BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is this moonshine stuff that you speak of ?

don't ya know everybody is trying to be green,  the're not making liquor, it's just un-blended E-85  E100

More like E96 I believe if you're referring to the % content. Can't get any higher with distilation.

Use a membrane.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in Iowa moonshine whiskey is still being made and distributed.

The famous "Templeton Rye" name has now been co-opted by a modern distillery that makes a high end and delicious rye whiskey, but the original underground distillery is still cranking out genuine templeton rye. I know a guy that can get it, and have a few empty bottles sitting on my  fridge. It is something like 110 proof, and usually comes in little half pint bottles with homemade labels.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anyone here in East Texas, but I'm sure someone is doing it.

However I have a friend that lives in NC and when he visits he brings a few mason jars along with him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of it
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine inherited a small copper still when his uncle passed away. It had been working in the hills of KY since the 1950s.

As long as there are people too poor to pay $5 for a 6-pack of beer, or white men angry at the vampires in Washington, DC and the state capitols  there will be moonshiners.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/whiskey/
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Easy to get here in VA IF you know the right people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
So, aside from taxation purposes, is there any reason this stuff is illegal?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Apparently quality control of the finished product is between none and some. Chemical contamination can kill you. You ever hear the phrase "that stuff will make you go blind?"
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Google Franklin County Virginia moonshine.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently quality control of the finished product is between none and some. Chemical contamination can kill you. You ever hear the phrase "that stuff will make you go blind?"
Which should be left up to the judgment of the person drinking it, don't you think?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Minnesota 13 ...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#14]
http://homedistiller.org/
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had a little Arkansas stumpwater in the not too distant past.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

oddly enough the last bottle of shine i saw came from chicago

i have met a few "good ole boys" here that still make it. they do it for fun becuase they can, or as a way to stick their thumb in the "mans" eye.

honestly with the price of ingredients and effort you can buy quality party liqueur cheaper than you can make it.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=12902

It is sort of a novelty, but honestly, good shine is quality, IMHO.  Particularly if you stuff the jars with various types of fruit.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Revenuer?

A government agent in charge of collecting revenue, especially one responsible for halting the unlawful distilling or bootlegging of alcohol.

However... I've heard many old folks refer  to anyone with a badge as a revenuer.... Kinda appropriate in this day and time if you ask me.... way some cops hand out tickets for stupid shit just to gain money for local government.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#21]
we have stuff down here that is made to be soaked up in fruit. Get the jar out, pour, dipp your strawberries. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I know folks who make moonshine & homemade wine (buck) out of fruit.... The wine is actually good...... And it'll get cha drunk!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By E.r.i.k:
we have stuff down here that is made to be soaked up in fruit. Get the jar out, pour, dipp your strawberries. Enjoy.

I've  had that with cherries.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
i may or may not get this stuff in ne ohio that taste like icewater
it is so smooth that you want to keep drinking it
but 2 small sips will put you on your ass
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revenuer?

A government agent in charge of collecting revenue, especially one responsible for halting the unlawful distilling or bootlegging of alcohol.

However... I've heard many old folks refer  to anyone with a badge as a revenuer.... Kinda appropriate in this day and time if you ask me.... way some cops hand out tickets for stupid shit just to gain money for local government.

This.......around here it's pronounced "Reven-ooer".

LC
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:07:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone Canadain just got busted here making shine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My SO is from Pike County, KY.  Still very common in those parts.

Pahhhhke County?  Now that IS the hills/holler/STICKS!  

Yes, 'shine is still quite prevelant in my great ole Commonwealth, but in Pahhhke County you're just as likely, if not more so, to find a nice patch of the marijoowanna - it's still our largest cash crop by far.

In fact, I've got some primo shine someone GAVE me (not purchased! ) years ago, and he even did the proper KY thing and it had been aged in a charred oak barrel.  OK, not for very LONG, but it's got the nice brown hue to it!

You can bet your ass there is still people making moonshine. However, law enforcement doesn't care that you make it. They only care when you try to sell it.
]

^AND THIS.  THIS RIGHT HERE!^
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

i have had shine you could literally run a dragster off of that was so smooth it went down like water.

Funny how that works, isn't it?  80 proof vodka makes you want to hurl, but the 115 proof homemade rye goes down like water.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't say it's common throughout all of the south but it's still around. It's more common in some areas like the mountains and foothills than others, say the Gulf Coast region (though it exists there too). The purpose of making moonshine generally isn't the same as it was during the prohibition. During the prohibition moonshiners were trying to produce very large quantities of it in order to supply the masses as well as to make money to feed their families. These days most of the moonshiners a friend of mine knows are more concerned with making high quality liquor for the use of themselves, friends and family.

Btw, appleshine has to be one of the best tasting liquors around and the great thing about good quality moonshine is that despite being very strong it doesn't taste like normal liquor or have that sharp edge common in most liquors. It's very smooth and unless it was flavored with something (apples, peaches, etc.) it doesn't have a real strong flavor. You can't tell it's a strong liquor except for the alcohol smell, the warm feeling going down and in your gut and when it hits you.... or so I'm told.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I know for a fact it's not only in the south.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Junior Johnson's gone legitimate and is selling it in the ABC store now

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know folks who make moonshine & homemade wine (buck) out of fruit.... The wine is actually good...... And it'll get cha drunk!

Homemade wine is a lot more prevalent in Tn than making whiskey.

Growin dope & cookin Meth has replaced most of the moonshiners.

For my tastes, I had lots rather have Makers Mark than white whiskey any day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say it's common throughout all of the south but it's still around. It's more common in some areas like the mountains and foothills than others, say the Gulf Coast region (though it exists there too). The purpose of making moonshine generally isn't the same as it was during the prohibition. During the prohibition moonshiners were trying to produce very large quantities of it in order to supply the masses as well as to make money to feed their families. These days most of the moonshiners a friend of mine knows are more concerned with making high quality liquor for the use of themselves, friends and family.

Btw, appleshine has to be one of the best tasting liquors around and the great thing about good quality moonshine is that despite being very strong it doesn't taste like normal liquor or have that sharp edge common in most liquors. It's very smooth and unless it was flavored with something (apples, peaches, etc.) it doesn't have a real strong flavor. You can't tell it's a strong liquor except for the alcohol smell, the warm feeling going down and in your gut and when it hits you.... or so I'm told.

Sneaks up on 'ya......
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#35]
hell, I knew a Game Warden that had a still. said it was not against the law if he wasnt selling it to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
hell, I knew a Game Warden that had a still. said it was not against the law if he wasnt selling it to anyone.

And he would be wrong, but its nice to know that some people see these BS laws for what they are.

In a nutshell, here is how it goes.  You can make your own beer or wine for your own consumption without having to pay for a license.  But distillation of hard liquor is strictly forbidden unless you pay for the proper license, regardless whether it is for your own use or not.  And that includes use as a fuel.

Weird laws, for sure.  Distilling your own doesn't hurt anyone.

LC
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is it still done?

Was Popcorn country?

http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/popcorn.jpg

Quoted:
Maybe it's just a stereotype?  Is it still done?  Are anti-distilling laws enforced?

RIP Popcorn......
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#38]
yes
history channel had a good show about moonshiners last winter
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Click To View Spoileringlourious basterds

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
There are places where you can leave money on a tree stump and find a couple mason jars there the next day.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I grew up in the North Georgia Mountains.  You can bet your ass there is still people making moonshine. However, law enforcement doesn't care that you make it.  They only care when you try to sell it.

My dad's uncle goes to visit his family somewhere in North Carolina and sometimes brings back some moonshine. I can tell it is made from corn and it is the absolute best tasting alcohol I have ever had. EVER. I don't understand how some hayseeds can make the best sweet corn mash liquor and all the commercial businesses turn out bullshit for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Stuff is made everywhere, even in boring ole Kansas.  It will definitely speed your way to a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i have had shine you could literally run a dragster off of that was so smooth it went down like water.

Funny how that works, isn't it?  80 proof vodka makes you want to hurl, but the 115 proof homemade rye goes down like water.

Yup, see my post.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Why yes and apparently still sleeping with our cousins.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Moonshinin is alive and well, I've been seeing a lot of watered-down flavored shit tho lately, my buddy has a mason jar of some with cinnamon sticks in it and you can swig it no problem, doesn't burn like the real deal shine does but it does do the trick....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#46]
In Appalachia, moonshine is as American as apple pie and sometimes just as delicious.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes it's still common. I don't know anybody that does it on a large scale in Texas but it's not uncommon at all in the more sparsely populated areas of Oklahoma. Nothin like drinkin moonshine while you watch the chicken fights.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes, the laws are still enforced. Don't even think about trying it.

Maybe in TN, bu tin LA and MS it is going strong with no enforcement to speak of.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I live in a county that directly touches Franklin County here in Virginia.  I also own about 100 acres in Franklin.  I can tell you that it's still thriving down there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top