Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I love when people put a giant wing on the back of a front wheel drive car. They must feel real cool!

I have seen this posted so many times.  So, the rear wing on the back of the FWD cars in the Speed Touring Car and GrandAm Cup races are just for show.  You still want to have you rear wheels planted as much as you can even on a FWD car.

By that logic, there is no reason for a splitter/air dam on the front of a RWD car.

As for the rest of this, I have seen Suburbans, Firebirds, Camaros, full size Chevy and Ford pickups, and countless other American "hot rods" riced out.  Do you make fun of them as well?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As for the rest of this, I have seen Suburbans, Firebirds, Camaros, full size Chevy and Ford pickups, and countless other American "hot rods" riced out.  Do you make fun of them as well?

Yea normally.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I just hate the "angry bumblebee" exhaust.

And the cranked-up black music.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

One day I want a lounder exhaust, something along the lines of just headers.

Last time I had that music next to me I cranked up the most annoying CD I could find in the car, and that was gwar.

I need some bagpipes on CD
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love when people put a giant wing on the back of a front wheel drive car. They must feel real cool!

I have seen this posted so many times.  So, the rear wing on the back of the FWD cars in the Speed Touring Car and GrandAm Cup races are just for show.  You still want to have you rear wheels planted as much as you can even on a FWD car.

By that logic, there is no reason for a splitter/air dam on the front of a RWD car.

Yes, as said earlier, anything in poor taste done to a car is considered rice in my book, it doesn't matter the country of origin of the car.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last time I had that music next to me I cranked up the most annoying CD I could find in the car, and that was gwar.

I like Skynyrd and Metallica.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess my WRX is rice?

No, it isn't rice. Rice isn't japanese/american/european, it is the silly bullshit people do to their cars to try and make them LOOK fast.

Like putting stickers all over your car like "R" type or "S" type or "Powered by Honda", that shit is rice. Or putting a huge wing on a car that can't go over 90mph and the wing only slows them down. Or putting a glue on hood scoop on a car or truck, all that is rice. It is just a term that was derived from Japanese cars because the tuner crowd started it.

Cars were getting non functioning scoops, wings and all kinds of other useless crap long before Japanese cars had made much of an impact on the US car market at all.  The recent trends are definately dominated by Japanese cars though. I actually think that this stuff is ridiculous looking, but I am not about to go around acting like I am better or smarter than the people who choose to buy and install these parts. I am in the process of rebuilding a 1974 Maverick four door, people have asked me why would I bother working on such a POS, and I just remind them that I have not asked for thier help working on it or driving it. I realize it is a slow, ugly grocery getter, but I like it, and that is enough for me.

No kidding - my 73 Mach 1 has factory hood scoops, but is not set up for the ram air induction they are designed for (It was a factory option with the Mach 1, not standard).

However, that is pretty different from putting on a fake hood scope afterwards!  (Plus, if I wanted, I coudl install the ram air option if I wanted._
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm old school, anytime I hear any of those soupcan mufflers on a 4 or six cylinder I just laugh.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ETA: What I find silly is people who buy and customize insanely expensive trucks and never take them off road

+1.  I laugh my ass off when I see 4x4 pickups lowered like crazy with little wire rims.  That's gay.

my Noen has been up mountains that would scare the crap out of the average 4X4 SUV owner (and I have the bills from torn up exhaust pipes to prove it).

+1;  the Dodge engineers would have a fit if they saw the places I've gone with my Neon.  It's 5% skill and 95% will.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a peice of rebar, stick it in thier spoke wheels so it will catch on the frame
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I love it.  When I drive my 1931 Ford without a hood, the ricers stay away and don't play.  A shiney 350 chevy hangs out of the hood in front of a 700R-4 trans, B&M pro-stick controlled.  

Those damn ricers sound worse than my chainsaw, quite comparable to my leaf blower.

OMG!!!! You have opened Pandora's box. (Or Mr. Fords) The gates of hell have been sprung. The sky is falling. The sun has risen in the west. You hear that Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you honey: with a bowtie under the hood (Fred Sanford). A fucking Chevy in a Ford. Is that where the saying" I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy came from"?  Just messin' with you man.  
The purist shit rat motors over that kind of stuff you know. I love old trucks of any kind, although I am partial to Fords.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.flagpull.com/free/evo.jpg

and it does actually have more torque than hp. Rap has never come out of it's speakers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No, it isn't rice. Rice isn't japanese/american/european, it is the silly bullshit people do to their cars to try and make them LOOK fast.

Like putting stickers all over your car like "R" type or "S" type or "Powered by Honda", that shit is rice. Or putting a huge wing on a car that can't go over 90mph and the wing only slows them down. Or putting a glue on hood scoop on a car or truck, all that is rice. It is just a term that was derived from Japanese cars because the tuner crowd started it.

That's the bottom line. Hell I'd hotrod a riding mower just to get it to go faster. But you hit the nail on the head. My nephew was over one day and don't know antifreeze from airfilters and was always talking about NOS (not nitrous) on his shitty Nissan Sentra along with a header, fart pipe, or whatever else was in the newest  issue of  How to look like a dipshit. I knew he just bought a new 2004 Mustang with the v-6 I was making fun of a neighbors econo-shitbox, and my wife was standing behind him shaking her head trying to tell me no,no, no.  He kind of put his head down and got quiet. So I open the door to see his new stang'. Lowered 2", ugly ass wheels that looked like pointers sticking out the wheel lips, ground effects, and a big assed wing that would make Delta airlines engineers prouder than a mother fucker. Shit, I think he felt disowned. So did I with that ghetto monster car. The first time I saw a wing it was called a spoiler, on a dragster. They are used to force down pressure on the rear tires to prevent the tires spinning at high speed. Not weight the rear to keep the bass from causing the rear of the car the jump while cruisin Dennys.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I am not a "ricer" even though I am oriental, and drive a Nissan. But all these jackasses that have more money than brains and spend it on pointless modifications to their vehicles that destroy the value and cause tons of premature wear and failure DRIVE ME NUTS. I was smart enough to buy a car that had all I wanted from the factory. My 240SX is a 4 banger, but is rear wheel drive, full independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, and out handles most sports cars out now. Not the fastest, but so what.

A Hyundai is not a race/performance vehicle. You can polish a dog turd all you want, it gets shiny, but is still a dog turd.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The first time I saw a wing it was called a spoiler, on a dragster. They are used to force down pressure on the rear tires to prevent the tires spinning at high speed. Not weight the rear to keep the bass from causing the rear of the car the jump while cruisin Dennys.

Classic
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I tell kiddies that at work all the time , "You can spend thousands of dollars to make your 4 banger act like a V-8 or you could just buy a REAL V-8 in the first place!" DUH!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember you got to put the Subs in it, so it goes faster.

It goes faster becuase you belive it will go faster.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My 240SX is a 4 banger, but is rear wheel drive, full independent suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, and out handles most sports cars out now. Not the fastest, but so what.

Thats a nice car, even though it doesn't sport 6 or more cylinders .  Even has a chain-driven cam.

We could use more RWD cars like this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A guy in my old cricket team bought a car and stuck some racing stickers on it and sold it for about 2000 more...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Heard and saw a lowered rice rocket wind up (weeeeaaaaaaaannnggg)and come down the ramp at the parking structure.  14 mph signs all over the place.  Speed bump ahead signs, stop sign ahead signs, stop sign at the bottom before merging.  85% of the car went through the Stop sign, (aaaang, kerrrash, silence) the other 15% was at the speed bump or between it and the Stop sign.  Hitting speed bumps at 40-50 mph does wonders for your undercarriage and exhaust system.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have my own solution. It’s called an air horn. I did it one time while at a stop light and this dumb ass got out of his car and started looking underneath it. As though some part of his car were capable of such a noise. I wasn’t trying to hide until I realized he thought he did it, and then I just fought to keep a straight face until the light turned green. It’s been game on ever since. I get some classic looks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#24]
If you own a ricer I think your car looks dumb. It’s your car so my opinion doesn’t mater. Make your self happy and do what you want to your car. You should do whatever you want as long as it dose not hurt anyone else.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s a hand held air horn so when I point it out the window they know where it came from and what I‘m doing. Most of the people around me in traffic seem to be equally annoyed when they can’t here there own radio over someone else’s
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
People who put thirty pounds of useless tactical gear on their ARs are dinguses too, if that makes the resident ricers feel any better.

Me, I just wanna get an old Dodge convertible and tune the hell out of it.

Cars were so much better in the 60s and 70s. And I say that not having even been born then!

+1

I always wanted a 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger, "slightly" modified with a supercharged dual 950cfm carb 528 Hemi attached to a 6-speed manual, and easily swapped out rear ends.  One for the strip, one for top speed.

On the other hand, it would be much easier to get ahold of a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am Special Edition (think Smokey & the Bandit) and throw 15k at it for a better than showroom classic throwing out a modest 400hp.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
ETA: What I find silly is people who buy and customize insanely expensive trucks and never take them off road

+1.  I laugh my ass off when I see 4x4 pickups lowered like crazy with little wire rims.  That's gay.

my Noen has been up mountains that would scare the crap out of the average 4X4 SUV owner (and I have the bills from torn up exhaust pipes to prove it).

+1;  the Dodge engineers would have a fit if they saw the places I've gone with my Neon.  It's 5% skill and 95% will.

I had a 1983 Buick Electra (think land yacht) that friends dubbed "The Baja Buick" because of the crazy shit I did.  I miss that car.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:58:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I always wanted a 1969 Dodge Daytona Charger, "slightly" modified with a supercharged dual 950cfm carb 528 Hemi attached to a 6-speed manual, and easily swapped out rear ends.  One for the strip, one for top speed.

On the other hand, it would be much easier to get ahold of a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am Special Edition (think Smokey & the Bandit) and throw 15k at it for a better than showroom classic throwing out a modest 400hp.  

Id like the Daytona/Charger, I got a 78 Trans Am sitting  in the yard I need to do something with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#31]
There is no replacement for displacement!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So it is OK for you to annoy the hell out of others with an airhorn, but it is wring to use a loud stereo to do it? I don't care for either, but I can't see where I would be happy to hear either. When I am trying to drive in traffic the last thing I need is to be distracted by a pair of idiots trying to outdo each other, but you don't care about that, so long as you feel some degree of satisfaction, it is OK to bug the piss out of somebody. I am glad you are so thoughtful that you take it upon yourself to prove to the world that teenagers with big mufflers and subwoofers are not the dumbest people on the road.

I guess you are just a better man than me. I'll just shut up and leave you in charge. Please guide me tell me how to be and how I should live my life. Its funnie lighten up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a 1983 Buick Electra (think land yacht) that friends dubbed "The Baja Buick" because of the crazy shit I did.  I miss that car.

I remember those Electras, I have a huge grin on my face just imagining one of those boats in the desert!

Was yours gutless too, until you got up to about 60?  Mine didnt catch its first wind till about 40.  I do recall that it got 10mpg, wether I did 30mph or 130mph.  That thing acted like it was out for a good jog at 120mph.  That is what 2.65 gears will do.  It got its "Baja" moniker from doing 60 on dirt roads without phasing it.  It rattled a bit, but it was quite comfy in comparison.  Especially with those "Pillow Top" seats.  Friends wanted to go on road trips in it because of the comfort, but it came at a high price with gas and all.  Reliable SOB too, until that goddamned tranny died.

I am gonna start crying here in a little bit if I dont stop reminiscing. *sniff*
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:22:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There is no replacement for displacement!

Theres a Lightning in my driveway that says otherwise
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember those Electras, I have a huge grin on my face just imagining one of those boats in the desert!

Was yours gutless too, until you got up to about 60?  Mine didnt catch its first wind till about 40.  I do recall that it got 10mpg, wether I did 30mph or 130mph.  That thing acted like it was out for a good jog at 120mph.  That is what 2.65 gears will do.  It got its "Baja" moniker from doing 60 on dirt roads without phasing it.  It rattled a bit, but it was quite comfy in comparison.  Especially with those "Pillow Top" seats.  Friends wanted to go on road trips in it because of the comfort, but it came at a high price with gas and all.  Reliable SOB too, until that goddamned tranny died.

I am gonna start crying here in a little bit if I dont stop reminiscing. *sniff*

1976 Buick Estate Wagon.  buicks.net/show_and_shine/woodgrainwagon/

455 cubic inch V8.  We used to eat v6 Camaros for lunch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Id like the Daytona/Charger, I got a 78 Trans Am sitting  in the yard I need to do something with.

Hmmm...I have a 400ci Pontiac Ram Air III, and a tricked out 455 sitting in a storage shed, without a set of wheels under them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I drive a mazda 626, it looks and sounds normal.

Instead of rap music though, I usually listen to Metallica or Slayer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow, 4 pages and Bubb Rubb hasn't showed up yet.

IMHO, there is more style and beauty in a "typical" hot rod or muscle car than in these frankencars.

Take a heap from your local used Toyota dealer, Get Maaco, and glue on a bunch of plastic and stickers to give the illusion of performance, on a car which never had good lines.  That's lame.

Take a heap from the junkyard, carefully restore it to its original look, and carefully choose modern components to give improved performance without losing the classic lines.  That I like.

ETA: I drive a '93 Buick Skylark, and Mrs B drives an '01 Suzuki Grand Vitara Chevy Tracker.  All stock (unless you count a reflective red pinstripe on the dull gray Buick, and removing and not replacing damaged carpet from same Buick).

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Heeheeheeheehee...

Somebody drove past in a Kia something-or-other with a hood scoop and a bigass wing, blasting rap.

Even though they may be dinguses, it should be their right to be a dingus.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I have much respect for the real deal, but the posers outnumber them about 95 to one. For every 800HP Toyota Supra, there is hundreds of Honda/Kia/Accuras with wings, rims, and a body kit.

My rough "ricer" test: Look at the rear wheels. Drum brakes=RICER

When I grow up, I will have a 200+ horse 1969 VW Bug.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Want to know the mentality of people driving ricers?  They pull up to me when I street my drag car occasionally wanting to race:

Now mind you, this thing runs 10's, SOUNDS like it runs 10s, and you would not mistake this for a stock Mustang.  And still they think they're faster.  Unbelievable.  

I stopped racing them after smoking 3 or 4 of them.  If I'm gonna risk getting a ticket on the street for using more than 1/4 of the throttle pedal, I'm not going to do it trying to beat some 18 second grocery getter.

I hear the arguement all the time that ricers today are just the gearheads of yesterday.  Well, they both work on cars, but that's where it ends.  Ricers take a base model cheap economy car and bolt a bunch of cosmetic shit on and stick a bunch of stickers on the car to pretend it's fast.  Gearheads in my day tried to make cars fast without calling any attention to themselves.  

Hell I owned a Buick stationwagon in high school that would run high 13's.  And it looked like a stock car.  Now that was cool.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I have seen around here a lot of attitude toward import drivers, and 'tuners'...and of course 'ricers'.   They are NOT all the same thing.  

Sure, having a car with a huge V8 would be nice, but some of us just don't want the huge vehicles and the thirsty gas requirements that go along with them.  

In pure power and speed, sure, lots of American muscle cars simply PWN!  I love classic hot rods.  I saw a beautiful 68 Camaro that just made me want to nut in my pants.  I just can't afford something like that.   But being an import driver, and having done a little 'tuning', I will never disrespect American muscle.   I know my car, without some serious and rediculous amount of $$, will never compete with muscle cars.  I don't want it to.  My car does what I need it to, it does it well, and it does look nice.  

Being that I drive an import, and have actually done a few things to it, I can tell you, there is a difference between doing some mods to get better performance, and better looks, and 'ricing out' a car.   I participate on a car forum that caters to my particular car, and almost every member there DETESTS 'rice'.  We consider 'rice' to be useless, overly flashy, completely stupid things that do not increase the worth of the car (either aesthetically or performance wise).  Silly ass wings, fart can mufflers, vinyl, tacky unpainted body kits, stickers for products not actually under the hood... the list could go on and on.  

Putting an intake, some headers and a nice catback exhaust on your car is not rice.  (as long as it ends up sounding nice, not all raspy and buzzy)  Putting a fartcan muffler on, and bombing around like you're the shiznit IS rice.  

'Rice' is really subjective.  But really, there's a difference between making an import car a little better, and making it horrible and gaudy.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Heh.
I probably should have stayed out of this, but eh.

My brother has a so-called-"ricer", a 95 Integra.  
Although it is going to get the body kit, and a Carbon Fiber hood eventually, It looks stock now.  But under the body panels it aint.  
We rebuilt the engine, exhaust, and suspension.  It has around 240 horsepower and around 180 ft-lbs of torque.  He was tired of all those ricers who were all show-no go.  And he wanted to exploit that.  So, over the course of a winter we tore the thing apart and rebuilt it.  We added a new exhaust from the ports on back, (using aftermarket headers, mufflers, and fabricating everything else) The engine was rebuilt, using a cold air intake, a new wiring harness, and various other parts.  Eventually he wants to add a turbosupercharger we have, but it needs to be rebuilt first.  (we scavenge parts from junkyards for modifications, the turbo unit was on an european import that we found for $30)  The suspension was rebuilt using a bunch of different parts, new, scavenged, and custom made.    

It may not be as fast as a V8 'vette or pony, but it is fun as hell to drive nonetheless.  (But is does handle better than either one of those V8 sportsters.)  Plus it was fun to work on something with my brother.  Don't get to do that too much anymore.  

As for me, I am trying to figure out how to put a 454 I found into my 96 Blazer after I rebuild it (the motor).  I think* it is possible.  But I would definatly need a new tranny and a beefed up suspension.   Hmm. . . .    

EDIT: * = famous last words. . . .
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
f'n losers!

you can buy a BMW off the showroom floor for the same money, OR LESS... and it's got class and can do the speed w/o any problems.

Yeah, but then your stuck with a gay BMW.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#50]

turbosupercharger

You know what I meant.  Been studing piston aircraft engines for a couple hours for hw.  (aint Aeronautical Engineering a great major?)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top