BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is the real reason we should not have the death penalty.

Too many mistakes are made in the legal system.

I believe it should only be used in cases where there is hard physical evidence (substantial presence of DNA, recording showing the perp murdering somebody etc). I believe in practice it is not used where the evidence is circumstantial. For instance, they were not seeking the death penalty in the case of Casey Anthony. They did not have enough hard evidence (although I would think evidence of a decomposing body in the trunk of her car was) and most of it was circumstantial.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Innocent until proven guilty

He was convicted in court by a jury based on misinformation. See my earlier comment to swingset that covers the exact same territory.  If you have a different definition of "innocence" that makes you feel all righteous and proud, then good for you. I was pointing out the technical, legal aspects; because that is the part that interests me and the part I get paid to focus on.

You left out a key detail.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is a true statement!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Was he one of the guys that should have been "taken out behind the court house and shot"?

Yes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a true statement!

Some are not mistakes. They are INTENTIONAL.
Look up Joyce Gilchrist and Bob Macy on Google.
Hundreds went to jail on falsified evidence and a dozen or so were executed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
iirc, the state of TX will pay him $50,000 per year he was wrongfully imprisoned...  

Should be 100 times that.  How can you put a price tag so low on 30 years of someones life?  and $50K a year?  Pre-Tax?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait.........do we still have a death sentance?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Texas Monthly had an article within the last couple of years about several of these cases. It seemed like most of the men involved wouldn't have been arrested if they weren't already known for, or under suspicion for similar crimes. Wrong place, wrong time seems to mean they were doing shady, illegal shit. I do think that any government official that knowingly causes someone to be falsely imprisoned, should be forced to serve the same sentence themselves.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

no, this is the reason im glad casey anthony was "not guilty"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Innocent until proven guilty

He was convicted in court by a jury based on misinformation. See my earlier comment to swingset that covers the exact same territory.  If you have a different definition of "innocence" that makes you feel all righteous and proud, then good for you. I was pointing out the technical, legal aspects; because that is the part that interests me and the part I get paid to focus on.

You left out a key detail.  

If by "Left out a key detail" you mean, "covered it in great detail in an earlier post made before you posted your initial response" then yes, I left it out.  You win the internets. Happy?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: What would you do if you got out after 30 years of hell.

It would be biblical .

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are right, I don't know that.
I guess the cynic in me has a gaullic presumption of guilt.  I am just not outraged at what happened to the man because this isn't a clear case of an innocent man jailed.  rather its a clear case of a man not given the full defense we afford people in the US.  which, in my opinion, is at times too much.  and our crime rates I believe reflect that overly liberal criminal justice system.

Our CJ system is a bureacracy. It is no different than the USAF in that respect. Yet you give the benefit of the doubt to the CJ system.

Our crime rate is reflective of our culture, not the CJ system. Unless you change the culture, you won't change the crime rate. In my opinion, it's a fair trade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess the cynic in me has a gaullic presumption of guilt.  I am just not outraged at what happened to the man because this isn't a clear case of an innocent man jailed.  rather its a clear case of a man not given the full defense we afford people in the US.  which, in my opinion, is at times too much.  and our crime rates I believe reflect that overly liberal criminal justice system.

Our CJ system is a bureacracy. It is no different than the USAF in that respect. Yet you give the benefit of the doubt to the CJ system.

Our crime rate is reflective of our culture, not the CJ system. Unless you change the culture, you won't change the crime rate. In my opinion, it's a fair trade.

Our judicial system is a money making business. I've heard it said from LEOs that is much easier to put an innocent man in prison than it is to get him out.
I know a large number of attorneys made a lot of money in my area from the Oklahoma Indigent Defense Fund when it had $44 Million allotted to it for people convicted on falsified evidence.
Now, almost 10 years later, there are still people incarcerated that are known to have been convicted on falsified evidence.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the 1st part, apt comparison.  To the cop, the perp is always wrong.  to the af, the guy on the ground is always wrong.

To the 2nd, welcome to democracy (which we weren't supposed to be)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the 1st part, apt comparison.  To the cop, the perp is always wrong.  to the af, the guy on the ground is always wrong.

No. Democracy is a type of government. That's not the issue. The issue is the culture.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Democracy is a type of government. That's not the issue. The issue is the culture.

In a democracy, the government is a reflection of the culture.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a democracy, the government is a reflection of the culture.

When a DA prosecutes someone he doesn't have enough evidence on for a conviction and then falsifies evidence to get that conviction, that's a reflection on the type of assholes that are elected by deceived and naive voters.
The judicial system is very much about politics and power.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Doesn't say he was innocent just says they suppressed evidence.
Not the same.

Should those involved go to jail, hell yes.

I agree.  Innocent and found not guilty are different things.  Perhaps the people who defended him should see if there is any DNA evidence left to examine...oh wait...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top