Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.  And the circumference of the earth doesn't matter.

X = R2-R1

C1 = 2*pi*R1
R1 = C1/(2*pi)

C2 = 2*pi*R2
C2 = C1+3
R2 = C2/(2*pi)
R2 = (C1+3)/(2*pi)

X = R2 - R1
X= (C1+3)/(2*pi) - C1/(2*pi)
X = 3/(2*pi)
X = ~0.48' = ~5.73"

View Quote

I've seen the math but there's no way that can be right.  And how can the circumference not matter?  If the circumference was 3' than doubling the circumference would certainly make more of a difference to the radius on a percentage basis that the circumference of the globe.

I've got to get out some pencil and paper apparently...
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You would think so, wouldn't you?

But, no. OP should have eliminated the physical reality of the thought experiment by discounting any actual elasticity of the rope, assume perfect roundness of the Earth, etc.

Assume normal laws of geometry such as the definitions of radius, circumference, etc.
View Quote

What makes it tricky though is substituting a simple 2D geometry problem with something nearly incomprehensible large, like the circumference of the earth.

The math is easy, wrapping your mind around it conceptually is something different.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
87 henway
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Gravity still makes the rope fall to the ground so 0
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What makes it tricky though is substituting a simple 2D geometry problem with something nearly incomprehensible large, like the circumference of the earth.

The math is easy, wrapping your mind around it conceptually is something different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think so, wouldn't you?

But, no. OP should have eliminated the physical reality of the thought experiment by discounting any actual elasticity of the rope, assume perfect roundness of the Earth, etc.

Assume normal laws of geometry such as the definitions of radius, circumference, etc.

Yep. It's a great thought exercise.

Similar to the monk on the mountain problem. Monk walks a path up the mountain on day one. He walks the exact same path down the mountain on day two. Can you say for certain if the monk was ever in the same spot, at the same time, on each respective journey? (I struggled with this one, too, at first)
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Similar to the monk on the mountain problem. Monk walks a path up the mountain on day one. He walks the exact same path down the mountain on day two. Can you say for certain if the monk was ever in the same spot, at the same time, on each respective journey? (I struggled with this one, too, at first)
View Quote

No man ever steps foot in the same river twice for he is not the same man and it is not the same river
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Earth's circumference is approximately 131.48 million feet.  Earth's equitorial radius is ~20925721.784777 ft.  Adding 3' to the circumference would be about half an inch.

Where is the fault in my logic? Adding 5.75" to the radius would require 44' of extra rope.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haven’t heard that one before, let me chew on it before responding.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, that’s pretty easy.

The answer is yes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
whatever 3 * 12 over 2 pi is in inches.

radius, circumference and diameter don't matter, the answer is going to be the same if its a golf ball or a planet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Trick question. We all know the Earth is flat. Not today mister science man.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not a gotcha question.

It is a question to find out how you think. Do you guestimate based on scale and gut feeling. Or do you slap the simple math on the problem and come up with the basic and correct answer.

It's one of my favorite "riddles", because I got it wrong, initially, even though I deal with math and geometry every day. My logical self said, "Well, you're only adding a very small amount of rope, percentage wise, so the rise would be infinitesimal.

As others point out, the rise would be identical to the rise if you added 3 feet to your belt. Roughly 6 inches. Because of pi and geometry which is an awesome thing.
View Quote

LOL, the earth is not a perfect sphere and gravity varies with location.    I live at ~7000ft above sea level, and in proximity to a really large chunk of rock called Pike's Peak
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok, that’s pretty easy.

The answer is yes.
View Quote

You're a fart smeller. Er, uh. I mean a smart feller. It took me longer because I pondered the randomness of speed and time of each trip instead of running a simple graph.

It's a personal flaw. Even though I deal in pragmatic numbers, tolerances, real world physical parts, every day, I'm a philosopher at heart.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So what part of the earth are we talking? Topography?  North to South pole or around the Equator?  Are you talking about Mesophere, Troposphere or Stratosphere? Whatever measurment you take, add 36 inches.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're a fart smeller. Er, uh. I mean a smart feller. It took me longer because I pondered the randomness of speed and time of each trip instead of running a simple graph.

It's a personal flaw. Even though I deal in pragmatic numbers, tolerances, real world physical parts, every day, I'm a philosopher at heart.
View Quote

Impose their two journeys over a single day. Regardless of the speeds, they will cross somewhere.

We should do the 3-door game show puzzle next. That one is my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I think pi is needed to solve this.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL, the earth is not a perfect sphere and gravity varies with location.    I live at ~7000ft above sea level, and in proximity to a really large chunk of rock called Pike's Peak
View Quote

OK. You have a perfect, geometrically defined sphere of 1 million miles in radius and a theoretical rope consisting of a series of points around the circumference of said sphere, so there is zero difference between said circumference of the sphere and this "rope" of points. Add 3 feet to the rope of points. How far above the circumference of the sphere would this theoretical "Point Rope" be, if it were equally spaced around it's circumference, relative to the previously mentioned sphere?

Better?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
.0000000227 ft higher
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]

thread saved

ETA, knowing GD, please let that be a an actual female in the gif
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
And to think I clicked on this thinking it was about how big the Ex got! And it wouldn't even fit half way around one of her thighs!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
It wouldn't orbit
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Impose their two journeys over a single day. Regardless of the speeds, they will cross somewhere.

We should do the 3-door game show puzzle next. That one is my favorite.
View Quote

Oddly enough, I got the Monty Hall problem, straight away. Also, the airplane on the treadmill as well as the helicopter on a turn table.

Weird, really.

Let me see if I can find the boat and the anchor problem. It would take too long to describe it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
….pull it tight, and then add 3 feet to the length of the rope, how high above the earth, equally suspended, would the new rope be?
View Quote

Options the poorly written question;

1. The rope is still tight but with a 3 ft overlap so you failed to suspend the earth.
2. The rope will break sending the earth into a black hole full of treadmills.
3. You failed to specify the elasticity of the rope, so it continues to stretch indefinitely towards the black hole mentioned above until it reaches the speed of treadmill squared.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Rope don't work that way. It's always 3 inches too short everytime i try to tie something.??
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK. You have a perfect, geometrically defined sphere of 1 million miles in radius and a theoretical rope consisting of a series of points around the circumference of said sphere, so there is zero difference between said circumference of the sphere and this "rope" of points. Add 3 feet to the rope of points. How far above the circumference of the sphere would this theoretical "Point Rope" be, if it were equally spaced around it's circumference, relative to the previously mentioned sphere?

Better?
View Quote

blah blah, blah blah blah blah. someone posted a gif of a hawt chick
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Not much
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread needs MS Paint
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not much
View Quote

Well, that would be correct, relatively.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
.pull it tight, and then add 3 feet to the length of the rope, how high above the earth, equally suspended, would the new rope be?
View Quote

Not a clue.  I know this though, if you take every vein and artery out of a grown man, that dude is going to die.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You want to put a noose around the earth?
Racist....
View Quote

Monica
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Earth's circumference is approximately 131.48 million feet.  Earth's equitorial radius is ~20925721.784777 ft.  Adding 3' to the circumference would be about half an inch.

Where is the fault in my logic? Adding 5.75" to the radius would require 44' of extra rope.
View Quote

Bro, not sure what you're smoking, but its good.

Look at your numbers. There is a relationship between them (the numbers themselves are irrelevant.  The answer is the same if we're talking a basketball, a moon, an earth, or your crop circle.)

The circumference of a circle is 2pi * radius. As you can see in your numbers (which I have not double checked, but it doesn't matter).  This relationship is true regardless of the size of the circle/sphere/etc.

So when you add 36" to the circumference, you add 36 / 6.28 inches to the radius.  That's 5.75".

Same thing with a belt. Assume you are a normal GD guy and wear pants with a 30" waist.  That means your waist has a radius of 30 / 6.28 = ~4.75"  So, if you grabbed a belt whose length was 36" longer than your waist (aka 30" waist + 36" = 66" long belt) and wrapped it around your waist and touched the ends of the belt together...how far off your waist would the belt be? 5.75". Because the radius of the belt is 66" / 6.28 = ~10.5". That's the ~4.75" of your waist plus the 5.75" of the gap between your belt and waist.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Is this hypothetical considering the earth isn't truly round? Is this hypothetical including the weight, sag, and general physics of the rope? Are we ignoring mountains and valleys?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]
What kinda rope?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gravity still makes the rope fall to the ground so 0
View Quote

He’s right you know.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]
If are going to make assumptions, the math is easy....

Circumference of Earth = "Tight" rope = pi*d

Length of Tight rope + 3 feet = pi*d+3 =OR= pi*dmod

Height of suspended 3' longer rope = (dmod-d)/2

Height of suspended 3' longer rope = ((pi*d+3)/pi - d)/2

Height of suspended 3' longer rope = (3'/pi)/2

ETA fixed math

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is this hypothetical considering the earth isn't truly round? Is this hypothetical including the weight, sag, and general physics of the rope? Are we ignoring mountains and valleys?
View Quote

Yes. It’s a third grade, 2D, geometry problem, framed the way it is to take advantage of the way some peoples brains work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes. It's a third grade, 2D, geometry problem, framed the way it is to take advantage of the way some peoples brains work.
View Quote
Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America a question for engineers who have a higher chance of showing up on the autism spectrum.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's hypothetical because we're not actually going to try it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
More importantly, how high would you be?
View Quote

I'm interested in how high he is now even asking this question.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought it would be next to nothing, but then you think about pi, 3.14. so 36 inches / 3.14 = just under a foot. I still thought I would be wrong, and still would be very little gain in the diameter. So I found a calc online to do it.

see the math below in the screen shots, there is a 12 inch difference in the diameter, or 6 inches on both sides. I am sure the 5.75 given above is rounding errors somewhere.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's hypothetical because we're not actually going to try it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Did you get the rope from a Nascar garage ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It would still be on the ground because gravity would keep it there.

View Quote

Im a simple man and this is my answer as well. Rope doesnt magically levitate.

Its like asking if you take a measuring tape and pull it tight around your fat waist, how many inches would it hover off the surface of your skin.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

zero inches, but very slightly less stretched.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
….pull it tight, and then add 3 feet to the length of the rope, how high above the earth, equally suspended, would the new rope be?

zero inches, but very slightly less stretched.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
What if we sent the rope back in time?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes. It’s a third grade, 2D, geometry problem, framed the way it is to take advantage of the way some peoples brains work.
View Quote

I may be slow, since I went to a private, Christian school. But we were still doing addition, subtraction and getting into fractions in third grade.

This kind of geometry started in maybe 7th? Possibly 9th?

I would bet the majority of graduating seniors could not give you the formula for circumference or area of a circle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Even if OP gets the correct answer, Kate Beckinsale still won't return his messages.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Taking into consideration that the earth is oblong from spinning at 1000 mph

The rope will not be long enough to hang all the traitorous scum that plague the U.S.

The rope also isn’t long enough to hold up Rosie O’Donnells pants either

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
None . Gravity will make it just lay there on the ground.
View Quote

lie
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#50]
It makes no difference.  The rope was blind the whole time.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top