Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

True. But they are also not "just property."

This is reinforced by the fact that if you shoot a police K9 it is "assualt on an officer."

Keep repeating the internet fairy tale and maybe it will be true.

I heard on the 'net a private citizen can order a firearm and have it shipped to an FFL, then the FFL HAS to do the transfer, since the citizen owns the gun.

If you attack certain animals, police dogs, police horses, seeing eye dogs, or other guide dogs, there is more of a penalty thant attacking animals that are not as highly trained. It has to do with the cost to purchase, train, and maintain, that specialty animal.

Not true at all.

A homeless man in Hollywood FL just last year was charged with "assaulting an officer" when he stabbed a police dog with a screw driver. It didn't happen on the internet, it happened in my county.

Then you should not have any trouble finding the revelant statute then.

843.19  Offenses against police dogs, fire dogs, SAR dogs, or police horses.--

Any person who intentionally and knowingly, without lawful cause or justification, causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or death to, or uses a deadly weapon upon, a police dog, fire dog, SAR dog, or police horse commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  Show where it states in there that injuring a police dog is assaulting as officer as you claim

That is a Florida statute.

Now I'm not a lawyer and I don't have the big book of Florida statutes handy.

And it might not be true where you are, but in South Florida a man was charged with "assault on a police officer" for stabbing a dog with a screw driver. I'm really not making this up.

I didn't intend to imply it was some national "across the board" thing, but that is how it is down here.

I understand you probably won't take my word for it, but that is the best I got.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It is the law. So what happens when a Police dog attacks me and he or she has no badge or vest on and I kill it??????????????????????????????????????????????? I go to jail for killing a cop that is what happens. It has happen so far there was a story about that not too long ago. Cops are God, stay clear of them if U dont want to go to jail or get shot. Just lay down on the ground and DONT move.Im not against cops, Hell I know alot of them here in Jax's. I just dont like them running over us Civies when they feel like it.

The story you're referring to is about a K-9 that got out of its yard w/o any ID and a neighbor shot/killed the dog because the dog was threatening the man and his child. The statutes 'protecting' public servants - including K-9's - usually include some statement about "knew or should have reasonably known" the person or dog was a public servant.  How the DA was going to prove the shooter 'knew or should have known' the above dog was a K-9 is beyond me.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to give you shit but when I had a paper route as a kid we dealt with aggressive territorial dogs armed only with squirt guns full of lemon juice.

Perhaps officers could be issued such weapons and trained in their use by 8 year old kids.

I was bit twice as a paper boy..............................

We're sending you back through paper boy boot camp.

One of them go to bite, but it was a bite that cost him more.... I was on a bike when he got my ankle, he got taken for a ride...................

The other one ambushed me. It usually alway barked, but this one day it hid behind a tree all quiet like, then struck, it was like a Viet-Cong, it was a GSD-Cong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And it might not be true where you are, but in South Florida a man was charged with "assault on a police officer" for stabbing a dog with a screw driver. I'm really not making this up.

I didn't intend to imply it was some national "across the board" thing, but that is how it is down here.

I understand you probably won't take my word for it, but that is the best I got.

Any chance the media might have botched the title of the statute the man was charged with?

Brian
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The owner should be ticketed for not having his animal under control.  The officer did nothing wrong.  They should be able to shoot anything or anyone they feel is a threat to them.  That's why they go through weeks of trainin.  Obviously this officer knew exactly what needed to be done at the time.  Anybody guessing otherwise is just Monday morning quarterbacking.

WOW

No shit.

So there, skippy. How's that crack pipe been treating ya?

Not too well, huh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

True. But they are also not "just property."

This is reinforced by the fact that if you shoot a police K9 it is "assualt on an officer."

Keep repeating the internet fairy tale and maybe it will be true.

I heard on the 'net a private citizen can order a firearm and have it shipped to an FFL, then the FFL HAS to do the transfer, since the citizen owns the gun.

If you attack certain animals, police dogs, police horses, seeing eye dogs, or other guide dogs, there is more of a penalty thant attacking animals that are not as highly trained. It has to do with the cost to purchase, train, and maintain, that specialty animal.

Not true at all.

A homeless man in Hollywood FL just last year was charged with "assaulting an officer" when he stabbed a police dog with a screw driver. It didn't happen on the internet, it happened in my county.

Then you should not have any trouble finding the revelant statute then.

843.19  Offenses against police dogs, fire dogs, SAR dogs, or police horses.--

Any person who intentionally and knowingly, without lawful cause or justification, causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or death to, or uses a deadly weapon upon, a police dog, fire dog, SAR dog, or police horse commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  Show where it states in there that injuring a police dog is assaulting as officer as you claim

The newpaper people probably said that and as usual, they got it wrong.

As already stated,  Different statutes. Considering an animal as human for ANY reason would be an earth-shattering precedent.  The PETA crowd has been trying to accomplish this for years.

Imagine a deer hunter getting indicted for murder.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any chance the media might have botched the title of the statute the man was charged with?

Brian

If they did they did it on paper and TV and did it consistently.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]

After reviewing the details, township police determined Bell acted appropriately, said Ivone, who characterizes the dog's approach to Bell as fiercer than just barking.

"The dog comes running out at him, growling, in attack mode -- what do you do? In the safety of officers or other people, you use whatever force is necessary."

This says to me that the dog should be dead, and it's probably the owners fault.  Fuck the owner, and good job to the cop for taking out a threat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

Yep you are right...people suck
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Not surprising, since reporters are lazy as hell and news stories are  almost always copied fom a single source.    

Think about this for a second.  Tomorrow some judge states that a dog is equal to a human, has the same rights under the law as a human, and can address grievances before the court.

Automatically you'd be guilty of slavery for having Fido.  Guilty of mutilation if you had him spayed.  Murder if you had him put down.

Animals are not legally human, no matter what the PETA guys want you to think.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Piscataway cop shoots, kills dog; family wants $5M

By CELANIE POLANICK
Staff Writer

When Bell arrived at the scene, he saw the front door open, a broken window next to it and a car in the driveway with its door open, all setting the scene for what appeared to be a burglary in progress, said police Capt. Richard Ivone, the department's spokesman.

When Bell saw Brian Colbath and began to question him, Maxie jumped out of the car, barked and growled and approached the officer, coming within one to two feet of Bell and acting aggressively, according to a police report.

Both Bell and Brian Colbath yelled for Maxie to stop. When she didn't, Bell pulled out his service revolver and shot Maxie in the head. Bell then kept the gun trained on Brian Colbath, who rushed out to hold her, Brian Colbath said.

Bell's continued use of the gun violated Brian Colbath's Constitutional rights, Mark said.

Thats really all I need to hear.

Good shoot in my opinion. I dont think the family should get a dime.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#13]
i dont know, i hope the owner gets it.

while i do know that there are many more great cops then bad ones, but unfortunatly i have run into way more goofball keystone coppers and SuperTroopers.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

while i do know that there are many more great cops then bad ones, but unfortunatly i have run into way more goofball keystone coppers and SuperTroopers.

Who do you think pays that settlement?

It was the homeowner who couldn't control his dog.  Wasn't it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the cop let him?

My guess is Barnie was a bit jumpy to begin with...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the cop let him?

Given the scene he arrived upon, he would be stupid to not be suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If he didn't want to be liable for the 5 million then he shouldn't have shot the dog.  Isn't that how it works when someone gets their ass whipped by a cop?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the cop let him?

This from a guy that admits to drawing down on folks walking up to his front door.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not surprising,  

This is exactly what happened.  

Battery and Assault statutes fall under Chapter 784.  The Chapter that deals with the police dogs is 843, which is an Obstruction of Justice charge.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I wasn't there but I got to say, If I was on duty and in condition Black as I would be responding to a call like this; there is no dog on the planet that I couldn't put down with a swift kick to the chest. Any male officer in uniform on duty can put down any dog with his foot. There is never a need to shoot a fucking LAB to stop him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
What a F-ing mess.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wasn't there but I got to say, If I was on duty and in condition Black as I would be responding to a call like this; there is no dog on the planet that I couldn't put down with a swift kick to the chest. Any male officer in uniform on duty can put down any dog with his foot. There is never a need to shoot a fucking LAB to stop him.

Is that you John Wayne?....Is this me?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would that be considered a full power shot?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The tazer worked fine for this cop www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0u0jb-qxJE
OH my that was fu@king funny.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the cop let him?

This from a guy that admits to drawing down on folks walking up to his front door.

From the lamb who thinks someone should be able to walk around on other peoples property in the middle of the night...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel for the family because dogs ARE family just like any other member.  In this case, I'd have no problem with some type of compenstation, but $5M is a freaking joke.

Continued insanity....

HH

Cops really do need to explore a Tazer or pepper spray solution.

Absolutely right.  There's GOT to be another way to subdue aggressive dogs without shooting them.  You analogy to regular dogs and K-9's was spot on.  Our dogs are just as valuable to us as their K-9's are.  

HH

I'd much rather the aggressive running loose pitbull be shot. Makes me feel better. Sorry.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey buddy, I don't want to get into it with you but seeing how I have shot many dogs myself as well as real life bad guys, I can say that no fucking dog will ever scare me to the point of shooting it. The point here is that cops in this country make $30k a year on average and because of that we have many shitbag cops on the streets. I'm not saying you are one but you know what I mean. I make more as a Sgt in the Corps than most cops make in this country.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Good. It is no Joke whrn Yahoos just cap your dog. Or Break Down the wrong door.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope the family wins.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you guys read the actual article, or did you just read "Local Cop shoots dog"?

Honestly?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel for the family because dogs ARE family just like any other member.  In this case, I'd have no problem with some type of compenstation, but $5M is a freaking joke.

Continued insanity....

HH

Absolutely right.  There's GOT to be another way to subdue aggressive dogs without shooting them.  You analogy to regular dogs and K-9's was spot on.  Our dogs are just as valuable to us as their K-9's are.  

HH

I'd much rather the aggressive running loose pitbull be shot. Makes me feel better. Sorry.

You use "pitbull" like liberals use "assault weapon, AK47 and UZI."

The dog in questions was a Labrador and golden retriever. Not every dog in every story is a pitbull. Not every dog in every story is a junkyard dog guarding a crack house.

If that was always true there wouldn't be cases like this.

The problem is when family pets are shot and killed because a police officer must make a decision as to if a dog will or will not actually attack him. This is made worse in instances where the dog was merely defending family or property as they are suppossed to.

Just as police would prefer to NOT shoot a 12 year old kid armed with a knife and as a result sought LTL solutions to such shitty scenarios, I think we really need to explore LTL solutions to the family dog problem.

If cops had something like dog repellent or a doggie taser they would find themselves with a lot more support if all they did to a dog was make it behave. People tend to be a lot less upset when their dog is still alive.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just as police would prefer to NOT shoot a 12 year old kid armed with a knife and as a result sought LTL solutions to such shitty scenarios, I think we really need to explore LTL solutions to the family dog problem.

If cops had something like dog repellent or a doggie taser they would find themselves with a lot more support if all they did to a dog was make it behave. People tend to be a lot less upset when their dog is still alive.

just remember almost every department, including all the departments in your area of south florida, have policies which forbid the use of less lethal weapons unless a firearm is also deployed by a second officer at the same time.

the reason why? less lethal weapons have a huge failure rate. Even when they work "correctly", they arent as effective as theyre made out to be. Me personally, have gone through 3 tasers in 2 years, and have only deployed it 3 times. 2 of the 3 times it has failed to operate properly.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

Bingo.  Hell, most people aren't worth 5m.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Continued insanity....

HH

Ill let you come try it when we go up on a house with 2 or 3 large dogs trying to defend their territory.  Dogs cant be reasoned with but I also believe an officer must to everything they can to avoid hurting the animal(s).
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Both Bell and Brian Colbath yelled for Maxie to stop. When she didn't, Bell pulled out his service revolver and shot Maxie in the head. Bell then kept the gun trained on Brian Colbath, who rushed out to hold her, Brian Colbath said.

Bell's continued use of the gun violated Brian Colbath's Constitutional rights, Mark said.

F.Y.

The officers insisted on dragging the dog onto the grass first so the bullet wouldn't ricochet off the driveway, Brian Colbath said.

And if they'd shot her, and one of them had gotten hit, it  would have been a lawsuit for that as well, and they'd be claiming the po-po tried to execute them.

It's a bad situation all around. I feel for the family for their loss of a family member, and I feel for the cop, as I'm pretty sure he didn't plan on shooting the family pet. But $5 mil? Please.

[aside]I think I would have head shot the dog as well, or called for a vet to put her down if one was close. Shooting for the heart was a bad call. [/aside]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

wait and see, in bleeding heart liberal new jersey they well might be soon.

By the way if you someone shoots my dog I really hope I'm not armed at the time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I sense a little hypocrisy here.

If I feel threatened by a police dog (they got the wrong guy), and I shoot the K9, I go to jail for murdering a "police officer".

If some triggerhappy cop shoots my dog, he gets off scot free?

Sorry, but that's bullshit. If K9's are "officers" then a dog is a "family member", regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just remember almost every department, including all the departments in your area of south florida, have policies which forbid the use of less lethal weapons unless a firearm is also deployed by a second officer at the same time.

the reason why? less lethal weapons have a huge failure rate. Even when they work "correctly", they arent as effective as theyre made out to be. Me personally, have gone through 3 tasers in 2 years, and have only deployed it 3 times. 2 of the 3 times it has failed to operate properly.

Thinking back to the famous internet Tazer lady, his partner did NOT deploy a firearm.

Are you saying he violated policy?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I did not read all the replies. NO dog is worth 5 millions dollars. Not one dog, not ten dogs. Is compensation warrented? I do not care, but not 5 millions dollars.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Continued insanity....

HH

Ill let you come try it when we go up on a house with 2 or 3 large dogs trying to defend their territory.  Dogs cant be reasoned with but I also believe an officer must to everything they can to avoid hurting the animal(s).

I was NOT saying using current pepper spray or tasers, I meant LTL soultions similar in concept. I meant develop things along the same lines but for dogs.

If a LTL ALTERNATIVE can be developed, it doesn't matter if the dogs can be reasoned with or not. Incapacitated is incapacitated.

If a LTL ALTERNATIVE was developed and you didn't have to kill dogs in situations such as you described, wouldn't that be a good thing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?  Black is frozen/panic and unable to function

You have no idea what you are talking about as shown by your lack of ability to use the correct terms to even be able to describe the scenario.  I have OC'd a dog with an entire can and it didn't stop him.  Kicking it?  Is that a joke?  I have seen dogs that would love for you to stick that foot out for them to chew on.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Do they teach police officers this self defense tactic of shooting dogs at the academy?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thinking back to the famous internet Tazer lady, his partner did NOT deploy a firearm.

Are you saying he violated policy?

not sure who famous internet tazer lady is.. but it could have been. sometimes the policy is written so when confronted with a "deadly weapon" another officer must be present....

almost all have wording which when in a situation which an officer is met with force which the officer would receive great bodily harm or death, a less lethal weapon wouldnt be deployed unless an accompanying officer with superior weapon is present.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Continued insanity....

HH

I was NOT saying using current pepper spray or tasers, I meant LTL soultions similar in concept. I meant develop things along the same lines but for dogs.

If a LTL ALTERNATIVE can be developed, it doesn't matter if the dogs can be reasoned with or not. Incapacitated is incapacitated.

If a LTL ALTERNATIVE was developed and you didn't have to kill dogs in situations such as you described, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Sure. Just One more thing for a LEO to have to carry on his/her belt, and find in a microsecond of decision making. Let's see. Right hand, gun. Left hand taser/cs. Where will be put the doggie stuff?

edit: for SOME of my speeling
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Izz

i understand what your say but there is WAY too much of this going on to even begin to justify it

last year, an officer shot a fucking ShitTsu and claimed that he was worried because they have tremendous jaw power. its a 5 to 10 pound dog. not a rabid mastif.  

remeber the family who could shut the door durring a stop and their puppy got out wagging his tail and it was shot.

I am willing to be that the dog shot was just barking and was excited. some dogs are just loud and annoying.  if you want to see diffence look at a Police dog that is ready to attack or a pitt bull that is about to be fought.  HUGE difference

couple this with no knock warrents on the wronge address and people getting shot with playstation controls in there hands and people are getting tired of this.  

its allways,
opppps. wrong address sorry buddy
opppps, sorry about your beagle, he was comming right for me

if it was a drug dealler with a rabi Pitt trying to get at the offficer thats one thing, but this is a totally different case

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Absolutely right. There's GOT to be another way to subdue aggressive dogs without shooting them...

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

now youre talking utopia. the perfect weapon. Dont I wish I had enough room on the belt to carry EVERYTHING.

It would be great to have such a great tool which could do everything, but as of right now, it doesnt exist.

If it did exist, im sure cops wouldnt get it, since their budgets are usually crap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

Nor are they 'officers'
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#49]
As for the case itself, it has absolutely no merit whatsoever.  As has been pointed out, dogs don't qualify as people, so a wrongful death suit is ludacris, they should be laughed out of court.  By their reasoning anyone who runs over a cat in the street could be held liable for wrongful death,  "you have to yield to pedestrians don't ya know?"

The info given in the story, even with all of the gushing about Christmas card pictures with the dog BS means nothing to the case.  I can understand that those people considered the dog part of their family, but that doesn't mean the law does, or should.

I have yet to see one legitimate mistake uncovered on the part of the LEO.  To me it's pretty simple.

LEO arrives at a call he has to assume is legitimate, he sees evidence of a possible crime, before he has time to investigate further, an unknown dog attacks him as the homeowner(also unknown to the LEO at the time) yells at the dog.  I am not LEO, but I think a reasonable person would see two threats from this, one direct(the dog), and one possible(unknown homeowner).

The LEO cannot reasonably be expected to assess the situation in it's entirety while being attacked by the dog.  For all he knows it's the neighbors dog and the guy yelling is the threat reported by the alarm.  What is more important, that he tiptoes around a dog while trying to investigate a possible crime?, or to make sure that all of the "real" people are safe?

"Oh, OK, you're the homeowner and this is your dog attacking me, sorry about responding to the call, you saying that you are indeed the homeowner and this is your dog is plenty enough evidence for me, I'll just wait til' you stop your dog and be on my way, sorry to bother you and upset your dog sir...."(Though ludacris, this is the impression of how it should have gone down I glean from some of the responses here)

He dispatched the dog in a manner that he knew would be the most efficient and safe for all of the people, himself included(how dare he!).

As for alternative means to subduing the dog, I think that is reasonable, but not in this particular situation.  Say if LEO was serving a warrant, where he had to go into a fenced yard where there was a dog who was a threat.  Yeah, if you can find an effective way to neutralize the dog without hurting it, more power to ya.  But in this situation there was absolutely no time for the kid gloves with the dog.

I like to think I base my argument on logic and not emotion.
$.02

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dogs are not people

Nor are they 'officers'

They ARE taxpayer property though.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top