Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Only watched the beginning... I'm suprised at how slow they are on the range.

Sure would like one of those Novak High Powers, I cannot believe they were destroyed
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hensoldt Aiming Point Projector.  Why yes, I did look to see if anyone had one for sale...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-parts-accessories-sale/40994d1459131336-wts-hk-hensoldt-factory-aiming-device-dsc00535.jpg
View Quote
That's frikkin cool
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This is forcing me to reassess how realistic 80's action movies actually were.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some sloppy weapons handling compared to today.  But it was 30 years ago. What would that video have looked like in 1955?
View Quote
Probably someone jumping around the corner with a M3 or Thompson and spraying bullets like Sgt. Saunders.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After Delta became known, the FBI wanted in, and everyone thought it OK.

The SAS role model was the only fashion statement NATO countries followed.
View Quote
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some sloppy weapons handling compared to today.  But it was 30 years ago. What would that video have looked like in 1955?
View Quote
FRAG OUT
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only watched the beginning... I'm suprised at how slow they are on the range.

Sure would like one of those Novak High Powers, I cannot believe they were destroyed
View Quote
That breaks my lil' heart  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3:50, only one guy with brown shoes.
View Quote
I felt sorry for him.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1st SFOD-D was not the first US military "hostage rescue team".  The first was Project BLUE LIGHT.  But Col. Beckwith, who while an SF officer hated SF* and was in love with the idea of the 1960s SAS**, convinced the Army Chief of Staff that a highly trained and competent SF CT unit was unacceptable and he (Beckwith) needed to recreate a past version of the SAS*** to do the mission.

*Beckwith had served in Project DELTA in Vietnam and not in 'traditional' SF.  His pre-Vietnam experience in the 7th SF Group convinced him that SF wasn't shit.  And he never made a secret of that.
** Beckwith did an exchange with 22nd SAS in Malaysia in 1962 and from them on wanted to recreate that version of the SAS in the US Army.
*** Beckwith never grasped that the SAS keeps evolving to meet evolving missions.
View Quote
Then concerning your points 2 and 3, how would the SAS mission against Communists

in Malaysia in 1962 segue into CT operations against Muslim terrorists in the early 

80s?  The past version of the SAS didn't seem to be doing what the then current Delta

was supposed to do.

Edit.  And this is genuine curiosity, I'm not picking a fight with an ODA dude about the 

history of SF.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It's interesting to see how far general weapons handling skills have come since then.  The two dudes in the intro looked like a bag of mashed assholes by modern standards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
catchy opening tune
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You are not far off: the video is from my era, when my agency got MP5s we trained in a similar fashion, the WWII era sergeants in particular poked fun.

We had Thompsons in the armory and the range sergeant brought one out to "show y'all how it was done".

Street sergeants had a Thompson and two drums in their cars and would shoot the shit out of things at one time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm guessing in 1955 they would have had an attached artillery battery
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm guessing in 1955 they would have had an attached artillery battery
I was going to say they'd have a 30 minute HE and WO fire mission, then tax air and then they'd walk across the new parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
9:32.. just like fuckin' Saigon!
View Quote
"I was 13 asshole...."
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1st SFOD-D was not the first US military "hostage rescue team".  The first was Project BLUE LIGHT.  But Col. Beckwith, who while an SF officer hated SF* and was in love with the idea of the 1960s SAS**, convinced the Army Chief of Staff that a highly trained and competent SF CT unit was unacceptable and he (Beckwith) needed to recreate a past version of the SAS*** to do the mission.

*Beckwith had served in Project DELTA in Vietnam and not in 'traditional' SF.  His pre-Vietnam experience in the 7th SF Group convinced him that SF wasn't shit.  And he never made a secret of that.
** Beckwith did an exchange with 22nd SAS in Malaysia in 1962 and from them on wanted to recreate that version of the SAS in the US Army.
*** Beckwith never grasped that the SAS keeps evolving to meet evolving missions.
View Quote
Holy shit!  I forgot about them.  My bad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's interesting to see how far general weapons handling skills have come since then.  The two dudes in the intro looked like a bag of mashed assholes by modern standards.
View Quote
I was kinda shocked at how normal everyone looked.  The only obvious gym-rat was the medic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Physical ability has evolved a ton.

There is a good book, Killer Athletes...it discusses a lot of it in some ways.

Guys now are much faster, stronger, and have greater endurance.  It's a whole different animal from the physical standpoint just as it is in professional sports.  Video diagnostics...huge improvement.  Shrek is big on this with the Coache's Eye app...I downloaded it and it works well on the range.  

Plus, lessons learned are passed and documented much better...or were until everyone started getting investigated for murder because they shot a combatant on the battlefield...but that's a whole other topic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You kind of make it sound like they ripped off the SAS or something. Beckwith openly modeled Delta on the SAS(a concept he started pushing after an exchange tour with them in 1962, and there was plenty of collaborative effort between the two units in the process. Then the process was repeated with Coulson and the HRT.
View Quote
I never used the word ripped off, and of course it was a collaborative effort. I suppose my intent was to let OP know that the HRT was mostly based off what delta was doing which was based off the SAS, and I'm fairly confident OP wouldn't making fun of the SAS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey, you can't be the first at everyting.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Go with the proven system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delta "borrowed" from the SAS, well lets be honest they were mostly a carbon copy back in those days, and HRT copied delta. It was what it was and that "lame old gear" worked just fine.
Hey, you can't be the first at everyting.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Go with the proven system.
OF course, I was just pointing out that the SAS was the first, and everyone borrowed from them, esp after Princes Gate. Though Delta was certainly ahead of the curve on everyone else being founded in 77.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was kinda shocked at how normal everyone looked.  The only obvious gym-rat was the medic.
View Quote
The "gym rat" physique is a rather new thing (in the scheme of years)... You look back pre-2000'ish and most people in that line of worked looked pretty ordinary, in shape and athletic, but ordinary. Iknow, have know, a few guys in those lines of work and have seen pictures of them, they were what would be considered skinny or average.

All I know (gym rat'wise) is we're going to see a lot of fat guys in their late-50's and 70's in the coming decades. lol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The "gym rat" physique is a rather new thing (in the scheme of years)... You look back pre-2000'ish and most people in that line of worked looked pretty ordinary, in shape and athletic, but ordinary. Iknow, have know, a few guys in those lines of work and have seen pictures of them, they were what would be considered skinny or average.

All I know (gym rat'wise) is we're going to see a lot of fat guys in their late-50's and 70's in the coming decades. lol.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
Gym rats typically get fat.

Thinner people -like those I saw in the video - who do aerobic exercise normally seem to stick to some level of aerobic exercise throughout their lives.  Gym rats stop going to the gym and just get fat.

Come on, we all know at least 20 guys like that.  Fat guys who still think they have the strength and endurance since they still have the size, but who are really just fat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thinner people who do aerobic exercise normally seem to stick to some level of aerobic exercise throughout their lives.  Gym rats stop going to the gym and just get fat.

Come on, we all know at least 20 guys like that.
View Quote
I only know fat people. I never knew they were gym rats.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is that Lon Horiuchi?
View Quote
You could tell if it was Lon if only the tiny plates went down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After Delta became known, the FBI wanted in, and everyone thought it OK.

The SAS role model was the only fashion statement NATO countries followed.
View Quote
More like Delta was prevented from operating on US Soil due to them being Military and an actual Law Enforcement Unit needed to be activated.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Hut hut hut hut hut
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
They still have a lot in common with CAG.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hensoldt Aiming Point Projector.  Why yes, I did look to see if anyone had one for sale...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-parts-accessories-sale/40994d1459131336-wts-hk-hensoldt-factory-aiming-device-dsc00535.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The NV-equipped MP5 looks like it'd be loads of fun to carry.

The NV one I meant is at 16 min... and probably about 16 pounds heavier.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#30]

I love the GPS on his arm.  Cause, you know, gotta have that grid on tap when you call in an airstrike on your completely static active crime scene.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delta "borrowed" from the SAS, well lets be honest they were mostly a carbon copy back in those days, and HRT copied delta. It was what it was and that "lame old gear" worked just fine.
Beckwith had done an exchange tour with the SAS in the 60s and was one of the Army's senior field grades from SF that the Army was listening to when it came to a new hostage rescue force they wanted in the late 70s. When SFOD-D got stood up following the previous failure of Blue Light Beckwith had near complete control on doing whatever the hell he wanted. So he used the SAS model because Beckwith knew it and liked it and had been trying to create a US Army SAS unit for decades. Over time they switched things out and made it more "American."
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Was that a Quinn Martin production? 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I love the GPS on his arm.  Cause, you know, gotta have that grid on tap when you call in an airstrike on your completely static active crime scene.
View Quote
The '85 video has snipers creeping through the woods and taking compass bearings to find their firing position.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Some are former members, so that may be why.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thinner people -like those I saw in the video - who do aerobic exercise normally seem to stick to some level of aerobic exercise throughout their lives.  Gym rats stop going to the gym and just get fat.

Come on, we all know at least 20 guys like that.  Fat guys who still think they have the strength and endurance since they still have the size, but who are really just fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Yep^. People get injured and can't lift (and other reasons). One gains fat, but at the same time loses muscle; Still look big, but are not in shape, or particularly strong.

I got razzed badly when I was in my teens and 20's for being skinny/scrawny, I always said I wouldn't bet fat in my 40's and my friends would... They are all pudgy, I'm not. I still am of the opinion that people were not built to get that big and the gym rats are going to pay for it later in life (not all, there are many examples who didn't go to crap). Obviously people like HRT, ect, do aerobic exercise... But, most all of the gym rats I've known don't do any aerobic exercise at all (don't want to lose my gains man). Strength, stability, speed, mobility, and stamina are what is needed, so one needs a mix. I mean how many people have you seen who are young a buff when in the mil (last couple of decades), get out, and get fat/out of shape. Suppliments have probably had an effect on size as well.

Just to get back on topic, I've met people who have shot/seen HRT shoot and they are very, very good shots and supposed a very good group of people.

Delta wants no part of domestic operations, HRT are all Agents/LE, who do you want drug into court or preserving evidence?

Still wish that bitch Reno hadn't have chopped up the damn Novak High Powers, bitch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The '85 video has snipers creeping through the woods and taking compass bearings to find their firing position.
View Quote

And those are snipers.

Not what was pictured.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Dudes tan K-bar sheath threw off his whole style
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know where you can get one of those VFG/ for the full size mp5?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And those are snipers.

Not what was pictured.
View Quote
They've done some manhunts and things that would involve rural patrolling. I don't know that it warrants that GPS setup but it's been done.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

More like Delta was prevented from operating on US Soil due to them being Military and an actual Law Enforcement Unit needed to be activated.
View Quote
Not exactly. CT on US soil could be done with the military and as I understand it there is a standing order allowing CAG to do it if necessary.

I have no objections personally to CAG doing that work domestically. Search warrants I would object to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#42]
If you haven't, you should go check out the autobio of the founder of FBI HRT. Goes into a lot of details I never knew about Ruby Ridge, Waco and the OKC bombing.
No Heroes
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some civilian PD SWAT teams have boards or computers in their CP that have the positions of team members plotted on maps.  The maps can be used to cut down on having friendlies in a field of fire, locate a member on perimeter duty who has been shot, or simply make it easier to relieve a member in place.  Having an actual grid of each member would make that map much more accurate.  He may have it for the extremely rare case of calling a medevac, possibly a life flight.

Rarely, cops do have to move or patrol over some distance (not very long by mil standards) to something like a house with a barricaded person.

He may just be in the habit as a hold over from military service.

I don't know if any of those apply to the guy in that pic, but I doubt he has it just because he thinks it's cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

, but I doubt he has it just because he thinks it's cool.
View Quote

lol

somebody forgot his ABCs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

lol

somebody forgot his ABCs.
View Quote
1.  Always look cool
2.  Always know where you are
3.  If you don't know where you are, at least try to look cool

Anyway, there are legitimate uses for a GPS in civilian LE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Since many here mentioned how things have evolved, Joan Lunden had a series called "Behind Closed Doors". In one episode she highlights the HRT. This is about 10yrs later.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e17PyNToqE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Anyway, there are legitimate uses for a GPS in civilian LE.
View Quote

Unquestionably.  But you gotta have your wrist mount for instant access?  And it looks like an urban area.  a wrist mounted grid photo makes sense there.

whatever.  they are cool, I am not.  But how much of what they have is necessary and how much is, "well, cAG uses it, so we must have it, too"
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not exactly. CT on US soil could be done with the military and as I understand it there is a standing order allowing CAG to do it if necessary.

I have no objections personally to CAG doing that work domestically. Search warrants I would object to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a big thing when Delta was started and JAG would not let them use the title of AGENT. This where the title of OPERATOR came into play.  Cops are AGENTS either Federal, State, or Local and not OPERATORS. Posse Comitatus prevents the military acting as Agents to enforce Domestic Law. In certain cases the US Attorney General can request DOD for help if it is determined that Agents of Law Enforcement can not handle the situation.  They can not go around hunting down Terrorists in the United States.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top