User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They steal it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is it 1912?  Are we going back to hating the Irish?
Nope, Gypsies

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A group of them got busted in Central FL by stealing so many goods from stores they converted residential homes into storage and distribution centers. Imagine a basic 3/2 home filled from floor to ceiling with everything a Walmart has inside.  

They are the modern day equivalent of horse thieves and should be hung or shot-on-sight.  If you can run a scam on it, they will do it.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like all strains of gypsies, they're fucking criminals.

+1
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing Irish about them.  
Ever talk with any of them? You can be talking to 19 and 20 year olds from Texas, and they all speak with an Irish brogue.

They are not Irish, they are Gypsies. That they can speak with an Irish broque just means that they lived in Ireland for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Running scams is usually harder work than honest labor. So why do it?

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. This is hating Gypsys.  That's a much older hate.

They also make money stealing good christian children and putting curses on good honest folk.

Was that irrational enough for you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. This is hating Gypsys.  That's a much older hate.

They also make money stealing good christian children and putting curses on good honest folk.

Was that irrational enough for you.

Hope that is sarcasm...

If the overwhelming majority of members of a certain culture have a track record of systematic scamming and stealing, as a way of living that is acceptable or even expected in their culture, and if they have other cultural "traits" like arranged underage marriages and other things that the law frowns upon, and if they proudly maintain and defend these "cultural differences", then I think it is safe to assume the worst when dealing with one of them, and protect yourself appropriately.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
They travel the country doing all types of scams, driveway sealing, roofing, etc. They come through my area every summer and leave a trail of angry, usually elderly victims in their wake. They are also very good at stealing, one year about 10 of them came into a local Mom and Pop grocery store, one faked a seizure which got everyone's attention, while that was going on several others stole pretty much everything that wasn't nailed down including about $3000 in cash from a back room safe that was open. Then they all got up and left on some prearranged signal. They are the scum of the earth. They honestly believe that it is OK to steal from anyone but other Gypsies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
If you got paid in cash (no taxes) you could make 60% of your current income and still afford your current lifestyle.

Think about that for a minute.

Now reduce your house to a $10,000 pimped travel trailer with no payments cause you saved that $10,000 scamming and working untill you turned 18, and it's not hard to see how they have 50k to blow on a wedding dress.

Also they milk the piss out of any and all forms of goverment assistance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Theft and scams. They live for free on other people land, illegally tap in to water and power, etc.

Yup. They have been outed in Europe. They are now doing it in the us. I was at the omni hotel in ft worth not too long ago and a group of them were there. They started a massive fight in the lobby. All the security and staff rushed to the lobby to break it up. While the staff was breaking it up, several of them went upstairs and broke into rooms. They took all the luggage out of one of my associates rooms. Police found it along with several others luggage in their rooms when the hotel kicked them out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever talk with any of them? You can be talking to 19 and 20 year olds from Texas, and they all speak with an Irish brogue.

They are not Irish, they are Gypsies. That they can speak with an Irish broque just means that they lived in Ireland for awhile.
Perhaps, but no real way of knowing by asking, although all have Irish names. In fact, of all the ones I've dealt with, they only have about a half dozen names in the collective community. A whole lotta picking and grinning going on with those folks.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw them in a bar once. Rushed in, ordered drinks. Talked with the locals. 10 minutes later they all just rushed out.

They stole money off the bar. The tip jar. All the balls on the pool table AND the pool cues. We think they pushed them out the bathroom window to an accomplice. Shorted the bartender on the bill and just walked out without a care in the world.

None of us even knew what was going on, even after it was over. About an hour later the owner came in and the bartender explained what happened. before the end of the story he just threw his hands up and yelled "Fucking irish gypsies !"

How many are there in the United States ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll just +1 to what others have said.  SCUM.

Here's one though that Texas took care of.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/irish-traveller-to-die-behind-bars-after-one-scam-too-many-124307.html

"Last Monday, after hearing evidence that Rickey Allen Daugherty, a member of an Irish Traveller group, had duped an 80-year-old woman out of $12,000 for a con repair job to the guttering on her house, a jury sentenced him to life imprisonment. Under Texas law, Daugherty, 58, will die in prison."

"Even by Texas standards, which has the most severe sentencing record and highest death penalty rulings of any US state, Daugherty's sentence was harsh. It reflects the anger at the systematic scamming of lonely, elderly people by cruel professional con artists like Daugherty.
 It took the Harris County jury just 18 minutes to send Daugherty away to prison for the rest of his natural life after hearing he had conned two elderly women, convincing both that they needed urgent repairs to their houses"

"The case again drew attention to the activities and culture of the 'Irish Traveller' community in the US. In 2002, Madelyne Gorman Toogood became infamous when CCTV pictures of her repeatedly punching her four-year-old daughter in the back seat of her car were broadcast across America.

Toogood was said to have been infuriated with the child after a failed shoplifting expedition."

i don't EVER say this but GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Leprechauns?  or is leprecons
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
One of the largest if not the largest clan/group of Irish Travelers in the U.S. live in SC on the Edgefield/Aiken County line.  I've lived in the area all my life and know a good bit about them.  They are engaged in all kinds of criminal activities from gambling to the painting scams other posters have talked about.  One scam I rarely hear anyone mention is the insurance scam.  You almost never see an elderly Traveler around here.  They take out large insurance policies on the older members of the family and that family member then does nothing medically to prolong their life.  I got that straight from the mouth of an older fairly prominent member of the clan.  

The latest generation or two have taken to the drug trade and doing drugs themselves.  The old Travelers see it as the downfall of their culture.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One of the largest if not the largest clan/group of Irish Travelers in the U.S. live in SC on the Edgefield/Aiken County line.  I've lived in the area all my life and know a good bit about them.  They are engaged in all kinds of criminal activities from gambling to the painting scams other posters have talked about.  One scam I rarely hear anyone mention is the insurance scam.  You almost never see an elderly Traveler around here.  They take out large insurance policies on the older members of the family and that family member then does nothing medically to prolong their life.  I got that straight from the mouth of an older fairly prominent member of the clan.  

The latest generation or two have taken to the drug trade and doing drugs themselves.  The old Travelers see it as the downfall of their culture.

I know exactly what  you are talking about.. when I  go see my sister in Augusta,GA.. i drive thru Saluda and  on 122 I think..( cant remember exactly what road that is )  right before the interstate there are houses that are  HUGE and very expensive.. I mentioned that to my sister once and she told me those where Gypsies.. Houses  are bought with insurance money ..Insurance  they take out on their old  people.. and oddly enough .. not a lot of old people around or they die.. suddenly..lol
I am German and  grew up in Germany with these folks..
They used to come around with their sharpening wheels and  sharpen my moms scissors and knifes.. but  yeah. they got a bad name in Germany and are scam artists... they lie. steal and will stab you in the back in a heartbeat ..
And i find it  kind of funny that the original gypsies where all black haired and brown eyed... a lot of them are blonde and blue eyed.. odd. .very odd
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are they really ethnic Irish?  From what I've read real Irish despise them.

Many of these Euro scum types - Irish Travelers, Gypsies, Albanians - do well in the US because Europeans won't put up with their bullshit for long.  

I met an older Spanish priest once who told me some interesting stories about how Gypsies were dealt with by the Guardia Civil in Franquist Spain.  Basically they'd take up position outside their settlements then march through, cracking heads as they torched their shacks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#21]
It's about Taxes.  If you didn't pay them, you'd be filthy rich too...
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Theft and scams. They live for free on other people land, illegally tap in to water and power, etc.

+1
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The old Travelers see it as the downfall of their culture.

Well, shit, I just hate that for them.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
A gypsy born is a gypsy bred.
It is like shitting on a stick and calling it a rose, just because you label it one thing (roma, traveler etc.) does not make it anything other than a turd on a god damned stick.

We have two gypsy clans out here, the only way to tell the difference between the men and the women is the women have more facial hair, they all have the same creepy shit water color skin, all talk the blubbering mumbles and all have the inbred lazy evil eye.
God I hate them with such a deserved passion, they have earned it.

One got busted for acting retarded and collecting SSI, I had a run in with him later and laughed in his face, since he was out on bond and over state lines I called the popo who gladly snatched him up.
Another scumbag gypo had his home ripped to the studs by the IRS, they found about 4.5 million stashed in his house and arrested him.  He somehow beat it and got back a goodly chunk of his ill gotten gains.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Even the Irish hate the travellers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you got paid in cash (no taxes) you could make 60% of your current income and still afford your current lifestyle.

Think about that for a minute.

Now reduce your house to a $10,000 pimped travel trailer with no payments cause you saved that $10,000 scamming and working untill you turned 18, and it's not hard to see how they have 50k to blow on a wedding dress.

Also they milk the piss out of any and all forms of goverment assistance.

Now move the tax burden from income tax to a sales tax and the scum off the earth no longer get  a free lunch.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
The Irish travellers and the Roma are not the same people.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Well, they're all just gypsies. 'Roma' is just some PC bullshit the gypsies have started fairly recently peddling.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they're all just gypsies. 'Roma' is just some PC bullshit the gypsies have started fairly recently peddling.

Irish travelers are not the same ethnic background as Gypsies.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Roma' is just some PC bullshit the gypsies have started fairly recently peddling.

Huh? They've been calling themselves that in Europe for over 80 years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#31]
if "TLC" is glamorizing a lifestyle you know there has to be some level of wrong going on.

Less Gypsies would translate into more Copper. If they are such a proud people than they should start policing their own (won't ever happen).
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#32]
The "Irish" travellers of Murphy's village , located in Aiken S.C.  are no more "Irish" than I am.

How do they make thier money??  They have more scams than can be kept up with.   But mainly by victimizing the elderly.  And they steal like crazy. From everybody.  Both the males and the females.  And they do marry thier kin.  And at very young ages.   Not unheard of for a 12 yo girl to be married to a male in his 30's, 40's. These marriages are usually arranged by the girls family.

And no one should worry about them being to afford money for dresses.     They have have the best of everything.   Houses, cars, trucks..........you name it.   If you are ever in Aiken county S.C. just drive down U.S highway 25 near I-20 heading towards Edgefield.   The huge houses with the tinfoil over the windows belong to them.

Nobody of Irish decent should confuse themselves with these people.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'Roma' is just some PC bullshit the gypsies have started fairly recently peddling.

And they've been the scourge of honest people in Europe for over a 1000 years, while being known as 'Gypsies' and other regional variations. Point being that the whole push to use 'Roma' is their effort to distance themselves from the very word 'Gypsy'. Its really only been taking off in the few decades.

The only people who speak kindly of them are the sort who've never had to deal with them. You won't find a lot of 'Gypsy Memorials' in SE Europe, even though about 1 or so million Gypsies were killed in WW2. Take from that what you will.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You telling me that we stopped at some point.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No. We're after the ignorant, and you've got a bullseye on your back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I grew up in the Augusta area in a large catholic church every Sat night for 5pm mass the Travelers would pack Mass and then leave right before the end to get the best seats at nearby bars/restaraunts. Drove our pastor nuts and one day he finally went off about "friends from North Augusta" Only standing ovation I have ever seen during a Catholic church
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#38]
There was one that got caught on camera hitting her kid in the parking lot of a mall in Indiana a few years ago.  She claimed to be disciplining her kid, but IIRC she still got charged.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they've been the scourge of honest people in Europe for over a 1000 years, while being known as 'Gypsies' and other regional variations. Point being that the whole push to use 'Roma' is their effort to distance themselves from the very word 'Gypsy'. Its really only been taking off in the few decades.
The only people who speak kindly of them are the sort who've never had to deal with them. You won't find a lot of 'Gypsy Memorials' in SE Europe, even though about 1 or so million Gypsies were killed in WW2. Take from that what you will.

I'm not speaking kindly of them just pointing out that the term Roma and Romani are not "fairly recent" terms they've been using.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately yes. I get the fake accent but not a one of them have ever set foot on Erin.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps, but no real way of knowing by asking, although all have Irish names. In fact, of all the ones I've dealt with, they only have about a half dozen names in the collective community. A whole lotta picking and grinning going on with those folks.  

Chosen names. They are all assumed identities as none of them go by their real names.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I saw them in a bar once. Rushed in, ordered drinks. Talked with the locals. 10 minutes later they all just rushed out.

They stole money off the bar. The tip jar. All the balls on the pool table AND the pool cues. We think they pushed them out the bathroom window to an accomplice. Shorted the bartender on the bill and just walked out without a care in the world.

None of us even knew what was going on, even after it was over. About an hour later the owner came in and the bartender explained what happened. before the end of the story he just threw his hands up and yelled "Fucking irish gypsies !"

How many are there in the United States ?

A few thousand at most but one is too many.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only run-in I had with a Irish traveler was a good one. I used to drag race a lot at the local track when I was younger and they would frequent the place. I was 16 or 17 and shredded a fan belt, didn't have a spare because I was racing on a shoestring budget with my every day driver. I walked the pit looking for a belt, last stop was the pikeys, they had one. I offered them the last $20 I had and they gave it to me for free.

Nobody else could help you because the travelers had already stole their extra belts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. We're after the ignorant, and you've got a bullseye on your back.

Great.  I'm outta here before everyone gets their pitchforks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone in this thread need to watch "knuckles" on Netflix.

Pikeys.

That was pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Irish Travelers and Gypsies are the only 2 groups where I can look the other way regarding their civil rights as we declare open season on every one of them.

Man, Woman and child should be dragged to open pits, shot and buried like rabid animals.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread gypped me of valuable time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nope, but they share an amazing number of ill traits.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I understand we have a group of these folks in White Settlement, TX.  I was surprised to read this on wiki.  My step-son lives there, and I don't remember ever hearing anything about them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Memphis  TN, Shelby Dr. Can't remember cross street. Trailer park. Just about every pickup in the place has a fuel tank and pump hose in the bed of the truck.Spooky place! Travellers.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top