User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crap.  It's spring break again?  i thought I had another week at least before the drunken hordes descended.

There goes another offshore trip.  No way and I fighting my way thru that.

True. Of course, season's closed on just about everything anyway. They should open a season on Spring Breakers just to tide us over until the water warms up...

Texas, not Florida.   Spring Breakers on Padre Island.  The black drum and redfish are running hot on the flats right now and I was hoping to head down Monday thru Thursday.

Cobia and Spanish will be here soon but it's still too cold, too warm for speckled trout, redfish are doing okay but the rain has muddied the bay and they normally stack up in the pass right now due to the cleaner water.  I hold to my statement about open season on SBers, though
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crap.  It's spring break again?  i thought I had another week at least before the drunken hordes descended.

True. Of course, season's closed on just about everything anyway. They should open a season on Spring Breakers just to tide us over until the water warms up...

Texas, not Florida.   Spring Breakers on Padre Island.  The black drum and redfish are running hot on the flats right now and I was hoping to head down Monday thru Thursday.

Cobia and Spanish will be here soon but it's still too cold, too warm for speckled trout, redfish are doing okay but the rain has muddied the bay and they normally stack up in the pass right now due to the cleaner water.  I hold to my statement about open season on SBers, though

We're all waiting here, another 4-5 degrees of water temp and the Kings, Cobia and Spanish Mac will be close inshore for sure.

Trout are already running the flats when the sun warms the shallows up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't bring Coors across state lines that's bootleggin.

I'm gonna need a speedy car.

Why would you want to?  

East Bound and Down!

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Spring Breakers, with BOOZE?  I'm SHOCKED!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless there is some sort of intent to sell, I find part of that hard to believe, especially since you can bring duty free booze into the country.

Not anything approaching 5 gallons.

Federal law specifies duty free limits and covers importation.

State law governs bringing alcholohic beverages from state to state.

Virginia used to send ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) agents in to Washington, DC to watch for 'Christmas shoppers.

Virginia uses state liquor stores for hard liquor (but not beer and wine).

Bootlegging is what it is called.
The state wants the tax.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
what a load of horse shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're all waiting here, another 4-5 degrees of water temp and the Kings, Cobia and Spanish Mac will be close inshore for sure.

Trout are already running the flats when the sun warms the shallows up.

The trout here are stuck between "it's cold, get to the creeks" and "it's warm, get on the flats". This time of year is usually my biggest shooting month due to the lack of fishing
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was the arresting officer named Buford T. Justice?

I take it that the kids never saw this PSA.
http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/rockcandy/Image/smokey.jpg

First thing I thought of, more than likely just another archaic law on the books that can ruin peoples lives

That being said

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
we're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unless there is some sort of intent to sell, I find part of that hard to believe, especially since you can bring duty free booze into the country.

It's a tax issue. They don't want people importing booze into te state because doing such deprives them of tax revenue.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]
retract
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Residual effects of prohibition...enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Jesus fucking Christ.

Are you fucking kidding me?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illinois spring breakers jailed for booze
By Stephanie Nelson (Contact) | Andalusia Star-News

Published Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Price said 52, 12-ounce beers constitutes five gallons of alcohol.

Math fail.

umm, 52 x 12= 624oz.
624oz. / 128oz per gal.= 4.875 gals.

Its the government, they round up!

Doesn't matter. They had 240 beers.

That's 40 beers each.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tax issue. They don't want people importing booze into te state because doing such deprives them of tax revenue.

I've gotten booze off the internet. No telling how many counts I'd have against me between here and New York and Missouri.

They probably could have gotten a better price in Florida if they bought it retail.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I feel safer already.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty damn sad.

They are more than likely collage students with a good start on their future,
only to be ambushed by bullshit.

GM
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illinois spring breakers jailed for booze
By Stephanie Nelson (Contact) | Andalusia Star-News

Published Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Price said 52, 12-ounce beers constitutes five gallons of alcohol.

Math fail.

umm, 52 x 12= 624oz.
624oz. / 128oz per gal.= 4.875 gals.

Hey, give him a break.  He's from Alabama.  He's only got 9 fingers and 12 toes what for to help him with his cypherin'.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Traveling through the state and not consuming it in that state?    I wouldn't be surprised if their attorney can get it thrown out....

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This stuff is just out of control.

This.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#22]
That is just fucking embarassing.  How desperate is a LEO to drag that archaic bullshit out on some folks driving through.  I bet the ball swelling was epic for that LEO.  Way to get the bad guys off the street.  
How aboiut those Florala cops start pulling over all of the vehicles from Alabama that are dragging weed into Florida construction job sites.  Come on guys, does framing and sheetrock really pay that well?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's an ass-stabbing.  These kids were on the way to florida. There is about 0.0% chance Alabama is going to make any beer tax here.  These are alabama cops lying in wait at the Al/Fla border, most likely after the last Al  exit.  Map

Like that lawyer said –– we're all felons whether we know it or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#24]
52x12oz of beer / (128oz/gal)=4.88 gallons of beer.

They did not factor in that beer is only 5% alcohol.  so the real answer is .24 gallons of alcohol.

As such it would take 45 cases of beer to be 5 gallons of alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The American Government has criminalized such a wide swath of human behavior and conduct that I am sure we are all Felons-we just don't know it yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Glad to see the regulation of morality has found six more victims.  Interest of justice is high with this one.  

But according to a large number of posters in GD CA is the only state trying to legislate morality and that's the reason CA is broke.......

Brian
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#27]
The issue here is that taxes were not paid.

I suppose it IS illegal to interstate transport liquor, but it's be either a pretty chickenshit cop OR  a group of kids mouthing off for him to push an issue like this.

My guess is that if you dig deep enough the kids talked their way INTO this mess.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#28]
If Alabama is so fucking worried about alcohol taxes maybe they should pressure the 14 completely dry and 12 partially dry counties to allow alcohol sales....but you cant upset the Religious people down there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank God. I feel safer already knowing these young hardened criminals will be stripped of their right to vote and own firearms.

Break the law, pay the price. Oh well.

But it sounds like a bad plot for a new smokey and the bandit movie.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank God. I feel safer already knowing these young hardened criminals will be stripped of their right to vote and own firearms.

Sure, I put the people in the ovens, but I was just following orders.  

If that is too harsh, I apologize for the statement, but the truth of it remains.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a good thing I didn't get stopped when I rode my motorcycle from NorCal to Portland in Sept '08.....  I had more bottles of booze in my saddlebags than I had clothes - OR & WA both have state liquor stores and I can buy my dad's scotch for half of what it costs up there.......

Brian
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Rules are rules.  You legalize a drug you have to regulate it.  heck that's what the A in BATF is for
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where they drunk driving?

Where they reselling to underage drinkers?

If not, and these six guys (all over 21) face a "major felony incident" then something is terribly wrong in this country

Their ages show them as being over 21, and no mention of DUI ( a misdemeanor ) was mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The issue here is that taxes were not paid.

I suppose it IS illegal to interstate transport liquor, but it's be either a pretty chickenshit cop OR  a group of kids mouthing off for him to push an issue like this.

My guess is that if you dig deep enough the kids talked their way INTO this mess.

My very first thought as well––"Sounds like someone had a big mouth and a bigger attitude."  

Yankee college students, too; 10:1 the words "redneck cop"  were uttered somewhere in the conversation.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Where are all the folks that said "A felony is a felony, lock 'em up" in the felony break dancing thread?

First they came for the break dancers...
Then they came for the beer drinkers...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where are all the folks that said "A felony is a felony, lock 'em up" in the felony break dancing thread?

First they came for the break dancers...
Then they came for the beer drinkers...

Only in GD would someone make the above comparison.....

Brian

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is too harsh, I apologize for the statement, but the truth of it remains.  

Making a comparison between smuggling alcohol (no matter how unaware of the law they were) and the holocaust is possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  Illinois alcohol taxes were recently raise and are quite high.  I have serious doubt they were intentionally trying to evade taxes given that fact.  Not that buying goods in a neighboring state should constitute tax evasion anyway but....

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Freedom?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You can't bring Coors across state lines that's bootleggin.

I'm gonna need a speedy car.

Try a Trans Am

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Rules are rules.  You legalize a drug you have to regulate it.  heck that's what the A in BATF is for

Rules are rules.  You legalize a firearm you have to regulate it.  heck
that's what the F in BATF is for
derp

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Freedom?

Not in Alabama.  They were setting police dogs on black schoolchildren 50 years ago for not adhering to their fundamentalist views. No different than the religious police in Saudi Arabia.

What makes you think things have changed?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it sounds like a bad plot for a new Smokey and the bandit movie.

Making a comparison between smuggling alcohol (no matter how unaware of the law they were) and the holocaust is possibly the most ignorant statement I have ever heard.

comparing the two things are ignorant.  BUT this situation is exactly why some people don't care for law enforcement officers. These guys could have used some discretion and just made them pour it out. But no, book them for a felony. A FUCKING FELONY. You know how bad that fucks your shit up. That cop was a serious douchebag. I feel really bad for those kids. Anybody chiming in that he was just doing his job can foad. Enforcing Prohibition era laws is a sign of stupidity. Obvious powertrip overload on the cops part.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, if those college kids haven't been indoctrinated to be little leftist assholes who "hate the man", they sure will be now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Freedom?

Not in Alabama.  They were setting police dogs on black schoolchildren 50 years ago for not adhering to their fundamentalist views. No different than the religious police in Saudi Arabia.

What makes you think things have changed?

If you're trying to infer that racism is justified in Christianity, you are 100% wrong, and need to apologize.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WoW what a load of crap. "Do you know why I pulled you over? Here's a felony for having a legally purchased item." Good luck boys I feel for you

No different than if I was caught with my hand gun in Chicago. Bought it legally in Cali, can't drive with it in NY. Alcohol laws are stricter than most think. As far as alcohol goes, I am spoiled living in CA, I can buy and drink until I die. I went to Vancouver and Seattle a few months ago and could only find beer and wine. The old man told me I had to wait until the next morning to buy liquor at the state run liquor store, which closes at 8pm. Weed is more legal than booze in some places.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas, not Florida.   Spring Breakers on Padre Island.  The black drum and redfish are running hot around the rigs right now and I was hoping to head down Monday thru Thursday.

Spring breakers means a 4-hour wait for the ferry and guaranteed car burglaries amongst other things.

As someone who went to Spring Break down on Padre once upon a time, I really do feel for you.
If it helps any, I went as an 8th grader and went fishing for those drum and red fish, didnt care about the jaeger or drunk college girls yet
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's better then my reply.... Which probably would not have been COC compliant .....

I PRAY someday you get caught up in some bullshit felony TN.... So I can laugh in your fucking face when you come here to cry about how you didn't know picking up an eagle feather off the ground was a federal felony (or some other equally ridiculous law)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Umm, you better look up how much duty-free you can bring in, and IIRC the forms usually have a summary of state laws that might affect your transport of said import.

But yeah Alabama is not the paradise some think it is.  That said, they were the first state to mandate full jury duty pay by employers.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top