View Quote
Don't laugh too hard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
glad to hear the procedure was a success

now you can get to work on getting back in shape
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they mention blockage in other cardiac arteries?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ack.  Get well soon, sir!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you're still with us.

Is there any simple imaging procedure that can detect this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Did they do the stent through the groin or your wrist?  Ive heard the wrist is becoming more frequently used and certainly sounds easier/more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lying felt on your back  
View Quote
Yeah, lying felt on my back. I hate when that happens.

I am pleased that it fent well fo you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
DK-Prof: Take it easy for a while. That incision on your wrist is fragile and you are on blood thinners now. What used to be minor boo boos can quickly get out of hand. Be cool, be safe, be thankful. And realize that things have changed more so than you might yet understand.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DK-Prof: Take it easy for a while. That incision on your wrist is fragile and you are on blood thinners now. What used to be minor boo boos can quickly get out of hand. Be cool, be safe, be thankful. And realize that things have changed more so than you might yet understand.
View Quote
What HBR is trying to say is to PLEASE close the drawers more carefully now...  
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.  

I seem to be fine now.  In the cath lab, they found one of the primary coronary arteries (the “widow maker” - left anterior descending) was 95% blocked.  So they put in a stent, and are expecting everything to be fine.  I’m going to be on some blood thinning medication for about a year, and I think they’re putting me on an anti-cholesterol drug as well.

It’s all a little odd, since I am not really a likely candidate for heart disease. There’s none of it in my family, and cholesterol has never been an issue in my annual physicals.  I get a lot of exercise (running, biking, lifting).  In the past six-seven months I haven’t been working out as much as usual, and have maybe put on 5-10 lbs, but that’s it.  Weird.  My wife’s family history is full of heart disease, but my family is all about the cancer so this was pretty surprising.

It does seem that I ALMOST has a massive heart attack Monday - which would likely have killed me - so the stress test was definitely a good idea.  Good thing that my wife pestered me to see our doctor when I started getting the chest pain.  

The hope is that I will be going home today, but the might keep me until tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the positive thoughts!  I really appreciate it  
View Quote
Holy shit, I didn’t see this until now. Glad you’re ok man. At least you’ll be able to see Pacific Rim 2!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just rode 20 mikes on my road bike (prob about 18 mph average).  Felt good.  No chest pain.  

Shoulder is still not 100%, but hopefully I can start lifting again soon.
View Quote
Yay!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Very good to hear.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL?

ETA:  Seriously, though, glad that you are home and standing once again.  Sending good vibes your way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been limping around for ages and post surgical clutching around for over a month. My jock son has already chided that I once had big legs, now I look like a shore bird.

I’m a pathetic sack of crap.

I’ve lost almost 20 pounds, not all in a good way. Oddly enough, I’m approachin4g (my opinion) my ideal weight, but my body composition is for shit.

Take solace in the fact that I probably suck beyond your imagining.

There, that’s my boost for your already prodigious self-esteem. You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you, seriously.

It’s very important for me to constantly remind myself that I could be much, much worse off.  Heck, I almost died 10 weeks ago.  That would have sucked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been limping around for ages and post surgical clutching around for over a month. My jock son has already chided that I once had big legs, now I look like a shore bird.

I’m a pathetic sack of crap.

I’ve lost almost 20 pounds, not all in a good way. Oddly enough, I’m approachin4g (my opinion) my ideal weight, but my body composition is for shit.

Take solace in the fact that I probably suck beyond your imagining.

There, that’s my boost for your already prodigious self-esteem. You’re welcome.
Thank you, seriously.

It’s very important for me to constantly remind myself that I could be much, much worse off.  Heck, I almost died 10 weeks ago.  That would have sucked.
Yeah me too. I want to bellyache that I’m probably not going to run any more marathons, but even limping around is better than some folks can do. Plenty of folks have it much worse than me.

ETA thanks for not kicking the bucket, by the way. This place is better for you being in it (and the people about which I say that are few in number).
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy shit dude.  I'm glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for not dying OP. We rely on you as a cultured counterbalance to our penguin overlord.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seriously!  

Was hospitalized again on Thursday, after spending 9 freakin’ hours in the emergency room.

Started feeling severe pain in the left side, right around the bottom of the ribs.  It got worse and worse.  My wife and I both figured - “meh, it’s probably something like a GI infection, or even something as ridiculous as gas”, so we didn’t want to hassle the emergency room.  Hours later we decided that we’d rather feel stupid for going to the ER with a GI issue, than feel stupid for dying because we didn’t go.  With the heart procedure only 10 week ago, that seemed prudent.  I was also throwing up a lot.  Over the course of the night, I threw up at least a dozen times.

At the ER, everyone was VERY concerned about it being a heart attack.  They gave me a massive dose of nitro (patch), and run me through tons of blood drawn, X-rays, contrast CT scans, and were trying to decide whether or not to shove me back in the cath lab.  They also mentioned the possibility of a lung embolism.

The pain got worse and worse.  They gave me IV morphine (several times) and it did nothing.  They gave me dilaudid in pill form, and it did nothing.  It wasn’t until the cardiologists determined it was NOT cardiac (after three blood tests) that they finally gave me IV dilaudid that the pain was finally brought under control.  HOLY SHIT that sucked.  Eight hours of increasing pain - at the end I was totally losing it.  

They admitted me for observation, but actually released me the same evening because I was doing better.

It seems to have been a GI infection or virus.  So, just one more thing in my crappy year of health.  I still feel weak as a kitten and cannot eat.  Last time I ate was Wednesday afternoon, and I have been sleeping about 20 hours a day since I was discharged.

I am sure my insurance company is getting really tired of me.  

ETA: on a more amusing note, I was totally vindicated for keeping barf bags in our cars.  
View Quote
That's an interesting approach to losing weight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, seriously glad you’re okay. Prayers for a fast rebound on the way.

ETA: recovery. Rebound is not so good with you per page 2.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn!

Any fever with the pain?  I dont blame you for going to the ER... if anything you should have gone in sooner.  Pride has killed many a good man in similar instances.

Not sure i would let the doc off with a vague "it was just a GI bug...".  Just keep in mind, twice is coincidence but thrice is enemy action... dont wait too long if you have issues again.

You profs must party hard to warrant puke bags as SOE in your car!  
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
DK, glad to hear you're doing well, been rough!

My FIL had a second heart attack, was actually the Widowmaker as well. Right before Thanksgiving (was actually released Thanksgiving morning).

Old dude won't stay down, doc has him on a Keto diet and he is just shedding weight.

You have had a rough go here lately, so Definitely take it easy and get back to shape, at your pace. It will definitely help in the long run!
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Professor, I've had two surgeries this year and it seems a constant list of ailments that keep limiting me from my goals.

Thanks for being worse than me

As I keep being reminded (and still don't internalize) make sure to take it easy and let yourself heal before pushing too hard.  Boy that sounds easy to say.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No kidding. The only thing I have eaten since Wednesday afternoon is some apple sauce, a little cup of cottage cheese and a handful of crackers.  
View Quote
Jump start on that summer body.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That’s a fantastic and terrible idea.

I’m not even sure which of the two pictures is worse.  I guess you can see how huge my gut has gotten in this one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/Post2a-353863.jpg
View Quote
Your problem is your nurse outfit is too clingy. What you need is an outfit that flows loose across your body like this.
Attachment Attached File

All kidding aside start off slow and maybe go get a full physical before you start back up again. This year I hope to be ten pounds lighter than last year
for the red dress run. When they reach up under your dress and grab a big hand of soft belly it is kind of a turn off for them. A turn on for me but turn off for them.

edit to add I just read some more and you need to see what the hell is going on. I had a heart attack at 47. Keeping in shape is a life style change. If not you won't have to worry about a life style.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you, seriously.

It's very important for me to constantly remind myself that I could be much, much worse off.  Heck, I almost died 10 weeks ago.  That would have sucked.
View Quote
Do your students automatically pass if you kick out before the semester ends?  Maybe you should look to see which are struggling.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I just started hitting the gym again on Tuesday. That's after taking a year off because things got too hectic. I promised myself I'd stay with it this time. I'm super sore but, I'm headed to the gym this afternoon to work off the pain.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do your students automatically pass if you kick out before the semester ends?  Maybe you should look to see which are struggling.
View Quote
I had a prof give me a bad grade that was not deserved, because in his opinion because I was the only non grad student in the class I could handle it better and it made the mathematical distribution of grades just right. I objected.  “Yeah, you’re right... swing by my office this afternoon and I’ll change it.”

I’m sitting outside his office that afternoon when the secretary informs me that he had a heart attack and died at lunch. Fucker.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ran a 5k yesterday (on the treadmill ) and it sucked!

It was super-slow, at 30 minutes.  But, at least I managed to finish.  
View Quote
That's not bad considering you could have died.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It definitely helps to put things in perspective.

I am also starting to get back into lifting.  I’m still weak as hell, so it’s just 135 on bench, squat & deadlift to get me used to it again.  
View Quote
Wait, you could do more than that before?  
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That was a quality burn!

Heck, I used to be able to get two 45s on each side.  I used to do 235 bench, 245 squat and 255 deadlift.  Obviously not “a lot” by lifting standards, but my goal right now is just to slowly work my way back to 225 for all three.

... and do some shoulders and bicep/tricep so I look pretty.  
View Quote
You will always look pretty in your fancy sweaters.  

You should have the squat and the dead easy. Hell, I bet you can deadlift that much right now.   The bench is going to take awhile.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Rode 25 miles on my road bike today, in 90 degree weather.

Felt fine for the most part, but boy, I can feel that stupid beta blocker medication in my system on some of the inclines.  
View Quote
It's good your are blocking your betaness.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are ruthless in this thread!  
View Quote
I'm helping.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#50]
How is this going for you? Do try to avoid statins if they are causing muscle pain as muscle wasting and neurological symptoms will be next. See if they can't do a high dose fish oil as those don't have the statin side effects.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top