Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.
Next to the hull of the Carrier that you're building, I was expecting it to be much smaller.  That Carrier must be close to 3 feet?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.
Next to the hull of the Carrier that you're building, I was expecting it to be much smaller.  That Carrier must be close to 3 feet?
View Quote

Right at.

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was stationed on the USS Lockwood FF-1064. We chased drug runners around central America
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
On the Lockwood as EMO/EWO from April 1976 to early May 1979.  Homeported in Yokosuka at the time.  All over Westpac and two Indian Ocean cruises.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like we have a Red Storm Rising fan.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems like we have a Red Storm Rising fan.
View Quote

Indeed. Doing a 688 boat, it's going to be Chicago, and an FFG-7 that's going to be Reuben James.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
USS Vreeland FF-1068, School of Hard Knox, Loyal Order of the Big Screw, Alumni.
OP, can you put a ruler in the next update pic to give it some scale?  Hard to tell how big it is.  I remember building a Monogram kit USS Ramsey FFG-2 as a kid.
View Quote
Jesus.  Those Broke-class FFGs.  We were outboard of one in Mayport that was having a Change of Command ceremony.  The Ship Control Officer and I were up on the 02 level looking down on it and he said "imagine working 20 years to finally get a command, and that's what you get."
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]

More of a Super Frigate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus.  Those Broke-class FFGs.  We were outboard of one in Mayport that was having a Change of Command ceremony.  The Ship Control Officer and I were up on the 02 level looking down on it and he said "imagine working 20 years to finally get a command, and that's what you get."
View Quote

Other side of the coin is anybody can command a nice new shiny ship where everything works. Takes talent to keep a broke dick 20-30 year old hull meeting its mission.

Nice to see so many fellow "Tin Can" sailors here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More of a Super Frigate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

More of a Super Frigate.

Brit skippers were under orders not to attack an American frigate alone with anything less than a Ship of the Line
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Brit skippers were under orders not to attack an American frigate alone with anything less than a Ship of the Line
View Quote

Very true, good reading for the Navy history buffs, "Six Frigates" by Ian Toll, lots of detailed info.
Six Frigates Book
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember reporting aboard in Mayport in 87.  MM2 corrected me in that "FF stands for Slow Frigate."  She definitely couldn't keep up with the Greyhound Navy, but I was proud to be on her, and not some Gator Freighter or Auxiliary.  Didn't have the classic lines or armament of an Adams Destroyer, but definitely warfighter capable.  About 4 months after I EAOS, she provided Naval gunfire support for Operation Just Cause in Panama.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very true, good reading for the Navy history buffs, "Six Frigates" by Ian Toll, lots of detailed info.
Six Frigates Book
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Six Frigates Book

Got a copy, good book.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Coming along. Got a few spots to refill.

Some voids in the cutwater. Going to have to use some green stuff on these. I still need to blend in the sonar dome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking good already!

Don't forget dents in the hull plates and rust.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Tagging for the results. Looking good!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]
While the kit parts are much better than equivalent injection molded parts, I'm replacing with much better detailed Veteran Models parts.

CIWS

SLQ-32

ASROC
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Can't argue with that!
View Quote

been on that boat a couple times, built a couple replicas as well

its neat

and they musta been short fuckers back then
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

its neat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Can't argue with that!

its neat

My grandfather had a 4×4×6 block of wood that came from part of Constitution that was replaced during one of her restorations. He was a retired Navy Captain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for outcome.  I used to build 1/700 scale WWII ships.  Loved doing that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My grandfather had a 4×4×6 block of wood that came from part of Constitution that was replaced during one of her restorations. He was a retired Navy Captain.
View Quote

I think DJTJR got a rifle from the guys at Q that has a stock or grip made from Constitution wood
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What do you do with these after they're done?

Pics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. Doing a 688 boat, it's going to be Chicago, and an FFG-7 that's going to be Reuben James.

What do you do with these after they're done?

Pics?

No ships done yet. Finally starting to build again after a few years. Been doing 1/16 rc tanks.

Fury is still in progress.

Let's see... Old stuff that has been lost during many moves.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because we built them so well, that they pretty much were ships-of-the-line. I think we decided to call them frigates to fuck with people on purpose, kinda like the STG/MP44.

"Ja. Is maschinenpistole. We swear."
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#30]

1/72 scale.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice work! Lol at the USS Seatiger!.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very nice work! Lol at the USS Seatiger!.
View Quote

When the kit first came out, there was a thread on one of the ship modeling forums about it. Someone made a joke about who would be the first to do it. I took it upon myself to be the one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Ship models have undergone a bit of a renaissance in recent years.  Thanks to, of all people, the Chinese.   Check out SteelNavy.net or Modelwarship.com.

I generally avoid resin and most photo etch is way to fine for my ham fisted building technique, but I still plug away at it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Six Frigates Book
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Six Frigates Book

5 and spare would be more accurate. The Chesapeake ended up being very different from the first 5.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice.

...and because I'm a nerd...."if it were TRULY a scale replica, what would it weigh at 1/350 of the original....?"

Yikes! still 26,000lbs of displacement - or 11.8 Long Tons (4,066 Long Tons original).
What in the hell would an 18" model have to be made of to reach that weight?
View Quote

26,000 divided by 350 (1/350 scale) would be around 74 pounds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ship models have undergone a bit of a renaissance in recent years.  Thanks to, of all people, the Chinese.   Check out SteelNavy.net or Modelwarship.com.

I generally avoid resin and most photo etch is way to fine for my ham fisted building technique, but I still plug away at it.
View Quote

Yep. Trumpeter and it's branches have been putting out a steady stream of new 1/350 ships. Especially carriers. For years all we had were the Tamiya 1/350 ships, with a few DML/Dragon ships. Then along comes Trumpeter, and we get get WW2 and modern warships, including CVs and CVNs, which leads to the Japanese companies releasing new IJN ships including carriers, since the Chinese companies won't make them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep. Trumpeter and it's branches have been putting out a steady stream of new 1/350 ships. Especially carriers. For years all we had were the Tamiya 1/350 ships, with a few DML/Dragon ships. Then along comes Trumpeter, and we get get WW2 and modern warships, including CVs and CVNs, which leads to the Japanese companies releasing new IJN ships including carriers, since the Chinese companies won't make them.
View Quote

I waited decades, literally, for an RN County class CA.  It now looks like I may be able to do the whole class if I'm patient, and in 350 scale to boot.  I can't do 700 anymore.  Well, I can, but I don't enjoy it and it shows in the finished product. The Flyhawk Naiad keeps tempting me however.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I waited decades, literally, for an RN County class CA.  It now looks like I may be able to do the whole class if I'm patient, and in 350 scale to boot.  I can't do 700 anymore.  Well, I can, but I don't enjoy it and it shows in the finished product. The Flyhawk Naiad keeps tempting me however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same with me for a Baltimore clas CA to make a 1958 Saint Paul. Trumpeter finally announced one, but it's been "release next summer" for a few years now, so I broke down and bought the resin ISW Pittsburgh. I guarantee that now that I'm finally starting it once I finish it, the Trumpeter kit will finally be released.  Happens every time.

ETA: Started a thread on the cruiser.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Chasing the USS Midway around on plane guard.

<--- '81 to '86
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the Lockwood as EMO/EWO from April 1976 to early May 1979.  Homeported in Yokosuka at the time.  All over Westpac and two Indian Ocean cruises.

Chasing the USS Midway around on plane guard.

<--- '81 to '86

Yeah.  Plane guard could go from boring to "Oh Shit!" real fast.  Much tenser at night.  Most of the time the Plane Guard would be in the area because there were helos in the air or readily available  but sometimes we did the 1000yds "astern" holding the Midway 15 degrees relative off the port bow.  That usually meant the mid-line radar repeater was cranked in and a tiny box grease penciled in and we (I) spent the watch keeping the box on the carrier.   Night ops would mean almost all the usual lights were off for us except a mast head light for visual approach aid.

The Midway was usually pretty good about letting us know about course changes but now and then chasing the wind, we had to guess along with them.  IIRC I had the con twice for potential "Man Overboards."  One day, one night.  The night one was worse.  I can stiil remember more or less how we approached that.    We'd get it over radio, maybe two or more active freqs, whistle and flags, or flashing light.  I'd change course aiming at the stern, the Midway typically maintaining course and speed.  CIC would radar mark the Midway on the Dead Reckoning Tracer, and they'd then give range and bearings to the pencil point.  I'd "drive" it right to that spot.  In the meantime, they are adding look outs, the boat crew is readying the whale boat, the LAMPS crew, if we had one is, prepping for an Emergency Flight Quarters, just in case, and then start expanding squares, watching for anything on the surface, junk, trash bags, smokes, life rings, lights, etc.  If in some sort of formation, we might be worrying about anyone that had been following, hoping they are keeping well clear if not just paying real close attention to us.  By then we've got the Captain on the bridge (Yeah!), the XO has completed his FOD walkdown, the Ops Boss is messing about in Combat,  the Navigator and QMC are keeping track of where we are (with CIC) to get back to where we are supposed to be, GMGs are on the bridge wings with M14s, First Lt and BMC are scurrying around prepping for either a boat or recovery from alongside, etc.  One night maybe 30 minutes after getting off watch, there was a ramp strike - A6 tanker IIRC, so we did all that and GQ, too.  

That's in pretty much the first 5-10 minutes.  Then it could take easily 20 minutes or longer before they completed a muster and were reasonably confident that they had accounted for everyone.  Scarey.  Because pretty much only a head is out of water and almost any kind of seas make it really, really difficult to see anything in the water.

Went to Hong Kong with the Midway a time or too.  Shore Patrol was more interesting those times.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate sanding, but yhe results are worth it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Rudder position on the kit was incorrect.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, except the 26K is the 1/350th weight/displacement.... original is 4066 long tons or 9.1M lbs
Not that it matters since I was merely being a number crunch jackass for fun, and that’s not how it really works anyways (as others who didn’t get the joke have pointed out).

OP, loving the work thus far! The more realistic weapons systems is a nice add-on!
Do you have decals for the numbers and such? Or hand painting those?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, except the 26K is the 1/350th weight/displacement.... original is 4066 long tons or 9.1M lbs
Not that it matters since I was merely being a number crunch jackass for fun, and that’s not how it really works anyways (as others who didn’t get the joke have pointed out).

OP, loving the work thus far! The more realistic weapons systems is a nice add-on!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decals
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't joke about math.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#45]
What is this?  A frigate for ants?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because we built them so well, that they pretty much were ships-of-the-line. I think we decided to call them frigates to fuck with people on purpose, kinda like the STG/MP44.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just the way they were built, the way they were armed. Primary armament was 24-pounders, which were larger than what some European ships-of-the-line carried on their main gun decks. The shot of which was said to be able to penetrate two feet of oak at 1000-yards.

Joshua Humphries designed the class of American Frigates. Of them, he wrote, “They are superior to any European frigate, and if others should be in [the enemy’s] company, our frigates can always lead ahead and never be obliged to go into action, but on their own terms, except in a calm; in blowing weather our ships are capable of engaging to advantage double deck ships.” Taken from Six Frigates by Ian Toll. Highly recommended book.

Back to the thread!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What is this?  A frigate for ants?
View Quote

A frigant.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Mk 42 5"/54

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Not a frigate, but I did get to crawl around a ROCN Yang-Class, the DDG-925 Te Yang, formerly the Gearing-class DD-837 USS-Sarsfield.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top