BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They are called land pirates in my a/o for a good reason
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think brain surgeons and the like get a lot of respect, but yes, pretty much everyone loves a Fireman.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Believe me, that sentiment irritates my wife to no end.  I can’t count the number of times I have been flashed.
View Quote

My wife gets a kick out of it
She also loves how their husbands get all worked up and upset
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Trash Collection Technician
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
School teacher, but nowdays maybe not so much.

I've been a wildland firefighter before and lots of folks would treat me like they saw me as a criminal dirtbag, so you need to specify structural.
View Quote

Wildland is ballbustingly hard.  Much respect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's the only public institution in America that hasn't yet been gutted and reduced to a shell of its former self.

So, no.
View Quote

You should check out DC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some departments manage to save most of the structures they fight fire in.  There is a huge variety of competency in fire and EMS. Just like every other industry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linemen. Having no power sucks.

If my house catches fire, it might be put out, but it will be a total loss from roof smashing and water damage.

Some departments manage to save most of the structures they fight fire in.  There is a huge variety of competency in fire and EMS. Just like every other industry.

+1

The department I work for actually saves lives and property. The last one fit too many of the volunteer stereotypes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I find some of the things you talk about to be embarrassing.  I don’t wear any identifying stuff off duty because people try to thank me or buy stuff for me.  I won’t let someone pay for anything for us when I’m on duty if I can prevent it.  I get paid well and don’t like the imagery of it.  If someone pays for what we are doing, I will pay the exact same amount or more as a tip to the service provider (barista, etc)
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If you drive through an Asian neighborhood, they’re probably gonna ask you why you no doctor yet?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was dispatched to the Pentagon on 9/11.  Where we you gramps?  

Somedays it's busy.  Somedays you can't catch a fire alarm reset.  The tones drop when they drop...not when you want.  But yeah, odds go way up when you have just sat down to eat.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be new or at a slow station.

We just want time to finish a shit or finish a meal.

I was dispatched to the Pentagon on 9/11.  Where we you gramps?  

Somedays it's busy.  Somedays you can't catch a fire alarm reset.  The tones drop when they drop...not when you want.  But yeah, odds go way up when you have just sat down to eat.  

Tip off the hat to you.  

My good friend dispatched you, no I’m not joking. I’ve discussed that day with her from the dispatch side many times.  She said she had no idea what she was sending you into and feared for you.   It left an impression on her that is still there to this day.

I was still working as a FF/PM running about 22 calls a day so I certainly wasn’t sitting around.  EMS is about 75 percent of our call volume.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Internet forum moderator.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One locally got busted banging other chicks at the firehouse and he was married too
View Quote

Low life tax sucker
ETA
with a narcissistic hero complex
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll say it first...the military.
View Quote

I used to somewhat believe that about the rank and file members.  Not really about the officer corps, once that level is archived they are just a politcal and backstabbing as any other politician.

However, the last 10 years or so, I've lost all faith in the military as a whole.  That's pretty sad to say.

I really looked up to an uncle who is a Vietnam vet, helicopter pilot.  Suffered a lot, his family suffered a lot during that time.  He lost so may friends.  He unfortunately went to the lefty side hard, his son too in the last few years.  Avid outdoorsmen, hunters, etc.  But full on hard-ons for the democratic party for some unknown reason as they disagree with most of what the party stands for.

Unfortunately, we see this in the officer corps with a sitting president, so many officers and enlisted actively, outspokenly and without any punishment from the military establishment bad mouth a sitting president and do whatever they could do to subvert the Constitution.

If the military leadership would go after any of their ranks blabbing their mouth equally, instead of only the conservatives, they would at least have some semblance of respectability.  That's gone forever though.

Nope, no reason to respect the military anymore, if they won't actively stand up for the Constitution, it's only a short time before they turn their weapons against American citizens on our own homeland. We're not far from that now.  Just takes another crisis.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Our first cop who couldn't make it through the fire academy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck firemen.

Our first cop who couldn't make it through the fire academy

Or just a guy who read too many of Tillerman’s posts?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Low life tax suckers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One locally got busted banging other chicks at the firehouse and he was married too

Low life tax suckers

Can’t argue with the taxes but low-life seems like a broad brush.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll say it first...the military.
View Quote

Sorry, accidentally posted twice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
lol whatever helps you sleep at night.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Would you let these firefighters drag your hose around?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Not really. It's a selfless, essential job with no reason for people to disrespect them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck firemen.
View Quote

We hear that a lot from your wives/girlfriends
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
School teacher, but nowdays maybe not so much.

I've been a wildland firefighter before and lots of folks would treat me like they saw me as a criminal dirtbag, so you need to specify structural.
View Quote

Really depends on the area. Where I am they literally post on their web pages that they can't accept all the
free stuff people want to give them. They're well respected. A pretty large crew was lost years ago, so the
risk is top of mind for most.

Tangentially, the tiny, tiny town my cabin is in has its own department and it's literally the core of the town.
I checked last year's log, 60 calls for the year. Only one was a fire, everything else was EMS with a couple
abandoned campfire calls thrown in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck firemen.

Them yelling "Fuck you" doesn't mean what you think it does.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Up here the volunteer firemen are generally a bunch of drunks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
physicians
View Quote

Nope, they get paid well for what they do.  The healthcare industry as a whole is less "caring" than it's been in my lifetime.  I really miss the older doctors who took time to treat and listen to their patients.

It's always been a business, but now even the general practitioner has sometimes 15 minutes to see and diagnose a patient due to the deal they've entered with their group.

It may be different for doctors who fully fund their own practice, but every doctor I've seen in the last 10+ years has been on a tight schedule and seems to have their time regulated by some corporation. Even the small family doctors.

It sux, but because their time is so strictly managed it certainly makes me, the patient, feel like a number rather than a human being.  Unfortunately, this also seems to have affected their interpersonal skills as well.  I suspect they hate it as much as we do, at least my retired GP hated it so much he retired.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's my insecure little fella right on cue
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I hope this doesn't come off as a humble brag thread, but I honestly want to know, is there a more revered and respected profession than that of a firefighter?  

Every day on shift, we drive around the streets of our first due and at intersections, cars with kids and families will wave at our rigs. Driving down neighbor streets children will stop play, and cheer for us.  We have families request we drive by with lights on for their children's birthday parties.  

I've had days where we've been out training all day and haven't had time to cook a station meal so we'll go out to sit down at a restaurant and have complete strangers pick up our bill.  When we do shop at the grocery store, kids and parents will point at the trucks in the parking lot, and we will give out toy helmets for the kids to wear as we encourage the parents to take photos of their child riding the front seat.  

Many small business restaurants and chains will significantly discount our orders. We never ask.  We constantly have citizens stop by the fire house and bring use home baked goods. We rarely are in the news for negative press, but often instead for our community outreach and valor.

Just last week a lady came by the firehouse with a check.  I said please keep your money, your taxes pay for all this; she still insisted.  Every year, my department has been in the top 3 for the MDA's Fill The Boot.  Honestly, speaking to people in the cars, they don't even know they're donating to a charity, but believe it's going towards a new fire engine or something we are in need of.  

Granted, the fire service bends it's back for it's citizens.  That respect is earned.  I've been a part time plumber, electrician, and just general handyman for our community. If they call, we show up. I've cleared trees in roads with my chainsaw after storms, I've shoveled snow for local elderly.

Maybe I think the US service member comes in a close second as the most respected profession in America, but I've worn that uniform too, and I just didn't see it.

What says GD? What is the most respected profession in America? Does anyone beat the respect of firemen?
View Quote

Jesus Christ. Not only did you puff out your chest but you whipped your dick out too. Congrats savior of all lives. I bow to kiss your feet
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been a fireman, a cop, a movie star and a lot of other “no fucking way, you are full of shit” stuff.

While I don’t think it is the most rewarding career..:in terms of lifestyle and respect, It damned well ranks up there.  You can make an OK living. Almost everyone respects you and you occasionally get to do some hero shit along with reasonable work/life balance.  

If one of my kids said “I want to be a firefighter” I would probably think they were making a pretty good choice.

I think being a cop is far more fun. (As a fireman you wait for work. As a cop you can get into shit pretty much any time you want) but fireman don’t have to deal with level of bullshit and hatred that cops do.  

Fireman is a really good career choice.  I don’t know what is more respected, but there are certainly far more prestigious careers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever rescue a cat from a dishwasher?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. And there's my young little bullshit artist.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

2 5 1 4 3

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Amen, not respected
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have been a fireman, a cop, a movie star and a lot of other “no fucking way, you are full of shit” stuff.

While I don’t think it is the most rewarding career..:in terms of lifestyle and respect, It damned well ranks up there.  You can make an OK living. Almost everyone respects you and you occasionally get to do some hero shit along with reasonable work/life balance.  

If one of my kids said “I want to be a firefighter” I would probably think they were making a pretty good choice.

I think being a cop is far more fun. (As a fireman you wait for work. As a cop you can get into shit pretty much any time you want) but fireman don’t have to deal with level of bullshit and hatred that cops do.  

Fireman is a really good career choice.  I don’t know what is more respected, but there are certainly far more prestigious careers.
View Quote

I always enjoy your posts and your perspective.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

2 5 1 4 3

View All Quotes
Quoted:

2 5 1 4 3

What? You put 5 second?

2 3 1 4 5
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Amen, not respected
View Quote

Well, not by you at least.  No worries. I hope you have great day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Linemen, even firemen need heroes.
View Quote

godlike, they are. Every lineman jobsite has such a badass aura.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh look, a “movie star”
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL. And there's my young little bullshit artist.
View Quote

Once again your insecurities shine through
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
My former fire chief left his wife of 30 years for one of his paramedics wives.  Such respect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I thought OP was a CC,  now I find out he is only a fireman.

I am saddened.
View Quote

Wore the uniform.  Dry those tears. It's like once a marine always a marine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not really. It's a selfless, essential job with no reason for people to disrespect them.
View Quote

Selfless huh?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Slab savers?  GTFO.  Second responders.  Cat in a tree?  Stage and wait for LE to clear the scene.

When "saving" a house requires a 20 X 20 hole in the roof and 200,000 gallons of water.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What? You put 5 second?

2 3 1 4 5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 5 1 4 3

What? You put 5 second?

2 3 1 4 5

I knew I was gonna get shit for that, but yes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#45]
FedEx driver
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Venomous snake milker
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I hate to say it because I work with them everyday

But....this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Linemen, even firemen need heroes.

I hate to say it because I work with them everyday

But....this.

Sorry, firemen.   You guys are the shit until the power goes out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP, I find some of the things you talk about to be embarrassing.  I don’t wear any identifying stuff off duty because people try to thank me or buy stuff for me.  I won’t let someone pay for anything for us when I’m on duty if I can prevent it.  I get paid well and don’t like the imagery of it.  If someone pays for what we are doing, I will pay the exact same amount or more as a tip to the service provider (barista, etc)
View Quote

@AKFF
We don't ask for comps, it's policy not to. But we can't help it if a bill is paid anonymously.  As someone said earlier, we just tip the waiter the bill instead.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Selfless huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Selfless huh?

While it may not be B everyone, many of them do the job for free.  

What is laughable about that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Slab savers?  GTFO.  Second responders.  Cat in a tree?  Stage and wait for LE to clear the scene.

When "saving" a house requires a 20 X 20 hole in the roof and 200,000 gallons of water.
View Quote

And all cops shoot all black people.  

Is that how this works?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top