User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, they said in the video the mass of the water behind the dam actually slowed down the earth's rotation by a fraction of a second.
View Quote

So when it fails and all of that mass RAPIDLY moves to a lower altitude, is the earth going to quickly speed up its rotation and fling us all into space?  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My driver in China says, "Life is cheap in China"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
History or Discovery channel had a great documentary on it. A lot of historical sites were covered by the lake. Archeologists tried to save as much as possible but there wasn't time. I also believe the dam is built on or near a fault line that concerned some experts. The Chinese of course didn't care about the history lost or the fault line.

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing to do anything?

As it was in america at one point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]

"Now are there any Dam questions?"  
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that'll be a great target for a handful of JDAMs if we ever have to fight them.
View Quote

Ever read about the last use of aerial torpedos in combat?

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Upstream, also has some problems.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9K82ZVdMA&sns=em
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only knowledge is I wouldn't want to be downstream of "the largest dam in the world" built by China.  

EDIT: That elevator/lift for passenger boats is huge!

I doubt that it will collapse. I consider Chinese engineering to be rivalled by that found in Somalian mud huts, but the dam is essentially a huge rock. As long as they let the concrete set, it isn't going anywhere. The means to build it aren't all that complex. We managed it in the 1930s at the Hoover Dam.

The engineer's concern about the changing water level may be more than it deserves. Thirty meter reservoir fluctuations are huge. They destabilize the hillsides and the area already has landslide problems. This caused disasters in the past. The Vajont Dam in Italy is the obvious example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam

There are some important differences. The volume of the Italian reservoir was 4,000,000,000 m3*. The volume of the Three Gorges reservoir is ten times that. The hillside that collapsed into Lago del Vajont was right next to the dam. The landslide made a 250' wave over the top of the dam. The high hills at Three Gorges are several kilometers away from the dam. The extra volume of the reservoir will also absorb energy from a wave created by a landslide. You have to look at the pictures of the Vajont disaster to appreciate what happened.

I have no faith in the ability of China to build anything. They don't get it. I think the site will experience significant landslides, but, rather than causing a lethal flood, they'll wreck the generating capacity somehow and China will find itself owning a very expensive chunk of cement.

* http://basementgeographer.com/the-vajont-dam-disaster/
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So, who are they going to nuke when the fault line its build on starts to roll and it fails? Themselves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some estimates place the loss of life at 100 million if that puppy pops.

That's not something a president would order casually.

China has also made it clear that any attack on the damn will warrant a nuclear response.

So, who are they going to nuke when the fault line its build on starts to roll and it fails? Themselves?

Well they could own up to their mistake and assign blame to themselves as the government.

Or they could protect communism by blaming someone else for an insidious attack and nuke them to deflect blame.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad thing is that the PRC is building similar dams in Laos on the Mekong.

The Vietnamese are justifiably pissed over it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

China stated any attack on the dam, will result in them using nukes..
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

China has also made it clear that any attack on the damn will warrant a nuclear response.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given reports of cracks and voids discovered in that structure while under construction, plus the geologic fault lines near an underneath the thing, there is no need to target that place.  Nature is going to handle getting rid of it, probably before it gets as old as Hoover Dam is today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well they could own up to their mistake and assign blame to themselves as the government.

Or they could protect communism by blaming someone else for an insidious attack and nuke them to deflect blame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably the Japanese.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.tropasearmas.xpg.com.br/ad-4-art-korea-dam-adpainting3_02_05.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to leave us hanging.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
My parents took a riverboat trip there right before they built the dam. They took many pictures of villages that are now underwater.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt that it will collapse. I consider Chinese engineering to be rivalled by that found in Somalian mud huts, but the dam is essentially a huge rock. As long as they let the concrete set, it isn't going anywhere. The means to build it aren't all that complex. We managed it in the 1930s at the Hoover Dam.

The engineer's concern about the changing water level may be more than it deserves. Thirty meter reservoir fluctuations are huge. They destabilize the hillsides and the area already has landslide problems. This caused disasters in the past. The Vajont Dam in Italy is the obvious example.

There are some important differences. The volume of the Italian reservoir was 4,000,000,000 m3*. The volume of the Three Gorges reservoir is ten times that. The hillside that collapsed into Lago del Vajont was right next to the dam. The landslide made a 250' wave over the top of the dam. The high hills at Three Gorges are several kilometers away from the dam. The extra volume of the reservoir will also absorb energy from a wave created by a landslide. You have to look at the pictures of the Vajont disaster to appreciate what happened.

I have no faith in the ability of China to build anything. They don't get it. I think the site will experience significant landslides, but, rather than causing a lethal flood, they'll wreck the generating capacity somehow and China will find itself owning a very expensive chunk of cement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only knowledge is I wouldn't want to be downstream of "the largest dam in the world" built by China.  

EDIT: That elevator/lift for passenger boats is huge!  

The main dam may be concrete, but the South Dam is an earth filled structure and there are reports of meters long cracks that investigators looked into and saw that the fill had been washed away.  That is the part most likely to fail and if the lake empties around the main dam and floods the power house from downstream, it would almost as bad as losing the main structure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't JDAM the damned dam.

JDAM the damned fault line that the damned dam sits upon, dammit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Way to leave us hanging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to leave us hanging.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/skyraiders-torpedo-the-hwachon-dam/
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
History or Discovery channel had a great documentary on it. A lot of historical sites were covered by the lake. Archeologists tried to save as much as possible but there wasn't time. I also believe the dam is built on or near a fault line that concerned some experts. The Chinese of course didn't care about the history lost or the fault line.
View Quote

Saw that one, it was interesting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the ROCs contingency plans in the event of a mainland attack is rumored to involve a one-way dambusting mission by F-16s.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow, they said in the video the mass of the water behind the dam actually slowed down the earth's rotation by a fraction of a second.
View Quote

I did that when I took a piss this morning
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#21]
How long does it take all that concrete to cure 100%?

Honestly, I think it will blow. Too many factors working against it -- fault lines, pressures, earth-filled at points, Chinese engineering (get it done and deal with it later mindset).

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was a really interesting show.  They basically rebuilt entire villages and booted people out.  

On the history aspect, can't fault them.  Balance between the past and the future.  And we're not exempt from such actions (TVA).
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
tldw I heard it changed the length of the day or affected our axis or someshit though
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sad thing is that the PRC is building similar dams in Laos on the Mekong.

The Vietnamese are justifiably pissed over it.
View Quote

Yup, I was gonna add this.  Chinese imperialism is at it full speed.  The Mekong through Laos used to be considered (seasonably) navigable.  Not anymore.  I saw stranded and junked ships all up and down the thing.  

Everyone in the villages blames the Chinese.

cheers,

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been there.

It is a huge dam.  Biblical even. A God dam.

It is bigger than  Monaco, so big it is a dam nation.

And the dam water is so polluted it wears the turbines out really fast. I mean there is dam age happening.

But downstream people have insurance against a catastrophic failure. It is indamnification.

In truth, it is so large it is hard to grasp just how big it is.  The 135' river cruise ship we were on went through the ship lift with seven other vessels.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Apparently there were a lot of very old towns that were destroyed and
China just told the residents, "too bad, get out or we will remove you."
View Quote
"how long can you tread water"

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
From what I know there were some grossly poor estimations on sediment buildup on the dam, and it is becoming an ever growing problem.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can they do anything right or is their sole positive characteristic having cheap idiotic laborers willing to do anything?

I actually equate China to 1900-1930's US as far as industrial revolution.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Honestly, I think it will blow. Too many factors working against it -- fault lines, pressures, earth-filled at points, Chinese engineering (get it done and deal with it later mindset).

View Quote

Siting yet another documentary from TV...

I watched a show about the Hoover dam, and they said even to this day the concrete is still curing. Technically, the Hoover dam gets stronger by the minute.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

its not curved so it is just a matter of time before is shears away and "floods" CA
View Quote

Not necessarily.  Some dams are so big they act like a giant rock and hold the water back that way.  They don't have to be curved.

Most Columbia River dams are the same design as this one.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Their government would probably welcome it. 100 million less mouths to feed.

ETA Not the failure of the dam, but the human loss of life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think any engineer could say when it will fail.  But I think nearly every engineer agrees- given our observations of design choices, construction choices, construction quality, etc- that it will certainly fail. And THAT is going to be one major disaster for China.

Their government would probably welcome it. 100 million less mouths to feed.

ETA Not the failure of the dam, but the human loss of life.

I don't think so; it's upstream from some of their wealthiest cities.  They'd be bankrupt if that thing popped.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I watched a show about the Hoover dam, and they said even to this day the concrete is still curing. Technically, the Hoover dam gets stronger by the minute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went on the "engineering tour" of the Hoover Dam before they closed that down.  It took you literally inside the dam.  During the tour, they said that deep inside the cured concrete, the uncured concrete has the consistency of cookie dough.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where can I get some damn bait?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top