Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Under Armour Cold Gear Base layers

Use 2.0 mostly hunting standing for hours in teens and single digits with nothing but the base layer, insulated pants and jacket; no need for additional layering.

Use 2.0 & 3.0 snowboarding when it's in the negatives with again nothing but shell pants and shell jacket yet still plenty warm.

I don't get anything else but UA to keep light on layers and warm.
View Quote

I've always used UA as well. I see many people calling it overpriced, but it's what I have used and it works very well for me.

I have the original skin tight UA that I wear most days in the winter. If it's really cold or I am outside for a long time I wear 3.0 or 4.0. Stand hunting in late season? Combine them.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks everybody, lots to look at.  I like my under armor stuff for hot weather.  Their hot gear boxer briefs I've nicknamed "happy ball" underwear because playing golf in 90+ degrees with those on = happy balls.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use 2.0 mostly hunting standing for hours in teens and single digits with nothing but the base layer, insulated pants and jacket; no need for additional layering.

Use 2.0 & 3.0 snowboarding when it's in the negatives with again nothing but shell pants and shell jacket yet still plenty warm.

I have 2.0 and 4.0 and I'm very happy with them. I'm wearing my 4.0 lower set now under my jeans.

They were a gift so I don't know what they cost, but most of my other Under Armor stuff was kind of expensive. Regardless, I'm quite happy with them.

Thanks everybody, lots to look at.  I like my under armor stuff for hot weather.  Their hot gear boxer briefs I've nicknamed "happy ball" underwear because playing golf in 90+ degrees with those on = happy balls.

That underwear is some of the best money I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using merino wool almost exclusively since moving to MT and working outside all day.  If I sweat,  I don't get cold.  And it doesn't stink up so I can use two sets for a weeks worth of work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Every time this comes up, I recommend the same place.

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/

Best base layers made, US-made and manufactured, and cheaper than almost any imported crap. Awesome stuff.

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've always used UA as well. I see many people calling it overpriced, but it's what I have used and it works very well for me.

I have the original skin tight UA that I wear most days in the winter. If it's really cold or I am outside for a long time I wear 3.0 or 4.0. Stand hunting in late season? Combine them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good cold weather gear isn't cheap.  And 2nded on the happy ball underwear.  First time out with them and I bought 5 pairs later, they could charge 40 bucks and I'm still buying it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cold as fuck, max warmth, stationary (think fishing in 30 degrees on the water with your but on a boat, same as hunting on a stand covered in ice)
Cold as fuck, active, max warmth but don't get wet

View Quote

I have an outdoor aquaponics system.  I don't shut it down until the nighttime temperatures hit 27 or 28.  "Cold as fuck" is relative I guess.  

On a serious note, there are many materials that make good base layers:

1) Merino wool
2) Polypropylene
3) Polyester
4) Silk
etc.

They are all comparable in that they all wick sweat/moisture away from the skin which helps slow down conductive heat loss.  They come in varying "weights", such as Patagonia's Capilene Polyester which has 4 different thicknesses and designs.  The differences between the different materials are:

1) Some wear better
2) Some wick better
3) Some dry faster
4) Some are more UV and heat resistant
etc.

I don't think the differences are enough to make one material that much better than another unless you are using them for a specific application.  For generic hunting and fishing, you will be well-served by any of them.  It boils down to price and brand.  You also do want different weights for different temperature ranges.  

I have used polypropylene, Smartwool and silk.  This was the first year I've tried Patagonia Capilene, both 3 and 4 weight.  

ETA:  A quick note about cleaning:  Sweat has 2/3 the amount of salt as blood.  As salt and skin oils collect in the fabric, the wicking ability of the fabric suffers.  If you let it air dry you can get several days of use out of it, but it does have to be cleaned to restore it's full wicking ability.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top