Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2021 6:54:00 PM EDT
Back from 2 year hiatus from leg day.    Injury, covid lockdowns,  illness, laziness...

I went insanely light.   But I am still walking like I was sodomized by a 2x4.   Sideways...

Anyone find a way to manage doms?
I've  been using magnesium.
Gallon of water per day.  
Post workout cool down.  
Stretching.  
Hyperice massage gun (It elicited so much painful groaning that my wife thought I was jerking off).
A foam roller (sweet torture).

As well as ibuprofen.

Any pro tips.   And yes, I know I'm a little bitch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I came back from a hiatus of similar duration for similar reasons. When you say you went light you may also mean light on sets. If not, I suggest doing 3 or 4 iterations of just one set of 10 at light weight before adding a second, third, etc. set to your regimen. I did leg day with BES today, and feel better than if we hadn't.

You're looking at hydration and potassium, but be sure to get that hydration going prior to working out, and don't restrict sodium. You need a balance, and if you're not actually low on potassium you don't really need more. Just look at what you have and decide if that applies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came back from a hiatus of similar duration for similar reasons. When you say you went light you may also mean light on sets. If not, I suggest doing 3 or 4 iterations of just one set of 10 at light weight before adding a second, third, etc. set to your regimen. I did leg day with BES today, and feel better than if we hadn't.

You're looking at hydration and potassium, but be sure to get that hydration going prior to working out, and don't restrict sodium. You need a balance, and if you're not actually low on potassium you don't really need more. Just look at what you have and decide if that applies.
View Quote

Don’t forget napping. The napping helps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Walk it off
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don’t forget napping. The napping helps.
View Quote

I couldn't not nap afterwards. It was short, but it was going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I pulled 4 sets of 6 at 135 for dead lift.  

Then 2 sets of squats with just the bar and a single set of front squats with just the bar.  

I realized my mistake about 30 minutes later.  

Far cry from where I was.   Restarting is definitely depressing.    

I sort of maintained my upper body.   But completely ignored my legs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then 2 sets of squats with just the bar and a single set of front squats with just the bar.  

View Quote
yes the restart is really bad but you bounce back really fast.  after my arm injury i was struggling with 225 on bench.  4 months later of mediocre gym attendence and I'm back to just shy of my previous max.   just keep at it and you'll see results in no time
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You could have another workout with similar intensity and weights and it’ll get the DOMS out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You just have to live with it for a few days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
After you do that few times you learn that it’s impossible to go too light when starting back. It seems to get worse the older I get.

I think getting some blood flowing through them helps, maybe. Elliptical/bike or even light squats once you can move them. Whiskey just makes it even worse the next day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:...

Gallon of water per day.  
Post workout cool down.  
Stretching.  
Hyperice massage gun (It elicited so much painful groaning that my wife thought I was jerking off).

As well as ibuprofen.

View Quote

Active warmup, no static stretching.   More warm up sets.  More consistent protein.   And some cardio can help with the doms, ride a bike for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
You would think that science would have found a cure by now

It's up there with hair loss and the hangover.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back from 2 year hiatus from leg day.    Injury, covid lockdowns,  illness, laziness...

I went insanely light.   But I am still walking like I was sodomized by a 2x4.   Sideways...

Gallon of water per day.  
Post workout cool down.  
Stretching.  

As well as ibuprofen.

View Quote
Lots of stretching. Lots and lots. It's the only way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:14:44 AM EDT
[#13]
The most helpful tip I ever got with respect to reducing muscle soreness after a leg workout was to ride a stationary bike for 5 minutes at level 1 after the workout.  The thought being that it gets rid of the lactic acid buildup in the muscles.  

Here's an article to get you started:  Tips for reducing exercise-induced hyperlactatemia
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Try dramatically reducing your sodium intake, and moderately increasing your water intake.  The reduction in sodium made a HUGE difference for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I always found that more exercise is what helped DOMS the most.

I remember the first week of practice (3 a days) after a whole summer of fucking around and it would be a struggle each morning to roll out of bed and hobble up to the field.

Once you get your warm up laps in, then some stretching, then on to drills though, it fades away.

Get some blood flowing to your muscles, go for a walk, hop on a stationary bike, something.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that's not even high volume.

You're gonna have a fun month getting back into it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Glutamin helped when i first started.  From my personal experience seemed to help flush the lactic acid out makes you pee alot!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn, that's not even high volume.

You're gonna have a fun month getting back into it.
View Quote

I know!

I actually feel 90% better this morning.   Still tight at the distal ham strings.   But I can lower myself onto the toilet opposed to a controlled fall.  

I have extremely long legs.   I'm fighting leverage as well as gravity.    
If I had done my normal leg day, I'm pretty sure I'd still be walking around stiff legged.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glutamin helped when i first started.  From my personal experience seemed to help flush the lactic acid out makes you pee alot!!!
View Quote

I'll give that and the other suggestions a try.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I paid all weekend for Friday leg day and I hadn't been slacking.  Must be age.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I paid all weekend for Friday leg day and I hadn't been slacking.  Must be age.
View Quote

Gotta do legs every workout, then they don't have a chance to be sore.

I was scared about 20 minutes on the bike yesterday, I haven't done any steady state work in years, I feel fine though.

I need to work up to about 30-40 minutes at a good steady pace.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was scared about 20 minutes on the bike yesterday, I haven't done any steady state work in years, I feel fine though.

View Quote
No fucking way I'm doing squats every day at my age.  Takes me like 6 warm up sets just get beyond the pain.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No fucking way I'm doing squats every day at my age.  Takes me like 6 warm up sets just get beyond the pain.
View Quote

When I squat..  My knees sound like a fat man eating chicken wings.

I've made people leave the gym before.

Doesn't hurt.   But it sounds like it should.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say every day, I said every workout.

I've always enjoyed working out every other, and alternating between squats and deadlifts each workout.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My right knee does that, it calms down as I get into the working sets, but still happens.

It's fucking loud, to the point it would be alarming if I wasn't so used to it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been teaching late night safety meetings at work and didn't squat for almost2 weeks.

Saturday I did 5x5 @ 225.

I can't fucking walk today

More squats tonight
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My right knee does that, it calms down as I get into the working sets, but still happens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My right knee does the same thing, effing spooky noises sometimes.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Day 2 is the worst for DOMS.

For me I like to use sled pushes to help with them. Not heavy but enough to get your legs moving fast but still need to put some ass into it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I hit chest and triceps today.   Took pre for the first time in a year and went stupid hard.  

I have a feeling that I'll pay for this for a few days.    

I need to remember to not get out of shape again.  
Last March I developed septic bursitis in my right elbow.   Took about 6 months to recover fully.   It felt like I had a waterballoon in my elbow for a few months.  

That with the covid shutdowns I really let myself atrophy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hit chest and triceps today.   Took pre for the first time in a year and went stupid hard.  

Last March I developed septic bursitis in my right elbow.   Took about 6 months to recover fully.   It felt like I had a waterballoon in my elbow for a few months.  

View Quote
Softy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you really young or are you trying to get injured so you have a good excuse to take another break?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are you really young or are you trying to get injured so you have a good excuse to take another break?
View Quote

Mid 40s.   Just not too bright.  

And for reference.   I am not a novice lifter.   I just have not lifted steadily for the past year.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Walk it off
View Quote

This. Walking more definitely helps.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This. Walking more definitely helps.

View Quote

I can attest to this.   The longer I was stationary, the more tight they would be.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Hike angels landing a few days ago.   Not skipping legs definitely helped.

Made it to the summit in 3 hours.   Would have been closer to 2 if traffic on the chains was not so congested.

2.5 miles with a 1500 foot elevation gain.   I was puffing like a mofo on the way up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hike angels landing a few days ago.   Not skipping legs definitely helped.

Made it to the summit in 3 hours.   Would h ave been closer to 2 if traffic on the chains was not so congested.

2.5 miles with a 1500 foot elevation gain.   I was puffing like a mofo on the way up.
View Quote
Hope you wore your mask.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hope you wore your mask.
View Quote

Not to concerned..  The statistical probability of transmission while outside, in 10 to 20 mph winds, at 34 degrees, is not a concern.

It is a virus not a monster.   We have progressed past medieval superstition aside from the pageantry of wearing a piece of cloth over our faces.

Aside from all of that.   Everyone's safety is their own responsibility.   If you feel like the virus is going to get you.   Then stay away from others.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#39]
After a month of farting around with light weights and body eight.   I finally said screw it and started stacking weights on the bar.  

Just as sore, but I'm actually moving weight.   Albeit much lower than before I had stopped lifting.  

I came to the realization that regardless of how much I lift.   The doms pain will be the same.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Gallon of water per day.  
Post workout cool down.  
Stretching.  

As well as ibuprofen.

View Quote

You should be sore the day after, if you hurt 2-3 days after back off a bit.
There is such thing as too much damage and metabolites introduced to those muscles where the body uses resources to repair the muscles instead of repair and growing them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After a month of farting around with light weights and body eight.   I finally said screw it and started stacking weights on the bar.  

Just as sore, but I'm actually moving weight.   Albeit much lower than before I had stopped lifting.  

I came to the realization that regardless of how much I lift.   The doms pain will be the same.
View Quote

What program are you running and how much other physical activity do you get?

I still get twinges of DOMS, I have a little in my shoulders today, but it's almost never debilitating anymore, and hasn't been in a long time, even after taking a some time off.

If you are constantly so sore that it's affecting other parts of your life you probably either need to improve your recovery, or dial back the volume, or both.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honest question... are you doing everything I said to do above?

When I was young and dumb, I had severe DOMS for 3-5 days after every lift I did, so every part of my body was essentially in DOMS all the time.  

When I finally got sick enough of it to learn about how to minimize it, everything changed.   Now, on leg day, I'll do squats, weighted lunges, leg curls, seated calf raises, and donkey calves, and work the HELL out of them.   My legs will still be weak as jelly the next day, but really, there's only minimal actual soreness over the days after exercising.    Do a good DYNAMIC warmup.   Start lighter, do more warmup sets working up to heavy weights.   Get a lot of protein in you, and include a good amount of casein to keep the protein available 24/7.   And do some light bike work the days after your leg workouts if you need to.   Seriously, there's no reason to suffer like you're describing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When I was young and dumb, I had severe DOMS for 3-5 days after every lift I did, so every part of my body was essentially in DOMS all the time.  

When I finally got sick enough of it to learn about how to minimize it, everything changed.   Now, on leg day, I'll do squats, weighted lunges, leg curls, seated calf raises, and donkey calves, and work the HELL out of them.   My legs will still be weak as jelly the next day, but really, there's only minimal actual soreness over the days after exercising.    Do a good DYNAMIC warmup.   Start lighter, do more warmup sets working up to heavy weights.   Get a lot of protein in you, and include a good amount of casein to keep the protein available 24/7.   And do some light bike work the days after your leg workouts if you need to.   Seriously, there's no reason to suffer like you're describing.
View Quote

Everything you've said is good and aids recovery, but why not just increase your frequency?

OP, if "leg day" once a week turns you into a gimp for days afterward, maybe you should look into squatting twice a week.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#44]
You mostly just need to give it that week to week and a half to heal.  Increase your protein intake that should help
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Everything you've said is good and aids recovery, but why not just increase your frequency?

OP, if "leg day" once a week turns you into a gimp for days afterward, maybe you should look into squatting twice a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
If you don't have enough frequency, you are missing the training effect and your body is not becoming accustomed to a heavy workout or recovering from one. This is especially bad if you're focused on linear progression.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#46]
You should do deads on back day, especially if you're doing squats on leg day. Those two don't mix well especially if you're applying the proper intensity. Won't help with your soreness, but just a general observation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What program are you running and how much other physical activity do you get?

I still get twinges of DOMS, I have a little in my shoulders today, but it's almost never debilitating anymore, and hasn't been in a long time, even after taking a some time off.

If you are constantly so sore that it's affecting other parts of your life you probably either need to improve your recovery, or dial back the volume, or both.
View Quote

Doing a 4 day split.   Chest, back, rest, shoulders, legs, rest, rest.

I'm fairly active on my days off work.   On my days at work it is intermittent amounts of physical work.   Sometimes extreme exertion, sometimes minimal.  
It is difficult to train for.   But I've found that squats and deads make me feel way more stable when lifting awkward weights in wierd positions.

As I Posted earlier, I've recently started lifting legs again.   Had an injury at the beginning of 2020 and then the gyms closed.    
I had access to a gym at work, but it's difficult to complete a workout and not get pulled into something work related.

I'm starting to suspect that I'm genetically predisposed for doms.   Plus I have extremely  long legs,  I'm 6'6".

In the past, I've found that it takes about 2 months of consistent lifting before I am no longer sore after lifting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did actually.  

Treadmill for warm up and bike for cool down.  
Usually hit 175 to 200 grams protien a day.  
Pyramid warm ups.

I have found that turmeric has helped.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You should do deads on back day, especially if you're doing squats on leg day. Those two don't mix well especially if you're applying the proper intensity. Won't help with your soreness, but just a general observation.
View Quote

Just stumbled onto this video last night.  

He had an interesting point about volume and intensity.  

Full Body 5x Per Week: Why High Frequency Training Is So Effective

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I remember DOMS so bad I could barely get out of bed in college, but we were running 90-120 minute practices 3x a day, our legs were getting smoked.

Adaptation to that volume took about a week, maybe 2 weeks if you were lazy all summer.

If you just started training legs again you should probably be easing back into it and finding your MEV (minimum effective volume) for your goals. Say you ramp up to 3 top sets of squats and call it a day, are you still making progress week to week and month to month? No reason to add anything else.

Stalling on 3 sets, maybe its time to do 3 sets again a few days later at a lighter weight, or move up to 5 sets with a little less weight and work back up.

If you are just hammering your legs bodybuilder style, but it's affecting you elsewhere and especially affecting your other workouts, you have to balance it out a little better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top