Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

I would also avoid the 2-stage trigger.. if you want one you can always add one later, and its unnecessary on a battle carbine.

What exactly do you mean??? because yes Im making a carbine with battle conditions in mind when I think of its purpose... so the 2 stage is'nt worth it??? I'd just hate to want it later and have wasted money on the regular up front.

Appreciate the input though

You are looking to fight with it, not win Camp Perry matches, right? The standard trigger group will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

I would also avoid the 2-stage trigger.. if you want one you can always add one later, and its unnecessary on a battle carbine.

What exactly do you mean??? because yes Im making a carbine with battle conditions in mind when I think of its purpose... so the 2 stage is'nt worth it??? I'd just hate to want it later and have wasted money on the regular up front.

Appreciate the input though

You are looking to fight with it, not win Camp Perry matches, right? The standard trigger group will be fine.

True...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Only thing now is... im deciding on the Standard LMT bolt... or getting a Young Chrome Carrier with a BCM Bolt.... I suppose I could always get that later... and consider the standard LMT as Spare parts... or so on... IDK... we'll see
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1

There is nothing wrong with the standard bolt group.

+2
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going with the Enhanced LMT bolt just because I got it at such a great deal!

I have the upper now to mate with the lower but I am waiting on the BCG to make it.

I'll have to start my own thread so I don't hijack yours.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Enhanced bolt is a waste.

The regular bolt works, and there is ZERO difference in accuracy between a regular bolt and a "enhanced", "accurized", or "match" bolt.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Skip the two stage trigger.

Two stage triggers are for varmint/target guns. A 16'' is neither of those.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1.

I would spend the extra money on a quad rail system or BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Only thing now is... im deciding on the Standard LMT bolt... or getting a Young Chrome Carrier with a BCM Bolt.... I suppose I could always get that later... and consider the standard LMT as Spare parts... or so on... IDK... we'll see

No, no, no. The Young's bolt is chromed; that's it. It looks nice, that's the only benefit.

Just buy the LMT upper as is. LMT knows what they are doing, more so than you do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am going with the Enhanced LMT bolt just because I got it at such a great deal!

I have the upper now to mate with the lower but I am waiting on the BCG to make it.

BigDozer66

LOl by all means u can post it here... Because IM going to start a thread when I get mine any way... I'd love to see it bro... HI JACK AWAY!!!

I still may get the enhanced... somebody mentioned logistics something or other being bad but who knows for sure... I actualyl may order a Young Chromed carrier with the Diamond black coating (good shit) corrosion resistance ofr the Chrome... not shiny like chrome though but a glossy black... even less friction then the regular chrome and it is supposed to action smooth as could be... and with the diamond black coat it's got another later of corrosion resistance and supposed to clean easier too... So possibly a young Chrome Diamond Blacked carrier... and a BCM BCG with the Upgraded beefed up extractor and springs...

A real mans gun... with man guts inside
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1.

And make sure it's a free floated fore arm. That's what will give you the accuracy, since when the weapon is fired the barrel heats rapidly. If there is uneven pressure on the barrel (caused by non-free floated handguards), accuracy will suffer. A free floated handguard doesn't touch the barrel, thus it doesn't affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, no, no. The Young's bolt is chromed; that's it. It looks nice, that's the only benefit.

Just buy the LMT upper as is. LMT knows what they are doing, more so than you do.

I'd hope so... I'm buying a rifle from them are'nt I And I did some research on the young carriers they are extremely nice... and not just chromed... I'd get it with the Diamond Black finish so it would'nt even be "chrome and shiny" to the eye... it's not about bling... it's about function... and being smooth... and a Chrome BCG'd Rifle next to a matching rifle using a standard BCG will shoot more rounds before the build up will start to cause function issues and jams... some people have done the side by side shooting...

It's alot of rounds either way... but the Chrome ones Do have less friction and resist the carbon build up more and will function better/longer inbetween cleanings...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

LOl by all means u can post it here... Because IM going to start a thread when I get mine any way... I'd love to see it bro... HI JACK AWAY!!!

I still may get the enhanced... somebody mentioned logistics something or other being bad but who knows for sure... I actualyl may order a Young Chromed carrier with the Diamond black coating (good shit) corrosion resistance ofr the Chrome... not shiny like chrome though but a glossy black... even less friction then the regular chrome and it is supposed to action smooth as could be... and with the diamond black coat it's got another later of corrosion resistance and supposed to clean easier too... So possibly a young Chrome Diamond Blacked carrier... and a BCM BCG with the Upgraded beefed up extractor and springs...

Look, buy the Young's if you want. You aren't gaining an ounce of function. The standard bolt will not corrode, and friction is a non-existent issue.

Do you understand how an AR works? You're throwing away money on sucker-type products (Chrome carriers, "beefed up" extractors)

You don't need a "beefed up extractor". Extra power springs don't hurt, but a stock extractor is fine. Just replace the extractor every 5,000 rounds and you'll never have an issue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1.

And make sure it's a free floated fore arm. That's what will give you the accuracy, since when the weapon is fired the barrel heats rapidly. If there is uneven pressure on the barrel (caused by non-free floated handguards), accuracy will suffer. A free floated handguard doesn't touch the barrel, thus it doesn't affect accuracy.

I know this... I'm deciding on a Troy or maybe saving the money and using a Midwest industries... I Heard those new troy rails (the 2 peice  free floats) only require cutting of the delta ring and clamp right onto the barrel nut and they are as tight as a one piece but without the hassle... So that may be an option
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

+1.

I know this... I'm deciding on a Troy or maybe saving the money and using a Midwest industries... I Heard those new troy rails (the 2 peice  free floats) only require cutting of the delta ring and clamp right onto the barrel nut and they are as tight as a one piece but without the hassle... So that may be an option

Removing the delta ring is easy, there is no reason to cut it off. An armorer's wrench takes it right off. An armorer's wrench is $16, there is no reason not to have one when working on/owning an AR

A two piece will never be as strong as a one piece.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Look, buy the Young's if you want. You aren't gaining an ounce of function. The standard bolt will not corrode, and friction is a non-existent issue.

Do you understand how an AR works? You're throwing away money on sucker-type products (Chrome carriers, "beefed up" extractors)

You don't need a "beefed up extractor". Extra power springs don't hurt, but a stock extractor is fine. Just replace the extractor every 5,000 rounds and you'll never have an issue.

Will do... and I appreciate your input... Since I really only have a couple thousand rounds put through AR's the rest of my shooting is all other weapons...

That'll change once I get this built.... Appreciate the advice though... seriously.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Will do... and I appreciate your input... Since I really only have a couple thousand rounds put through AR's the rest of my shooting is all other weapons...

That'll change once I get this built.... Appreciate the advice though... seriously.

5,000 is extremely conservative, too. I've gone ten thousand before having extraction problems. Some people have gone longer.

I just make it a habit now to make sure there's always a "fresh" extractor in there (i.e. no more than 5,000 rounds). Extractors are $14. I keep one of my AR's as my home defense weapon, and I certainly wouldn't want a jammed up weapon over trying to get every ounce of life out of an extractor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a stock LMT upper. Leave it stock.

Buy the lower you want, with a stock trigger; a two stage or very light one stage is inappropriate for this type of firearm.

Spend the rest on ammo. No optics, yet. Master the irons, push them to their limit as far as range/speed/accuracy is concerned.

Slap an Aimpoint/EOtech/ACOG or whatever floats your boat on the rifle after you have the irons down. Now start pushing for more speed, more accuracy, and at farther ranges with the aid of the optic. Put a BUIS on there if you want, but if it's just a range gun it's not needed.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Buy the lower you want, with a stock trigger; a two stage or very light one stage is inappropriate for this type of firearm.

Spend the rest on ammo. No optics, yet. Master the irons, push them to their limit as far as range/speed/accuracy is concerned.

Slap an Aimpoint/EOtech/ACOG or whatever floats your boat on the rifle after you have the irons down. Now start pushing for more speed, more accuracy, and at farther ranges with the aid of the optic. Put a BUIS on there if you want, but if it's just a range gun it's not needed.

That's the thing... Its in my blood... my buddy comes back from the marines and he cant beleive how well I shoot when we go out... he sais' I shoot better then msot of the people in his platoon... and im not talking benched or just standing taking time... I set up stuff out in this field... and practice some of the drills he showed me... and I move and shot and lay down and crouch and set up for multiple targets and speed and all kinds of stuff... and except for the few thousand in AR i have shot... the rest was Iron sighted on an AK... so the AR just flowed when i shot it...
My father was always a good shot... used to win competitions with his works shooting club (not that those would be real high ranked) but all government guys... and he has nerve damage and can't shoot any more (he would to save his life he still carries) but not regularly... and It's just in my blood... i shoot well damn well... with some more/proper practice.... i'll be good...

and I agree about the extractor... I'll probably change it no more then 5k... maybe 4K... im a freak about function and what not... only person I know who spends 2-4 hours cleaning an AK (I know its rediculous) but my AK's are clean as helll... I could eat ice cream out of them then I'd have to clean them again tho....

What BUIS would you recommend... I was looking at the A.R.M.S #40... but Im sure there is something better out there... (I know there is somethign better) but just trying to find out options...

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on the bushmaster (my buddies but he is in Iraq So I have it for a while till he gets back... he just got deployed there too) and I shoot with that... im experienced with Irons and well into Holo's...
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the thing... Its in my blood... my buddy comes back from the marines and he cant beleive how well I shoot when we go out... he sais' I shoot better then msot of the people in his platoon... and im not talking benched or just standing taking time... I set up stuff out in this field... and practice some of the drills he showed me... and I move and shot and lay down and crouch and set up for multiple targets and speed and all kinds of stuff... and except for the few thousand in AR i have shot... the rest was Iron sighted on an AK... so the AR just flowed when i shot it...
My father was always a good shot... used to win competitions with his works shooting club (not that those would be real high ranked) but all government guys... and he has nerve damage and can't shoot any more (he would to save his life he still carries) but not regularly... and It's just in my blood... i shoot well damn well... with some more/proper practice.... i'll be good...

and I agree about the extractor... I'll probably change it no more then 5k... maybe 4K... im a freak about function and what not... only person I know who spends 2-4 hours cleaning an AK (I know its rediculous) but my AK's are clean as helll... I could eat ice cream out of them then I'd have to clean them again tho....

What BUIS would you recommend... I was looking at the A.R.M.S #40... but Im sure there is something better out there... (I know there is somethign better) but just trying to find out options...

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on the bushmaster (my buddies but he is in Iraq So I have it for a while till he gets back... he just got deployed there too) and I shoot with that... im experienced with Irons and well into Holo's...

My point is not whether or not you know how to use a rifle properly, my point is for you to learn to use it better. If you say you're a crack shot with irons, shoot it faster and at longer distances. Shoot in akward positions in uncomfortable conditions. PUSH the weapon and your skills as far as you can take the combo. After a while, upgrade the weapon, and learn that skill set (optics), and then PUSH those skills and that new weapon harder.

If you're shooting a soda can at 25 yards from offhand, shoot it at 50. If that's easy, shoot it on the move at 50. Shoot it prone at 300 yards. Keep going until you can't see the damn can anymore. Then put an ACOG on there, and start ventilating the can at 400. Pick up a 20'' upper, and start hitting the can at 5,6,7 hundred. Keep pushing until what you are trying to do is not possible with the equipment you have. Don't put the cart before the horse.

As to BUIS, I use an ARMS #40. If I could go back, I would get the #40L, it doesn't have both aperatures or an elevation knob, but it's a lot flatter. I use a YHM flip up front. The only time I've used the BUIS was in competition, where I failed to turn the EOtech on before the stage began. It was faster to flip up the irons then dick with the EOtech. I didn't know why the EOtech wasn't on, so I didn't dick with it (turned out to be operator error, failing to make sure it was turned on).

I prefer a flip up front sight, since the field of view is much better through the optic with the FS out of the way. For a true combat rifle, I'd stick with a fixed sight, though.

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

enhanced bolt is much much easier to clean... but maybe with your upper you might nto have as much fouling.. I like the enhanced bolt alot on mine. I wouldnt waste the money on the trigger as the stock one is ok.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w233/USP_2007/IMG_0043.jpg

Theres nothing that gets really that dirty on the BCG.  All you need is a wipedown with some CLP or your favorite dissolver(brake cleaner) and the shit just washes away.

Is it being just a little easier to clean worth $150?

LMT has two parts..the enhanced Bolt and the Enhanced Carrier Group (which you dont use on SBRs) I have the enhanced Bolt. It makes a major difference having the nickel coating on it for cleaning. With the SBR carbon deposits are a problem.  

5 years in the .mil and never a problem cleaning carbon off the BCG.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Skip the enhanced bolt

enhanced bolt is much much easier to clean... but maybe with your upper you might nto have as much fouling.. I like the enhanced bolt alot on mine. I wouldnt waste the money on the trigger as the stock one is ok.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w233/USP_2007/IMG_0043.jpg

Theres nothing that gets really that dirty on the BCG.  All you need is a wipedown with some CLP or your favorite dissolver(brake cleaner) and the shit just washes away.

Is it being just a little easier to clean worth $150?

LMT has two parts..the enhanced Bolt and the Enhanced Carrier Group (which you dont use on SBRs) I have the enhanced Bolt. It makes a major difference having the nickel coating on it for cleaning. With the SBR carbon deposits are a problem.  

5 years in the .mil and never a problem cleaning carbon off the BCG.

I keep it standard
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Hows the build coming?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hows the build coming?

got the Lower ordered and My friends FFL info Faxed... im currently on line ordering upper and BCG right now... with an ARMS #40... and Have'nt decided on an optic yet but 90% posative im doing an Aimpoint COMP M3 on a LaRue mount... then going to buy a 3x and a Night Vision device that I can swap out between the two...and both the 3x and the NVD will be on those pivoting mounts.. SO I can have it on and not be using it and just click it over and bam... 3x during the day... as night put on the NVD... gonna be bad ass... Just Bought wal-mart out of Rem. UMC 55 grain .223 I lucked out and got 42 boxes of it

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hows the build coming?

got the Lower ordered and My friends FFL info Faxed... im currently on line ordering upper and BCG right now... with an ARMS #40... and Have'nt decided on an optic yet but 90% posative im doing an Aimpoint COMP M3 on a LaRue mount... then going to buy a 3x and a Night Vision device that I can swap out between the two...and both the 3x and the NVD will be on those pivoting mounts.. SO I can have it on and not be using it and just click it over and bam... 3x during the day... as night put on the NVD... gonna be bad ass... Just Bought wal-mart out of Rem. UMC 55 grain .223 I lucked out and got 42 boxes of it

img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Beastofdurden/remi003.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Beastofdurden/remi001.jpg

Heh must be nice to have that kind of cash floating around
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Go for a shorter upper.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Go for a shorter upper.

www.fototime.com/ED9CA7535C096F1/standard.jpg

Im not wanting to pay a 200 tax stamp... and the 16" is fine... carbine is perfect... shorter weapons only  really good for slicing the pie in a house and even then the 16" is just fine...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hows the build coming?

It's not... I work very hard for my money and I don't make that much... Beleive me... I just have pretty much no bills so I blow as much of it as I can towards munitions and gun accessories... I'm in school and crap but its all paid for... but by no means would I consider myself having cash just laying around because i dont
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
How much was the ammo?  They have the sticker on the shelf around here for $6.99 but the two Wally-Worlds and all the Meijers have none in stock.

BTW: I read about a KB with UMC around here somewhere lately, in a POF piston upper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Get into reloading.

What you paid for all that .223 would probably have been enough for a decent set up.

I load .223 at $.08-$.09 a round. What you just pay, $.35 or $.40 a round?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How much was the ammo?  They have the sticker on the shelf around here for $6.99 but the two Wally-Worlds and all the Meijers have none in stock.

BTW: I read about a KB with UMC around here somewhere lately, in a POF piston upper.

I doubt it was the rounds fault... sounds like BS to me... because I know people who have shot thousands of it off with not even a fail to fire... so im calling BS on that one buddy
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Get into reloading.

What you paid for all that .223 would probably have been enough for a decent set up.

Gimme some links then... everytime I price up brass and bullets and stuff... I come out to about the same to build it... minus all the time it will take... I know a guy whose entire garage is for reloading and he sais it's gotten to pricy and is'nt worth it anymore...

8-9 cents a round??? honestly gimme some links or something man... I'd sit in my garage all day and load at those prices....
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hows the build coming?

It's not... I work very hard for my money and I don't make that much... Beleive me... I just have pretty much no bills so I blow as much of it as I can towards munitions and gun accessories... I'm in school and crap but its all paid for... but by no means would I consider myself having cash just laying around because i dont

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get into reloading.

Gimme some links then... everytime I price up brass and bullets and stuff... I come out to about the same to build it... minus all the time it will take... I know a guy whose entire garage is for reloading and he sais it's gotten to pricy and is'nt worth it anymore...

8-9 cents a round??? honestly gimme some links or something man... I'd sit in my garage all day and load at those prices....

I get primers/powder at cost through my sponsorship, and I bought a whole bunch of bullets about a year ago before the most recent, severe price hikes.

Good luck even finding affordable .223 bullets now-a-days.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get into reloading.

I get primers/powder at cost through my sponsorship, and I bought a whole bunch of bullets about a year ago before the most recent, severe price hikes.

WTF is with your sig?  What happened to Steyr?  Where was I?

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get into reloading.

WTF is with your sig?  What happened to Steyr?  Where was I?

-Ben

SteyrAUG was locked for posting a picture of "Koran Brand" toilet paper

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I am about to get an LMT upper within the next few weeks.

I put together a DPMS lower with a DPMS LPK and am waiting for my RRA 6-position stock to arrive.  Then I am going to order the LMT A3 16 inch upper for it.  I've already got the LMT BUIS which will be going on it.

I can't wait.

I've been having tons of fun shooting my armalite M15A2, but I want a carbine to beat up on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Go for a shorter upper.

www.fototime.com/ED9CA7535C096F1/standard.jpg

I want a carbine... better battle rifle... and shorty is a waste of 200 bucks...

If im going shorty Ill go 7 inch.... I won't do anything inbetween 7"-16" just a waste...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top