BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When Embody first posted his 5.45 pistol, I sent him a polite email about 5.45 imports and even a link to the story about what happened with 7.62x39 steel core.

His only response:

"I don't give a shit."
<o:p></o:p>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this work? If someo one were to use 5.45x39 as a pistol, that is a means to ban that from importation?

Someone can buy an AK pistol like a Draco in 7.62x39 and that's good to go.

Can someone put this in lay mans terms please?

No steel core ammo in a pistol. Once a pistol has been made in a caliber, steel core ammo is forbidden/banned.

7.62x39 used to be dirt cheap for the Chinese steel core ammo. Then Olympic Arms ass fucked the American shooters and built a pistol in 7.62x39. ATF ruled it was now a pistol round and banned all import/sale of steel core 7.62x39.

5.45x39 7n6 ammo is steel core. History is repeating itself.

Cant wait to find out who is getting black balled

When Embody first posted his 5.45 pistol, I sent him a polite email about 5.45 imports and even a link to the story about what happened with 7.62x39 steel core.

His only response:

"I don't give a shit."
<o:p></o:p>

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to laugh really hard at all of you panic buying when this turns out to be nothing more than a mall ninja receptionist with a completely wrong understanding of office events. It's either that or they responded that way because you guys asked about "steel core" and of course they'd say thats not going to happen because they remember the 7.62x39 import ban. When in reality 7N6 is perfectly fine because it doesn't meet the same definitions.

You just have to understand how government agencies work to understand this is no big deal. Its just them covering their ass by saying of course we wont let you import steel core ammo... when in reality they never specifically said 7N6. Until they publish something that specifically targets the surplus we shoot, I call BS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible that a US ammo maker might start making 5.45?

I was wanting to one day have a 5.45 carbine upper one day. I guess that's not happening now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm going to laugh really hard at all of you panic buying when this turns out to be nothing more than a mall ninja receptionist with a completely wrong understanding of office events. It's either that or they responded that way because you guys asked about "steel core" and of course they'd say thats not going to happen because they remember the 7.62x39 import ban. When in reality 7N6 is perfectly fine because it doesn't meet the same definitions.

You just have to understand how government agencies work to understand this is no big deal. Its just them covering their ass by saying of course we wont let you import steel core ammo... when in reality they never specifically said 7N6. Until they publish something that specifically targets the surplus we shoot, I call BS.
View Quote

I wish I had your optimism.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well...at least the AK74 parts kits and surplus mags are going to finally come back down in price....

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]

I've got $100 donation for any company that seriously challenges this in court.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope you are 100% right....but I doubt you are.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was wanting to one day have a 5.45 carbine upper one day. I guess that's not happening now.
View Quote

Hornady already does:

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39-60-gr-V-MAX-Steel-Case/

And as only the primed cases are imported, this particular ammunition will likely be available for a long time to come  - granted, at a much much higher price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

of course, but not for .15 a rnd...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Chicom 7.62 steel core was literally all steel core.

7n6 has a sizeable and deliberate (not trace amount) lead component in the core and does not meet the parameters in the clause Chicom 7.62 was banned under.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll admit surprise that the ATF has gone this far out on a limb, because at this point a first-year law student could beat them black and blue over this in court.  

I presume you're volunteering your services.

While your at it, please overturn the determination that 7.62X39 cartridges with steel in the bullet core is armor piercing, too. It should be a breeze, since the determination has been made under the same subparagraph.

Thanks and Good Luck ...

7n6 has a sizeable and deliberate (not trace amount) lead component in the core and does not meet the parameters in the clause Chicom 7.62 was banned under.

You don't know what your posting about.
Chinese made surplus has a lead sleeve around the steel insert. I know this because I have cut some apart.
Soviet M43 (which incidently is what the Chinese copied) has a lead sleeve as well. From the Soviet AK Service Manual page 139, "The bullet in the ball cartridge M1943 consists of a steel tombac-plated jacket, lead sleeve, and steel core."
Have you seen any surplus Soviet era 7.62X39 cartridges which were imported recently?
Wonder why not?
It's because importation is banned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
AIM sold 440 cans within 1/2 hr.

USAC, who claims to be the retail arm of a major importer, had well over 1500 tins listed this morning and now show out of stock.

I'm scared.

Edit: think it was all sold, not pulled, after seeing all this shit going out of stock crazy-like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]

PSA still has some.

I just ordered a couple more just a minute ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
psa 5.45

ETA:  Either PSA just sold out in 5 minutes flat or they pulled what they had (or didn't have that much to start with).
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Chinese made surplus has a lead sleeve around the steel insert. I know this because I have cut some apart.
Soviet M43 (which incidently is what the Chinese copied) has a lead sleeve as well. From the Soviet AK Service Manual page 139, "The bullet in the ball cartridge M1943 consists of a steel tombac-plated jacket, lead sleeve, and steel core."
Have you seen any surplus Soviet era 7.62X39 cartridges which were imported recently?
Wonder why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll admit surprise that the ATF has gone this far out on a limb, because at this point a first-year law student could beat them black and blue over this in court.  

While your at it, please overturn the determination that 7.62X39 cartridges with steel in the bullet core is armor piercing, too. It should be a breeze, since the determination has been made under the same subparagraph.

Thanks and Good Luck ...

Wonder why not?

And has anybody bothered to challenge that ruling, since the deliberately included lead component makes it obvious that it doesn't fit the definition it was banned under?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No steel core ammo in a pistol. Once a pistol has been made in a caliber, steel core ammo is forbidden/banned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this work? If someo one were to use 5.45x39 as a pistol, that is a means to ban that from importation?

so those with pistols can't shoot 5.45 in them from now on?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All the big dealers started pulling their listings.

Either AIM sold over 440 tins in 30 minutes or they pulled it.

USAC, who claims to be the retail arm of a major importer, had well over 1500 tins listed this morning and now show out of stock.

I'm scared.
View Quote

Aim sold over 10k cans in like 3 days of 5.45 a couple weeks back.

People aren't messing around anymore.

I am sure there are going to be some price changes and "pulling" of stock.  Can't really blame some of the vendors.  They have bills to pay.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm scared.
View Quote

Willing to bet they sold it.
Don't underestimate the power of a panic on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 5.45X39MM PISTOL
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Lol @ aim's mass marketing email that just popped up in my inbox.  Ain't no 5.45 to be had this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

ETA:  Either PSA just sold out in 5 minutes flat or they pulled what they had (or didn't have that much to start with).
View Quote

Aaaaand its gone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Palmetto....  JUST went out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

View Quote

Shows out of stock when you try to order
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

View Quote

and gone
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

View Quote

Out of stock now.

J&G still has some.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

Might wanna tell Desirae that
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

but it's legal to shoot them with rifles i assume?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am sure there are going to be some price changes and "pulling" of stock.  Can't really blame some of the vendors.  They have bills to pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm scared.

I wouldn't blame them at all. It wouldn't make sense to sell shit now for less than you'd have to buy it back at from an importer. Also, the markup on 5.45x39 is next to nothing and turnover isn't well either, so it hardly even helps them to carry it.

Quoted:

Certainly could be, either way, high prices seem to be inbound. I'm worried as to whether they know something for sure that we don't, if they did pull it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Aaaaand its gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

is it all 5.45 or just 7n6?
View Quote

Looks like we are getting played with on that answer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#30]
The Irony is you no longer have to wait for congress or the president to attack your civil rights

ATF can just ambush them at their leisure
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm scared.

This. As soon as the rumor was confirmed, I started hunting. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I managed to snag a couple more cases. There goes my ammo budget for the summer...

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And has anybody bothered to challenge that ruling, since the deliberately included lead component makes it obvious that it doesn't fit the definition it was banned under?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks and Good Luck ...

Wonder why not?

If not, you'll be the first, right?

Do you know the the standard of review for an agency determination like this?
Do you know how difficult it is to meet that standard and get such a determination overturned?
Have you tried and succeeded? Have you tried and failed? Have you represented an agency charged with making such determinations?

If you're not an experienced expert in these matters I suggest you do some studying, before posting your opinion.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Upped the price $20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.

Neckbearding 101
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repeat after me:

I don't think you understand me...

There is no such thing as a 5.45x39mm pistol. Never has been. Anyone who says otherwise should be silenced.

Now, the ammo feeds just fine through 5.45x39mm rifles and (registered NFA) short barreled rifles.

But there is not now, nor has there ever been, such a thing as as 5.45x39mm pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Just watched ammotogo dwindle to 5 cans in stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Upped the price $20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.

The gouging has begun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just 7N6.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

View Quote

shows back in stock

military shooters has it too
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The gouging has begun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.

The gouging has begun.

LOL... Fucking no shame at PSA
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
psa 5.45

View Quote

They didn't have very much. I checked out with 1 earlier no problem. saw how fast this was getting real shitty, went back for more tried for 50 and it said nope, punched in 9 and checked the fuck out. This shit is re-damn-diculous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Glad to see you are concerned and on point....finally.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody submitted a pistol in that caliber to determine if its legal to import....  Just what I heard..Don't take it as Gospel

So the NSSF is spinning up a lawsuit to get an injunction, right?  Since submitting a pistol in 5.45 doesn't have jack-shit to do with the law.

Glad to see you are concerned and on point....finally.  

Because the whole "I know people, but cant say nuthin" really lends credibility to an argument.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.

The gouging has begun.

It will sell out at $399 a case.  Jump on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Guys I have 2-1080rd cans. I will sell for $900 each. Let me know .

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's just 7N6.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just 7N6.

I know.

I was obtusely commenting on the game being played to move the commercial stuff (by more than one vendor, in multiple threads).
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Sportsman's Guide still has some. Price is higher per tin, but a lot of people use coupons for free shipping or $ off.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1551241
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Neckbearding 101
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
psa 5.45

Aaaaand its gone.

Upped the price $20.

Neckbearding 101

Lol!   I tried placing an order for it half an hour ago, was able to add it to my cart.  Tried to check out, and I got the "out of stock" notification.

Just went back, and YEP.... In stock and $20 higher.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Guys I have 2-1080rd cans. I will sell for $900 each. Let me know .

Got a couple cans, 875$

View Quote

Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top