Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To quote a great president "There you go again"

Quoted:

We're going in circles because of the bizaree circular logig you're using.

Q: how do you know the bible is true??
A: Cause God said so!!

Q2: What other proof do you have??
A: Because God said so- [i] it's in the bible[/i]!!
View Quote

Either I didn't make it plain (happens sometimes, not often, but once in a while), or you've lost your reading comprehension skills [;)]

But, you insist on leaving out the aspect of [b]faith[/b]  If you ain't got it, you won't understand it.  If God gives me faith to believe what it says in His word, I'll believe it.

I can only say that what I have witnessed in my life (short as it may be) and have observed in others lives, tells me that 1) there is a God, and 2) [i]that[/i] God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of the Old and New Testaments.

Try it from a linear approach-

god says man in imperfect
but you all say that the men that wrote the bible were all divinly iguided/inspired.
View Quote

I see no problem with this - it is the same as someone leaning over your shoulder reminding you to add items to your grocery list - altho, God probably wasn't there in a physical form.

but when bad things happen-- we're back to man being bad all by him self.

So does god also cause men to do wrong??
OR- does god prevent people from doing bad things in his name????

or- why doesn't god stop people from doing bad things behind his name??

TV evangelist spring to mind... John Hagee and his little kingdom on earth.... violates (probably over)half the instruction listed above for selecting a pastor.
View Quote

God does not 'cause' evil to happen, altho he might 'allow' it.  Yes, man, because of the fall in the garden (having to do with free will) has made a choice to be 'bad' - so in that sense you have it correct, that man is inherently 'bad' or evil.

As for Hagee, I don't know enough about the man to comment.

[snip - sorry the list was just too long]

View Quote

Where the heck did you com eup with some of that tripe?!?  Just because it comes up in a google search doesn't mean that it's the correct interpretation!  There are a lot of very strange groups out there that really interpret the bible in strange ways.  Sheesh!

Why should women--and the men who honor women--respect and support religions which preach women's submission, which make women's subjugation a cornerstone of their theology?

When attempts are made to base laws on the bible, women must beware. The constitutional principle of separation between church and state is the only sure barrier standing between women and the bible."
View Quote

I'm not sure where this quote is from, but if you actually check out a real Christian church, not some of those you've quoted from google, you will find that the church doesn not teach [b]subjugation[/b] of women, submission yes, but look at how it is actually formed...

Eph 5:21 "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God."  
Eph 5:22 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."
Eph 5:23 "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. "  
Eph 5:24 "Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing. "
Eph 5:25  "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"

Now, let me ask you this - in that last verse, we are instructed as husbands to love our wives, as Christ loved the church - do you understand what that means?  You do understand that part about "gave himself for it" means that as husbands we should love our wives so completely and unconditionally that we would be willing to die for her?

Also there is this further on:
Eph 5:28 "So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. "
Eph 5:29 "For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:"

And even further:
Eph 5:33 "Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife [see] that she reverence [her] husband. "

Can you see that those who would turn the wife into a 'slave' have it wrong?  Would someone turn himself into a slave and beat himself?  If so, he would be out of line with Eph 5:29 and 5:33!

Now there are certainly people that have a warped sense of what love is, but we can discover that true, unconditional love is defined in 1 Cor 13 (which I won't quote here) and most (if not all) of what you have provided from the google search you did appears to not stand with the defenition found therin.

Now, all that we have discussed so far in this post simply is part of the discussion Christians have about 'how then shall we live?' - not 'how are we saved?', but again, you really have to watch who you are listening to/reading.  There are a lot of so called preachers, and denominations that have some doctrine that is not very sound.

This is why a Christion needs the Holy Spirit, for discernment (or to "try the spirits")
Jo 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."
But one cannot try (test or discern) the spirits unless one has the Spirit of God.

Of course, you will probably fail to see the logic in any of this since you (for whatever reason) cannot accept the bible as even a reference book, apparently.

Edited because I can't speel and typ at the same tyme.
View Quote

Just because it comes up in a google search doesn't mean that it's the correct interpretation!  There are a lot of very strange groups out there that really interpret the bible in strange ways.  Sheesh!
View Quote

That was sort of the point. I’ll try to be more direct for ya next time.
Soooo… If I as a mere mortal, inherently flawed man can’t divine which beliefs and texts are true- why should I trust the opinion of other mortals??? I can’t say what is right and what is wrong- no more then can you tell me.

I can’t argue with logic like:
‘because god said so’
‘it’s in the bible’
or the classic;
‘it about [I]faith[/I]’--- ( AKA you just don’t get it)- rather condescending and dismissive if you ask me.

You guys get so defensive if someone question anything, if makes me think thou doth protest too much.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, now that I understand the question better!  [;)]

First, I didn't mean to be condescending... not really my style.

So, what you're really asking then is "Since I don't think the Big Guy upstairs has given me the correct filter (or nudge, or 'sign'), how am I supposed to know who to listen to?"

Well, now, that is a tough one (and I am not being sarcastic).

First, I would suggest, taking a slightly different tack than you're on.  Most people that I know of that come from a background similar (as far as I can tell) to yours, tell me that they were able to "figure it out" by simply reading the Bible (the accepted cannon, mind you), with a prayerful attitude and an open mind.

Sorry to say, they did basically what Scripture tells us all to do - that is search it, study it, become intimate with it.  Not for a week, or a month, but for 6 months to a year. (there's a lot there)

At some point, you will hear the "voice of God".

Of course, I could be trite and say "trust me on this" ... or "if you don't you're not listening closely enough", but that would put us right back at the beginning of this discussion, wouldn't it?

If you make a "good faith" effort - not to have blind faith, not to force yourself to believe, but to investigate deeply, you will hear His call.

You see, I know that He is calling you, right now - it's up to you to move closer to him, or move away.

I can point you to people that started out attempting to prove the Bible to be a complete fabrication, a lie, a nice work of liturature at best, yet in the honest attempt to do so have come to faith.

Of course, your counter to that is again, "who do you believe?"  "how do you determine, who is right?"

Simply do the investigation, and if you begin to have faith, you will be able to discern who is truthful and who isn't.

Of course, no one is perfect, but some are correct in their interpretation of the plan of salvation.

That's about all I can tell you at this time.  If you want to discuss this further, please feel free to IM me, and I'll give you my email address, and we can discuss this offline.  I don't claim to have [i]all[/i] the answers, but I do have faith, and I enjoy the challenge that "defending" the faith brings - it actually builds my faith.  For that I thank you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top