Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I am shocked at how many of you guys are okeydoky with the government telling the owner of a bar whether or not his patrons are allowed to smoke. It seems that several of you are perfectly happy to see no smoking in bars.

What if the bar owner wants to cater to smokers? Is it not his right as a businessman to make that decision? Cigarettes are legal to own and use are they not? The fact that a few states have totally lost sight of that fact does not make it less true.

Some of you need to learn what freedom really is all about. Just because we are less free today than we were a hundred or fifty or ten years ago does not give lawmakers carte blanche to continue the hobbling process. Attitudes that say "I don't smoke so no one else needs to in this restaurant/bar/office/park/stadium either" is how we get these ridiculous laws.

I read an article a few weeks back about a woman in New York. Divorced, she was in court over a visitation beef. The judge told her that the only way she could have visitation privilages was if she agreed not to smoke [b]in her own home[/b] while her son was there. Is that okay with you smoking regulationists? The government telling her what to do in her own home? If that's okay, then please do not come here whining when the next ox to be gored is your gun rights.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am shocked at how many of you guys are okeydoky with the government telling the owner of a bar whether or not his patrons are allowed to smoke. [b]bingo[/b] ,I recently Quit [:D] and rarley smoked in restraunts, however I voted against it for that reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The ironic part about these diehard shooters who are militant non-smokers is that they will probably die of lead particle inhalation from reloading or end up with a good case of Parkinson's from inhaling cleaning solvents for 60 years.

MickyMouse, I was smoking all day long at Bulletfest and you didn't say a word. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...And I do swear, the next asshole smoker driving in front of me, who throws his cigarette out his car window and lands in or hits my car will wish he got cancer earlier.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
View Quote

Sorry dude, I’ll change lanes next time.

And I will not force my smoke on anyone or any place that don’t want it.
I have the freedom to leave(with my money).
SSD
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never fails to amaze me. Wife and I go to a nice Jamacan style restaurant(anniversery), no GUNS in dining area, just the PARKING LOT. And wouldn't you know it, some dumbass women IS CARRYING CONCEALED. You would think that THE SIGN ON THE DOOR would be a clue to no CCW. She was nice enough to TAKE HER GUN TO THE CAR after the hostess told her no CCW in dining area. Boy to be so PARANOID that you can't quit BEING ARMED for an hour. Even I can stop talking HOW GORE WAS ROBBED OF THE ELECTION for three.
View Quote

How about a nice Canteen Cup of STFU!!
View Quote

Inappropriate comments removed.

Account locked.  Kindly check your e-mail.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

oh really why dont you go fuck yourself you ignorant piece of shit!

"snip"

go fuck your grandma you fuckin piece of cow shit go fuck yourself. and go to hell while your at it. im sure youll enjoy all the smoke there.
View Quote

This is a sure way to show everyone what a stable individual you are.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh really why dont you go fuck yourself you ignorant piece of shit!

"snip"

go fuck your grandma you fuckin piece of cow shit go fuck yourself. and go to hell while your at it. im sure youll enjoy all the smoke there.
View Quote

This is a sure way to show everyone what a stable individual you are.
View Quote

I was going to recommend that he read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", but I guess it's a little too late for that, isn't it? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
IBTL?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
WolfAR15, your comments are out of line.  Personal attacks and insults are a violation of the board regs and will get your account locked.  Please edit your post - or I will.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Cancer cures smoking!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
BenDover, I could care less if you smoke in the outdoors.  It is when I am cooped up with a smoker or one that believes his right to smoke trumps my right to breath fresh air that a problem ensues.

A constitutional right to keep and bear arms is clearly stated in the Second Amendment.  Where is smoking mentioned by name??  I don't care if you wish to kill yourself.  I DO OBJECT to you making ME uncomfortable or harming my health.  Smoke makes me ill and I consider that an attack.  Maybe I should take a dump on some idiots plate when he blows smoke in my face?  We all need to exercise a little more courtesy.  No one should be so tied to an addiction that they allow it to prevent them from exercising common courtesy.  Smokers rights do not superceed my right to breathable air!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with you MM. I consider myself a "courteous smoker". In fact, even as a smoker I HATE smoke blown in my face while I am eating.

However, what gets me is people who actually go into a bar or club and get pissy about someone's smoke. It goes with the territory (at least in Ohio).

BTW.. after my much heralded and failed attempt to quit smoking last year, I have been faithfully on the patch without a smoke for 6 days now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
MickyMouse, you talk about feeling comfortable, and WolfAR15 talks about feeling safe.  Don't you also think some people don't feel comfortable and safe because you are carrying a loaded firearm near them?

Shrug...

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
BenD, I NEVER go into a bar and sit down next to someone and ask them to not smoke!!  THAT would be very rude.  Neither do I ask them to not smoke in their own home, THAT is assinine.  I DO ask people to not smoke in MY home or MY car.  I DO EXPECT them to NOT smoke in a designated non-smoking area or facility.

Do I favor bans on smoking?  THAT is another subject.  I just expect peoplke to respect my right to breathe and obey the law.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Flicking a lit butt out the window is now a serious crime in Indiana. No shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
We are ALL guilty of failing to think of others and behave in a civilized manner.   I fail to consider others - every day - but I DO TRY to do better at that and suggest we all might make an effort to do the same.  I will not list my failures in this regard as GB couldn't afford the bandwidth!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I find that spitting Copenhagen in the general direction of an offending smoker usually does the trick.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I guess all you whiners dont have very good sex then do ya..?  We all know here in AMISH country, ya have ta Light one up when yare done screwin and got the job done right.
i'll tell ya now tho, some smoke does bother me
thats why I keep a box of Cotton balls by me bed then. I pack a couple up me nose and 2 in me ears then . For its 2 things me cant stand then, thats the smell of BURNING RUBBER AND A WOMAN A SCREAMIN, WELL NOW, AS WE SAY HERE IN AMISH COUNTRY,  To you winers,  "FAULKIN BLEWWWH MAAHHH"
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. the butt is bio-degradable since it all comes from nature
View Quote

Are they really, I've found cig butts buried in dirt that had to have been there many many years and they looked just the same, only dirty.  
View Quote

This is known as "cigarette butt fingerprinting".  
A little known plot foisted upon us decades ago by the Liberals...[;D]

Seriously, there are so many good points here on both sides.
Dipshit here still smokes, even after the 'beginnings of emphysema' prognosis a while back.
It's quite likely ANYBODY that smokes has this problem.  Some people who don't smoke have it, too.  
I'm sure working around diesel exhaust has helped a lot...
I'm almost ready to quit - again.  It gets easier to think about living without the addiction to nicotine everytime I get a cold or come up real short of breath.  OH!  I've got to BREATHE to stay alive!  DUH. [whacko]

Pardon me.  My MONKEY is screaming!
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never fails to amaze me. Wife and I go to a nice Jamacan style restaurant(anniversery), no GUNS in dining area, just the PARKING LOT. And wouldn't you know it, some dumbass women IS CARRYING CONCEALED. You would think that THE SIGN ON THE DOOR would be a clue to no CCW. She was nice enough to TAKE HER GUN TO THE CAR after the hostess told her no CCW in dining area. Boy to be so PARANOID that you can't quit BEING ARMED for an hour. Even I can stop talking HOW GORE WAS ROBBED OF THE ELECTION for three.
View Quote

How about a nice Canteen Cup of STFU!!
View Quote

BTW, this is excellent.  May I use it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
A constitutional right to keep and bear arms is stated in the Second Amendment. Does the Constitution or any amendment say anything about smoking. If not then you do not have the right to smoke and can not compare it to owing firearms.

Cig buts do not decay and become one with nature, they sit on the street, sidewalk, grass and are nothing more than a nasty eyesore. Then you have the smokers that flick lit cigz out the window and bounce off you're car in a blaze of sparks really upsetting the driver.

Oh and how many fires are started every year by the jerk flicking a cig out the window of the car into dry grass.

Smokers who smoke in desagnated areas are great, just don't take that last deep inhalation then walk past me blowing it out into my face or think that just becuse you are sitting right on the edge of the non smoking section you can light up.

If I go into a bar I expect people to smoke and such is life, but if we go into a place that is posted no smoking then I don't expect somebody to light up.

Smokers are their own worst enemy, just look at the replies here for a good example about why the non smokers are fighting so hard to end public smoking. If smokers would act responsibily things would be way better for them.

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if my lip full of Skoal is offensive to non dippers? Hmmmm
View Quote
Not unless you take a huge breath and then spit a high velocity spray all around the room.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well I guess all you whiners dont have very good sex then do ya..?  We all know here in AMISH country, ya have ta Light one up when yare done screwin and got the job done right.
i'll tell ya now tho, some smoke does bother me
thats why I keep a box of Cotton balls by me bed then. I pack a couple up me nose and 2 in me ears then . For its 2 things me cant stand then, thats the smell of BURNING RUBBER AND A WOMAN A SCREAMIN, WELL NOW, AS WE SAY HERE IN AMISH COUNTRY,  To you winers,  "FAULKIN BLEWWWH MAAHHH"
View Quote
Say, you could start a fire in the barn when you farm boys smoke after sex. SQUEEEE-SQUEEEE-SQUEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!!![:E]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Cigarette filter tow is made from cellulose acetate (one of the biggest money-makers for Eastman Chemical Company in Kingsport), which has been estimated to take as long as five years to degrade in the environment. In addition to being unsightly litter, this form of trash poses a threat to birds and other forms of wildlife.

The absolute worst thing a smoker has ever done?
flicked a cigarette butt out the window of his car while I was following on my motorcycle.
It hit me and then went down the front of my jacket. I was able to reach into my jacket and get it out, but only after burning my shirt and my skin.
I did get revenge though. I passed him up and kicked off his driver side mirror with my foot.
[x]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. the butt is bio-degradable since it all comes from nature
2. odds are you'll eat XD 40 before you can finish wrinkling your nose.
View Quote

Are they really, I've found cig butts buried in dirt that had to have been there many many years and they looked just the same, only dirty.  Also what's XD 40 and why would I eat it....
View Quote

So you don't think paper and cotton are biodegradeable?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Here's a radical idea, instead of encouraging more government intrusion in our lives, why don't you non smokers who are so offended by smoke in bars and resturants go with the old Capitolism route as a cure?

Buy or invest in bars and resturants where smoking if off limits and caters to the clean air crowd.

Just an idea......

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I support your right to kill yourself 100%. I think all happy drugs should be legal if you are 18 or up just dont force your addiction on me

If you smoke dont be a dumbass pick up after yourself dont litter.

If you smoke please dont foul up my breathing space. I dont care if you smoke just dont breathe out in my space it's rude.

Would you go out to dinner or a bar and just for fun light a very small fire of sticks and twigs in the ash tray cause you like the smell of pine ? NO that would be stupid, so why are you shocked when people think your a ass for doing the same thing with a cig. or cigar.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Actually, the Constitution limits the powers outside that expressly granted. Unfortunately 200 years of bastardization has pretty much negated that fact.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey guys I must apologize for the post I made earlier in this thread. This is a very passionate topic with me. My grandparents died from smoking on christmas eve when I was 5 years old. I myself have such bad asthma that if I have to breath that stuff then my lungs constrict, my airways lock up and I stop breathing alltogether. If I am able to use my puffer and get some fresh air then im fine. If I accidently leave my puffer at home..........well you get the picture. Still my comments were over the line and I apologize to all of you for acting like such an asshole and being so immature.

Please accept my apologies.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#34]
WolfAR15... all is forgiven. You are to be commended for your apology. Some of these other gonzos around here need to learn from your example.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
MickyMouse, you talk about feeling comfortable, and WolfAR15 talks about feeling safe.  Don't you also think some people don't feel comfortable and safe because you are carrying a loaded firearm near them?

Shrug...

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
View Quote

[calm]  Maybe they dont know? Maybe you have it "concealed" even still if you do have it visible it is not the same as smoking until you draw it and blow their head off. until then its just sittin in its holster like that pack o dormant ciggs in your pocket.[/calm]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#36]
after i had both my lungs collapse in 2001 ive been ver sensitive to cigarette smoke.  going to europe really sucks for me, and makes me realize actually how well we non-smokers have it in america.  the only thing that really sucks for me is asking for a non-smoking area and getting one that butts up to some satan stick suckers receiving coal lung along with my favorite meal. almost as good is going to the mountians to enjoy one of my favorite alpine pastimes only to have a noxious cloud of burning plant puffed in my mug.  In restaurants I ask the mamger to tell them to extinguish the other patrons fag, or loose my business forever... in addition I might recommend better ventilation or moving of the bar or smoking area.  when pole puffers get under my skin outside i make horrendous hacking and wheezing noises or flatulate and leave the area.  stop crowding the damn doors when its cold! i dont care that you want ot be close to the doors for warmth or whatever.  when i have to crap in the woods, my a** gets cold too! smoking lounges should come back in vogue, although they should be vertical coffin sized and able to suck out the putrid odor of stale butt.  if heads get lopped off in the high power ventilation fans, so be it... if i ripped a wet one when i was in your personal area would you not be offended?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
WolfAR15... all is forgiven. You are to be commended for your apology. [red]Some of these other gonzos around here need to learn from your example.[/red]
View Quote

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/yeees.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Sometimes I like to add two bags of chocolate chips to my cookie recipe and make some "double chip" cookies.
Other than that I stick with the recipe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]
WolfAR15, thank you.  Takes a man to apologize.  Smoking killed my mother so I have an idea how you feel.  

We can disagree but need to be more civil to one another.  Same solution would help the conflict in question as well.  

A smokers "right" ends at my nose.  No one has the right to damage my health to practice his addiction.  I could care less if he wants to harm himself but if he tries to harm me then we have a conflict.  Be it with a cigarette, car or gun his action is not acceptable.  

I resent paying the hidden tax of tobbaco abuse.  The government subsidizes tobacco farmers, all of us pay higher life and health insurance premiums, higher food bills to pay for the required smoke eaters, more expensive ventillation and cleaning up the filth left behind by smokers.  Don't forget about fire insurance rates, firefighter expenses from the many annual wildfires caused by some MORON throwing his trash (butt) out the window!  Smokers are often (cetainly not ALWAYS) litterbugs, throwing the remains from their addiction out the window.  I spend an hour or more EVERY WEEK cleaning up all form of trash that IDIOT littlerbugs throw out as they pass by and it PISSES me off!!  Fast food wrapers, half eaten food, rubbers, popo and beer cans & bottles, butts and ashes.  It is thoughtless and illegal on their part - and disgusting to me cleaning it up!

I work in bars, stores and the like.  You would not believe the trash smokers throw everywhere, the sticky, foul smelling residue that gets on EVERYTHING.  If they ban all smoking outside of "tobacco dens" and private homes it suits me just fine!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Last summer I was driving up to Virginia from Georgia, and we stopped at a McDonalds somewhere off I-77 in North Carolina. There were two people sitting the restraunt smoking. I cannot remember the last time I saw someone smoking in a McDonalds. I was kind of offended. The ironic part of the whole story was, at the time, I smoked.

I have since stopped smoking, and somehow I can always manage to avoid the smokers. I have no desire to be around it anymore, as it is just another evil in my life I don't need.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sometimes I like to add two bags of chocolate chips to my cookie recipe and make some "double chip" cookies.
Other than that I stick with the recipe.
View Quote

Somtimes I like to eat a lot of peanuts and corn and, well, never mind! [:D]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top