5. I am in the 1%
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you hate capitalism.. And freedom. Their business their rules...that is the union hating ARF com way.

I do not know if the posters that espouse archo-capitalism on here are driven by blind ideological purity, naivety, self-hatred or are paid shills but unless you are in the 1% (or heck maybe the .5%) what is happening is NOT going to benefit you at all. Most Americans have been getting screwed by globalization and will continue to be at an accelerating rate as it touches more and more job types and areas of the country. Companies like Intel are not going to care if they layoff all their employees in the US and move to India if it will help their bottom line. Those of you thinking it can't happen to my job/my company are just like the Jews thinking that as long as they kept making stuff for the Nazis they were safe, nope they got put on the train anyway - but after everyone else. Its putting your head in the sand.

A functioning democracy cannot exist where you have 95% of the population on the dole or in poverty with a very small or non-existent chance of improving their lot while a ruling class of politicians, corporate executives and celebrities see themselves as citizens of the world and not the US.

Since companies have abused the visa program for years I do not think they can be trusted with and it needs to be abolished completely. There need to be tariffs in place that MATCH the tariffs that specific country put on those exact types of goods from the US - I dont think ANYONE can argue this is not fair. Finally, if a company wants to pull out of the US it needs to cost them and cost them big - at least a 50% exit tax for corporate earnings with NO loopholes. If they get caught cooking the books it should have a 100% penalty on TOP of the 50% exit tax. They need to obey laws the same as you and me, think what would happen to anyone on here if we got caught violating laws like ITAR, massive fines and/or FPMITA prison, why should  companies be able to buy their way out for pennies on the dollar?

You have no idea what you are talking about. It would do you some good to look up statistics on the productivity of American workers vs. any 3rd world shit hole. Hour for hour, dollar for dollar, American workers are VASTLY more productive than Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Haitian, Malaysian, and any other 3rd world nation's workers. Combine that with our infrastructure and stability and you have an environment for productivity that no other nation on earth has.

It isn't until you have a combined effort by our government, through onerous taxation, and foreign governments, through tariffs, that the productivity of American workers lose the ability to compete in the labor market and corporations begin looking for alternatives. Even with those conditions, the U.S. has the 2nd highest industrial output in the world.

Lowering the domestic corporate tax burden (which is #1 in the world) would make the U.S. a magnet for corporations and would actually treat the disease. Throwing up tariffs will only treat the symptoms.

Pick which category you fit into and bold it:

1. blind ideological purity
2. naivety
3. self-hatred
4. paid shill
5. I am in the 1%

6. I have a brain and an education beyond high school
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

This isn't "free market", this is flat out corporatism corruption and the politicians of both sides just lap it up.

You want to move your plant to some 3rd world country with no industrial base and no IP protections?  Fine, that's your choice, but this is collusion to fuck over American citizens.
View Quote

Companies like Intel get the benefits of American markets and capital.  

Then Intel pays off payoff American politicians, who provide:

- H1Bs that allow cheap foreign workers to be be hired and American workers to be fired.  

- "Free Trade" agreements (like the Trans-Pacific Partnership) that assists companies in relocating their operations to Vietnam and similar places.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do not know if the posters that espouse archo-capitalism on here are driven by blind ideological purity, naivety, self-hatred or are paid shills but unless you are in the 1% (or heck maybe the .5%) what is happening is NOT going to benefit you at all. Most Americans have been getting screwed by globalization and will continue to be at an accelerating rate as it touches more and more job types and areas of the country. Companies like Intel are not going to care if they layoff all their employees in the US and move to India if it will help their bottom line. Those of you thinking it can't happen to my job/my company are just like the Jews thinking that as long as they kept making stuff for the Nazis they were safe, nope they got put on the train anyway - but after everyone else. Its putting your head in the sand.

A functioning democracy cannot exist where you have 95% of the population on the dole or in poverty with a very small or non-existent chance of improving their lot while a ruling class of politicians, corporate executives and celebrities see themselves as citizens of the world and not the US.

Since companies have abused the visa program for years I do not think they can be trusted with and it needs to be abolished completely. There need to be tariffs in place that MATCH the tariffs that specific country put on those exact types of goods from the US - I dont think ANYONE can argue this is not fair. Finally, if a company wants to pull out of the US it needs to cost them and cost them big - at least a 50% exit tax for corporate earnings with NO loopholes. If they get caught cooking the books it should have a 100% penalty on TOP of the 50% exit tax. They need to obey laws the same as you and me, think what would happen to anyone on here if we got caught violating laws like ITAR, massive fines and/or FPMITA prison, why should  companies be able to buy their way out for pennies on the dollar?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you hate capitalism.. And freedom. Their business their rules...that is the union hating ARF com way.

Your problem is that you're blaming companys for these issues, when the government is 100% to blame. The capital will flow based on the laws of economics. When government's make it uneconomical to operate in the US, business will either stop doing so or be trounced by competitors that stop doing so (or never did). Unless you have a monopoly, there are no real alternatives short of economic suicide. You want businesses / workers in the US? Have the gov stop getting in the way and increasing costs. There shouldn't be any corporate taxes. None. We pay them as consumers anyway. They're also shouldn't be a federal level EPA. Tort reform would help quite a bit too. Separate health insurance from employment completely, with employers offering, if they choose, a no strings attached "health care $" benefit instead, that could be compared apples to apples and be used on any kind of insurance or medical procedure. Right now we waste a shit ton of money and company man power on being health insurance providers. Complete waste of time.

Your exit tax will fail in every way imaginable and many that aren't. I can't think of a better way to eliminate big business in America. It would never work. You can already move billions with the click of a mouse. Your new tax would move all the companies HQs and leadership overseas faster than anything Intel is doing. I don't mean that company x would move, I mean they would be replaced by company y that is foreign to begin with.

I agree that we have crappy trade deals, but your simplistic approach isn't the answer. Sure, if Japan tarrifs the hell out of us made cars, then it's fair to traffic theirs coming here. Here's the problem, most trade items between most countries aren't a 2 way street. Simple example: Nicaragua makes lots of bananas (I don't know if they do or not, doesn't matter) with cheap labor but didn't make a car than any American would import. If they tariff the hell out of our cars from coming in and all those potential sales go to, say, the Koreans, how would increasing the us tariff on cars we import from Nicaragua deter anything? There's no market there. Cranking up the tariff on bananas, though, would make bananas from other countries cheaper, hurting Nicaraguas exports and, perhaps, encouraging them to open up markets to our stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your problem is that you're blaming companys for these issues, when the government is 100% to blame. The capital will flow based on the laws of economics. When government's make it uneconomical to operate in the US, business will either stop doing so or be trounced by competitors that stop doing so (or never did). Unless you have a monopoly, there are no real alternatives short of economic suicide. You want businesses / workers in the US? Have the gov stop getting in the way and increasing costs. There shouldn't be any corporate taxes. None. We pay them as consumers anyway. They're also shouldn't be a federal level EPA. Tort reform would help quite a bit too.

Your exit tax will fail in every way imaginable and many that aren't. I can't think of a better way to eliminate big business in America. It would never work. You can already move billions with the click of a mouse. Your new tax would move all the companies HQs and leadership overseas faster than anything Intel is doing. I don't mean that company x would move, I mean they would be replaced by company y that is foreign to begin with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your problem is that you're blaming companys for these issues, when the government is 100% to blame. The capital will flow based on the laws of economics. When government's make it uneconomical to operate in the US, business will either stop doing so or be trounced by competitors that stop doing so (or never did). Unless you have a monopoly, there are no real alternatives short of economic suicide. You want businesses / workers in the US? Have the gov stop getting in the way and increasing costs. There shouldn't be any corporate taxes. None. We pay them as consumers anyway. They're also shouldn't be a federal level EPA. Tort reform would help quite a bit too.

Please, stop with your logic. Blaming corporations and raising taxes makes you a patriot and a true conservative. Wanting to lower taxes makes you a shill of the corporatist fat cat 1%
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about. It would do you some good to look up statistics on the productivity of American workers vs. any 3rd world shit hole. Hour for hour, dollar for dollar, American workers are VASTLY more productive than Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Haitian, Malaysian, and any other 3rd world nation's workers. Combine that with our infrastructure and stability and you have an environment for productivity that no other nation on earth has.

It isn't until you have a combined effort by our government, through onerous taxation, and foreign governments, through tariffs, that the productivity of American workers lose the ability to compete in the labor market and corporations begin looking for alternatives. Even with those conditions, the U.S. has the 2nd highest industrial output in the world.

Lowering the domestic corporate tax burden (which is #1 in the world) would make the U.S. a magnet for corporations and would actually treat the disease. Throwing up tariffs will only treat the symptoms.

Pick which category you fit into and bold it:

1. blind ideological purity
2. naivety
3. self-hatred
4. paid shill
5. I am in the 1%

Education has zero to do with the validity of an argument - is Obama right all the time because he has a JD?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Education has zero to do with the validity of an argument - is Obama right all the time because he has a JD?
View Quote

That's nice. Maybe address my arguments before throwing out ad hominems and accusing me of being a corporate shill?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Typical GD, ranking about foreigners taking American jobs without know _any_ of the details.
View Quote

That's the bottom line right there.

They aren't "American" jobs, they're Intel's fucking jobs.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's nice. Maybe address my arguments before throwing out ad hominems and accusing me of being a corporate shill?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the numbers you are quoting are correct why is America bleeding jobs like a guy that got a mag dump in his chest? I think they are doing it because is cheaper to hire 4 guys making 25 bucks a day to replace one American making 250 bucks a day - no amount of deregulation will fix this. Unless the vast majority of the working population in the US wants to live like people in India or China the ONLY option is government making the importing of workers and the exporting of jobs less attractive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If the numbers you are quoting are correct why is America bleeding jobs like a guy that got a mag dump in his chest? I think they are doing it because is cheaper to hire 4 guys making 25 bucks a day to replace one American making 250 bucks a day - no amount of deregulation will fix this. Unless the vast majority of the working population in the US wants to live like people in India or China the ONLY option is government.
View Quote

Because you can live pretty fucking comfortably in the US these days just sitting on the couch smoking dope and voting for Democrats.  The "vast majority of the working population in the US" needs to learn how to do something those 4 Chinese (or whatever) guys can't or won't do.  If they don't, that isn't my fucking problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Typical GD, ranking about foreigners taking "American jobs" without knowing _any_ of the details.

Intel has 100,000+ employees spread across 60+ countries, only 51% of those employees are Americans.

Intel is restructuring, they are moving away from their old core businesses (PC processors) and focusing more on Internet of Things, mobile, and data centers.

They need to lay off the people whose skills are no longer needed, and in time hire more employees whose skills are in their new area of focus.

They haven't announced which facilities are closing, for all we know it could be 100%^ non-American.

One thing for the H-1B haters to consider - Intel has so many skilled employees overseas, prevailing wages are lower overseas, so why do they choose to bring them to the US (a long and expensive process) where they have to pay them more? maybe it is because kids overseas study engineering on college while Americans study social sciences.
View Quote

The fact that they spent money lobbying the government to get more H1B workers expressly to fire American workers and replace them with lower paid foreigners while still maintaining the same corporate footprint on American soil gives lie to your rosy & collegial view of the interaction between government, corporatations, and citizenry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the numbers you are quoting are correct why is America bleeding jobs like a guy that got a mag dump in his chest? I think they are doing it because is cheaper to hire 4 guys making 25 bucks a day to replace one American making 250 bucks a day - no amount of deregulation will fix this. Unless the vast majority of the working population in the US wants to live like people in India or China the ONLY option is government making the importing of workers and the exporting of jobs less attractive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

If you look at productivity by GDP produced per hour worked, only 2 countries outrank the U.S., Norway and Luxemborg. Besides Japan, Malaysia is the highest Asian country ranked at 16.47 GDP/hr. So if we were hiring Malaysian workers to replace an American worker we would need 67.32 / 16.47 = 4.08 Malaysians.

The average monthly wage, in dollars, for a Malaysian is $961.00 per month. So 4 Malaysians would cost roughly $3,844.00 per month or $46,128.00 per year. The average monthly salary in the U.S. is $3,263.00 or $39,156.00 per year. So Malaysians are actually more expensive. And this doesn't even take into account shitty 3rd world infrastructure or shipping our product across the Pacific Ocean.

So, like I said, Americans are vastly more productive and worth more in terms of productivity. The problems start when you look at what has to be paid in taxes by the corporation to employ the American worker. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, state income taxes, and the list goes on and on. Then throw in the huge accounting departments it takes to calculate all of that shit. Then pile on the federal corporate income tax.

Americans aren't the problem. H1Bs aren't the problem, merely a symptom. The fuckwads taxing us into oblivion are the problem.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Corporations and government are the problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Ted Cruz approves of these lay offs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The government is causing the problem that corporations have to deal with. The only way to deal with it is to screw us.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The government is causing the problem that corporations have to deal with. The only way to deal with it is to screw us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some corporations are buying the government out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That would be illegal.

It's also not how things work. Intel isn't allocated a number of H1B slots that they can then use to fire Americans and hire foreigners.

They start out with a job vacancy. That vacancy has to offer the prevailing wage for the position/location (revailing wage info can be found here, they then have to advertise the position locally and show that no qualified US Citizens applied for the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that they spent money lobbying the government to get more H1B workers expressly to fire American workers and replace them with lower paid foreigners

That would be illegal.

It's also not how things work. Intel isn't allocated a number of H1B slots that they can then use to fire Americans and hire foreigners.

They start out with a job vacancy. That vacancy has to offer the prevailing wage for the position/location (revailing wage info can be found here, they then have to advertise the position locally and show that no qualified US Citizens applied for the job.

Lol, who is going to stop Intel? Companies do that all the time and I have never seen one so much get a fine out of it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That would be illegal.

They start out with a job vacancy. That vacancy has to offer the prevailing wage for the position/location (prevailing wage info can be found here), they then have to advertise the position locally and show that no qualified US Citizens applied for the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that they spent money lobbying the government to get more H1B workers expressly to fire American workers and replace them with lower paid foreigners

That would be illegal.

They start out with a job vacancy. That vacancy has to offer the prevailing wage for the position/location (prevailing wage info can be found here), they then have to advertise the position locally and show that no qualified US Citizens applied for the job.

They will just do what Disney did.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That would be illegal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be illegal.

Have you ever looked at job vacancies in the tech field?
Entry level programmer wanted.
Needs 10 years C++, Python, VHDL,M#,Assembly language
Must have 5 years experience with Industrial design software that you can only have access to if you've already been working in this industry for 5 years.

Oh, poor us, We can't find an American to do this work. Better give us more H1Bs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

whats the difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The chip-making giant said the mass firings are part of a "restructuring initiative” that will further its shift away from the PC business toward smart devices and cloud-based computing.

But the firings stand out in light of Intel’s lobbying to expand the H-1B visa program. In 2013, the company’s government affairs managers complained that Intel simply can’t find enough homegrown workers in technical fields to meet its needs. And in 2014, the company called for allowing the spouses and children of H-1B recipients to automatically qualify for work in the U.S. as well.

I had to stop reading, someone should tell these people that there's a difference between getting fired and getting laid off.

whats the difference?

It's harder to fire someone than lay them off. In theory layoffs are a cost saving strategy when companies encounter lean times. Philosophically they are similar to a furlough, with the tacit understanding that the employee will be welcomed back if business improves.  There are rules regarding how many people can be laid off, notice, refilling the position, etc.

Firing someone for cause requires more documentation and is more difficult. It is usually reserved for incompetence, neglect, poor conduct. It takes a good bit of effort to document the cause and stay out of court, tho' I've never seen a case where a fired employee contested the firing. I have seen evidence that unions will intervene.

From the employee's point of view, a layoff is fairly benign and is readily accepted as a reason for termination in a job interview.  Being laid off allows for unemployment benefits.

Being fired for cause is much less desirable, do not pass go, do not collect unemployment, and leaves a small stain on the resume. Best avoided.  

Quitting a job doesn't qualify for unemployment, either.

In practice, the lines are blurred. The Intel case was obviously a layoff. However, each department manager used the opportunity to shed poor performers or expensive older workers from the ranks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's harder to fire someone than lay them off. In theory layoffs are a cost saving strategy when companies encounter lean times. Philosophically they are similar to a furlough, with the tacit understanding that the employee will be welcomed back if business improves.  There are rules regarding how many people can be laid off, notice, refilling the position, etc.

Firing someone for cause requires more documentation and is more difficult. It is usually reserved for incompetence, neglect, poor conduct. It takes a good bit of effort to document the cause and stay out of court, tho' I've never seen a case where a fired employee contested the firing. I have seen evidence that unions will intervene.

From the employee's point of view, a layoff is fairly benign and is readily accepted as a reason for termination in a job interview.  Being laid off allows for unemployment benefits.

Being fired for cause is much less desirable, do not pass go, do not collect unemployment, and leaves a small stain on the resume. Best avoided.  

In practice, the lines are blurred. The Intel case was obviously a layoff. However, each department manager used the opportunity to shed poor performers or expensive older workers from the ranks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The chip-making giant said the mass firings are part of a "restructuring initiative” that will further its shift away from the PC business toward smart devices and cloud-based computing.

But the firings stand out in light of Intel’s lobbying to expand the H-1B visa program. In 2013, the company’s government affairs managers complained that Intel simply can’t find enough homegrown workers in technical fields to meet its needs. And in 2014, the company called for allowing the spouses and children of H-1B recipients to automatically qualify for work in the U.S. as well.

I had to stop reading, someone should tell these people that there's a difference between getting fired and getting laid off.

whats the difference?

Can you still apply for unemployment when fired vs being laid off?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Intel market is under massive pressure now that the mobile market has taken off and intel doens't support that for the most part. They hung their hat on atmo processors and nobody wanted them.  Mobile now is hevily invested in ARM processors which is not what intel makes it's money on. The margin is low on ARM processors, but companies are making a billion plus a year.

They're going to wind up like NEC did at one point. Left in the dust.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whats the difference?

You can apply for unemployment at any time. You're less likely (my understanding is, you won't) to get it if you're fired, or you have a job.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top