User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry, I think paying $1 for lemon is absurd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO. great job with the improvised lemon solution.

IT IS.

Jesus fucking christ on a goddamned pogo stick, I think it's nonsense. Every time I eat at one of the local Chinese buffets and I get salmon, my husband knows to request a bowl of lemon wedges. I like fish with my lemon.

Unless someone is sitting at their table making lemonade, there should not a charge for lemons for a drink. Period.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Did mom's water taste like fish?, they rub the lemon through the gills you know just because they know that people will do exactly that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

BBQ in texas? Well, any port in a storm I guess, but I think I'd sooner just go to Mickey D's...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to several DDD restaurants in several stetes and they were all average at best... The only exception to this was Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX. It was damned good, but in fairness, it is the only BBQ I had in Texas so i don't have anything to compare to, really.

BBQ in texas? Well, any port in a storm I guess, but I think I'd sooner just go to Mickey D's...

I laughed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Fred's café in Ft. Worth is good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did mom's water taste like fish?, they rub the lemon through the gills you know just because they know that people will do exactly that.
View Quote

She would have said so, believe me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What you talking bout Willis?  Parkette is great. They're known for the chicken and it is fantastic. Have never had a bad meal there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a similar experience with a Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives restaurant. The Parkette Drive-in in Lexington, KY. Just very average fast food offerings. Fried fish, burgers, hotdogs. Not bad but not really special.

What you talking bout Willis?  Parkette is great. They're known for the chicken and it is fantastic. Have never had a bad meal there.

I didn't say it was a bad meal. I said it was very average. Their fried chicken is not much different from other fast food fried chicken I have had.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a few places in JAX that have been featured on Triple-D.  One is a place called Singletons that I ate at a ton prior to the show and when I visit Jax I never miss a chance to eat here.  The atmosphere and the food are great.

My wife just loves some breakfast joint that was feature which I think compares to waffle house...It's just not good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Only been to a couple restaurants that have been featured on DDD, but I'm lucky, they have been excellent.

You can kind of tell what kind of restaurant it's going to be from how they prepare their food. Sysco and Gordon Food cans are a dead giveaway, but watching the show (wife and I enjoy it) even some other places that make everything themselves don't look appealing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have always imagined that the dude who owns Spikes would look just like that guy
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And Ol' Deej get's a life's lesson in marketing, payola, and the TV industry.

Hopefully your parents don't give you too much shit about it.
View Quote

I laughed so hard my dag started barking,
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The thing to remember is if they are known for their pancakes don't order a hamburger and expect it to be great. We usually only try what we saw on tv and have always liked it, though some more than others.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But stealing $1 worth of lemons is OK?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A hobby that my wife and I have is going to the places on Man vs. Food.  So far we've yet to find one that didn't live up to expectations.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watch Triple D and Man vs. Food quite a bit.

Have been to some of the restaurants featured and they were actually really good.

Went to a BBQ place in Memphis that was outstanding.  Forgot the name - it was over by the St. Jude Children's Hospital.
A hobby that my wife and I have is going to the places on Man vs. Food.  So far we've yet to find one that didn't live up to expectations.  

This!  I try to do that too and I'm up to 11 different ones featured on the show and I haven't been disappointed yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My mom was ok but she shared my opinion-definitely a dive.  And it's definitely a kind of a hole in the wall place...it's on a frontage road to Interstate 55 across from an industrial park.

I did however go to Paula Deen's restaurant(before the whole lawsuit blowout) and Uncle Bubba's(her brother's place) and I found it FANTASTIC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And Ol' Deej get's a life's lesson in marketing, payola, and the TV industry.

Hopefully your parents don't give you too much shit about it.

My mom was ok but she shared my opinion-definitely a dive.  And it's definitely a kind of a hole in the wall place...it's on a frontage road to Interstate 55 across from an industrial park.

I did however go to Paula Deen's restaurant(before the whole lawsuit blowout) and Uncle Bubba's(her brother's place) and I found it FANTASTIC.

I hated uncle bubbas when we went.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
A slightly different note, but I was underwhelmed by Emeril's restaurant in New Orleans.

I expected "BAM!", and I got "pop". It was good, just not great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He ordered the fucking buffet. Does no one read around here?

Everyone is trying so hard to bust someone's chops or be a fucking smart ass that they don't bother to read what was written.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Everyone is trying so hard to bust someone's chops or be a fucking smart ass that they don't bother to read what was written.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

moralizing about lemons. you saw it here first.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched anthony bourdain eat at a tiki bar in staten island .
Place looked nice and the wife wanted to try it
We did .....
Ordered a sample platter and some drinks .
pork tasted old , egg rolls were soggy,
bad place to eat....

On the other hand. On the food net they showed a pie place in brooklyn call 420 blackbird
This place has awsome pie's
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#20]
They covered a greek place in Cambridge, MA that was decent. Can't remember the name of it though, but the food was good.

Not good enough to be worth driving through Cambridge for, though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to a place that was redone by "Restaurant Impossible".

The food sucked and the place closed within 4 months after the show redid it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives definitely feature some "not so great" restaurants.

My father went to one that was featured on the show and it was horrible by his account.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You know, to be fair, Ramsey intentionally goes to shitty restaurants for that.

And most of the time the shittiness will resurface when he's gone, because the problems were with the owners all along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amy's baking company is a prime example of this.

You know, to be fair, Ramsey intentionally goes to shitty restaurants for that.

And most of the time the shittiness will resurface when he's gone, because the problems were with the owners all along.

There was a bar here in Tempe (i think) az that was on bar rescue.  Local news did a story on it and found out that the producers and whoever "remodeled" the place didnt apply for any permits or anythign really, so the city shut the place down and now they gotta pretty much take it all down, apply for permits and then put it back up... all to the cost of a a couple $100k.  Guess AZ should stop trying to be on tv reality shows.  lol
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I've not bothered going to Johnny Garlic's even though it's close to my offices.  The menu seems kind of meh.  Also, that's not exactly a "lousy" part of town.  

Quoted:

He lives in Santa Rosa and grew up in Ferndale, but does do a lot in Sac since he gas a restaurant there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That Guy F dude is from around here (Sacramento) I think because he has a restaraunt nearby and I've seen him at a few local events. As such he's done DD&D at a few local places. None that I've been to are particularly amazing, but most have some sort of gimmick that is their claim to fame. One smothers their burgers in cheese and another is a so/so bar that hardly anyone knew served food. I was very unimpressed with the cheeseburger and then some well known local jackass lawyer in a wheelchair shut them down because the ancient building couldn't be made ADA compliant. They were able to open elsewhere but I haven't been there.

Guy's restaurant had pretty danged good food but is in a lousy part of town for a place like that so they closed and reopened with a new schitck. I haven't been since but would like to give it a try. It's supposed to have a garlic theme now rather than a southwest meets Americanized sushi style.

He lives in Santa Rosa and grew up in Ferndale, but does do a lot in Sac since he gas a restaurant there.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Went to a place that was redone by "Restaurant Impossible".

The food sucked and the place closed within 4 months after the show redid it.
View Quote

Must share name.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#26]
The diner he visited near my AO is average at best.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been to Dell Rheas. Deej is right about the place being a hole in the wall. The chicken is the only halfway decent thing on the buffet.

I have been to two other places shown on DDD. One is Paradise Pup in Des Plaines,IL. The burgers there are fantastic. There is usually a line halfway around the building at lunchtime. The other is The Shanty in Wadsworth IL. The food there is good but it has been slipping recently.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
All the places that DDD went to in Syracuse, NY are fantastic.  The wife and I were invited to Kitty Hoynes during the filming and were on the show.  Guy is a douche and isn't even on set the same day as it is filmed, my wife wanted to meet him and was crushed.  The producer asks the patrons the questions during filming and when Guy goes in a few days later they film him as if he was there talking to the customers.  It gets spliced together later in editing for the show.  Those that had to deal with him when he was actually on set said he was a prima donna ahole.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been to a number of Triple D recommends and about half were good the half were so-so. None were ever bad except for one place that did not have the Triple D featured dish available.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The only TV joint I've been to is a place called Red Barn Burger in Seattle, it was on Man v. Food.

They do make a tasty burger... they got this peppery bacon you need to get on it to make it real good though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Does it gross anyone else out the way Guy Fieri pigs out on the food prep line on every Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show?  The fat fuck can't help himself and has to feed his fat ass, on the prep line?!?  That shit would get you fired in a real restaurant.  Also, why does blimpo get away with not wearing a hairnet while cooking food?  

Fuck that Guy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Wait, you got a buffet and were expecting top notch quality?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Watched anthony bourdain eat at a tiki bar in staten island .
Place looked nice and the wife wanted to try it
We did .....
Ordered a sample platter and some drinks .
pork tasted old , egg rolls were soggy,
bad place to eat....

On the other hand. On the food net they showed a pie place in brooklyn call 420 blackbird
This place has awsome pie's
View Quote

"Our whole pies are priced from $38–$40. They are approximately 10 inches in size and serve 8–10 people."

That must be some pie. I get NYC prices but that seems about $20 over priced.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Does it gross anyone else out the way Guy Fieri pigs out on the food prep line on every Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show?  The fat fuck can't help himself and has to feed his fat ass, on the prep line?!?  That shit would get you fired in a real restaurant.  Also, why does blimpo get away with not wearing a hairnet while cooking food?  

Fuck that Guy.
View Quote

Several times I have seen the chefs give him the WTF look while he is snacking on the ingredients they are about to use to make their speciality dish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reading is for (COC violation) didn't you know that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I went to Tubby Dog specifically because of that show, it was an awesome place to eat, good food, interesting atmosphere, except at the end when some douchebag hipsters came in

but until that great!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are usually signs on buffets that read "no sharing" because people steal and give to others at their table.
If this place chooses to charge for lemons, what they did was stealing....like it or not.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Went to a local place called Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket.  I've wanted to go there for a long time.  Found out they have a lobster special for Fridays.

Go there and the lobster special isn't till 4.  We went at around noon.

They wanted to charge my mom for lemons for her drink. I had to take some lemons off the buffet for the fish(I ordered the lunch buffet anyway) so that she wouldn't have to get charged.

The chicken(that they're famous for) wasn't bad but just really meh.  They had pizza on their buffet but it had that crackery consistency to the crust and it just tasted meh.

They had some biscuits that were really not flavorful.

The show it was on? "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."  Guess you can definitely call it a dive.
View Quote

You know that's theft, right? The buffet was for you, not your mother. If you think it's okay, taken to extreme, it's okay to feed your family off one buffet plate? Life doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I went to Zombie Burger in Des Moines when I moved here after seeing it on Man Vs. Food. My only real complaint was that they didn't season the burgers.

The food was decent, but definitely overpriced for the quality.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
1. Don't go to a chicken place for lobster.

2. When did someone from the Food Network go to a restaurant and say, "this really sucks!"
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There was some BBQ place in Kansas City that is part of a convenience store. Lines out the door.. Was ok..... Not worth the wait....

ETA: Oklahoma Joes is the name.
View Quote

Rosedale's, Arthur Bryant's. and Gates are all better than OK Joe's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You know that's theft, right? The buffet was for you, not your mother. If you think it's okay, taken to extreme, it's okay to feed your family off one buffet plate? Life doesn't work that way.
View Quote

(sigh)

I'm sorry.

YES. I STOLE LEMONS FROM A BUFFET FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

No there wasn't any sign.  The waitress made a comment, but didn't throw us out, didn't get the manager involved, didn't call the police.

Not that I'll go back anyway.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

2. When did someone from the Food Network go to a restaurant and say, "this really sucks!"
View Quote

I went to an Alton Brown speech once at the Museum of Science and Industry.  Someone asked Alton if they walked into a place, saw the condition and walked out.

He said "yes."
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Deej,

Now I'm craving a chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes w / gravy and a big bowl of oinions, tomatoes w/ Itialian.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top