Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A guy I work with has a SOCOM, and after about 100 rds, the front sight mount actually cracked and damn near fell completely off. I've been wanting one to keep my AR-10 company, but I think I'll pass.

that's exactly what happened to my second one and it did fall off
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
So all of you getting the AR10....which one of the companies was it (Armalite or Bushmaster) that announced it was stopping production on that rifle.

parts are gonna be fun to get.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster stopped making theirs. Armalite's are still in production.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So all of you getting the AR10....which one of the companies was it (Armalite or Bushmaster) that announced it was stopping production on that rifle.

The AR-10 is Armalite.  AR-10 is NOT a generic name for a 308 AR.  Armalite makes the AR-10.  Bushmaster makes the BAR-10.  DPMS makes somthing else and all their parts do not interchange.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
This is the first I have heard of all this M-14 stuff.  I was really thinking about getting one.  Now I have changed my mind and will go with an FAL carbine.

I have a full size FAL and love the crap out of it.  It loves any ammo except for the cheap gun exploding Pakistainie crap that everyone told me not to use but since I paid for it I use it anyway.  I just check the weight and bullet seating of every round I intend to fire at the range, before I go to insure I don't have a dud/overcharged/sunken bullet.  That jams like crazy.  But all other ammo is fine in it.

I had an AR-10.  Thing never jammed on me and was a beautiful rifle.  I had to part with it for money reasons.  But my FAL is comforting me well.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR-10 is Armalite.  AR-10 is NOT a generic name for a 308 AR.  Armalite makes the AR-10.  Bushmaster makes the BAR-10.  DPMS makes somthing else and all their parts do not interchange.

Actually, Bushmaster had to change the name on their .308 AR.  Also, you said "Bushmaster makes".  Change that to "Bushmaster MADE", as in past tense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeesh, bummer on the problems Twonami.

My two recent production M1as are going strong.

Edit: That hasn't stopped me from trying to replace the major parts assemblies with GI. Really the "only" ones I have left to do are the bolts.   I do have plenty of extractors though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeez.........get a FAL. Problem over.

+1

Well.... I just got a DSA SA58 that is giving me some issues.  It may be going back soon.  Every so often I have to use the "boot heal" extraction method.  Sometimes it fails to strip the next round.  Sometimes you can't see any signs that it tried to extract the case at all.  Chamber leaves marks on the brass like it was made out of sandpaper.  Bolt can actually stop half-way forward and be left there with no other outside help.  You have to push the carrier with your fingers to get it past that point.

It's not at the top of my reliability scale right now.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Should have bought a LRB
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Should have bought a LRB

You mean

"Should have refinanced your house and foregone the new car for two years to pay for an LRB"  

LRBs are spendy!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No problem at all with mine but it is a '93 with all TRW parts.To each his own but why would you want a 16" barrel on a .308 battle rifle???

Doesn't the SCAR H have a barrel 16" or less ?

Granted, it may be classified as a 'special use' rifle instead of a 'battle rifle'.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Should have bought a LRB

Or a Poly for for about $600 (although may need USGI bolt and headspacing work, $250).
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could just stop reading these threads! I have $200 down on a NIB SA M1A Standard in black. I put it on law-away last month and intend(ed) to pay more on it this month and pay it off next month. But daaaayyyyyuuuuummmmm... I have read too many of these threads to be comfortable with my choice at this point. So my options are to buy the thing and be sick when it falls apart (this is my first large gun purchase sincy buying my Bushy 20" A2 3 years ago). Or I could go with the PTR-91 that I had decided-on before changing to the M1A. Or I'm also thinking about getting a Bushy M-4gery and foregoing the .308 rifle deal altogether! I have wanted a carbine for years, but I decided that I should get a .308 battle rifle instead. And I wanted something good for reaching-out there a ways. So the PTR wasn't the best choice and I don't like the looks of the FAL. And I had heard too many horror stories about the AR-10. And I can't afford a better brand of M1A. So right now it's looking like the only SAFE bet for me is to either get the standard-length PTR and deal with limited ranges and weird [to me] scope mounting, or just go .223 carbine (with some cool bling) and forget the whole big bore deal. This is stressing me out!!!  

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I wish I could just stop reading these threads! I have $200 down on a NIB SA M1A Standard in black. I put it on law-away last month and intend(ed) to pay more on it this month and pay it off next month. But daaaayyyyyuuuuummmmm... I have read too many of these threads to be comfortable with my choice at this point. So my options are to buy the thing and be sick when it falls apart (this is my first large gun purchase sincy buying my Bushy 20" A2 3 years ago). Or I could go with the PTR-91 that I had decided-on before changing to the M1A. Or I'm also thinking about getting a Bushy M-4gery and foregoing the .308 rifle deal altogether! I have wanted a carbine for years, but I decided that I should get a .308 battle rifle instead. And I wanted something good for reaching-out there a ways. So the PTR wasn't the best choice and I don't like the looks of the FAL. And I had heard too many horror stories about the AR-10. And I can't afford a better brand of M1A. So right now it's looking like the only SAFE bet for me is to either get the standard-length PTR and deal with limited ranges and weird [to me] scope mounting, or just go .223 carbine (with some cool bling) and forget the whole big bore deal. This is stressing me out!!!  

You need an MBR.

Just get a polytech and check the headspace.

Then you'll have enough money left over to get a FAL, or an M4, or a PTR-91.

Polytech prices  are starting to move up, twice the rifle a current SAI is at half the price, and people are starting to realize it.

Same goes for the FAL, good builds are excellent rifles and half what a SAI M1A costs.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This cannot be.  In every "AR10 is a piece of shit" thread, the M1A is always touted as perfect.

+1  WTF over?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I sure hope so. I am allegedly getting one next week. Man, threads like this give me the willies.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need an MBR.

Just get a polytech and check the headspace.

Then you'll have enough money left over to get a FAL, or an M4, or a PTR-91.

Polytech prices  are starting to move up, twice the rifle a current SAI is at half the price, and people are starting to realize it.

Same goes for the FAL, good builds are excellent rifles and half what a SAI M1A costs.

I'd sure like to, but the problem is that I already put that $200 down at my dealer. And he's had the SAI M1A sitting in back for me for a month now. So it's not going to work for me to wander in there and just tell him I want my $200 back no questions asked. But he does sell Bushy AR's and PTR-91's. So I'm sure I could just get him to "trade" my lay-away for me for one of those two rifles. Or I could maybe put it towards some South African .308 ammo that he has in boxes. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the first of these threads I have found and I find this exceptionally sad news...

I have several .308s but have never owned any of the M1-derivatives or any of the AR-based .308s (I've shot many, but never owned one).  One or the other was in my purchasing plans for next year and the SOCOM was the most appealing to me.  I am very glad I read this, as disheartening as I find it...

Thanks, twonami and others, for sharing your unfortunate experiences with us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This cannot be.  In every "AR10 is a piece of shit" thread, the M1A is always touted as perfect.

+1  WTF over?

- 1 All the ones I see are "yeah well the M14 was the shortest lived service rifle for a reason" - among other things!

It's all what website you read it on. M14 forums will obviously have a different slant on things.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yeah those cast bolts just ain't holding up are they?

When SA ran out of USGI parts, the party was over.

Glad all my M1As are pre89.

+1
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  WTF over?

- 1 All the ones I see are "yeah well the M14 was the shortest lived service rifle for a reason" - among other things!

It's all what website you read it on. M14 forums will obviously have a different slant on things.

I was referring to the AR10 forums on this board.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I always say the same thing about M1s, M14s, AR10s........shoulda got a FAL.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
This is only anecdotal, but my M1a gave me problems right out of the box.  Specifically, the rear sight elevation would change under recoil.  Didn't matter how much you tightened it.  That, and the fact that it makes for an awfully clumsy platform if you scope it, pretty much spoiled it for me.

Too bad, cuz it would reliably shoot Federal GM Match into under one MOA.  Traded it in for a FAL, which isn't nearly as accurate, but handles a lot better.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I always say the same thing about M1s, M14s, AR10s........shoulda got a FAL.

Instead, I got 4 AR10s.  I guess I should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#25]
<PAGING dpmmn>

"What you need, sir, is an LRB"

Twonami, now post it FS in Equipment Exchange after telling everyone it doesn't work...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine is a Winchester kit on an early SA receiver --back when SA still forged them. Nowadays I hear they are using cast recievers and cast non-USGI parts -- the result: cracking and breaking parts and problems w/function. Too bad that some factory in Croatia can turn out a better firearm than SA can do in house  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Mine is a Winchester kit on an early SA receiver --back when SA still forged them. Nowadays I hear they are using cast recievers and cast non-USGI parts -- the result: cracking and breaking parts and problems w/function. Too bad that some factory in Croatia can turn out a better firearm than SA can do in house  

Commercial Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A receivers have never been made by forging.  With the exception of two 1991 experimental receivers machined from billet, all SA, Inc. receivers have been investment cast.  Here's my NFA Registered investment cast full auto M1A:

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
<snip>
Boom, Boom, Boom, "Tink" WTF was that? I look on the ground and the front sight has broken off with the screw still intact and the machined part broken off. <snip>

Friends did the same thing the 11 th. time he fired it.

On another note...

M1A SA Nat. Match sitting on bench five feet from here, about 800 rds. down the tube.
Bolt roller clip came out locked bolt, had one hell of a time getting op rod out. A NM front sight and semi-heavy barrel is all I see it has. Price was $1700. It's not mine thankfully.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my closest  friends has just recently purchased a SOCOM 16. He has about 500 rounds through it ( if I am remembering correctly)  with no major issues yet.  I hope this doesn't happen to him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#31]
However my .308 Bushy has been an exceptional rifle for me, reliable and accurate. I guess there's a flower in this pile of manure. "Knock on wood plastic"
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
My M1A is a dandy. Accurate and reliable. Built around 1986 with all G.I. parts. I still prefer the FAL, and shoot the FAL much more often.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Well.... I just got a DSA SA58 that is giving me some issues. It may be going back soon. Every so often I have to use the "boot heal" extraction method. Sometimes it fails to strip the next round. Sometimes you can't see any signs that it tried to extract the case at all. Chamber leaves marks on the brass like it was made out of sandpaper. Bolt can actually stop half-way forward and be left there with no other outside help. You have to push the carrier with your fingers to get it past that point.

It's not at the top of my reliability scale right now.

Check the gas system, check where the rails ride in the receiver, check the head space(two thumbs at the most). FALs don't break in till about a thousand rounds. Go to the FalFiles, lots of experts over there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#34]
My Fulton is running strong, no problem with it what so ever.  I was going to get an SA M-21 but instead I just had FA build me one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wow, glad I read this.  I was thinking of getting that exact gun. You saved me a bunch of research and potential head/heartache, thanks.

BIG +1
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#36]
sometimes I wonder why I even come back here......sheesshh...its been a long time since this place has been relavent...............
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
sometimes I wonder why I even come back here......sheesshh...its been a long time since this place has been relavent...............

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Should have bought a LRB

You mean

"Should have refinanced your house and foregone the new car for two years to pay for an LRB"  

LRBs are spendy!

Mine wasn't any more than a New SA. Reciever was $550, CMP Parts under $200 18" barrel$150, Misc parts another $150 & $200 For the gunsmith! He said the LRB was the easiest reciecer he has ever assembled. My Entreprise Reciever was returned (out of  spec).

As far as im concerned, money well spent & spent only once!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
FALs don't break in till about a thousand rounds.

This simply CANNOT be! The holy grails of perfection in firearms (FAL & Glock) simply CANNOT break... EVER!

Actually, I'm in the mood to live "risky" today. The local M14/M1A experts seem to be telling me that by replacing the SAI extractor with a USGI one right away, your chances of exploding your bolt go down drastically. Yeah, it's LAME that I have to replace ANY part at all on a $1400 NEW gun. But I'm determined to have an M1A no matter what, and I already have money down on this thing. If I didn't, I'd probably look for a Polytech or something. IF she works-out for me... she's going to be my favorite gun. If not, then she's going up for sale after repair...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Ummmmmm... yyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhhh...

Did you get the memo on the TPS reports?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#41]
If you want a well built, reliable and solid Semi-auto M14, go LRB Arms.

So they claim:
"LRB, MANUFACTURER OF THE ONLY AMERICAN MADE, GENUINE HAMMER FORGED, SEMI AUTO M14 RECEIVER"

True, AFAIK.
I don't think Fulton's are hammer forged.

LRB uses all forged receivers and bolts, they are built like tanks, not the high-priced cast crap SA pawns off on unsuspecting people. I'm not knocking SA on all their products, but their M1A is WAAAAAY overpriced for what it is.  I have a close friend bought of their M14SA rifles a few years ago, and that rifle is absolutely as work of fine American craftsmanship, and a joy to shoot.

Thier new Hammer Forged M25 receiver even has a integral 1913 (picatinny) rail on the receiver.

LRB is quite expensive, but it will last a lifetime, and it will run. At least you get something for your money. $1200-$1500 for a Springfield Armopry Cast rifle that doesn't work or last is a waste of money, lifetime warranty notwithstanding.

They do SOCOM, Traditional, Scout configurations and barreled actions as well as stripped hammer forged receivers.

RECEIVERS

We are proud to introduce our new LRB ARMS M14SA semi auto receiver for M14 enthusiasts who demand the very best.  Our receivers are the first commercially manufactured, American made, GENUINE FORGED, M14 receiver to be produced since the early 1960's.  Following original Rock Island Arsenal blueprints, our receivers are machined from extruded SAE 8620 steel bar stock, which is cut into ingots (pictured below), heated and hammer forged into shape.  The forgings are then CNC machined on state of the art, computer controlled equipment, with tolerances held to one thousandth of an inch.  Receivers are heat treated to the following mil-spec:  Carburized to case dept of .012 to .018.  Core: Rockwell hardness C28 to C42.  Surface: Rockwell hardness C52 to C55.  Finally, receivers are parkerized to mil- spec, with detail to color and finish, matching the originals.  The end result is, a true reproduction of an original M14 receiver in a semi auto configuration, which will consistantly deliver tack driving accuracy and performance... year, after year, after year!    

M14SA Parts kit - All USGI except new Criterion barrel - add only stripped receiver.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
that's the reason i bought a polytech instead. EVERY new SA m1a i have seen at the range for the last 2 years has had similar problems. every damn one of them.

You know - I will always regret selling that rifle. I bought it in what? 1994? $350. Sold it to my brother-in-law for $600 back in '03 to buy my first AR. He's ALWAYS wanted that rifle, it's all he could talk about. I figured it would stay "in the family" at least.

Moron traded it in EVEN MONEY for a Saiga conversion AK.

[Edited for spelling]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought a new SA Standard M1A around Christmas 2003 and fortunately it has a GI barrel, but that's it as far as USGI parts. It has never given me a problem and I hope that streak continues. I had read tons about Springfield's QC issues at the time, but the chance came to get an M1A and I jumped on it. I liked the walnut stock, but I replaced it with a USGI fiberglass stock that I painted woodland camo.

The subject of SA's quality control is as volitile a subject at Battlerifles.com as Colt threads are here.

As far as those Chinese M14s that I used to see at guns shows, I wish I could go back in time and buy every one of them. They were dirt cheap and I remember saying that I'd never have one of those pieces of crap. I do believe that the bolts on those rifles have issues.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#44]
You have to know how to pick them or build them. Here are a couple of mine.

DOW,
For what it's worth, seeing a small bit of daylight is not that unusaul on a real M14 with a GI synthetic
stock either. Half of the ones in my armory were the same way.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I have had an AR10A2, AR10A4, and a 10T. ALL had FTE problems. The A4 went back to Armalite three times, and the last time it came back with a letter by Mark Westrom, stating that he personally worked on it, and, that it worked fine, well guess what, it still didn't run right. I now own no AR10's, despite my screen name.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Let's see now. I've got over 2500 rounds through mine without a single misfeed or malfunction.

Quoted:
As some of you know my ownage of the SA SOCOM 16 has been a soap opera of back and forth to the repair center and the store.
It started out on 9/11 and I wanted a new rifle why not a SA M-1A type SOCOM 16. The first time It fired it was fine till it started warming up. After about half a magazine it would fail to extract and this was a new mag or old mag, ammo type didn't matter. the gun would cool down and the same thing would happen all over again.....extraction problems.
The gun was returned to SA and they replaced the entire bolt.

The first time I shot the gun after I got it back it fired but didn't extract, WTF? I looked at the bolt and it had disintegrated? The famous disintegrating SA bolt, great All this from a new gun

So I return the gun to the shop and they switch it out with a whole new unit, they are pissed as am I, oh well I'm pretty patient.

Today I go shooting and boom, boom, boom no problems. Temps are about the same when the bolt fell apart and everything is going good till my last 2 magazines.
Boom, Boom, Boom, "Tink" WTF was that? I look on the ground and the front sight has broken off with the screw still intact and the machined part broken off. FUUUUUCCKing piece of shit.
Today it went back and I got another bushy instead.
I have had it with SA and their SOCOM 16 and I don't trust their line of M1-A rifles. Everyone says get USGI parts but this is a new fucking rifle and should not be falling apart like this.
That is all

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Let's see now. I've got over 2500 rounds through mine without a single misfeed or malfunction.

Quoted:
As some of you know my ownage of the SA SOCOM 16 has been a soap opera of back and forth to the repair center and the store.
It started out on 9/11 and I wanted a new rifle why not a SA M-1A type SOCOM 16. The first time It fired it was fine till it started warming up. After about half a magazine it would fail to extract and this was a new mag or old mag, ammo type didn't matter. the gun would cool down and the same thing would happen all over again.....extraction problems.
The gun was returned to SA and they replaced the entire bolt.

The first time I shot the gun after I got it back it fired but didn't extract, WTF? I looked at the bolt and it had disintegrated? The famous disintegrating SA bolt, great All this from a new gun

So I return the gun to the shop and they switch it out with a whole new unit, they are pissed as am I, oh well I'm pretty patient.

Today I go shooting and boom, boom, boom no problems. Temps are about the same when the bolt fell apart and everything is going good till my last 2 magazines.
Boom, Boom, Boom, "Tink" WTF was that? I look on the ground and the front sight has broken off with the screw still intact and the machined part broken off. FUUUUUCCKing piece of shit.
Today it went back and I got another bushy instead.
I have had it with SA and their SOCOM 16 and I don't trust their line of M1-A rifles. Everyone says get USGI parts but this is a new fucking rifle and should not be falling apart like this.
That is all

you got lucky
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

DOW,
For what it's worth, seeing a small bit of daylight is not that unusaul on a real M14 with a GI synthetic
stock either. Half of the ones in my armory were the same way.

Half an inch or so forward of the rear of the receiver a slight gap is acceptable and normal, but the butt end  of the receiver's heel is supposed to be in firm contact with the stock as I understand it. Visible light under the entire heel of the receiver is a no-no from what I'm told.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you want a well built, reliable and solid Semi-auto M14, go LRB Arms.

So they claim:
"LRB, MANUFACTURER OF THE ONLY AMERICAN MADE, GENUINE HAMMER FORGED, SEMI AUTO M14 RECEIVER"

True, AFAIK.
I don't think Fulton's are hammer forged.

LRB uses all forged receivers and bolts, they are built like tanks, not the high-priced cast crap SA pawns off on unsuspecting people. I'm not knocking SA on all their products, but their M1A is WAAAAAY overpriced for what it is.  I have a close friend bought of their M14SA rifles a few years ago, and that rifle is absolutely as work of fine American craftsmanship, and a joy to shoot.

Thier new Hammer Forged M25 receiver even has a integral 1913 (picatinny) rail on the receiver.

LRB is quite expensive, but it will last a lifetime, and it will run. At least you get something for your money. $1200-$1500 for a Springfield Armopry Cast rifle that doesn't work or last is a waste of money, lifetime warranty notwithstanding.

www.lrbarms.com/images/600_M25_heel.JPG

www.lrbarms.com/images/570_DSCN0423.jpg

www.lrbarms.com/images/570_M14_Tanker.JPG

www.lrbarms.com/images/270_M14_barreled_action_2.JPG

They do SOCOM, Traditional, Scout configurations and barreled actions as well as stripped hammer forged receivers.

RECEIVERS

We are proud to introduce our new LRB ARMS M14SA semi auto receiver for M14 enthusiasts who demand the very best.  Our receivers are the first commercially manufactured, American made, GENUINE FORGED, M14 receiver to be produced since the early 1960's.  Following original Rock Island Arsenal blueprints, our receivers are machined from extruded SAE 8620 steel bar stock, which is cut into ingots (pictured below), heated and hammer forged into shape.  The forgings are then CNC machined on state of the art, computer controlled equipment, with tolerances held to one thousandth of an inch.  Receivers are heat treated to the following mil-spec:  Carburized to case dept of .012 to .018.  Core: Rockwell hardness C28 to C42.  Surface: Rockwell hardness C52 to C55.  Finally, receivers are parkerized to mil- spec, with detail to color and finish, matching the originals.  The end result is, a true reproduction of an original M14 receiver in a semi auto configuration, which will consistantly deliver tack driving accuracy and performance... year, after year, after year!    

www.lrbarms.com/images/330_m14%20forging.jpg

M14SA Parts kit - All USGI except new Criterion barrel - add only stripped receiver.
www.lrbarms.com/images/270_M14_parts_kit.JPG

Holy shit.  I live right near there!  I can't belive I never noticed that before.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You have to know how to pick them or build them.

This is wisdom.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top