record for highest ultralight flight. His parents are minor royalty in England so he did his semi required .mil service with the SAS in Norway IIRC, at least that is what is implied even though he was in a reserve unit and supposedly never saw the shit. Stroud went into the woods with his girlfriend and not much more than a couple of backpacks of supplies and lived for an entire year in the forest up in Canada.

I like both but nothing beats watching the look on Bears face when he eats something really nasty.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of this sounds about as bad as my wife's cooking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
While the cave thing did sound stupid. The deer poop and crickets vs a snapping turtle makes sense. He is not giving advice to leet survivalist who cna gut a deer with their teeth and field strip a ma duce with their eyes closed and two hands tied behind their backs, he trying to offer advice to Joe Blow about general things that can be done. If Joe Blow goes after a snapping turtle, the turtle is going to win about 99% of the time (that is if Joe Blow doesn't drown himself trying to catch the turtle).
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
With some of the stupid things he does, it is difficult to imagine that he is a former member of the British Territorial SAS.

He wasnt, he served in the part-time United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve.  

The British Territorial Army IS  their reserve force, you wanker!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Us real southerners would be eating bbq'd snapping turtle while the dudes are eating deer turds

BTW, wouldn't deer turds be loaded with E. Coli?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And incidentally I'm pretty sure he didn't kill and eat the turtle because Alabama snapping turtles are a protected species.

Of course such things mean little in a real survival situation but again, it's TV. Producers I'm sure didn't want to even imply that nongame animals should be eaten for any reason.

Why would these be protected?  They are everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While the cave thing did sound stupid. The deer poop and crickets vs a snapping turtle makes sense. He is not giving advice to leet survivalist who cna gut a deer with their teeth and field strip a ma duce with their eyes closed and two hands tied behind their backs, he trying to offer advice to Joe Blow about general things that can be done. If Joe Blow goes after a snapping turtle, the turtle is going to win about 99% of the time (that is if Joe Blow doesn't drown himself trying to catch the turtle).

What?

Catching turtles is easy.  Fishhook, string, rotten meat, and a limb hanging over the water is all you need.  Drag it to shore and beat it's head in with a rock.

Skin and cook.

Tastes like chicken

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch this and then decide if this show is bullshit or not

bullshit

O.k., beyond the bullshit of being 50 feet off the road, why the hell is he giving a lecture about being careful about the ground and then he fracking jumps on it?  WTF!?!  If you don't know how good your footing is use a damned walking stick, step gingerly, and make sure it's stable before you put your weight on it.  

Its the same logic behind surviving Alabama. It would be damn hard for you not to be able to walk your way out of trouble. The state has some very rural areas but it would not be hard to make your way to some form of population if you just kept at it and you would not have to go cave exploring, or jump on and kill a wild pig to survive.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I loved Survivorman. Man vs Wild I watch if nothing else is on.

Formula for production of a Man vs Wild episode:

1. Have Bear climb something
2. Have Bear jump off of something tall that nobody in a survival situation would possibly see as a good idea
3. Have Bear eat something absolutely disgusting and let some of the juices run out side of his mouth
4. Have Bear get naked for one reason or another (needing to dry his clothes will be good excuse)
5. Repeat the above at different location next week
6. Don't forget to have wife deposit large check from Discovery Channel

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#17]
His show is pretty cheesy, but Bear is the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry all , but Ray Mears  FTW .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbSMplJ6g4

john

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Both those shows are silly dramas.  They are for entertainment, not survival tips.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah, Bear is alright if you watch him with a very open mind.

He used to be a lot more survivor man like in his first episodes, then he went through a period of completely fake BS without saying it was BS. Then he kind of came around, put up the disclaimer at the beginning, and it was acceptable for me to watch again. He is pretty much a wannabe survivor person who eat deer poop and bugs instead of real food just because it is deer poop and bugs. I would never take any of his suggestions seriously......unless I want a broken neck from free climbing.

I will say his navigational tips are decent though.

But yes, Les Stroud gets my vote, eh?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Watched part of one episode, then turned it off and ain't tried again.  Purely entertainment as far as I could tell.  Which wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't know there are folks who are taking notes and going to try that crap if they ever get in a bad situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]
the bear's qualities as an sas guy have been vouched for by former and current members of sas...he did all the real training and even instructed  -its no different than the reserve spec forces guys we have...and the earlier poster was right he never saw the shit.  I think there have been like 20 threads or so in the past about whether or not he did sas training and was entitled to wear the beret-he is cause he did all the Q stuff.  Bunch of sas dudes vouch for him and Im sure you can wiki his creds and prolly wiki guys that say he aint legit.

the show is a joke but its fun to watch-all it is:  see bear run, see bear swim in cold shit and see bear eat nasty shit-oh and dont forget the all important every episode-see bear build a fire and comment on how the fire makes him feel all warm and fuzzy and like hes at home.  

ANyone who goes into the woods without a gps/map/cell phone and a small pack is a tard
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

He is an idiot plain and simple.  If anyone tries his techniques they will probably end up dead.

Some of his bullshit about getting wet and the cold is a recipe for disaster.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#24]
ANyone who goes into the woods without a gps/map/cell phone and a small pack is a tard

Uh, no.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]
It's BS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's BS.

It's TV.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Man vs Wild = bullshit

Surviroman = badass

/thread

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've only seen Man vs. Wild a few, and never really paid much attention.  I was at a friends house last night and watched the "Alabama" episode all the way though.  Talk about some bad advice....I was shocked at some of the things he did, and some of the "tips" he gave.

Here are some of the major screw-ups that really caught my attention.

1.  He's all about eating deer poop, and crickets....but when he found a snapping turtle in a swamp, he never mentioned anything about eating it...he just talked about it's "powerful jaws". and how they would take a finger off...so stay away from them.  Why would you not talk about eating it??....but suggest that deer poop and crickets are great to eat if you need food??  He has eaten turtle before and basically everything else so I guess he figured it was pretty obvious to his regular viewers.

2.  He finds a sink-hole out in the middle of the woods, and suggests that "caves are a great place to find food, and fresh water".  So without a flashlight of any kind.....he lights up a makeshift torch soaked in pig lard, lights it...and heads off into the cave.  Once in the cave, he just kept going deeper and deeper...going down passage ways so tight....he even talking about relaxing your chest so that you don't get stuck in them.  He then goes head first into a passage way...almost gets stuck...then drops down around 10-15 into another chamber of the cave and lands in water...putting out his torch, he only source of light.  So now he's way down in a cave, with no light.   He manages to use his flint to create sparks and light up the way as he goes out.......traversing up a 20foot crevice to find his way out.  Before the episodes are filmed he gets advice from local experts and he already has been in that cave and knows how to get through it.

What about that was a smart thing to so?   If he didn't have his "Crew" with him....there is no doubt that he would have been screwed down in that cave.  Why would he tell people to go and explore cave systems if you are trying to survive....so you can get your self in an ever worse situation??

Anyone else see that episode??  Am I the only one that things he was completely out of line with some of the things he suggested people do if they are trying to survive??  

Answers in red.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch this and then decide if this show is bullshit or not

bullshit

O.k., beyond the bullshit of being 50 feet off the road, why the hell is he giving a lecture about being careful about the ground and then he fracking jumps on it?  WTF!?!  If you don't know how good your footing is use a damned walking stick, step gingerly, and make sure it's stable before you put your weight on it.  

Its the same logic behind surviving Alabama. It would be damn hard for you not to be able to walk your way out of trouble. The state has some very rural areas but it would not be hard to make your way to some form of population if you just kept at it and you would not have to go cave exploring, or jump on and kill a wild pig to survive.

Yeah, in the Boy Scouts we were taught to walk in a constant direction, find some sign of humanity, and follow it.  Roads, rivers, streams, a fence line, all will eventually lead you to civilization.  But I guess that doesn't make good TV.  Phoning a cop 15 minutes into the show isn't nearly as entertaining as watching Bear eat shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey, I don't mind the show.  The guy cracks me up.  I see it as more of a how-to for certain situations than a heading out in the bush and roughing it for the rating.  We all know he sleeps in a hotel at night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In one show, he was drinking his own piss.

out of a dead snake...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Or the time he leapt for the rope ladder from the helicopter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And incidentally I'm pretty sure he didn't kill and eat the turtle because Alabama snapping turtles are a protected species.

Of course such things mean little in a real survival situation but again, it's TV. Producers I'm sure didn't want to even imply that nongame animals should be eaten for any reason.

they are not a protected species!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I was LMFAO when he flew thru the air an jumped on that wild pig! That was some funny shit!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where the hell can you lost in Alabama?

BTW:  I know the state damn well.

I lived there most of my life in Alabama and, there are plenty of places to get lost. You can usually find your way out also. Until you do, you might need to know how to make through a day or two. I'm in TN now and, people get lost in the Smoky Mts. all the time. If your from the city, visiting the woods can be overwhelming to some.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#39]
The Sierra Nevada one is on now. He's going to show how to kill animals with a throwing stick. Have to give him credit, he is mildly entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a great sig line around here about those two.

Something like: If I were in a situation where I needed to survive, I would choose Les Stroud. If I wanted to win in a bar fight, I would choose Bear Grylls.

Stroud is information, Grylls is entertainment.

Like the episode were Stroud does drugs? Great information.

It's TV ppl, get over it.

Les is much closer to a real solo survival situation than Bear. Les only has a Sat phone and a crew that will look for him only after a certain amount of time. He could easily find himself in a situation where he is no longer a camera man. Les is much more informative, and some could be useful if remembered. But he is not the end all be all of survival. He wants you to learn things before you ever find yourself in a situation where you would have to know them.

As far as that drug episode(In the Amazon I believe), that was probably his worst situation next to the Sahara desert one. He was fucked up in both of those situations. Another thing to get from his show is; it's very easy to do stupid shit even if you know what your doing.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I loved Survivorman. Man vs Wild I watch if nothing else is on.

Formula for production of a Man vs Wild episode:

1. Have Bear climb something
2. Have Bear jump off of something tall that nobody in a survival situation would possibly see as a good idea
3. Have Bear eat something absolutely disgusting and let some of the juices run out side of his mouth
4. Have Bear get naked for one reason or another (needing to dry his clothes will be good excuse)
5. Repeat the above at different location next week
6. Don't forget to have wife deposit large check from Discovery Channel

Don't forget "someone just recently died when he became lost in this very area". Or drowned. Or was eaten. Or died in an avalanche. Or...

Rob
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would these be protected?  They are everywhere.

Not Alligator snappers.

They are declining

Don't be  and confuse alligator snappers with common snappers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top