Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Former Republican

Libertarian now..

And if anti-gun legislation passes the house, you cannot complain any longer, now can you?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm a registered Libertarian. Have been for a couple of decades. Probably won't be much longer.

Better results can be had from inside the Republican party, imho.

Libertarians have some great think tanks and legal foundations, but the party is a trainwreck.

This, except I've never been registered as anything.  I agree 100% with change coming from "subverting" the GOP just as the Progressives have done with both parties.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm a hardcore Libertarian but I think the formal party is absolute shit run by old guys who need to disband the party to let a grassroots movement flourish.

I agree----at least open the leadership up, and get some younger folks into positions of influence, and for Pete's sake start using modern communications methods to get the message out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
So who is the Libertarian party candidate for 2016?
It's never to early to get the ball rolling especially with small or New Parties.
Please don't wait for the loser from the Republican Primaries.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a hardcore Libertarian but I think the formal party is absolute shit run by old guys who need to disband the party to let a grassroots movement flourish.

I agree----at least open the leadership up, and get some younger folks into positions of influence, and for Pete's sake start using modern communications methods to get the message out.

Stop being the douchebags on every internet forum. Stop lying about Polls, stop lying about conspiracies by the GOP to kidnap delegates. Get out and Campaign Now!!!!!! Get your guy "Out the firstest with the Mostest"... Don't run a GOP loser. There is a reason he lost.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I think there are two big problems you'll find with the Libertarian party OP:

-In many areas you will be building from the ground up. Seriously, it could be just you and a few other dudes for your local area.
-If you attend a Libertarian gathering, odds are there will be a other people there who won't think or look exactly like you.

These may not appear to be much, but they are significant hurdles to overcome. You're going to have someone who agrees with your position but for entirely different reasons. I saw a lot of this when attending Ron Paul meetings as well.

Quoted:
I'm a registered Libertarian. Have been for a couple of decades. Probably won't be much longer.

Better results can be had from inside the Republican party, imho.

Libertarians have some great think tanks and legal foundations, but the party is a trainwreck.

I think the above was valid until this year's election season.

The (L) party is indeed a trainwreck but the Republican Party does not tolerate dissent. Just like they got redistricted Allen West and booted small-government people from their committees  they'll get rid of Rand Paul. The "conservatives" spent years pretending that they were against the establishment RINOs yet united with them at the convention and jumped for joy to show the evil Paulbots a lesson.

Also I find it genuinely repulsive that the Republican party cares more about the potential voting habits of foreigners than they do the young people of their own country, but that's a different topic.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop being the douchebags on every internet forum. Stop lying about Polls, stop lying about conspiracies by the GOP to kidnap delegates. Get out and Campaign Now!!!!!! Get your guy "Out the firstest with the Mostest"... Don't run a GOP loser. There is a reason he lost.

Heck, if the leadership listened to me, they'd be going all out with House candidates for '14 right now, along with state level house and senate candidates, and lower level candidates for '13 and '14 races as well, along with grooming Senate and WH candidates for '16.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#9]
There would be many Libertarians if the flawed 2-party system was broken up. Many feel they need to pick one or the other so they pick Republican. Not me though.

I'd love to see an increase in this party's movement. I think a lot of Democrats/Liberals would hop on this train too
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Former Republican

Libertarian now..

And if anti-gun legislation passes the house, you cannot complain any longer, now can you?

Ron Paul & Gary Johnson were the only two men running last election who would have absolutely, positively vetoed any gun control measures that hit their desk.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Another Libertarian here, just as anybody who actually values real freedom is.

Libertarian, the anti-control-freak party!
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Be a great idea if they were competent to run a party, or even a single campaign.

Says the Republican whose party fucked up big-time the last two elections, causing us to be in the mess we now find ourselves in. You'll forgive me if I don't take yours or any of your cohorts comments seriously ever again.

Stick a fork in the GOP, they are done.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Far right conservative here.  I can't completely identify with the libertarians though.    Near as i can tell, libertarians are mostly either  Godless,  or anarchists,.  Either way ,  I can't fully get on board.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I am not a member of any party, and I am willing to vote for anybody who is fit for the job, regardless of party.

I did vote for Gary Johnson for president, but I am not a member of the libertarian party.

This pretty much sums up the way I see parties:

“I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This Spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but in those of the popular form it is seen in its greatest rankness and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual, and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation on the ruins of public liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the public councils, and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another; foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passion. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of liberty. This within certain limits is probably true and in governments of a monarchical cast patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose; and there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be by force of public opinion to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

It is important, likewise, that the habits of thinking in a free country should inspire caution in those entrusted with its administration to confine themselves within their respective constitutional spheres, avoiding in the exercise of the powers of one department to encroach upon another. The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments in one, and thus to create, whatever the form of government, a real despotism. A just estimate of that love of power and proneness to abuse it which predominates in the human heart is sufficient to satisfy us of the truth of this position. The necessity of reciprocal checks in the exercise of political power, by dividing and distributing it into different depositories, and constituting each the guardian of the public weal against invasions by the others, has been evinced by experiments ancient and modern, some of them in our country and under our own eyes. To preserve them must be as necessary as to institute them.”

George Washington, 1796 Farewell Address
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There would be many Libertarians if the flawed 2-party system was broken up. Many feel they need to pick one or the other so they pick Republican. Not me though.

I'd love to see an increase in this party's movement. I think a lot of Democrats/Liberals would hop on this train too

The Republican party spent time and money trying to get Gary Johnson off the ballot when he didn't even get enough votes in any state to put Obama over the top. I can't imagine the resources they'll dedicate if an (L) candidate starts pulling 3-5% of the vote.

The silver lining to this year's presidential election is that it was as close to a textbook "work within the party" move by Libertarians as possible and the rest of the party banded together to shut them down. So that's one less talking point to deal with in the future.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I love most Libertarian ideas, the people on the other hand...

On  MyBookSpace+FaceGoogle I had some Libertarian friends that:
1) Support the OWS movement.
2) Believe that the GOP teamed up with the media to silence Ron Paul Gary Johnson.
3) Couldn't see the fundamental differences between Romney and Zero.
4) Accused me of not loving freedom because I wanted to vote for a candidate that could  muster more than 2% of the popular vote.
5) Conspiracy theories.

It just turned me off completely. I would have loved to hear about their party but the above just wanted to make me gouge my eyeballs out with a spork.

However, I think if the Tea Party and Libertarian Party were to combine it would be a great outcome. Both parties have solid platforms that I could get behind and their fundamentals are basically the same. The Tea Party could use the youth aspect and the Libertarians Party could use the new inroads that the Tea Party has achieved within the GOP. All of that would require great leadership and so far I haven't seen it from either party. They need to start NOW to get the tide rolling for 2014 and 2016.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be a great idea if they were competent to run a party, or even a single campaign.

Says the Republican whose party fucked up big-time the last two elections, causing us to be in the mess we now find ourselves in. You'll forgive me if I don't take yours or any of your cohorts comments seriously ever again.

[/quote

Agree!

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I approve of the Libertarian philosophy and party, and would vote for them if times were better but with our gun rights under attack I will vote for whoever will defend them the strongest.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#19]
very well said.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Libertarian checking in here!!!

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
TANSTAAFL
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
While I am often thought of as a Libertarian I am really a Conservative Minarchist.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am one of the most outspoken LP critics on this forum.

I made a pledge this year to vote L in all local races the last election, to help them build from the bottom up.

Oops, there were none- only national and high state races they had no chance of winning.

They ignored all the local races they may have stood a chance in.

Because in reality they don't want to actually win any races and get into office, that would mean putting their ideas into action and that would take work.

They just want to run in races they can't win so they get a platform to talk about how much better their ideas are.

Political attention whores.

Agree, yeah, freedom is not a good idea and a political party that espouses freedom and a return to the Constitution is just a bad idea.

I was assured by some Libertarians here, that Gary Johnson was so pure he didn't even have to run a campaign.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree!

So then the Libertarian numbers should make the difference between Republican and Democrat? No, no they didn't.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh yes, so run to the party that considers 2% of the vote a shining success!

Yet it's our fault they lose....
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made a pledge this year to vote L in all local races the last election, to help them build from the bottom up.

Oops, there were none- only national and high state races they had no chance of winning.

Because in reality they don't want to actually win any races and get into office, that would mean putting their ideas into action and that would take work.

They just want to run in races they can't win so they get a platform to talk about how much better their ideas are.

Agree, yeah, freedom is not a good idea and a political party that espouses freedom and a return to the Constitution is just a bad idea.

I was assured by some Libertarians here, that Gary Johnson was so pure he didn't even have to run a campaign.

Pure.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a libertarian (and a vocal one at that), but not a party member. The party itself is fucked.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a libertarian (and a vocal one at that), but not a party member. The party itself is fucked.

True that. Should have some free time and money this year. Might see what's available local.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
The Libertarian party fits my ideal better than either of the other two I don't know if they will ever be a viable contender.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure.

If I remember correctly......... It was't you.
If Libertarians run an actual campaign with an honest to God Libertarian guy (meaning a Libertarian from the beginning) I think ya'll could take it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree with most of the Libertarian platform, but the drugs still bother the crap out of me. I like the way Ron Paul worded it once "I'm not for legalizing Heroin, I am for allowing states to choose if its legal or not."

Word RP....Word.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Former Republican

Libertarian now..

Same here .

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:47:47 AM EDT
[#34]
The only way any Conservative third party will gain traction is if there is a revolt within the GOP and those members form another party. Without recconized sane leadership any third party will flounder because of the nut-jobs they seem to draw like moths to a flame. Just look at the PaulBots. I mean Dr. Paul  was OK for the most part but damn, 2/3rds of his supporters were/are bonkers.

Speaking for myself I don't want nothing to do with the religious right, right to life, cut the .mil to the bone, and let's legalize all the drugs crowd. Loser ideas all.

As it is my time is best spent getting shed of status GOP Representatives through the (admittedly rigged) primary system. As it stands now that is about the only way I can see to change anything. If you can't get that done then I don't see the point of even voting in general federal elections.

Time will tell but that (R) next to a name don't mean shit these days. Vote for what they stand for instead of party.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The only way any Conservative third party will gain traction is if there is a revolt within the GOP and those members form another party. Without recconized sane leadership any third party will flounder because of the nut-jobs they seem to draw like moths to a flame. Just look at the PaulBots. I mean Dr. Paul  was OK for the most part but damn, 2/3rds of his supporters were/are bonkers.

Speaking for myself I don't want nothing to do with the religious right, right to life, cut the .mil to the bone, and let's legalize all the drugs crowd. Loser ideas all.

As it is my time is best spent getting shed of status GOP Representatives through the (admittedly rigged) primary system. As it stands now that is about the only way I can see to change anything. If you can't get that done then I don't see the point of even voting in general federal elections.

Time will tell but that (R) next to a name don't mean shit these days. Vote for what they stand for instead of party.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been GOP faithful since I can remember and I'm finding myself more and more disappointed with them. Find myself lookong for an alternative. Any Libertarian party supporters in here?

Same reason I jumped ship

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top