Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No. Unless you want to die for it. And ...if we were serious, instead of running around in circles over there, it would have been cleaned up like the first GW. We didn't fuck around then and that was made abundantly clear to the world in short order. I personally am not going to get all blowed up so Abdul can sell fucking olives in the market and little Iraqi kids can crap in a flush toilet. Not my problem.

"not my problem"?  I guess you didn't think that what Hitler was doing was our problem either, huh?

Comparing this to GW1 just shows that you have no clue.

We didn't care about Hitler until he made the mistake of declaring war on us. If he hadn't we would have been happy just shipping equipment to England...

If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Conscientous objectors are not shot.

They go to the brig.

The soldiers have a choice. They CHOSE to join, and can chose CO status.

Plain wrong.  COs do not go to the brig.  They are either discharged (Class 1-O) or put into a non-weapons bearing role (Class 1-A-O), depending on the individual's beliefs.

Generally, a CO should not be joining the armed forces in the first place without asserting a CO status upfront and asking for Class 1-A-O status.  If a person does join the military without asserting pre-existing CO status he is precluded from seeking CO status at a later date.

A person who develops CO beliefs after enlisting can apply for CO status, but the determination as to the merits of the case is done on a case-by-case basis and you can bet it's a tough sell to HQ.

If CO status is denied to an applicant "[he] will be expected to conform to the normal requirement's of military service and to perform satisfactorily such duties to which they are assigned. Violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice by these members will be treated as in any other situation."  i.e., desertion is desertion.  Source: DOD Directive 1300.6
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
more to the point is it worth you or a family members life.

Since when is your life any more important than any 1 of the millions of innocent Iraqi citizens murdered under Sadams rule?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about the Sudan? There's worse genocide and brutality going on there.

If you can cure the world of all this in one night then maybe you should be the one leading the country, but untill then its gotta be 1 at a time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Plain wrong.  COs do not go to the brig.  They are either discharged (Class 1-O) or put into a non-weapons bearing role (Class 1-A-O), depending on the individual's beliefs.

Whatever.

Point is, they have a choice.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A couple things:

1)The war to over-through Saddam was not fought to free the Iraqi people (at least not as a primary purpose); it was done to stabilize the region.  A region that is so volatile it will probably inevitably become the flashpoint for most every major conflict in the next 100 years.  Especially if it is continued to be governed by extremists.

I'm not sure what the source for your first sentence is.  The war was originally stated to be fought for another purpose entirely.

2)The war has now evolved into a bonus round.  One that was not necessarily foreseen by war planners and talking heads.  This “bonus round” is an away game on the WOT (War On Terror).  The WOT is typically played in the stadium of the home team, and the home team can really only play defense.  In this situation, we get to directly confront 1000’s and 1000’s of jihadists before they make it to American soil.  These imported insurgents are from a variety of surrounding Arab countries.  They have come to fight the great jihad with America and have come to die.  It’s better we do this in their backyard than the financial communities, shopping malls, and schoolyards of America.  As of this date we have lost approximately 1400 in combat.  I would say that had we stayed home and sat on our hands we would have lost 10 times that on our home soil over the next 20 years.  So from a mathematical standpoint; yes losing one life is better than loosing ten.

I think the flaw in this argument is twofold.  Number one, it assumes the number of jihadists is fixed and therefore a certain number of the stock of jihadists is being expended in Iraq.  However, the number of jihadists is not fixed -- there is an effectively endless supply of potential jihadists that the presence of American troops in the region can convert into actual jihadists.  The question is whether the equilibrium of terrorists being killed/taken out of comission vs. those who become terrorists as a result of the American presence in Iraq is the real question.  

Second, the terrorist fighters in Iraq capable of infiltrating from Syria and Iran to fight in Iraq are not necessarily capable of coming to the US and taking the fight here.  So if the supply of jihadists increases as a result of the American presence in Iraq, and not all of those jihadists are going into Iraq to fight, then the war in Iraq has destabilized America's security position.

(snip)

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever.

Point is, they have a choice.

Garandman, you are plain wrong on this.  Somebody cannot willy nilly declare he has become a CO for the purpose of avoiding duty.  Read directive 1300.6 and see what kind of factors are considered.  It would be difficult for someone to assert a claim to CO status without a substantial history of major life changes backing up the claim.  And absent a grant of CO status you are a deserter or of similar status.

www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/ corres/pdf/d13006wch4_082071/d13006p.pdf
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
We've been over this dozens of times. YES! Nobody knows they are going to die, but there is always the risk.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, it's not. We're not there for them, we're there to undermine and destroy Muslim terrorism by bringing the fight to their neighborhood. Luckily for us and for the Iraqis, it means that we can work with them to remake Iraq into a more America-friendly nation. That will spread our ideals and methods to the Middle-East, wether they like it or not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Garandman, you are plain wrong on this.  Somebody cannot willy nilly declare he has become a CO for the purpose of avoiding duty.  Read directive 1300.6 and see what kind of factors are considered.  It would be difficult for someone to assert a claim to CO status without a substantial history of major life changes backing up the claim.  And absent a grant of CO status you are a deserter or of similar status.

[

If a "soldier " is unwilling to fight, they can stage a sit in (or whatever you want to call it)

They'd have a JAG trial, and go to the brig.

In any ultimate sense, they DO NOT have to fight. And they WOULD NOT be shot.

They have a choice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a lost cause arguing this point with you.  Ask Eddie Slovik if he can do his time in the brig for his "sit-in".
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a lost cause arguing this point with you.  Ask Eddie Slovik if he can do his time in the brig for his "sit-in".

Wow. Someone who actually knows about the last US Soldier (Private Slovik) executed for desertion.
I'm impressed.

I think I still have my copy of "The execution of Private Slovik" somewhere in my office.
My Dad would not give his approval for me to join the Army when until I read it.
I still joined up, I had no intention of deserting. Personally I do believe deserters should be executed.

Anyway, if you do not have wars, how can you test new weapon systems and tactics. A war every now and then is almost essential for any superpower. BTW if you didn't notice we are the only Superpower left. That is, until China gets up to speed. And that locomotive is developing a head of steam. Look to the Asia for the next big one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe it is worth it. I served 9 years in the Air Force and would gladly go back in if I could. We probably should have continued this fight in Gulf War I.

Taking out Saddam is only part of the larger mission. We need a base in the Middle East for continuing operations against terrorism and namely Islamic Radicals. This fight is going to take about 10 years to win.

Using the reasoning that some use here, we should not have fought Germany during WWI or WWII and should have left Germany and Japan in shambles at the end of those wars. Building a democracy is not a something done quickly and it will spread in time.

My .02

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's not just about the freedom of Iraqis. If that were the sole reason, then I'd say no. But that isn't the case. A free Iraq isn't just something that will make us feel good, but it will make us safer. Why? A free Iraq will mean it isn't under Taliban type extremist rule that most supports terrorism. Plus, they are now an important ally in the region. Should the need arise, we have a nation now in the center of the Midle East from which we can base from.

Again, it's not just about Iraqis. It's also about our interests. Making sure we achieve our goals there directly benefits us. It just happens to help them too.

They were not a Taliban based system before we got there.  Sorry folks, but these are the same arguments I heard during Viet Nam.

Unfortunately, what you're going to see very quickly is that we're going the declare "Mission Accomplished" and leave the area.  A civil war will ensue and who knows what will happen after that, one thing for sure... it'll not be good for the west.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You aren't allowed to say the real deal with this war so why bother.

God Bless the troops.

God Help the middle class when the 7 billion a week we're pissing away comes due.

God Save those who think this is going to get better before it gets worse.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Taking out Saddam is only part of the larger mission. We need a base in the Middle East for continuing operations against terrorism and namely Islamic Radicals. This fight is going to take about 100 years to win.

you left off a zero... Look at Israel, they've been doing it since '49 and if you think they'll have peace before 2049, you are an optimist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. If Iraq is a success then it will start a trend for the whole middle east. Plus, the boys over there needed some time in the field to prepare for China or whoever else wants to fuck with the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

God Bless the troops.

God Help the middle class when the 7 billion a week we're pissing away comes due.

You can say whatever you want... you just did.

Grow up .
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

He wasn't executed for being a CO, but for desertian.  Of all the members of his firing squad, composed of his peers in the 28th Inf. Reg., not a single one flinched when they pulled the triggers.  I don't care what your views about war are, but you don't abandon your fellow soldiers on the eve of battle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No. Unless you want to die for it. And ...if we were serious, instead of running around in circles over there, it would have been cleaned up like the first GW. We didn't fuck around then and that was made abundantly clear to the world in short order. I personally am not going to get all blowed up so Abdul can sell fucking olives in the market and little Iraqi kids can crap in a flush toilet. Not my problem.

Thank God we don't have people with your mindset in our military.  

Oh yeah?  Fuck those people.  They can fend for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Americans can either die abroad, fighting and taking on the enemy while doing something for the long run pertaining to freedom

or

they can stay home and die there doing nothing about anything, oblivious to the fact that we are at war (which many seemed to have forgot.....)

if it were one in my familiy and they volunteered for the service, then yes, its worth it

God Bless those who serve!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you think, out of curiosity?

I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I may very well have to risk my life for OEF.
I have alot to live for and am just curios what some of you guys think.
Death is forever and I see that as a high price considering the Iraqis current behavior.

Yes it is, and once you finish Basic training/OSUT you will see things in a different light.

Your Drill Sergeants will all have combat time and experience from over there...... look, listen, and learn from them.

You won't be asking once your a soldier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#25]

When I get home people 'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?"

Ya know what I'll say?

I won't say a goddamn word.

Why?

They won't understand.

They won't understand why we do it.

They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it.

That's all it is.

---- SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson, Black Hawk Down.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"not my problem"?  I guess you didn't think that what Hitler was doing was our problem either, huh?

Comparing this to GW1 just shows that you have no clue.

We didn't care about Hitler until he made the mistake of declaring war on us. If he hadn't we would have been happy just shipping equipment to England...

If you believe that, I have some swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you.

We wouldn't have declared war on Germany unless they attacked us, or declared war on us, which is what they did. We didn't declare war against Germany when Britain did, nor when they were attacked, nor would we have if Germany had invaded the British Isles. Face it...we were sitting on the sidelines until we were dragged into WW2...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]

I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I may very well have to risk my life for OEF.
Death is forever and I see that as a high price considering the Iraqis current behavior.

"What? You wanna live forever!?!?!?!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God Bless the troops.

You can say whatever you want... you just did.

Grow up hr

Fully grown. Eyes wide open. CoC, getting booted because I stepped on some highly attentive toes...say what I want? Baloney. But just like steam bottled up while it's heated...I'm boiling hotter.

One thing I can say, the draft would instantly put the lie to the "support" of many.  Let's see what's what America. John and Janie aren't going to college...they're going to do their part in Iraq, for as long as it takes, no matter how many precious little rich kids we lose. And no exceptions either folks.

We'd be out of there in a month.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#29]
SHIT!!!

I didnt mean to stir up a shit storm. Sorry.

First of all I am NOT a fucking troll or a DU wacko or whatever else you armchair pussies want to call me instead of answering my fucking questionhether
Now that I have that off my chest.
Im playing around with some pre-OSUT jitters and looking for some "opinions". Internet fun and games as far as Im concerned. Im no forigien policy genius and was just curious what the arfcom community thought.
Forgive my noobienes but maybey when I reach a thousand posts I will be fit for the joint Chiefs of Staff. Then again I will probably be too busy talking shit on the internet.

Thanks to those who actually took the question into thought and answered it. I hope thats what this forum is for because thats why I enjoy it.

Sorry for the rant but goddamn. I dont need to take this shit from a bunch of anonomys assholes five days before I ship off for infantry training.

God Bless the United States of America
God Bless all US service men and women No Matter What The Mission
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Official ARFCOM CockSucker... I hope your stay has been nice and I hope you boys at DU have a

good time sleeping on your stomachs.

Hey... I have a male chicken you can taste any time.
Come visit me at Fort Benning I will be happy to give you a taste.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when is your life any more important than any 1 of the millions of innocent Iraqi citizens murdered under Sadams rule?

Since I was born an American citizen not an Iraqi.

"Because we live here"-Jed
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do you think, out of curiosity?

Death is forever and I see that as a high price considering the Iraqis current behavior.hinking.gif

Yes it is, and once you finish Basic training/OSUT you will see things in a different light.

Your Drill Sergeants will all have combat time and experience from over there...... look, listen, and learn from them.

You won't be asking once your a soldier.

Thanks for the reply with out the B/S
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A couple things:

1)The war to over-through Saddam was not fought to free the Iraqi people (at least not as a primary purpose); it was done to stabilize the region.  A region that is so volatile it will probably inevitably become the flashpoint for most every major conflict in the next 100 years.  Especially if it is continued to be governed by extremists.

I'm not sure what the source for your first sentence is.  The war was originally stated to be fought for another purpose entirely.

2)The war has now evolved into a bonus round.  One that was not necessarily foreseen by war planners and talking heads.  This “bonus round” is an away game on the WOT (War On Terror).  The WOT is typically played in the stadium of the home team, and the home team can really only play defense.  In this situation, we get to directly confront 1000’s and 1000’s of jihadists before they make it to American soil.  These imported insurgents are from a variety of surrounding Arab countries.  They have come to fight the great jihad with America and have come to die.  It’s better we do this in their backyard than the financial communities, shopping malls, and schoolyards of America.  As of this date we have lost approximately 1400 in combat.  I would say that had we stayed home and sat on our hands we would have lost 10 times that on our home soil over the next 20 years.  So from a mathematical standpoint; yes losing one life is better than loosing ten.

I think the flaw in this argument is twofold.  Number one, it assumes the number of jihadists is fixed and therefore a certain number of the stock of jihadists is being expended in Iraq.  However, the number of jihadists is not fixed -- there is an effectively endless supply of potential jihadists that the presence of American troops in the region can convert into actual jihadists.  The question is whether the equilibrium of terrorists being killed/taken out of comission vs. those who become terrorists as a result of the American presence in Iraq is the real question.  

Second, the terrorist fighters in Iraq capable of infiltrating from Syria and Iran to fight in Iraq are not necessarily capable of coming to the US and taking the fight here.  So if the supply of jihadists increases as a result of the American presence in Iraq, and not all of those jihadists are going into Iraq to fight, then the war in Iraq has destabilized America's security position.
]

(snip)

Regarding #1)  The war is or any political agenda is always "sold" to the public for support.  When dealing with the American public, it is always more effective to sell to them based on their heart strings (emotion) and not a pitch based on analysis and linear reason.  A look at how many Democrats in office is proof of this theory.  It still does not change the reason.Your first and second sentence highlight one of the major problems with the political process that led to this war.  The American public and the world stage were misled, intentionally or not, into a cause celebre to justify the war.  Our political leaders have not been held accountable for this.  As an aside, your comment on democrats is just as easily made about republicans.  It's a very biased view to think only a democratic candidate campaigns on emotional issues.

Regarding #2) True, nothing is fixed in the absolute sense.  However, if an individual is willing to  freely and willingly lay their life on the line for the jihad, I would argue that they were 99% of the way there before Americans set foot in Iraq.  The fact of the matter is, we (the US) are not fighting anyone because they are Muslim and we are not fighting to become occupiers.  With that in mind, if a potential jihadist feels otherwise, then they are sheeple and would have converted to hate and want to kill us anyways.I agree to a point.  Some of those converted to come fight would have done so anyway.  It's just a question of how many new jihadists are created that otherwise might have been harmless.  Nobody can answer that with any certainty.  However, the American presence in Iraq has generated a tremendous anti-american fervour in the Islamic world, adding measurably to an already acute problem.  

Regarding #2 - second point)  An individual's capability to make it to US soil is not the determining factor of whether they can effectively pursue the cause of the jihad.  As these individuals are killed in the battlefields of Iraq, there is that many less (in their respective countries) to fund raise, to teach new generations, and to preach in the streets, to hate all that is not Muslim. I agree with you again, but I think it's a question of degree as to what threat these insurgents posed in the absence of readily available US targets.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:06:25 AM EDT
[#34]
 What a
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Freedom for Iraq is an outcome, not a primary motivator.

Yes, it is worth the lives of American soldiers to guarantee that Iraq is not capable of producing and deploying nuclear weapons.

Unfortunately, we have put ourselves in the position where it is necessary for Americans to need to sacrifice their lives in order to secure an area of the world that is necessary for the survival of our way of life purely because this area possesses a strategic raw material; OIL.

We've had PLENTY of warning on this one; thirty years ago, and we've not done anywhere near enough to break our addiction to Middle East oil.  We have a debt to repay to all of our fallen soldiers and their families to do EVERYTHING to get ourselves out of this rancid situation.  We cannot go on living in this dreamworld of believing that we can maintain constructive economic and political relations with these corrupt Middle Eastern countries.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
We need to kill every single one of those motherfuckers there, so we do not have to kill them here.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in Disneyland.

BK
AmericanSnipers.org
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#38]
If I were 19 again I would not hesitate to go.
With all the training and shit I had to put up with I felt like I was cheated when GW1 started. (i got out in 1987)

I would rather do the fighting over there than here locally.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry, NO!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about the Sudan? There's worse genocide and brutality going on there.

Cool!

Allow me to help you pack!

Eric The(DidYouGetYourTicket?)Hun hr

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Slovik was a deserter.  Big difference between that and someone applying for CO status.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

God Bless the troops.

Straight from DU to us.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slovik was a deserter.  Big difference between that and someone applying for CO status.

Thanks LarryG.  That was exactly my point and something Garandman didn't seem to be able to grasp.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top