User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For these LCI cans...how long is it ok to store potable water in clean cans? In a non-climate controlled garage vs inside in AC? What about gas?
View Quote
I stored potable water in a couple from around 2005 through summer 2014 when I moved.  Never rotated it.  Smelled and tasted fine when we moved.

They've now been filled since around Oct. 2014.  Not gonna rotate them either.  Clean water in clean containers stored in a clean, dry cool environment - should last pretty much forever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Scepter
Attachment Attached File

LCI

As you can see the LCI is significantly heavier than the Scepter.

I use a wrench on the lids and havent had any issues with either. Given the choice at the same price I would buy LCI because fuck Canada. At roughly half price there is no decisionto make.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38312/0313211429_HDR_jpg-2396459.JPG

Scepter on the left LCI on the right.

Both MWC with NSN#
View Quote

But did the LCI leak?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38312/0313211525a_HDR_jpg-2396464.JPG
Scepter
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38312/0313211525_HDR_jpg-2396465.JPG
LCI

I use a wrench on the lids and havent had any issues with either. Given the choice at the same price I would buy LCI because fuck Canada. At roughly half price there is no decisionto make.
View Quote

What would account for the heavier weight? It would have to be denser material, because thicker walls would mean less internal volume (because having larger external measurements would bring it out of milspec) and therefore mean less internal volume.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
For moving fuel from can to vehicle these are amazing.

Shaker siphon
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But did the LCI leak?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both MWC with NSN#

But did the LCI leak?

I have 6 LCI and 2 Scepter, none of them leak.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What would account for the heavier weight? It would have to be denser material, because thicker walls would mean less internal volume (because having larger external measurements would bring it out of milspec) and therefore mean less internal volume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38312/0313211525a_HDR_jpg-2396464.JPG
Scepter
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38312/0313211525_HDR_jpg-2396465.JPG
LCI

Could be anywhere or everywhere. They are both HDPE .Holding less than 20L would also take it out of "milspec".

There isn't any perceptible difference between the 2 cans. I'm sure they have both made a bad one before.

Buy whatever you want.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I stored potable water in a couple from around 2005 through summer 2014 when I moved.  Never rotated it.  Smelled and tasted fine when we moved.

They've now been filled since around Oct. 2014.  Not gonna rotate them either.  Clean water in clean containers sotred in a clean, dry cool environment - should last pretty much forever.
View Quote

Same. Had to use mine about 4 years ago. Construction broke a pipe under a river crossing. Took them a while to figure out where it was broken.

I have one septer and use a mix of other 5 gallon containers. I have those square ones with the water spigot type lid. That thing is handy when you have no water.

Wife and kids cant handle a 5 gallon jerry can. I put that spigot type on the sink counter for them. This thread I bought a 7 gallon one and a 4 gallon from walmart online. Just for extra insurance.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both MWC with NSN#

But did the LCI leak?

When upright? Or have you done the mil test of filling them and laying them on their sides?

I've got 3 ea of the green and tan Scepter cans and 4 of the blue. None leak, doing that test. The blue are lighter and more flexible, but they all hold water, and I don't plan on being too rough with them (learned the hard way with another water container; they can hold up fine to being dropped when empty, but dropping a filled container = much greater chance of rupturing/splitting).
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When upright? Or have you done the mil test of filling them and laying them on their sides?

I've got 3 ea of the green and tan Scepter cans and 4 of the blue. None leak, doing that test. The blue are lighter and more flexible, but they all hold water, and I don't plan on being too rough with them (learned the hard way with another water container; they can hold up fine to being dropped when empty, but dropping a filled container = much greater chance of rupturing/splitting).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both MWC with NSN#

But did the LCI leak?

Tighten the lids with a wrench and you can do whatever you want with them and they wont leak.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Scepters with a donkey dick are awesome for filling the tractor. Need a reducer for filling a car though.
View Quote

They make a smaller spout for cars.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tell me more. Inquiring minds want to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can get them for $18 a piece if you know how to look.

Tell me more. Inquiring minds want to know.

https://gov.supplychimp.com/usa/abilityone-7240000893827-plastic-water-can-5-gallon-desert-sand-ea.html

@JTF-B
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Metal fuel cans are about $45.  New, made in Europe.  
https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/
View Quote

Careful, those say for non-potable water use only.  The Wavian fuel cans on this site tell you NOT to store water because it will react with the Rezol lining.  Different linings and seals?
https://overlander.com/products/wavian-fuel-can
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 6 LCI MWCs that I bought within about the last year or so in both tan and green. I have tested each one, by inverting it or either by placing the cap side down and leaving it on its side. I haven't had one leak.

I also bought a MWC stand off of ebay (that's how the seller describes it). It's not really for a MWC, but it is military. It was actually designed for holding a MFC upside down for some application. However, it works great for the MWC too. I slit some fuel hose to slide on the tank/can supports so they don't dig into the plastic can.

EDIT: I only tighten the lid until the little tabs that keep the cap from unscrewing click over each other and then I stop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This place costs me money

What's the deal, I got to checkout > create account, and you have to be a .gov employee to buy from them?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$29.99 Olive Drab Water Can

$29.99 Desert Tan Water Can

I bought five of the Desert Tan Water Cans from LCI, they are good to go and are an official government purchase site for the US military and Government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BuyLCI.com is the answer you seek. They used to have free shipping on 4 cans.

Link?

[
$29.99 Olive Drab Water Can

$29.99 Desert Tan Water Can

I bought five of the Desert Tan Water Cans from LCI, they are good to go and are an official government purchase site for the US military and Government.

$55 is not a good deal at all, but 30 bucks might be.   Do they sell fuel nozzles that screw in?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's the deal, I got to checkout > create account, and you have to be a .gov employee to buy from them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It let me create an account and go all the way to billing without checking that box.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Careful, those say for non-potable water use only.  The Wavian fuel cans on this site tell you NOT to store water because it will react with the Rezol lining.  Different linings and seals?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metal fuel cans are about $45.  New, made in Europe.  
https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/

It only says for non potable water to get around the fact it is illegal to sell non CARB gas containers in the U.S.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For these LCI cans...how long is it ok to store potable water in clean cans? In a non-climate controlled garage vs inside in AC? What about gas?
View Quote

What I do with my 20 L MWCs:

Disinfect the container with 100 mL of bleach and ~2-3 liters of water, screw the lid on and shake for a few minutes then rinse with clean water.

Add ~4 mL bleach to 20 L water for storage up to a year. Probably lasts longer, but why not change it out when you have a chance.

Last time I filled my MWCs I tried Camco Tastepure Drinking Water Freshener I found in the RV section at Walmart. I used a little less than 8 mL per 20 liters. The water seems a little less bleachy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For moving fuel from can to vehicle these are amazing.

Shaker siphon
View Quote

They are, indeed.  Excellent tool!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Thank you for this!

$18 beats $30 at buylci and $42 for Scepters at zoro and $50 at Lowe's (with tax but after the 10% mil discount.)

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dating paisas costs money...but they are worth it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dating paisas costs money...but they are worth it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#26]
That monkey place cancelled my order due to not having a Mil. email address.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Guessing my order was canceled then too. Been days and still no response from them.

I see they also raised their prices on the website now as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That monkey place cancelled my order due to not having a Mil. email address.
View Quote

I did not originally give them a .mil email address, but I changed it afterwards.

I placed my order on a Wednesday. When it did not arrive by Tuesday, I called them.

Customer service lady was very helpful. Called me back after investigating, send me several E-mails, and the merchandise arrived 72 hours later.

Items came well packed and there was no problem with the flashing around the opening.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top