Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Who wants to bet Jesse Jackson will say whitey done did it?

Also, Page 2 SNIPER
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh. Might bring up the values in the area for empty lots instead of shitty homes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of (once) beautiful architecture in Detroit.

It's a shame really. As a Michigander I've only been to Detroit proper once, and I don't care to go back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine - young guy from church - called me a few weeks ago asking if I'd ever been to Detroit.  I've only ever been to the airport but I know enough from reading the news and GD that Detroit is a first class shithole that should be avoided at all costs.  Well, his wife is enrolling in some online grad school and she had to go to Detroit for an interview or something.  I told him that it would be a shithole and to watch his six at all times and not leave his wife alone except for at the school when necessary.  I could tell that he thought I was blowing things out of proportion.

I talked to him on Saturday and he said it was worse than he ever imagined.  Worse than I had said.  Bad.  Just really, really bad.  I'm sure he hopes he never has to return.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see the William Tecumseh Sherman Urban Renewal Plan is in effect.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I'm not one to joke about others misfortune.... But that is funny

Columbia SC burned in large part due to excess of loose and baled cotton that filled the city.  Pretty sure there are no cottton-pickers in Detroit, so you can't blame Sherman's guys this time.

Your post is a COC booby trap.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been to Detriot in about four or five years now.

Used to love going to the Detroit Auto Show, Comerica Park, Second City, and Greek Town, but its just so overrun with homeless and its damn near impossible not to come into contact with them. Then you have to ask yourself "is this guy a harmless homeless guy or a stab in the gut homeless guy?" Plus, every time I leave my vehicle anywhere even in a parking ramp with security I spend the whole time worrying about someone breaking into it. So, its just got to the point where any pleasure I could receive by attending an event there was far outweighted by the negatives.

Hell, you don't even dare come to a full and complete stop anymore in Metro Detroit out of the very real possibility that you'll get car jacked. Everywhere you go it's like you're in some remake of Escape from New York movie with abandoned buildings and burned out cars.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I talked to him on Saturday and he said it was worse than he ever imagined.  Worse than I had said.  Bad.  Just really, really bad.  I'm sure he hopes he never has to return.  

I've been a few times... it's definitely not a nice place to visit.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If this keeps up, Detroit could be ruined!

The fires will probably cause millions of dollars in improvements.

The damages will be in the hundreds!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Well played!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hell, you don't even dare come to a full and complete stop anymore in Metro Detroit out of the very real possibility that you'll get car jacked. Everywhere you go it's like you're in some remake of Escape from New York movie with abandoned buildings and burned out cars.

Escape from NY was actually filmed (partially) in St. Louis, another terrible shithole.

And there is a remake scheduled for 2013... think they'll film it in Detroit?

Detroit is offering a lot of tax incentives to the film industry. I guess if it's still standing in a few years it'll make a fine candidate.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
This means more Detroiters will be relocating to the burbs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Who wants to bet Jesse Jackson will say whitey done did it?

Also, Page 2 SNIPER

Must be the same white folks that stole the wheels off his Escalade.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
With any luck...damn I forgot marshmellows
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The march to the lake?
LOL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#16]
sad
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck unions.

Fuck obamma.

ETA. Fuck detroit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#18]
They didn't win any sports championships - so what are they protesting?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One may hope...that the fire spreads to Washington, DC.  

yes, hope and pray the conflagration spreads all the way to D.C.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Escape from NY was actually filmed (partially) in St. Louis, another terrible shithole.

Detroit is offering a lot of tax incentives to the film industry. I guess if it's still standing in a few years it'll make a fine candidate.

... ahem, I believe the filming took place in EAST St. Louis, Illinois. Now, there are some areas in the north sections of St. Louis city in Missouri that could have been used for the filming but generally speaking, it's the areas across the Mississippi river over on the Illinois side that truly illustrate 'ghetto' conditions.

Oddly enough, a few of the 'road side landmarks' that used to typify the east side ghetto have been torn down... and in their place are 'new' homes! Apparently, there are still some families with a long history there who refuse to leave and who refuse to accept the ghetto conditions inflicted on their neighborhoods. In no way could this be mistaken for neighborhood stabilization or revitalization. No way would I ever encourage visiting the east side unless it was for the express purpose of acquiring hookers & blow!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]
80 homes?

Hundreds of dollars, lost.

ETA: Beat by minutes. Posted from my phone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]

I hope the Hardore Pawn shop is safe.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is an interesting fact about Detroit that I recently ran across.  The cities of Boston, San Francisco and the borough of Manhattan would all fit inside the city limits of Detroit at the same time with room to spare. However, Detroit has about a quarter of the population. At one time Detroit was the fifth largest city in the US with 1.8 million population. Now it has about 800k.  The large land area of the city limits combined with the large exodus of people have left large areas of the city depopulated. Hence abandoned houses, factories and commercial buildings.  It really does look like and urban prairie in some places.

The good news is that driving within the city off the expressways is fast and easy. So few people work and live there now  that the roads are wide open and empty. Most of us suburbanites take the expressways in rush hour through and around the city, I started driving through city on surface roads and have found traffic to have gone down considerably in the last 10 years or so as even the middle class blacks have abandoned the city.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just clearing the land for the urban farms.

1st reply wins again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Sadly, I can report the fires are out and the festering wound called Detoilet is still there. Just rode through it on my Buell to get to work, great aroma in two additional places noticed. Of course the gag inducing daily waft from the garbage incinerator (junction of I75 and I94) was present.
Quoted:

... The large land area of the city limits combined with the large exodus of people have left large areas of the city depopulated. Hence abandoned houses, factories and commercial buildings.  It really does look like and urban prairie in some places.

I have personally seen wild pheasants running on the sidewalk and through tall grass two blocks north of Ford Field, big ol ringneck too. Near Brush and Winder

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[div]Check out this video about Detroit firefighters.
http://thebravestonline.com/news.html?view=1&id=29338

I don't see how the status quo is sustainable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... ahem, I believe the filming took place in EAST St. Louis, Illinois. Now, there are some areas in the north sections of St. Louis city in Missouri that could have been used for the filming but generally speaking, it's the areas across the Mississippi river over on the Illinois side that truly illustrate 'ghetto' conditions.

Not just. List of filming locations:

California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, California, USA

(The scene where Snake tries to start the Datsun and one of the Duke of New York's minions comes out of the engine compartment was filmed in the Main Lobby of Cal Arts.)

Chain of Rocks Bridge, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(59th Street Bridge)

Civil Courts Building - Twelfth Street, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(hideout of Brain)

Cnr. Broadway & St Charles Street, Downtown, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(airplane crash)

Doheny Library - 3550 Trousdale Parkway, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA

(downstairs library entrance)

Downtown, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

East St. Louis, Illinois, USA

Fox Theater - 527 N. Grand Boulevard, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(Broadway theatre relics)

Grand Hall, Union Station - 1 St Louis Union Station, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(fight in Madison Square Gardens)

Indian Dunes, California, USA

(Glider sequences)

Liberty Island, New York Harbor, New York City, New York, USA

Los Angeles, California, USA

New York City, New York, USA

New York Harbor, New York City, New York, USA

San Fernando, California, USA

Santa Clarita, California, USA

Sepulveda Basin, Los Angeles, California, USA

(Air Control Central Sequences)

St. Joseph, Missouri, USA

St. Louis, Missouri, USA

The Wiltern - 3790 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, California, USA

Union Station - 1 St Louis Union Station, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

(fight in Madison Square Gardens)

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if the tax incentives exceed the security costs. Which based on what I am reading that is doubtful.........

They just made Red Dawn in Detroit... I didn't hear about any problems, but who knows?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:47:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I sho hope it din't burn up ma food stampts
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#31]

+1.

I'd like to know that myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A friend of mine - young guy from church - called me a few weeks ago asking if I'd ever been to Detroit.  I've only ever been to the airport but I know enough from reading the news and GD that Detroit is a first class shithole that should be avoided at all costs.  Well, his wife is enrolling in some online grad school and she had to go to Detroit for an interview or something.  I told him that it would be a shithole and to watch his six at all times and not leave his wife alone except for at the school when necessary.  I could tell that he thought I was blowing things out of proportion.

Where did you guys go in detroit? Wayne state university?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This means more Detroiters will be relocating to the burbs.

The burbs are becoming worse and worse each year. I know my graduating year was the last decent year they had in that high school.... I wont enroll my kids here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Windy with very little humidity yesterday. My fiancee got a 'fire weather' alert or something like that on her phone, funny enough...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#36]
THINK OF THE PROPERTY VALUES!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Some of them probably were started by the high winds knocking down power lines since Detroit's infrastructure has been deteriorating over the past years. It doesn't get much priority with the utility maintenance probably because there are so few paying customers anyways. I have seen water line breaks run for weeks and large communication cables lay on the ground for even longer near where I used to work where the homes were sparsely occupied.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One may hope...that the fire spreads to Washington, DC.  

Why?...Zeroes always on "vacation" and never there anyways.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Talked with my dad about this earlier.  He thinks this guy did this before in highland park.  The fires are lit with planning were they will be spread by wind.  Whoever is doing it knows how to light them fast then move to another site before anyone can react.  It might end up being a firefighter doing it.  They tend to be prime suspects when this type of outbreak is going on.

They had a similar problem in Flint last year when they had that budget fight, the same night they took a bunch of police and fire people off they had a bunch of fires.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nobody would notice if everything burned to the ground.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if the tax incentives exceed the security costs. Which based on what I am reading that is doubtful.........

They just made Red Dawn in Detroit... I didn't hear about any problems, but who knows?

They're currently filming Detroit 187 in Hamtramck, Transformers 3 in Corktown, and Hostel 3 at the Russell Industrial center (where my band practices). No security problems at any of those locations, at least according to the crews that I've personally spoke to.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Unfortunately the wind died down too early.

J-
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I haven't been to Detriot in about four or five years now.

Used to love going to the Detroit Auto Show, Comerica Park, Second City, and Greek Town, but its just so overrun with homeless and its damn near impossible not to come into contact with them. Then you have to ask yourself "is this guy a harmless homeless guy or a stab in the gut homeless guy?" Plus, every time I leave my vehicle anywhere even in a parking ramp with security I spend the whole time worrying about someone breaking into it. So, its just got to the point where any pleasure I could receive by attending an event there was far outweighted by the negatives.

You used to love going down but NOW the homeless are too much for you? It used to be worse with the panhandlers. Too bad a guy asking you for change terrifies you to the point of abandoning the city. The car thing too. I spend most days in the city for at least part of the time, and never have a problem. People are pussies these days. Crime is better than it was in the early 90s yet people are twice as scared. The crack about not coming to a complete stop in metro detroit is telling as well. Just how far outstate are you?  As a lifelong metro Detroiter imnot going to lie and say the city is doing good, but with as many cops as you see downtown, I can't believe how scared people are to go to events unless they just have never gone. The neighborhoods are fucked, I'll give you that. The metro area is hit hard, but has some of the safest cities in the country too. Itsnot a simple situation, but I suppose that's what confuses so many around here. GD needs absolutes to function.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope Rabbit makes it out alive.  

http://library.duke.edu/lilly/film-video/images/eight-mile.jpg

Proof  Didn't
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Detroit wins again!!!

What you did there.......... I see it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If this keeps up, Detroit could be ruined!

The fires will probably cause millions of dollars in improvements.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Omni Consumer Products, just razing the area for New Detriot...I would hold either Clarnece Boddicker or Dick Jones responsible
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope Rabbit makes it out alive.  

http://library.duke.edu/lilly/film-video/images/eight-mile.jpg

Proof  Didn't

Please don't ban me

ETA: it was obnoxiously big anyway
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top