You can't stop what's coming
View Quote

That’s vanity.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap Kifaru pack tops coming?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
In 2008, most of my clients were from an industry adjacent to the ones hardest hit when SHTF. One day the spigot was shut off and I wasn't diversified to the extent I should have been to weather it long term.  As Kenny Rogers said...
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate to say it but hotel front desk and a book bag manufacturing job doesn't ring high on the list. Good luck and I hope you have some decent interview skills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hate to say it but hotel front desk and a book bag manufacturing job doesn't ring high on the list. Good luck and I hope you have some decent interview skills.

Not book bags. High end external framed hunting packs, Insulated heavy vinyl kill bags for fish. Lots of outdoor/recreation gear. But i get your point and it's one I've already realized. Maybe this is an opportunity for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I too think its going to be bad, when Biden was put in office was as clear a sign as anyone should have needed, short of special interest that would benefit.

I am not trying to sock cash away as much as I am trying to buy every tool I think ill use/need/want in the coming depression, new normal, great reset.

Stock up on shit you will use with all that miserable, stagnant, wealth destroying free time..

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
These chicken little post have been made a billion times before. Everything will be fine. Good luck to you OP
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hear ya. It’s getting very bad.

Ive had a successful business for a decade, that over the last two years has crumbled.  I am probably going to have to close up shop soon and find work.
View Quote

I went into crushing debt to save my company.  I should have taken a job as soon as Covid started.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Name the company , I was in the market for a 4000cu in elk pack .
View Quote

Ditto…well…kinda  ditto….

While I am in NO physical shape to go elk hunting, I would like a Made In U.S.A. backpack.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
These chicken little post have been made a billion times before. Everything will be fine. Good luck to you OP
View Quote

I wish you were right but I know you are wrong.  You may have been right the last billion times but, This time you are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in So. FL and there's a serious lack of trade related employees. I'm sure many are willing to train. Not sure if you're able to relocate.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything will be fine..For You?        

What a relief!  Oh I’m sure OP will be happy to hear it.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine is an autobroker and he says the market is crashing. Yes its over priced but it's crashing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep. My cousin owns a dress shop. Business has been around almost thirty years and about to close. Weddings, quinceañeras and prom are now luxuries.

An uncle was terminated from a large factory construction management position for refusing the shot last year and still hasn’t found anything close to his old job.

I work for a shipping company and it’s telling what and how much people order. There is a huge shift to basic items, precious metals and some of the most prolific farmers in the area are buying survival food in bulk. Volume is down despite people ordering so much more stuff.

It’s past the time to start gardening.
View Quote

Nope, retail clothing is dying. My GF is buying more dresses than ever… all online.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nope, retail clothing is dying. My GF is buying more dresses than ever… all online.
View Quote

This,  the only clothing I step foot into a store to buy anymore is a pair of work boots.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm retired,,for a LONG time and I still worry about our future. We're WELL prepared no matter how bad it gets. I've been through two housing crashes and they are FUCKING BRUTAL. We were IN the housing business. One day it's balls to the wall and the next day I couldn't give our products away. It's literally THAT fast during the onset of a recession.

Being in my 69th year now I'm blessed that I have my health and I'm doubly blessed that I grew up working in a ditch with men. We'll do fine no matter how bad it gets. We may not "thrive" but we'll get along just fine. Today, by myself, I retrieved a floating upside down "bass buster" boat from our lake that decades ago had been stashed on the shoreline by a trespasser. Somehow it was blown into the lake and was just ugly as sin floating out there. I started with a fishing rod, snagged it from the shore, hopped in the Jon boat and lassoed it with a rope up in a bunch of trees, was able to use the pool pole to get the rope all the way around the damn thing, drug it into the shore with the CanAm, grabbed the tractor and lifted it up enough to clear the stumps and then finally drug it up to my shop where I got it on my trailer and hauled it to the dump. I'm lucky I didn't kill myself. Point is that i can still get things accomplished albeit a bit slower than in my youth.

We bailed on the stock market for the most part in early April this year and I expect the economy to really get ugly in the near future. With FJB at the hem we ALL better get ready for bread lines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This,  the only clothing I step foot into a store to buy anymore is a pair of work boots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tech, as neat and good as it is, will be the likely ruination of all things...
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In 2008, most of my clients were from an industry adjacent to the ones hardest hit when SHTF. One day the spigot was shut off and I wasn't diversified to the extent I should have been to weather it long term.  As Kenny Rogers said...
View Quote

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear OP

Most of this slow buying is people are not spending since their fuel bills doubled.

I don't feel it's complete doom and gloom, we will bounce back like we did in 2008, I feel 2008 was worse but we will get back on track.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope, retail clothing is dying. My GF is buying more dresses than ever all online.
View Quote
Amazon is destroying brick and mortar.

I despise that company.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
REI?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Most of us GD millionaires don't hate Dave - we're just disappointed he doesn't know the difference between debt and credit and conflates the two as "da debil".

It is true that most of America doesn't seem responsible enough to not use credit to get into debt, so Dave still provides valuable service to the economy as a whole.
View Quote

People get into trouble when they believe the liberal lie that credit is money, when in reality credit is a lack of money. The US Creditist economy is completely built upon this lie.

I avoid the Creditist economy and operate within the Capitalist economy. My business runs on its own capital and has zero debt. Total solvency provides lasting durable immunity to cyclical credit collapses like the one that's coming.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If the OP gets really desperate, the major railroads are all desperate for warm bodies than can pass a drug test.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm in So. FL and there's a serious lack of trade related employees. I'm sure many are willing to train. Not sure if you're able to relocate.
View Quote

Unskilled trade employee... that's how I got started. We were called the N word back then.

I was working as an apprentice electrician and was laid off in the recession of 1979 so I started my own business which I still work in today.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to hear that, OP. Good luck.

I’m concerned that a major downturn is coming, I’ve been putting in serious overtime for a few months in an effort to soften the blow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry you lost your job OP.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that, OP. Good luck.

I’m concerned that a major downturn is coming, I’ve been putting in serious overtime for a few months in an effort to soften the blow.
View Quote

I think you can count on a manufactured "crisis" BEFORE the 2022 Elections.
Democrats need to find a way to STOP the elections from taking place.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will never forget that. My business went from great to nothing fast.  

I always felt I needed to pay off all of my debts, unfortunately the people who owed me money didn't feel the same way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A wise man would sell that Tahoe to CarMax tomorrow for $12k and buy a 2007 Honda Civic off Craigslist for $3k.

Just sayin.

Use your money to make you money.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck to you OP.  I foresee a steady rise in repossessions, maybe look at that?

And the economy is definitely rolling over, the media industrial complex won't admit it until it gets completely dire.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good luck to you OP.  I foresee a steady rise in repossessions, maybe look at that?

And the economy is definitely rolling over, the media industrial complex won't admit it until it gets completely dire  they can blame it on republicans
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm quite inclided to take OP at face value.  Just sat through some meetings with business strategy leaders for a basic industry I won't go into (and not relevant) for 10 different countries.  Every single one of them is planning for a major recession they are expecting to hit in each of their countries in the next few months.  I was floored, as I hadn't been paying attention, but apparently everyone who is paid to pay attention, is past looking out for it; they are outright expecting it and planning for it.  At the same time, all of them are expecting to see a continued increase in sustainability demands and legislation ("sustainability" is the new word for "green" btw, in case you missed that change)

It was eye opening as shit, I'll say that.  We're about to go from labor shortage and all the smug posts about how valuable labor is and holds all the cards, to a lot of lay-offs coming.  My advise, be very careful "sticking to your guns" and start to focus on "that dude is damned valuable, easy to work with, and cost effective".

This afternoon, I walked out of an Eastern European gun store, and asked them: "how many guns a day are you selling right now",   oh, it's calmed down, only maybe 5 a day now, it was busier a few months ago?   How about ammo sales?  That's fine, we have ammo - it was short for a little time a few months ago, but now, no problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds like you got fired and you're not telling the whole story

I'm quite inclided to take OP at face value.  Just sat through some meetings with business strategy leaders for a basic industry I won't go into (and not relevant) for 10 different countries.  Every single one of them is planning for a major recession they are expecting to hit in each of their countries in the next few months.  I was floored, as I hadn't been paying attention, but apparently everyone who is paid to pay attention, is past looking out for it; they are outright expecting it and planning for it.  At the same time, all of them are expecting to see a continued increase in sustainability demands and legislation ("sustainability" is the new word for "green" btw, in case you missed that change)

It was eye opening as shit, I'll say that.  We're about to go from labor shortage and all the smug posts about how valuable labor is and holds all the cards, to a lot of lay-offs coming.  My advise, be very careful "sticking to your guns" and start to focus on "that dude is damned valuable, easy to work with, and cost effective".

This afternoon, I walked out of an Eastern European gun store, and asked them: "how many guns a day are you selling right now",   oh, it's calmed down, only maybe 5 a day now, it was busier a few months ago?   How about ammo sales?  That's fine, we have ammo - it was short for a little time a few months ago, but now, no problem.

A massive increase in energy costs is a good way to kick off a recession.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#33]
What is a hunting pack ?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The housing market will go untouched, or so GD tells me
View Quote

Houses in my little slice of Idaho are staying in the market a little longer now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What is a hunting pack ?
View Quote

It’s a pack designed to be worn while hunting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well that good news, depending on your skill set, I would trim to the bone now. Cut back everything you don't need.

I've been self employed contractor my entire adult life. I'm use to boom and bust cycles. I thought I was prepared, I was wrong.

In 2008 I ate through 50k in savings before construction rebounded and I was down to my last 5k.

I took those lessons from 2008 and made a bomb proof, recession proof plan and savings. Now I care little about boom or bust cycles and have put myself into a position to capitalize on recession
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope you socked away some savings, I think it's going to bad in 3-6 months

Yeah i have some savings. About 7k or so. Would have 17k but stupidly bought a Tahoe last spring.

Well that good news, depending on your skill set, I would trim to the bone now. Cut back everything you don't need.

I've been self employed contractor my entire adult life. I'm use to boom and bust cycles. I thought I was prepared, I was wrong.

In 2008 I ate through 50k in savings before construction rebounded and I was down to my last 5k.

I took those lessons from 2008 and made a bomb proof, recession proof plan and savings. Now I care little about boom or bust cycles and have put myself into a position to capitalize on recession

Any tips?

I started during that bust, but I was so broke I didn't really notice.

I've grown to a reasonable size, and own everything outright except the work truck.

Our entire year is booked and I've been kind of bouncing back and forth between saving it all, paying off the truck and saving the rest, or just spending like a mad man on equipment before inflation really kicks into high gear.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got laid off back in late December. Doing construction. Various stone and concrete work in NYC. They said we'd be starting back up in January. At first I figured OK, Christmas and New Year. Not much gets done over that holiday week anyway.

Then the trucker protests got going in Canada. Most of the stone we work with comes from Canada so I figured that was screwing with deliveries. Now end of May and still nothing. I'm told there's a bunch of work just waiting to get started. Allegedly in June it's a go again. Guess we'll see.

Had to take another job in the meantime to keep the bills paid.
View Quote

If your jobs rely on steel that might be a hold up.

I know a lot of bridge guys that are bouncing all over the place because steel orders for their jobs are way farther out than normal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, I'm sorry you lost your job.  I lost mine in 2001, so I know what you are going through.

Quoted:
Hope you socked away some savings, I think it's going to bad in 3-6 months
View Quote

I'm thinking its going to be bad at the end of this year, probably the last quarter of the calendar year.

My family has been at Panama City Beach on vacation this past week.  Last year at the same week, it was very heavily crowded.  Hard to get into shops, hard to move around.  This year, again same week, its been easy to get around, the shops aren't crowded, and hotels and rental homes have been empty.  I told my wife that people are already cutting out vacations.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only thing new is we have political powers TRYING to wreck it ...permit style.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. My cousin owns a dress shop. Business has been around almost thirty years and about to close. Weddings, quinceañeras and prom are now luxuries.

An uncle was terminated from a large factory construction management position for refusing the shot last year and still hasn’t found anything close to his old job.

I work for a shipping company and it’s telling what and how much people order. There is a huge shift to basic items, precious metals and some of the most prolific farmers in the area are buying survival food in bulk. Volume is down despite people ordering so much more stuff.

It’s past the time to start gardening.

You’re not wrong, but they were doing well until this year. The custom fitting for premium dresses gives them an edge over online. Women change size a lot before those events.  

It’s primarily the economy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I went into crushing debt to save my company.  I should have taken a job as soon as Covid started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear ya. It’s getting very bad.

Ive had a successful business for a decade, that over the last two years has crumbled.  I am probably going to have to close up shop soon and find work.

2020 was a hard year for me. My sales dropped by over 50% and all my shit needed to be replaced.

I went on a spending spree last year to try to get caught back up, and it's extended into this year. I'm hoping to get it so if we hit a big dry spell my shop is full of stuff that is actually serviceable for awhile so we can keep working.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Local Indeed has listings for Job ready training HVAC ...paid to learn with a job wanting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's a pack designed to be worn while hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a hunting pack ?

It's a pack designed to be worn while hunting.
It's rare to see such a tremendous amount of information being shared so freely
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m thankful I put a lot of money into savings a long time ago…….. no car payments or house payments, small credit card bill and utilities
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

People get into trouble when they believe the liberal lie that credit is money, when in reality credit is a lack of money. The US Creditist economy is completely built upon this lie.

I avoid the Creditist economy and operate within the Capitalist economy. My business runs on its own capital and has zero debt. Total solvency provides lasting durable immunity to cyclical credit collapses like the one that's coming.
View Quote
Nonsense. Credit is one of the best wealth building opportunities the world has ever known. The problem is almost to a T misuse credit. They want to use that line of credit to buy a toy or a bill.

Would you rather buy a house cash in hand for 100k and have it appreciate to 400k, or would you rather draw on your credit and buy a house worth 400k and have it appreciate to 1.6 million? I'll HAPPILY pay 3% interest on 400k to end up with 1.6. But thats just me.

Lets say you have a business which nets about 8% a year. Would you rather slowly grow it at 2 or 3% per year, or would you rather draw on a line of credit and double in size? I'd happily pay 3 or 4% interest to double the size of my business which nets 8%.

Credit is amazing. Its just horribly misused for cars, boats and vacations.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nonsense. Credit is one of the best wealth building opportunities the world has ever known. The problem is almost to a T misuse credit. They want to use that line of credit to buy a toy or a bill.

Would you rather buy a house cash in hand for 100k and have it appreciate to 400k, or would you rather draw on your credit and buy a house worth 400k and have it appreciate to 1.6 million? I'll HAPPILY pay 3% interest on 400k to end up with 1.6. But thats just me.

Lets say you have a business which nets about 8% a year. Would you rather slowly grow it at 2 or 3% per year, or would you rather draw on a line of credit and double in size? I'd happily pay 3 or 4% interest to double the size of my business which nets 8%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, credit is just a tool or a resource. Nothing more, nothing less. I liken it to a chainsaw. Incredibly useful and beneficial when used properly. Very dangerous when wielded by a retard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, credit is just a tool or a resource. Nothing more, nothing less. I liken it to a chainsaw. Incredibly useful and beneficial when used properly. Very dangerous when wielded by a retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Credit misused has cost me thousands in interest in the past.

Used properly it's made me tens of thousands.

I couldn't stay in business without credit from vendors and banks, but it has to be used intelligently.

I'm glad I ran into credit card issues early, it taught me not to do dumb shit (or at least to do it a lot less).
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You might be surprised I bought a small pack from a guy who does custom work, took months to get. He, I bet makes plenty the pack was like 160 bucks.
View Quote

Company name?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#49]
You can bet the government won't be laying people off.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry to hear OP.  I hope you are able to find something else.

Hard times are likely coming for all of us.  Unfortunately.  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top