BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have three Milt Sparks holsters.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the way leather LOOKS, and once broken it, it feels nice, too.

But....it soaks up sweat like all get out.   Here in AZ, sweat is a way of life about 1/2 the year, and any leather I own(ed) started getting soggy, and then became a sweat soaked sponge against the pistol.

Kydex for me, please.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a metric buttload of leather OWB holsters,pocket holsters and one chest holster.

Favorites in no particular order:

OWB
TT Gunleather (multiples)
Warbird Gunleather (multiples)
Galco Combat master (multiples)
Boomstick holsters
Versacarry
1791 Gunleather

Simply Rugged chest rig
Simply Rugged pocket holster

And a few that suck:
Desantis OWB
Desantis pocket holster
Galco stinger
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What grips are those?
View Quote
I can't remember who made them. I bought them off an auction site a few years ago. ??
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with OP I do.

Nylon sucks balls, kydex is , meh.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats pretty much the same style as the POS on the far right in my OP. The leather is to flimsy and with wear stretches, which makes the holster pretty much worthless.

The other problem was the owner of that probably used saddle soap or leather balm and that also makes it very pliable.

The 1791's and most of the others you see posted all have reinforcement and are made of thicker leather. The Wild Bills holster on the far right, was a POS and had I remembered that was the same maker as the J frame one I got, I would have passed. The J frame has held up better but I also don't wear it daily.

I really need to find a nice holster to replace that POS Wild Bill one I have my Sig in. I may be checking out some of the ones posted, as there are some great looking holsters here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Mitch Rosen EXP for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes only period-correct leather will do . . .

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer leather and I roll my own. This is one I made some time ago from horsehide.

Attachment Attached File

One more-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Mitchell Rosen, Mark Garrity, Josh Bulman, Lou Alessi and Kramer.  Mostly when I carried 1911's, Hi-Powers and round guns.  Now that it's almost always Glocks, it's usually kydex.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Only have one leather holster but I really like it. Barber Learherworks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Leather cannot be beat.  El Paso, Milt Sparks, Galco or Kirkpatrick's

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone make light bearing leather OWB holsters? I’m aware of the mean gene version, but looking for something more classically styled.
View Quote
Galco makes one for Glocks and Sig 220-series pistols. Blackhills leather makes one, as well. Very similar.

Aker has them for glocks.

Nightingale makes custom rigs, but they're expensive. Like $200+ expensive.

Bianchi Reveal 140 is what I've got, cheap and comfortable, but hard to come by sometimes. Optics planet is the only place that carries the reveal for a 92A1 with a light... And we all loathe OP for their shady practices. Ordering through amazon helps, IME.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
One of mine, the one that gets used the most so it's not nice and shiny....

Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Milt Sparks Summer Special if you can handle the wait
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My favorite is a Versacarry, very thick. Made from Water Buffalo hide.
View Quote
Love mine as well.  Holding up very well, OWB DW Vigil commander.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have some stingray and beaver tail leather I'm itching to use on a holster and watchband.

For the poster who said leather wouldn't stand up in the conditions you work in...
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
OP’s holsters sure are purdy.
And then, there’s what I carry (there’s a strip of leather) . . .

Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the way leather LOOKS, and once broken it, it feels nice, too.

But....it soaks up sweat like all get out.   Here in AZ, sweat is a way of life about 1/2 the year, and any leather I own(ed) started getting soggy, and then became a sweat soaked sponge against the pistol.

Kydex for me, please.
View Quote
Neatsfoot oil followed by a Resolene application solves that, if the holster hasn't already been treated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Leather is the most comfortable,  and don't forget a real gun belt, too.

Relentless Tactical Holster
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Galco is junk
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I use and like both leather and kydex.

OP, respectfully, I hope you mount some lights on those pistols.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Wilson Summer Companion, elephant hide.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Get both.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys complaining of soggy or rotting leather should try horsehide.

I have a Ryan Grizzle summer special clone in horsehide for my g19 that spent years at sea.

I also have a kramer horsehide scabbard for my redhawk thats gone swimming a few times

Both still work like new.

Im wearing this Ryan Grizzle horsehide holster right know
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who makes the Cz75B holster?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
 Guess I've been really lucky. I've got 4 Galco Combat masters that have held up perfectly, One is 10 years old or so and the newest I've had about 6 months.  They're not in the same league as my TT Gunleather or Warbird holsters but they've been great for what I paid.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Privateer Leather

He makes great stuff, it's gorgeous too.
View Quote
Wow those look nice
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow those look nice
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Privateer Leather

He makes great stuff, it's gorgeous too.
Wow those look nice
My wife has one for her 2" M15. Very well made.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a HighNoon holster for my G19 that'd I wont wear.  
Its bulkier than Kydex, more uncomfortable than kydex...  Honestly cant think of one redeming quality other than its really well made.

Now I have a Tier1 Concealment for the 19 and a DSG for the 43 and couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That’s one of my three.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Leather only, here. Mainly older H.H. Heiser and George Lawrence.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Galco is junk
View All Quotes
No kidding, get a quality leather holster and you won't have that issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Vast majority of my holsters are leather.  Just don't like kydex.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Kydex for my Shield , leather for the 1911s . Have a Galco which is alright  , recently had Paul @ Warbird Leather build me a custom leather and Ostrich trim . For my Nighthawk,  Beautiful holster . Going to get on the wait list @ Bitterroot GunLeather
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I have some of each. I prefer leather all in all. Tagua makes some no frills yet solid stuff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I typically had my shoulder harnesses made at the local leather tack shop. Inexpensive and handmade out of quality leather.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I love the feel and look of a leather holster. Have bought from many makers, but Milt Sparks got most of my business. My only complaint is the effort it took to present the pistol. Retention was no problem, but my draw was too slow for self defense.  I resisted kydex because it seems hard on the pistols, and just seemed cheap.

I found a holster maker that makes leather lined kydex holsters, Garrett at giholstersdot com. They seem to be the best of both worlds, with the advantages of both leather and kydex with few of the disadvantages.  I carry OWB with the STX model and couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been carrying this rig daily for several years. You merely have to clean and maintain your leather holster to prevent it's degradation.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to carry Milt Spark Summer Special II holsters and also used them in IDPA competition for years but got tired of having to replace a hundred dollar holster after every summer. My sweaty ass would turn them black.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I used to carry Milt Spark Summer Special II holsters and also used them in IDPA competition for years but got tired of having to replace a hundred dollar holster after every summer. My sweaty ass would turn them black.
View Quote
You gotta seal the leather to keep the sweat from being absorbed.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#45]
You make a really fine looking holster, I particularly like the groove cut for the grip. I would pay top dollar for one like that

Quoted:

I use and like both leather and kydex.

OP, respectfully, I hope you mount some lights on those pistols.
View Quote
@Doug_Masters

I plan on getting some soonish, The Sig has incredible night sights on it so that's my nightstand gun. The Glocks are fading but work and the Shield has standard dots, so I plan on upgrading those eventually. My biggest focus right now is getting all the guns and mags I could ever potentially want as VA has gone full retard. And being a poor has not helped that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have a Ryan Grizzle summer special clone in horsehide for my g19 that spent years at sea.

I also have a kramer horsehide scabbard for my redhawk thats gone swimming a few times

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191212_143131_jpg-1193077.JPG
View Quote
It is a simple as this, in my situation, leather will absorb sweat and will never dry out if carried daily, it will hold that moisture against the gun causing rust and the eventual rotting of the leather. Being at sea for years is different than being in the sea for years. Getting wet a few times then being allowed to dry is different than being soaked in it everyday.
My CompTac CTAC is 15 years old the the leather tabs have been replaced several time due to rot, I have to use stainless hardware otherwise it rust away.

And besides that I don't want a thick leather holster stuffed in my waist band, I don't want to buy special pants because my carry setup is so damn thick. For OWB I can see using leather and it would last longer but would still rather use kydex because of thinness, ease of modifying, retention systems and expense. Leather looks great but I couldn't care less, appearance is a useless feature.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
steel guns get leather. Plastic guns get plastic.

I'll add the custom leather guy from 1911 forum (ColtHamerless) as he makes stuff as nice as VM but less money.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It is a simple as this, in my situation, leather will absorb sweat and will never dry out if carried daily, it will hold that moisture against the gun causing rust and the eventual rotting of the leather. Being at sea for years is different than being in the sea for years. Getting wet a few times then being allowed to dry is different than being soaked in it everyday.
My CompTac CTAC is 15 years old the the leather tabs have been replaced several time due to rot, I have to use stainless hardware otherwise it rust away.

And besides that I don't want a thick leather holster stuffed in my waist band, I don't want to buy special pants because my carry setup is so damn thick. For OWB I can see using leather and it would last longer but would still rather use kydex because of thinness, ease of modifying, retention systems and expense. Leather looks great but I couldn't care less, appearance is a useless feature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20191212_143131_jpg-1193077.JPG

I use kydex as well for aiwb and probably carry kydex as a whole more.

Id still recommend horsehide. It is thinner than cowhide, stiffer, and doesnt absorb moisture like it either. Its not about looks. I recomended it for comfort and longer lifespan than kydex as it wont crack.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#49]
My Glocks get kydex, but all of my 1911 and revolver holsters are leather.  I like Milt Sparks and El Paso Saddlery.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You make a really fine looking holster, I particularly like the groove cut for the grip. I would pay top dollar for one like that
View Quote
Thank you
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top