BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL!

The first thing I thought when I saw the title to this thread was You're high!

Guess I wasn't alone

The movies were pretty good,but my head was spinning a little trying to follow and I've read the books a couplea times.

The incredible depth and detail of the world Tolkien created,the races,laguages,history and relationships between them all is what is so engrossing and fascinating about this trilogy.

The books are awsome and one of my favorites,and I'm not really into "fantasy".

I think the only way they could have really done the LOR's true justice was with a Band of Brothers type of effort.

Two or three 2-3 hour movies  per book in the trilogy would have done it better.

Not sayin if it's doable or not,but it seems if friggin StarWars can hold interest for 6 full length movies,this amazing story would have a reasonable shot at success.

Anyhow,IMO a person would gain a lot more enjoyment and understanding by reading the books.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Typical rik statements.

All condemnation, and not a single statement I made rebutted with anything other than either silence or an elitist off the cuff remark.

Let me put this so even you could TRY and understand rik, if you wish to be in the majority opinion on things ie books<movies, why then go ahead. The books were not made for the lowest common denominator, nor for the uneducated unwashed masses, whereas the movies were in FACT made for just this crowd. If you wish to be part of this group, why then go right ahead, I wont attempt to stop you.

Personally I prefer to excercise my brain and God given imagination in reading enjoyment. Not only that, but when a movie is great I give it its due. Band of Brothers were a much much better movie series than the LOTR movies can ever hope to be. LOTR scriptwriters were utter hacks of the lowest description and had no better grasp of the material and its meaning than apparently... you. Which statement in fact speaks for itself.

Dramborlegout!

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Let us keep this in the proper prespective.

LOTR was one of the great masterpieces of the last century.  The book was a very rich story that almost has no equal in literature.

The movies were just as great film making as the books were great literature.  Can you think of any other movie or movies that match LOTRs?  To me the Star Wars series is pale in comparision.

Were they the exact story?  No.  Did the movie capture the essence of the richness of the story?  I think so.

They are really not in competition with one another.  You can enjoy them both without the need to put any one of them down.

I have read the books twice in my life.  Once as a teenager in the 60s and again when the movies came out.  I enjoyed the books as much as any book I have ever read in my life.  Great story, however, quite frankly, there were parts of the books that were boring.  The books were imperfect as the film is imperfect.  

Just enjoy them both.  Some people are visual and enjoy the movies.  Others like the additional details and character development of the books.  I think the movies suffered a lot by not telling the complete story of Frodo's return to the Shire.

Both the book and the movies gave proper due to Sam, who was the real hero of the story.

Enjoy them both.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
read the books when i was a little kid and enjoyed them immensely.

personally i just don't see how a movie can ever be superior to the book since my imagination is far deeper and wilder than anything i could see on the screen.  but then again i'm a real book nerd

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All condemnation, and not a single statement I made rebutted with anything other than either silence or an elitist off the cuff remark.

When you began your screed with a personal insult, I lost interest in debating you civilly.
Don't blame others for your own failings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The Books are better, but, there were a couple things I think the movie did better.

1) I think the battles & scenes were better done on screen. Seeing Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep was awesome.

2) Peter Jackson cut out most of the awful poetry.

However I will never forgive Jackson for not filming the "Scouring Of The Shire". It really brought home that no place was safe from evil.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top