User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i can't take four years of that!

GOD!  your faithful servant requests you please let GWB win.

If more people did this, I'd be more confident.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got about $8,000 into my off-road bike, but it has a motor on it as well as great suspension.

Who cares what he rides.  Let's just make fun of how goofy he looks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm into road biking, and even if someone told me they would pay for the most expensive bike I wanted, I could NOT imagine spending more than 4K on a bike.   I mean, I can BARELY tell what makes a 4K bike "better" than a 3K bike in any meaningful way - I certainly cannot figure out how an 8K bike is better than a 4K bike.  

Maybe CAMPYBOB knows.

OMG - I have those SAME bike shoes!!!!  Holy crap!!    (although in my defense, I traded them for a huge bag of left-over halloween candy from a fellow bike rider last year, because they were too big for him, and he was a generous guy.  I would never buy $250 bike shoes ).

I thought you only wore wooden shoes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
He paid eight grand for Ronald McDonald's bike!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
whats the name of that S&W bike that has a small motor on it for going up big hills....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He paid eight grand for Ronald McDonald's bike!!!

lol
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nobody NEEDS an $8000 bike.

Where have I heard that line of thinking before?

Don't know who I respect more, a man with an overpriced luxury bike, or a man who can't even ride one ...

www.totalbike.com/news/images/2004/bush_crash.jpg

Go home troll.  He fell, so what?  Everyone makes mistakes.  If we were to crucify everyone for something out of their control, your parents would be at the front of the list conceiving you through a wild night of butt sex.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm surprised he doesn't wear his old steel pot helmet from Vietnam. You do know he was in Vietnam, dont' you?

There's a photo-shop opportunity I'd like to see...

Here you go. (I love this cat)

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
4-8 grand for a bike?  You got ripped!

Get a 4 wheeler with gun rack or something......DAMN!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know who I respect more, a man with an overpriced luxury bike, or a man who can't even ride one ...

Go home troll.  He fell, so what?  Everyone makes mistakes.  If we were to crucify everyone for something out of their control, your parents would be at the front of the list conceiving you through a wild night of butt sex.

Hey, who the fuck are you? Now either take it to the pit or STFU before I get this thread locked.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Now for you, you didn't need to come here and stir the sh!t pot. So STFU.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Serotta is a custom made steel bike.

you damn straight, it is!

steel is real...and all that i'll ride.

I'm with you DK-Prof... for $4k, I could have a very nice Litespeed, Cannondale, or Trek.

keep your recycled beer cans and ti and carbon wonders...NOTHING to date has the ride qualities of steel.

kerry ain't racing the tour de france, nor is he climbing l'alpe du huez. for the...how should i say this? oh yes!...the REGULAR GUY steel is an optimum frame material.

btw, serotta builds a very sano frameset.

HEY!  Leave carbon bikes alone!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm with you DK-Prof...  for $4k, I could have a very nice Litespeed, Cannondale, or Trek.

Serotta also makes very nice Ti bikes too and they can get up there in price.  I sold one to a Doctor that retailed for about 7K.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm into road biking, and even if someone told me they would pay for the most expensive bike I wanted, I could NOT imagine spending more than 4K on a bike.   I mean, I can BARELY tell what makes a 4K bike "better" than a 3K bike in any meaningful way - I certainly cannot figure out how an 8K bike is better than a 4K bike.  

Maybe CAMPYBOB knows.

OMG - I have those SAME bike shoes!!!!  Holy crap!!    (although in my defense, I traded them for a huge bag of left-over halloween candy from a fellow bike rider last year, because they were too big for him, and he was a generous guy.  I would never buy $250 bike shoes ).

Damn Fox, that was funny!  I take back what I said in the other thread...you're alright with me
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#14]
For the hard core roadies, $4K is easy to spend, and I can imagine $8k.  The top racers spend over that.

Hate to say it, it's his money, he can spend it however he wishes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...fighter pilot...

Now THAT'S disrespectful to REAL fighter pilots.

How many hours do you have in a single engine fighter?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For the hard core roadies, $4K is easy to spend, and I can imagine $8k.  The top racers spend over that.

Actually,
its his wifes money.  And to be more exact, its his wife's dead 1st husband's money.
But lets not get too rapped up into the details.

Hey, wish I had the cash for that kinda bike, but if I did, I would be winding that bitch out on the open road, not twirling around a photo-shoot.
Some sweat would make it a little more realistic.
Or does he pay others to sweat for him?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not me, not any more.  Now I race out-of-the-box Treks, usually with Ultegra.  I hate crashing a Dura-ace or Campy Record bike because it is so expensive to replace parts!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with you DK-Prof...  for $4k, I could have a very nice Litespeed, Cannondale, or Trek.

Serotta also makes very nice Ti bikes too and they can get up there in price.  I sold one to a Doctor that retailed for about 7K.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe CAMPYBOB knows.

Damn Fox, that was funny!  I take back what I said in the other thread...you're alright with me

Bastards - the lot of you

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually,
its his wifes money.  And to be more exact, its his wife's dead 1st husband's money.
But lets not get too rapped up into the details.

Hey, wish I had the cash for that kinda bike, but if I did, I would be winding that bitch out on the open road, not twirling around a photo-shoot.
Some sweat would make it a little more realistic.
Or does he pay others to sweat for him?

With the salary he makes, and his old money, he could easily pay cash for an $8k bike.

I know of one racer that has 6-8 bikes hanging in his garage.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me, not any more.  Now I race out-of-the-box Treks, usually with Ultegra.  I hate crashing a Dura-ace or Campy Record bike because it is so expensive to replace parts!  

I have a low end used Cannondale road bike, and until the baby showed up, we used to ride with a hard core group.  Back o' the pack isn't so bad, just have to beat the 67yo guy or look bad.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By FOX-

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Shit, If he spends 8K on a bike think how much his car cost!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shit, If he spends 8K on a bike think how much his car cost!!

Funny you should mention that...for years I drove to the bike races in a $1500 pickup truck with a $3500 mountain bike in the back!  Talk about priorities
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...fighter pilot...

Now THAT'S disrespectful to REAL fighter pilots.

How many hours do you have in a single engine fighter?

Shhhhh, be vewy vewy qwiet awound twolls.  Dwey might dwag you down and beat you wit petty insults.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I dont care for scarry,
But i do admire his ride. Serotta's are fine American made machines.
like everything, the good stuff is never cheap.
A liberal would say nobody needs an 8k dollar bicycle.
A conservative would say its HIS money let him do what he likes with it.

Hell i ride a cheap 1k lemond with about another 1k in after market goodies
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The jump from $4K to $8K gets you a name, Serrota, and some personal fit. Kerry's a tall guy so he can probably use a custom fit bike.

Personally, if i were buying a steel bike and looking for a custom fit I'd probably just go to a local builder. Most of them do good work for a lot less than $8K. But I'm a notorious cheapskate and don't give much of a hoot about names.

I've been riding Ti lately and it's pretty nice. Went from a Lemond Zurich 831 frame to a Lemond Ti frame with the same geometry. I had a frame failure on the Zurich; it cracked near the downtube water bottle boss. The difference from steel to Ti  is small, but I think noticable; the Ti is a bit smoother. I'd probably be riding one of the Trek carbon fiber frames if I could find one that fit me. The Lemonds are nice for me because they've got long top tubes, and I'm long in the torso.

I've never found an Al frame road bike that I've really liked, though. All of them seem harsh. Maybe just the geometry of everything I've tried, but maybe not.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Boy I wish I was a regular...and could ride around on an 8K bike.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#28]
did anyone watch the jayleno thing where they put a bush and kerry bike on the side of the road and some black guy steals the kerry bike right infront of the camera !!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]
i got a 4k downhill bike.  and its worth every penny.

the reason most high end bicycles cost so much is because they make very few of them each year.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Some guys are posting 3K and 4k on a bike?

I guess if you're into it...cool.

8K on a bike? WTF?

My first HARLEY cost less than that and I didn't look 1/100 as GAY as kerry looks in that pic!!

SIgned

Kurt "Did this guy skip to work on capitol hill for the last 20 years" Austin
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top