Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The problem is definitely the Jennings.  I had one of those piece of shit Jennings .22 pistols back in the late 80's when I was just a young teenager. It used to jam every clip, one or two times. ] Finally, I had a partially out of battery discharge that showered my right hand with brass particles and powder.  I dissambled the jennings, powered up my dad's bench grinder and modified the gun so that would never happen again.  I ground through the frame to the point it was inoperative (didn't take long since the jennings frame is made of pot metal).  
Jennings guns are junk, nothing will make them servicable, except as a throw down gun!

Well theres your problem right there. Shoulda used a magazine........
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've also had an AD with a .22 bolt action.

You're right.  Since this is an equipment failure, it's the rare case of a true AD.

OP can change his thread title and possibly eliminate morons coming in here, not reading the post, and jumping to 'finger fucking the trigger' conclusions.

Done.  Glad I didn't pay much, this is one of the few times I'm in favor of a gun being demilled.

My AD was a cheap bolt action single-shot .22.

After the AD I told them to take it to a gunsmith or destroy it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the exact same problem with a Bernardelli 20 years ago...

Sold it the next day..

Glad you are A-OK!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
With a short barrel the bullet probably had less velocity then some upper end .22 air rifles. The compressed wood desk looks like it did not penetrate deep and looks like it hit the table at a steep angle too.

eta- didn't an ARFCOMer take out a new plasma TV in a similar accident?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Friend of mine bought a Jennings.  He had it pointed at his bed and chambered a round.  It went off shooting a hole through his mattress.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this could be termed an Honest-to-God AD, no a ND.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a .22, and it's a Jennings.  The more you read here, the more you realize that guns and ammo do malfunction.  Frequently.  

The primers are full of friction sensitive explosive.  Is it really that much of a surprise that a round could go off while being banged around?  

I have run rounds through in a similar manner, but I always make sure the gun is pointed at something safe and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Doh! I would put that crapper through the band saw and into the trash.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Friend of mine bought a Jennings.  He had it pointed at his bed and chambered a round.  It went off shooting a hole through his mattress.

Could have been worse, he could have had a waterbed.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Any differences on the rim anywhere - on either side, or in thickness of one section relative to the rest?

Also, this sounds to me like an actual AD, as there does not appear to be negligence involved.

(Chambering a live round is NOT negligent, or we all would be negiglent in loading our carry guns...)

But is loading a Jennings negligent?

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was a Jennings, there is your problem.

That didn't take long.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
When I opened this thread I was prepared to make a ND not an AD comment but now I am lost. Not what I expected to read. Definitely an AD. Glad everything is ok.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've also had an AD with a .22 bolt action.

Stiff bolt, chambering a round and as the bolt stiffly rode forward the round fired.

The four rules will save you every time.

Yep. The four rules will save your ass each and every single time.  Without fail.  Even when your gun goes off on accident.
Follow the damn rules.  Drywall can be patched.  Marriages can be reconciled.  LE can be convinced not to write up an incident.  Prosecutors can be convinced not to bring charges.  Juries can be convinced that shit happens.
But you can't undo a bullet in somebody.

edit: apostrophe usage

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell that thing for treefiddy...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Slam-fire, but the lack of a firing pin indentation is odd...  I'd want rid of that gun if I were you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a J-22 that fires upon chambering a round probably one out of ten times I chamber one
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Look at the front of the rim.

Do you see any crush marks?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+87
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Slam-fire, but the lack of a firing pin indentation is odd...  I'd want rid of that gun if I were you.

This plus a million.  And by rid of, I mean destroyed.  Hell, a malfunctioning AR can send you to the joint, so I would guess a POS Jennings that fires like that might just empty a mag without you meaning it too––-and in front of the wrong person might get you in hot shit.  

Sledgehammer+Jennings=mild entertainment+no surprise buttsecks=a good time all 'round.

Just my equation though––YMAOSASLMV*

(*Your Mileage And/Or Surprise Anal Sex Liking May Vary.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fail on so many levels.

How ya figure?  No one was hurt because the OP was being safe.  A gun is a mechanical device.  Occasionally, shit happens when using mechanical devices.  Responsible people following those safety rules are what keep other people from being hurt when that shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Years ago I had a Colt 1911 .22 conversion.  It would slam fire without dimpling the rim.

Yes... Yes it can continue to fire that way until the magazine is empty!!

Would that be considered a MG then? Watch out for the ATF.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Great idea... Turn it into one of those police gun buybacks .  Get a $100 to buy something better!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#25]
It could be a combo of the ammo and Jennings......Few years back I had a round of Federal bulk go off inside the magazine of my 10/22, after I had fired 4 or 5 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
oh wow, the ever so rare post about having an ad that was actually an ad not an nd
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
glad you're ok OP, ADs happen. In my book its a lot like a dog bitting/growling at your child. Both need to be destroyed. If I were you I would cut that thing in half, or give it to a police buy back to destroy. Selling a weapon that has a history of ADs is not only irresponsible, but negligent in its own regard.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy some mud to fix the wall. Deny everything. Hope you get your deposit back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's odd.

No it isn't . Sensitive  primer happens more and more frequently with the poor quality control and constant  efforts to make  a extra .00000001 cent of profit today .
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd run right out and buy a snap-cap (if they make them in .22)

...after I cleaned my drawers
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:...In my book its a lot like a dog bitting/growling at your child. Both need to be destroyed...

I read this at first thinking you wanted the dog AND child destroyed.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...and I don't know what exactly happened.

YOU ARE DOING IT FUCKING WRONG!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:01:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a relative who is a member here, owned a Jennings once.

He somehow fashioned a firing pin out of a paper clip that worked better than the factory pin...
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Jennings guns have a purpose, but you're doing it wrong.

Wipe the entire gun down very well with oil and lubricants. Also, unload the magazine and wipe down every round and reload the magazine wearing gloves making sure not to get any of the oil off your hands onto the cartridges. Place the loaded gun in a ziplock bag.

You now have a ready to go throw down gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a J-22 that fires upon chambering a round probably one out of ten times I chamber one

Does it also do it if you 'ride' the slide gently closed?

I have always been afraid to "pull the slide back and let it fly" when chambering indoors. Even the finicky PM9 with the crazy steep offset ramps gets get ridden gently closed indoors.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Brother I had this happen with a J22 as well and twice with Browning buck mark and once with a 10/22, the guns were not at fault, it has happened to me with Federal and Remington as well. Now here is the issue rim fire cartridges have the priming compound all on the bottom a hard enough even flat hit will do this.

My cases look the same, my brother has never had this happen maybe I am just that lucky, but I will not chamber a rim fire in doors again I had what you had happen but it went into my bed and lodged into my mattress.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like it fired slightly out of battery. That is probably why the round was a bit weaker than expected.

Must have been a heck of a strike on the ass end of the round.

Glad you were un-injured. That is why there are four rules.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This + 1,000
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Glad nobody was hurt, but actually, you had the pistol pointed in a "lucky" direction.  You had no control over where that bullet would end up, which is why you had to look for it.  The fact that it did not ricochet, penetrate and hit something expensive to replace, like your computer or your dog or your child, was simply luck.

I urge you to either spend the money for a Safe Direction (www.safedirection.com) or build yourself a stop-box.  In my house, whenever I load, unload, or dry fire, the gun is not pointed at my desk, or the TV, or the bed, or the floor.  It is pointed at something that I know will catch a bullet.  Before I had a Safe Direction, my stop box was a cardboard box jammed full of old phone books, backed by a piece of scrap steel.  Other people have used ammo cans filled with sand, etc.

Make it a habit never to handle a gun anywhere in your house except when it is pointed at your designated bullet-catcher.

BTW, I started doing this after I had a similar AD with a Sterling .22.  The bullet hit a wall, ricocheted, and lodged in the curtains.  I realized that luck was the only reason nobody was hurt.  I don't trust luck; I trust Kevlar.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

But the amazing thing is that it actually fired a round without jamming.  

CJ

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a .22LR conversion unit for an AR15 do the same thing. I put a round in the chamber and let the bolt slam forward. It fired when the bolt closed and shot my brand new TV. There was no firing pin mark on the rim of the case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top