BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please use correct terms.  A 900lb cow is most likely a candidate for hamburger.  A 900lb steer is good eating.

Now if it was actually a steer - understand that specific cuts are made from specific parts of the steer.  If you got a hind quarter for instance, you will get no briskets, no chucks, perhaps you will get some some of the loins which can be cut a few ways.  You will also get a shitload of round steak (or hamburger if you grind it).

Sorry about the one error on the map - it is a fucking cow, not a steer.  Steers will put on weight faster, and probably have a better fat ratio.  To get a female to 900lbs, it is going to be older and tougher.  A heifer would probably be slaughtered a bit lighter.  Dad never wanted to waste money slaughtering a steer (which would sell at a higher price) so we ate a lot of young heifers.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0914/6382/files/diagram-of-cuts-of-beef-on-cow.png?v=1587575344
View Quote

900 pound steer is about 3-400 pounds from being finished.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We get something called beef sticks. Consider it an all natural, requires refrigeration once opened, smoked, stick of delicious beef. VERY GOOD!!  Beef sticks will consume stew meat and other random cuts and pieces.  The beef sticks will also take some away from your hamburger.
View Quote

More info plz?

Are these sticks like a Slim Jim?  Or, more like a log of beef bologna that you slice for sandwiches?

What do they use for casing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
My question is ,How do you know you are going to get the same animal back that you bring in? Just have faith?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

More info plz?

Are these sticks like a Slim Jim?  Or, more like a log of beef bologna that you slice for sandwiches?

View Quote

I don't like your use of slim jim as a comparison, but yes. They are finger thickness, cured sausages that you eat cold. Delicious....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My question is ,How do you know you are going to get the same animal back that you bring in? Just have faith?
View Quote

Is there a good reason it wouldn't be?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't like your use of slim jim as a comparison, but yes. They are finger thickness, cured sausages that you eat cold. Delicious....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More info plz?

Yep. Think Slim Jim, made from good quality meat instead of floor scrapings and mechanically separated chicken. I get a shitload made from my deer every year. The locker I use charges $2-$4 per pound depending on exactly what recipe you want(about 20 options there).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is if the processor isn't honest. I've seen some shady processors, especially among those that just operate during hunting season.

There's no guarantee you'll get your animal back and not one somebody else killed and drove around on their hood all day before dropping it off for processing. I've also seen some crazy 'shrink' rates. 800# of skinned quarters of elk in - 350# of processed elk out. "We cut the bone weight out".

Always get referrals for meat processors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If I were having a beef buttered I’d ask that the strip loins, ribs, and tenderloins remain whole as I like to trim and cut my own steaks, but want the option for roasts. Top sirloin steaks, briskets, short ribs, skirt and flank steaks, chuck roasts, tri tips all get vac packed. Quite a bit would be packed for making jerky later and the rest ground.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Some guys here have clue, others do not.

You will order your cuts by percentages, and you will not get everything you want.

900 lb cow will fill a 4'x6' truck bed full of coolers.  After it's hung with time, and then processed, a 900 lb cow may get you 375lbs of weighted meat to cook if you're lucky.

That said, I know the cows personally I'm getting, and never had a qualm with the meat after I pick it up.  We could pay less at a grocery store for what they charge, but the meat IMO is worth it by going "home grown" (cow actually had a pretty good life compared to what you buy commercially IMO, not that it matters to most).    

If you don't have a charcoal grill, get one.  Even the burgers will be the best you've ever had.  

We're at the point that all we get cut is "steak" and hamburger.  We take the steak and cut it ourselves to what we want (depending on the butcher, the frozen steak cuts can be HUGE LOL).  Found it easier that way on our end.

And yes, there is a difference between a cow and a steer, but we've never had any complaints about the meat from a cow taken to the butcher.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All of the places I know around here give you a sheet you fill out.
View Quote

This, prepare for many lbs of hamburger.  They vacuum packed them in 1lbs packages.  It comes down to steaks or roasts,etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some guys here have clue, others do not.

You will order your cuts by percentages, and you will not get everything you want.

900 lb cow will fill a 4'x6' truck bed full of coolers.  After it's hung with time, and then processed, a 900 lb cow may get you 375lbs of weighted meat to cook if you're lucky.

That said, I know the cows personally I'm getting, and never had a qualm with the meat after I pick it up.  We could pay less at a grocery store for what they charge, but the meat IMO is worth it by going "home grown" (cow actually had a pretty good life compared to what you buy commercially IMO, not that it matters to most).    

If you don't have a charcoal grill, get one.  Even the burgers will be the best you've ever had.  

We're at the point that all we get cut is "steak" and hamburger.  We take the steak and cut it ourselves to what we want (depending on the butcher, the frozen steak cuts can be HUGE LOL).  Found it easier that way on our end.

And yes, there is a difference between a cow and a steer, but we've never had any complaints about the meat from a cow taken to the butcher.

View Quote

900 pound cow is seriously underweight.  Either stunted, starved or sick.  About the same as an 80 pound women.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't bring the meat in.  The rancher drops the cow off at the butcher with my name on it. The butcher calls me and asks what I want. A few weeks later I have boxes of beef delivered to my house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My buddy has 6 steers going in next week.  I'm in for a quarter.  Processing date is Feb 25th, so they will be hanging for about 14 days.
I've already got the cut sheet from the processor, just waiting on the hanging weight.
The processor will do these 6 animals start to finish in 1-2 days before starting on the next customer's animal.
Typical upper midwest beef - pasture raised, supplemented with alfalfa and corn.  

My wife got conned into a group buy on "premium" grass fed organic beef a few years ago.  It wasn't very good quality meat, and the processor butchered the day they killed.  The burger was all water weight.
I donated nearly the whole quarter to the food shelf and my wife got a $500 lesson in meat quality.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shady butcher notices those ribeyes he just cut look like this?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The cows we used to get from our neighbors were all grass fed and young. Not very high quality steaks out of them, but can't complain when they're free. Anyway, I'd get the ribeyes and filets cut out of them, and all the rest ground into burger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

900 pound cow is seriously underweight.  Either stunted, starved or sick.  About the same as an 80 pound women.
View Quote

1 - Age
2 - Breed
3 - Nitritional history
4 - Indiviual traits

All of the above are factors in the cows weight.  

Most cows we have processed weigh at least a couple hundred lbs more, but depending on the circumstances, could see a healthy cow being in the 900lb range before slaughter.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My buddy has 6 steers going in next week.  I'm in for a quarter.  Processing date is Feb 25th, so they will be hanging for about 14 days.
View Quote

Ours just finished it's 2 week hanging time.  Picking up Saturday.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Only the good parts
View Quote

That will fit in the microwave.

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#19]
PMM. Just go down to the butcher, tell them you’d like to learn so you can make an informed decision and they will walk you through a cut sheet. It’s pretty simple that way and I did that my first time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

900 pound steer is about 3-400 pounds from being finished.
View Quote

Agreed, that is about a 1 year old animal based on our typical weight gain.  We like to sell at around 1400lbs, and usually that is about 16-17 months old.

I know some folks that are fine with smaller animals, but they aren't going to have the same cover on them as a fully fed out beef for sure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are at a reputable shop, they have to track the meat and will typically assign a tag number to your animal, be it a steer, a deer, or a hog.   That stays with it as they process it.   I'm sure at times ground beef gets mixed up depending on how they manage the trimmings and stuff, but even at that I'm sure there are some USDA requirements about how they do it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
A cow is a female that has had a calf.  Generally cows are not butchered unless they are old or for some reason not profitable to continue breeding, and when butchered they are basically a utility grade of meat.  Younger females (unbred) are called heifers.  While their primary purpose is to replace old breeding stock, they can be fed out and produce decent beef - but it is generally less profitable to do so commercially.  Bull calfs are generally held to replace breeding stock, or get castrated (and become steers).  Steers are most efficient at turning feed into beef.  That said, I have eaten many heifers and bull calfs that were butchered right before they would have needed to be weened (about 11 months).  Definitely not prime beef, but edible.  People who have fat phobias, will argue that a 2yr old grass fed steer is the best flavor - I find fat is the best flavor, and that is generally put on at a feed lot.  I have fed out a heifer once, and it was definitely better than one of our 11m calves.  But we put almost $1k of feed into that animal.  It just is not commercially profitable.  We only did it because the feed was banked and it was the last animal on my friends ranch.

I currently have full blood Angus.  They are somewhat smaller than many other breeds (my bull is probably under 1200lbs).  I also have a couple Dexter cows (to make my truck look larger)...  I am going to need to give them their own pasture soon, as I am pretty sure an Angus Bull and a Dexter cow will be one hell of a calving problem.  I am betting the 2 Dexter bull calves I have will need to be butchered under 700lbs - hell their full grown mothers are under that.  I think Dexter bulls top out under 900lbs, maybe under 800.

----
I have not been for years, but Texas has a state park at the LBJ ranch.  They have tried to maintain it as it was when it was LBJ's presidential retreat.  LBJ raised Angus (iirc), and they have tried to retain the same genetics (not what the Angus breed has become since then).  Last time I went (about 20 years ago), they were some damn tiny cattle compared to my father's market crosses.  Our cattle at the time were true heinz 57's.  They started out as Brangus / Beefmasters I think, but then we had several generations of Brahman Bulls bread in (added a bit of mass), then a generation of Limousine (to stretch them out).  Towards the end we were breeding in Simmental - which while a heavy breed, was mostly chosen because the bulls were great herd bulls.  I went with Angus mostly for ease of calving - Brahman were pains in the ass with calving.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A cow is a female that has had a calf.  Generally cows are not butchered unless they are old or for some reason not profitable to continue breeding, and when butchered they are basically a utility grade of meat.  Younger females (unbred) are called heifers.  While their primary purpose is to replace old breeding stock, they can be fed out and produce decent beef - but it is generally less profitable to do so commercially.  Bull calfs are generally held to replace breeding stock, or get castrated (and become steers).  Steers are most efficient at turning feed into beef.  That said, I have eaten many heifers and bull calfs that were butchered right before they would have needed to be weened (about 11 months).  Definitely not prime beef, but edible.  People who have fat phobias, will argue that a 2yr old grass fed steer is the best flavor - I find fat is the best flavor, and that is generally put on at a feed lot.  I have fed out a heifer once, and it was definitely better than one of our 11m calves.  But we put almost $1k of feed into that animal.  It just is not commercially profitable.  We only did it because the feed was banked and it was the last animal on my friends ranch.

I currently have full blood Angus.  They are somewhat smaller than many other breeds (my bull is probably under 1200lbs).  I also have a couple Dexter cows (to make my truck look larger)...  I am going to need to give them their own pasture soon, as I am pretty sure an Angus Bull and a Dexter cow will be one hell of a calving problem.  I am betting the 2 Dexter bull calves I have will need to be butchered under 700lbs - hell their full grown mothers are under that.  I think Dexter bulls top out under 900lbs, maybe under 800.

----
I have not been for years, but Texas has a state park at the LBJ ranch.  They have tried to maintain it as it was when it was LBJ's presidential retreat.  LBJ raised Angus (iirc), and they have tried to retain the same genetics (not what the Angus breed has become since then).  Last time I went (about 20 years ago), they were some damn tiny cattle compared to my father's market crosses.  Our cattle at the time were true heinz 57's.  They started out as Brangus / Beefmasters I think, but then we had several generations of Brahman Bulls bread in (added a bit of mass), then a generation of Limousine (to stretch them out).  Towards the end we were breeding in Simmental - which while a heavy breed, was mostly chosen because the bulls were great herd bulls.  I went with Angus mostly for ease of calving - Brahman were pains in the ass with calving.
View Quote

I raise pure black angus also but they are much larger, cows go 1200 and up, 6 year old bulls will be pushing a ton.  Maybe that is related to the little whitetail deer you have down there?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:900 lb cow will fill a 4'x6' truck bed full of coolers.  After it's hung with time, and then processed, a 900 lb cow may get you 375lbs of weighted meat to cook if you're lucky.
View Quote

Head up my butt.  A 900lb "hanging weight" cow will fill up a 4'X6' truck bed full of coolers.

An actual 900lb cow should yeild substaintially less than 375lbs of cut meat.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Cow? Or steer or heifer?

Cow, mostly hamburger.  Or roasts to cut up later.

I ordered mostly t-bones, roasts, brisket, ribs and hamburger from my half of the 900 lb heifer I raised.  

You can cut roasts anyway you want to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cow? Or steer or heifer?

Cow, mostly hamburger.  Or roasts to cut up later.

I ordered mostly t-bones, roasts, brisket, ribs and hamburger from my half of the 900 lb heifer I raised.  

You can cut roasts anyway you want to.
View Quote

HEIFER
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One 900lb ribeye.
View Quote

There’s a steakhouse in Amarillo that serves that
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
All ground.

I really like burgers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
900lbs of tartare
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought 500 lbs of grass-fed beef about 20 years or so ago, I went halves with an acquaintance.  Worst beef ever.  Steaks were tough and tasted like shit.  I couldn't even make good spaghetti with the hamburger.  First and only time in my entire life that I threw leftover spaghetti into the trash.    My then 10 year old son wouldn't eat it and he loves steak and meat.  It ruined every thing it was put in.

I just finally threw it away or gave it to our dog - it was nasty shit.

I have no idea if the beef was shit to begin with or the butcher swapped our beef for someone else or just kept it.  Never went back to either one.

Hogs on the other hand:  Holder Farms in Belividere, TN for the hogs + Weavers Processing in Hartselle, AL = some damn good pork!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to need another deep freezer.
Buddy called me last night.  he's got an aging cow that calved really late this year and he's decided she's going with to the locker for burger when he takes the steers in.
Offered me 75 additional pounds of burger on top of my quarter I'm getting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

HEIFER
View Quote

A 900lb heifer isn't going to have near the fat cover as a fully finished beef.   Heifers that are finished out to 1200+ can still yield some good steaks.

You will probably get some pretty decent filets out of it as well as some other cuts that are less fatty.   But probably won't have that great of NY strips and Ribeyes, nor brisket   The roast will be decent and you can probably get some good burger out of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#33]
“All hotdogs.”
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to need another deep freezer.
Buddy called me last night.  he's got an aging cow that calved really late this year and he's decided she's going with to the locker for burger when he takes the steers in.
Offered me 75 additional pounds of burger on top of my quarter I'm getting.
View Quote

That was nice of him.

Too much food-talk about a first world problem!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#35]
"Shove all the things into this garbage bag sir."
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Just tell him you want it cut in half.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Tell him you want all T-Bones, none of the hamburger bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Chuck roasts
Skirt
Flank
Ribeye
Tenderloin
Sirloin roasts
Picana
Tri tip roasts
Strip loin steaks
Brisket
Short ribs
Grind the rest 85/15
View Quote

I'm drooling here
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't read all the responses, yet.

But...

An old cow = 900 lbs of hamburger.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread is educational.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:Offered me 75 additional pounds of burger on top of my quarter I'm getting.
View Quote

How Many in your family?  When it was just the wife and I, 1lb packs would do fine for hamburger.

With two teens now, we only get the hamburger in two lb packs, found it easier to work with.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Picked up my hind 1/4 today.  $2.99 per lb, and got about just over 200#
Porterhouse , T Bones, round, flank, and sirloin steaks, Loin, rump, and sirloin tip roasts, with about 40# ground beef

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Picked up my hind 1/4 today.  $2.99 per lb, and got about just over 200#
Porterhouse , T Bones, round, flank, and sirloin steaks, Loin, rump, and sirloin tip roasts, with about 40# ground beef

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88151/3036E659-1A1E-4162-9147-D8BF847357CD_jpe-1804131.JPG

View Quote

I've got to ask, was that 200lb of hanging weight or actual meat weighed put in your freezer?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Grilled a couple ribeyes from on of the steers we raised and butchered last fall.

Chip was his name, and he was about 1400lbs when we took him in for his final trailer ride.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#46]
hot dogs. 900 lbs worth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I deal with a 5rd generation butcher that works in the same building that the family started in. Really cool actually.

I tell him what I’m after such as rump roasts for smoker and rotisserie

No cubed steaks. Leave them as a roast.

Hamburger in 1.25 lb bricks

1 inch thick steaks

And of course I ask for dog bones

He walks though how he would cut it. I say ok then I goes I file ( not a computer. That’s too fancy it goes on an index
Card ).  Next time I call he pulls up the previous order and asks if I want to make any changes, we buy a 1/4 cow twice a year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Find a bacon you like (taste test it first) and mix in about 1/3 bacon "ends and pieces", turn it all into summer sausage.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top