User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you don't want to shift gears, then you will be missing out on a good bit of the potential of the Wrangler (assuming that is what you want). Being able to selct the correct gear is a real blessing, unless all you plan to do with it is drive on-road. YMMV.

I miss my 5 speed Wrangler.

The auto is wayyyyy better off road. Manuals need more gears to compete. This is particularly true in a steep hill clim.

When shifting gears with a standard on a steep slope, you are risking a rapid decent backwards if you miss the shift. And if you stall, you will want to start your standard in gear, using the starter to move you up the slope (hard on starters--and the reason they offer heavy duty starters as upgrades on popular off road rigs). Note that any system forcing you to start with the clutch in is a bad thing on a 4x4 that is intended for serious off roading.

+1 for auto being more capable off road.  

Manual is fun but auto is way easier to drive, 4lo with auto and walk right up anything that your clearance and tires can handle.

Most the pros (rock crawlers) drive autos these days.

And BTW, the I6 has been around for 30 years, it's a bullet proof design.  Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Only in a Jeep.

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok..rubicon too much $$...I edit my last thread....if you are interested in doing any serious off road...get a '97 or later TJ.w/V6...long arm suspension kit, lockers front and rear....will be able to out perform Rubicon for 1/2 the cost

V6?

Hehe, he means that POS Mopar I6. When AEV puts in the Hemi, they actually IMPROVE mileage over the I6.

The Jeep I6 is an excellent engine. Mine has over 300k miles with no problems. It used to get 18 - 25 MPG, before the lift, big tires, roof rack, etc.

+1  I got 300k+ miles out of my last Cherokee ....

My I-6 happens to sit in a Cherokee, and it now has 303k on it. Runs good, but the Peugeot BA-10 5 speed is going to go sometime soon, the syncros are slowly going out . . .

Should have gotten the auto. When the Peugeot finally dies I'm going to drop in a NV-4500 5 speed. Upgrading to an auto sounds daunting . . .
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1 for auto being more capable off road.  

Manual is fun but auto is way easier to drive, 4lo with auto and walk right up anything that your clearance and tires can handle.

Most the pros (rock crawlers) drive autos these days.

And BTW, the I6 has been around for 30 years, it's a bullet proof design.  Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Only in a Jeep.

Exactly correct.

The people who don't like autos are either old timers who haven't learned new tricks, or immature macho wannabes. Autos rule.

The 4.0L is one fine truck engine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Manual trannys are great until your knee pops & clicks more than the Jeep.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ok..rubicon too much $$...I edit my last thread....if you are interested in doing any serious off road...get a '97 or later TJ.w/V6...long arm suspension kit, lockers front and rear....will be able to out perform Rubicon for 1/2 the cost

Dude, Jeeps have an inline 4.0L 6 cyl.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Should have gotten the auto. When the Peugeot finally dies I'm going to drop in a NV-4500 5 speed. Upgrading to an auto sounds daunting . . .

Have you ever seen an NV4500? The things are farking huge. You'd have a much easier time swapping an AW4 into a Cherokee than an NV4500.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NV4500 is sweet and I have plans to swap one into my Scrambler, but I have more room and options than someone with a uni-body Jeep.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Manual trannys are great until your knee pops & clicks more than the Jeep.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/gregw45/JEEP.jpg

AMEN to that! My daily driver is a 93'  5spd, 4 cyl (Better than no Jeep at all!),  and while it does fine off the road, it is a pain in the ass going to & from work.  I am thinking my next Jeep is going to be the Rubicon Umlimited with an auto tranny & A/C!!!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top