Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started drinking my last 5 gallon batch I made of this. My wife said, "you should make more of this, it's the only good mead you've made" and I'm not sure how I should take that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Tasted the wife's mead when I got home on leave--man it was sweet AF.

We are going to let it age until I get back in January and see if it's mellowed any.

Regardless of how it turns out, the wife had fun and it looks like I have a brewing buddy when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently discovered a bottle of JAOM that I made a while back.  The sticker on the bottle says November 2010!

I remember trying it when I bottled it and it was so young/hot that it wasn't very good at all......but its amazing what 9 years has done to it!!!  Super smooth.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently discovered a bottle of JAOM that I made a while back.  The sticker on the bottle says November 2010!

I remember trying it when I bottled it and it was so young/hot that it wasn't very good at all......but its amazing what 9 years has done to it!!!  Super smooth.
View Quote
That's really cool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t care for Meade but I like making it. Wife loves it.

I’ve done a few batches and all have been great
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tasted the wife's mead when I got home on leave--man it was sweet AF.

We are going to let it age until I get back in January and see if it's mellowed any.

Regardless of how it turns out, the wife had fun and it looks like I have a brewing buddy when I get home.
View Quote
The bread yeast isn't great at fermenting stuff. You could try using a different yeast.
If you decide the mead is too sweet for you to drink, don't dump it.  Make another batch and ferment it to dry, and blend the 2 together.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just finished setting up my first JOAM.  Figured it was the easiest recipe that I found after searching so it would be a decent shot at if I can do it.

Will post pics in a bit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple of days in and it is steady bubbling just a bit faster than 1 a second.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I made a 5 gallon batch in Oct. 2012.  Still got about a quart of it or so.  It's not too bad and it packs a wallop.

Take a look at Skeeter Pee if you want some cheap but good alcohol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Figure I’d breath a little life in this thread. Made 2x 1 gallon batches of JAOM yesterday. I’ve been fermenting stuff better part of 20 years, have made traditional meads/wines and tons of beer over the years, among other things. Stupid virus mess has driven me to do more stuff at home. Brewed 2 batches of beer in last 2 weeks and will make 5g of skeeter pee this week sometime.

Honey recipe is same , 2.5lbs clover and 1lb wildflower
Left: blood orange, clove, cinnamon stick, raisins and nutmeg
Right: blood orange, Madagascar vanilla bean, raisins and nutmeg

Bubbling a little over 24hrs now. Will top off closer to neck later in fermentation (few days).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my son’s friends has bees. I have a source for my next batch....
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay. I got my JOAM in the carboy yesterday! Followed the recipe exactly. It’s bubbling once every 4sec. LOL.  Should be good by Christmas. I have another carboy And honey to do another. My hydrometer should be here Thursday. Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to bottle the stuff I have and make some more.  Mine’s been in a corked carbouy since I made it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I need to bottle the stuff I have and make some more.  Mine’s been in a corked carbouy since I made it.
View Quote

I bottled a gallon of mead and 4 gallons of hard cider from last fall over the weekend. Walked by them a million times thinking I should do that and finally did. Mead is not in this pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bottled a gallon of mead and 4 gallons of hard cider from last fall over the weekend. Walked by them a million times thinking I should do that and finally did. Mead is not in this pic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/211099/9B498807-090D-4923-A8B7-482BE34BE445_jpe-1612080.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/211099/9B498807-090D-4923-A8B7-482BE34BE445_jpe-1612080.JPG

My attempt at apfelwein came out more like a hard cider.  That’s sitting in my other carbouy.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top