Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I fucking hate them
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I am indifferent.  I have a few 3rd Gen S&W's .  The mag safety on these does not affect the trigger pull in any way, and I have not yet found the safety to get in the way of anything.  The only one that I have disabled is on the 5906 I sometimes use in competition, and only because it makes it a lot easier to do the whole "if clear, hammer down and holster" routine without the mag safety.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I slightly prefer them depending on manufacturer.

S&W M&P's without the mag safety come with a warning emblazoned on the slide; with the mag safety, they do not.  

So I buy them with the mag safety, and then remove the mag safety.  Now I have a pistol without the stupid mag safety or an owner's manual written on the side of the gun.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Hate them, will not own a handgun with a mag safety.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never owned a handgun with a magazine safety.
I don't like the idea.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I can only see it being useful for a cop. For a regular CCW American I think its a good way if getting killed. Even a regular OC I see it as pointless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF are "safties"?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally know of two instances where a mag safety has saved lives.

The average CCW should never have a need of one and it is a bigger PIA than it is a benefit.

As a beat cop I'll take my pistol with one.
There is nothing more scary than having some asshole trying to pull your gun out of it's holster in a fight.
View Quote

What I came to post.

The one situation a mag safety can make the difference between life and death. If you're losing control of the pistol and have a chance to drop the mag, you render the pistol unfireable.

Other than that, I don't care for them.

ETA, on a similar note, I heard of one incident with an HK P7M8 that the bad guy had wrestled away from its owner. He couldn't get it to fire because he wasn't squeezing the front strap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF are "safties"?
View Quote

Common vernacular for a mechanical device included in a firearm design that when activated preclude the firing of said firearm.

I figured this was fairly common knowledge even among non-gun people.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Common vernacular for a mechanical device included in a firearm design that when activated preclude the firing of said firearm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF are "safties"?

To be fair, that is the correct plural spelling and this is GD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pointless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF are "safties"?

There's a god damned E missing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF are "safties"?

Shit.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Stupid, useless, and dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pointless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The last time I carried my S&W 6906 as my CCW piece was when I took it out of the holster at the end of the day and the mag fell out. I stood there thinking that I would prolly be dead had I needed the gun and had attempted to use it. The gun was well used before it was given to a poor 18yr old and I put thousands of rounds through it. I scrounged some $ and replaced it the next week. I want the gun to fire if I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Supposedly, in a scuffle over the gun you could drop the magazine rendering the gun incapable of firing. If you manage to secure it again you slap in a magazine and you're good to go.

I seem where they're coming from but the flip side is that you may need to take a shot quickly when reloading (especially if you fumble the mag change) and it prevents that.

Lots of people play the "another thing to break" card but most guns have 2-3 safety mechanisms that no-one complains about.

There are some pistols (hi-power) where it negatively affects the trigger as well.

If they're well designed such that likely failures do not prevent the gun firing and they do not adversely affect the trigger.... I'm still not sure that I want one. Maybe if I was a cop and going hands-on with people was part of my day job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are we talking about here? A situation where the gun is designed to not fire when the magazine is removed?
Yes.

Personally I never could think of a scenario where I would need that feature.

Supposedly, in a scuffle over the gun you could drop the magazine rendering the gun incapable of firing. If you manage to secure it again you slap in a magazine and you're good to go.

I seem where they're coming from but the flip side is that you may need to take a shot quickly when reloading (especially if you fumble the mag change) and it prevents that.

Lots of people play the "another thing to break" card but most guns have 2-3 safety mechanisms that no-one complains about.

There are some pistols (hi-power) where it negatively affects the trigger as well.

If they're well designed such that likely failures do not prevent the gun firing and they do not adversely affect the trigger.... I'm still not sure that I want one. Maybe if I was a cop and going hands-on with people was part of my day job.
What else is there to say but: 'This'.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, fate decided anyway.

Went to a gun show (yes, I know people love to hate gun shows here), and ended up finding a pistol for $56 less than any other dealer at the show.

It was $20 cheaper than I even saw them at PSA.

The gun did not have a mag disconnect (thanks terminology Nazis!).

So the will of the universe lined up with the collective votes of arfcom.

The warning label on the gun doesn't bother me in the least.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Prevents me from clearing a firearm.

Remove magazine, rack slide, pull trigger.

Mag disconnect safety is retarded as fuck. I gotta have a mag in a pistol to confirm function? Lame.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In general I would rather not have one on my guns.

However, a VERY common accident is one where someone takes the magazine out of a loaded gun and thinks that unloads the gun. They pull the trigger and someone gets shot… by accident. And that’s why I would rather not have one. I’m not that ignorant and untrained. I mean, I can make mistakes with firearms, I have made mistakes with firearms, but not that one. So a magazine safety would be pretty pointless to me.  However, for someone who has maybe shot their home defense pistol twice in their life, it might be a good idea.

Magazine safeties can, and have saved lives because the good guy manages to drop the magazine in a struggle for the gun. If the good guy has a backup gun then he can stop fighting for his main gun after the magazine is dropped and draw his backup.

The flip side to this is what happens when some gentle giant is exercising his basic human right to beat a cop to death and then skull fuck him in the street and, in the struggle for the gun, the magazine on the cops gun gets dumped? What happens if you have to fire your last round off in the middle of a tactical reload?

So, for me and what I do, they aren’t worth much. But they do have their place.
View Quote

It's also happened where someone racks the slide, then drops the magazine and bang. Yes I know careless and stupid but it happens. None of mine have it but wouldn't bother me if they did.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top