BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Um you should be more worried about cleaning your couch and carpet then a jacket.
View Quote
My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I made my own... I want to kill my own someday and make a new one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Needs more paint and spikes...

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I looked for a long time. It’s saddening 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who makes a good quality leather jacket anymore? Most of the leather now is cheap chinese crap. I bought a Brooks probably 20 yrs ago and it was high quality. Unfortunately, I didnt stay the same size.
I looked for a long time. It’s saddening 
I think Vanson's are still awesome, I haven't shopped at them in years but they are at least worth a look. Hopefully quality hasn't fallen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife bought me this one, it's awesome.

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool. I love my leather jacket, I wear it all through fall-winter-early spring.

It's this:
Attachment Attached File

Alpha Industries leather MA-1. A family friend found it in a thrift store basically unused for something like $80; my wife bought it off of her and gave it to me as a Christmas gift.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Found this in Ethiopia, about 80 USD
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
OP could have simply taken a picture of the coat on a hanger.

But he went the extra mile to assemble a tableau that included a questionable sofa, grimy carpet, and nasty toes.

Well done sir, you've done GD proud!

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice - well done!

I had a leather bomber jacket I bought in 1990 and wore for years.  Unfortunately, I hung it up in the closet and it shrank on me!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Jesus Christ OP, do you not own a vacuum?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a Schott leather jacket about a month ago. LOVE it so far.

https://image.rakuten.co.jp/jasana/cabinet/schott/184sm-brn_p1.jpg

Can't wait for it to have some good patina like the one you picked up
View Quote
I bought my Schott in 1986, still have it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP could have simply taken a picture of the coat on a hanger.

But he went the extra mile to assemble a tableau that included a questionable sofa, grimy carpet, and nasty toes.

Well done sir, you've done GD proud!

https://m.popkey.co/61642c/WxA4D.gif
View Quote
Traditions are made to be upheld . The couch is not dirty, just WAY too busy.. but it was free. yes, it looks questionable in the photo the carpet... well, baby + cat+ being the main walkway through the house now that the play pin is up.. cant help that
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Not my cup of tea in leather jackets but if you're happy that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought a Schott leather jacket about a month ago. LOVE it so far.

https://image.rakuten.co.jp/jasana/cabinet/schott/184sm-brn_p1.jpg

Can't wait for it to have some good patina like the one you picked up
View Quote
I have an orignal Schott Perfecto (classic original biker jacket) in my collection.

You will NOT be disappointed with Schott.  They are awesome.

Top grain steerhide.  (Unlike "mystery leather" that is probably Yak scrotum, imported from Pakistan or whatever).
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a buttery soft lamb skin jacket that I paid like $800 for 20 years ago. I've never been able to bring myself to get rid of it in case they ever come back in style.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have an orignal Schott Perfecto (classic original biker jacket) in my collection.

You will NOT be disappointed with Schott.  They are awesome.

Top grain steerhide.  (Unlike "mystery leather" that is probably Yak scrotum, imported from Pakistan or whatever).
View Quote
I'll have you know, good sir, that Yak scrotum is is the finest leather in ALL of Pakistan!

...sorry, I just couldn't say that with a straight face!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Am sorry dude but toe jam from hell
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Don’t know if I’m the only one who noticed, OP has no bump or angle around the big toe or pinky toe. Straight-sided minecraft feet. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don’t know if I’m the only one who noticed, OP has no bump or angle around the big toe or pinky toe. Straight-sided minecraft feet. 
View Quote
Rofl!! I think you might be right 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#20]
My first real leather jacket was a Wilson’s A2 style I bought in 1985. I think I paid $75 for itin the middle of August.  I wish I still had it but, I outgrew it years ago.  

I bought this last year:

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My first real leather jacket was a Wilson’s A2 style I bought in 1985. I think I paid $75 for itin the middle of August.  I wish I still had it but, I outgrew it years ago.  

I bought this last year:

https://www.acejackets.com/assets/images/140front.jpg
View Quote
That is very nice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#22]
My beat to shit, NYPD MC cop jacket.  With awesome badge holes...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
very cool. I wish there was a way to bring some color back to the washed out parts of my old jacket. and fix/shore up some of the cuts in the leather. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is very nice.
View Quote
Thanks.  Mrs. Smokycity was the driving factor.  She told me to treat myself to it.  It's a Schott Navy Pea Coat in leather.  It was almost 10x the cost of my Wilson's A2 from 1985.  It's an awesome coat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Read up on leather.

For the common stuff, read up on people fixing old leather boots and stuff.

I am sure you could send the whole coat out for a "redye" or however that would get spelled but overall it is one of those things where I would look at it as an old pair of boots that needs some work.

Not sure I would get out the black shoe polish, but after some reading I very well might.

Seen folks at work scuff up their boots on concrete, kneeling down and dragging the toe and what not, and just find a black permanent marker and color it black.  Once they get around to messing with the boots properly at home it helps it blend in better.

People can restore ancient leather seats in valuable old cars.  You have a leather jacket, a drycleaner more than likely has someone or someplace he can send it out to for repairs and recoloring and what not, but I doubt I would spend the money on it.

Also consider all the people who make leather belts and holsters and stuff, they have to color it and treat it and take care of it as well.

Read up on your options.  There are many options.  Part of it will depend on how much you want to spend money and/or timewise on it.  The other part is what you want as a finished product.

Someone posted some leather care products easier, there are all sorts of things at amazon or anywhere if you go look.  At wally world stop in their shoe section and take a gander at the shoe/boot care center.  It has everything from shoo goo glue or whatever it is called to shoe polish to water proofer and leather cleaner and other stuff as well I expect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top