BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm a commie because I won't buy the OG cart at an inflated price (due to rarity), and because I won't buy the ROM from Nintendo proper at an even more inflated price (New console + digital purchase).

Boo hoo, poor Nintendo can't scam any more money out of me to buy old games in a digital format at a greatly inflated value.

View Quote
OMG YOU SHOULD JUST JOIN ANTIFA ALREADY!

/sarcasm btw.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 lol at people clamoring to buy these things.

Do yourself a favor and get a Raspberry Pi, and load all of the games on all of the platforms up to PSX not just 20 preloaded SNES games.

Oh and it cost me $60 and I didnt have to wait.
View Quote
Yeah, I have a modded OG X-Box with an obscene amount of games on it.  Still irate Ghouls N' Ghosts on Supergrafx doesn't run, but whatever.  I'm not really a fan of the game anyway, I just want to play it because of the mystique about this version of the game.

Anyway, there's something cool about these mini consoles.  I'm really bummed Sega put AtGames in charge of their version, but I was a Sega fan boy throughout the 90's.  Firing up a Genesis and playing some NHL'94 or Shining Force 2 brings back some insane nostalgia that takes me back to a simpler time.  I just don't get that feeling playing these games on an emulator.  At least with hardware and controllers that look (mostly) like the originals, I get to experience that again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tell me how it is morally ok to use a product being sold that you don't pay for and doesn't profit the company ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're deciding to steal because you don't like how they're doing business?
You actually consider legacy Roms theft?

Lol.
Tell me how it is morally ok to use a product being sold that you don't pay for and doesn't profit the company ?
This clearly shows you don't understand.

ROMs are perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually consider legacy Roms theft?

Lol.

I didn't ask the legality, I'm asking how you morally justify stealing it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU
No defense for justifying theft outside of legal loopholes. No different than those who steal tools out of a garage. Only response is to try and poke fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No defense for justifying theft outside of legal loopholes. No different than those who steal tools out of a garage. Only response is to try and poke fun.
View Quote
Actually that is my only response.

It's kinda like when you argue your point with anti-gunners, over time you just get tired of debating it so much with other people. You just move on with a :

I'm done with that whole song and dance man. I'm sure other people will take you up on that debate. All I can really do is laugh.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it stealing if you take a picture of a painting in an art gallery that charges an entry fee instead of purchasing a copy of the painting from their gift shop?

The whole question about morals and theft is quite interesting on this topic.

Is it more moral to go to a garage sale and by pure luck buy a copy of a game for $2. None of which goes to the creators?

What about preserving the history of games with roms of games that have never had a remake or much interest? Or the fact that a re-release/new version changed the original content?

What about Fair Use? There is court history where a company extracted Sony's PlayStation software in order to create a new program that allowed the games to be played on a computer. It was ruled Fair Use and Sony was told to pound sand.

What about if you had the equipment to pull the data off a cartridge yourself? If you extract the data and then transfer it to another format it is considered Fair Use again.

Then there are home-brew / modded versions of games which once again fall into Fair Use even if you originally took a finished product from a developer.

What about the fact that digital developers like Steam, Origin and Amazon can cut off access to your game library at any moment. You don't even technically own the game you pay for through them. What happens when they shut the doors 10, 20, 100 years from now?

What about hardware failure? If I still own a physical copy of the game but it no longer functions due to age, am I stealing if I get a digital copy?

Things are not as black and white in life as you would like to make them out to be. But then again, Arfcom loves to be self appointed moral police.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last I checked, gamestop didn't have copies of Dragonwarrior on the shelf.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to Nintendo's site, they aren't.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it stealing if you take a picture of a painting in an art gallery that charges an entry fee instead of purchasing a copy of the painting from their gift shop?

Is it more moral to go to a garage sale and by pure luck buy a copy of a game for $2. None of which goes to the creators?

What about preserving the history of games with roms of games that have never had a remake or much interest? Or the fact that a re-release/new version changed the original content?

What about Fair Use? There is court history where a company extracted Sony's PlayStation software in order to create a new program that allowed the games to be played on a computer. It was ruled Fair Use and Sony was told to pound sand.

What about if you had the equipment to pull the data off a cartridge yourself? If you extract the data and then transfer it to another format it is considered Fair Use again.

Then there are home-brew / modded versions of games which once again fall into Fair Use even if you originally took a finished product from a developer.

What about the fact that digital developers like Steam, Origin and Amazon can cut off access to your game library at any moment. You don't even technically own the game you pay for through them. What happens when they shut the doors 10, 20, 100 years from now?

What about hardware failure? If I still own a physical copy of the game but it no longer functions due to age, am I stealing if I get a digital copy?

Things are not as black and white in life as you would like to make them out to be. But then again, Arfcom loves to be self appointed moral police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You aren't entitled to someone's work for free. You may not like that they haven't released something you can buy in a while. Sorry, its not yours to decide

from nintendo's website
People Making Nintendo Emulators and Nintendo ROMs are Helping Publishers by Making Old Games Available that are No Longer Being Sold by the Copyright Owner. This Does Not Hurt Anyone and Allows Gamers to Play Old Favorites. What's the Problem?

The problem is that it's illegal. Copyrights and trademarks of games are corporate assets. If these vintage titles are available far and wide, it undermines the value of this intellectual property and adversely affects the right owner. In addition, the assumption that the games involved are vintage or nostalgia games is incorrect. Nintendo is famous for bringing back to life its popular characters for its newer systems, for example, Mario and Donkey Kong have enjoyed their adventures on all Nintendo platforms, going from coin-op machines to our latest hardware platforms. As a copyright owner, and creator of such famous characters, only Nintendo has the right to benefit from such valuable assets.

Isn't it Okay to Download Nintendo ROMs for Games that are No Longer Distributed in the Stores or Commercially Exploited? Aren't They Considered "Public Domain"?

No, the current availability of a game in stores is irrelevant as to its copyright status. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available. Therefore, the copyrights of games are valid even if the games are not found on store shelves, and using, copying and/or distributing those games is a copyright infringement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
My local gamestop was allocated 4 and sold out "instantly"
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not theft, and I don't care?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You aren't entitled to someone's work for free. You may not like that they haven't released something you can buy in a while. Sorry, its not yours to decide
View Quote
I see you didn't bother to read my post. Thanks for your copy paste response that contributed nothing to the conversation.

Edit: And quoting Nintendo is as helpful to the conversation as quoting Metallica regarding digital music or going to the Brady Campaign for legitimate gun information.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh.
View Quote
screw that. they are intentionally holding back and driving prices up. weren't these originally $50 or less when they first came out a year ago or so and also where not available anywhere but scalpers? Ive I cared to play 8 bit games I would retro pie it all from amazon next day for like $40
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol I would in a heartbeat if I gave enough of a shit to actually want to play those games.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop with your logic. You don't want to upset him after he finds out you can download The Art of War and Sun Tzu doesn't get his cut.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I see you didn't bother to read my post. Thanks for your copy paste response that contributed nothing to the conversation.

Edit: And quoting Nintendo is as helpful to the conversation as quoting Metallica regarding digital music or going to the Brady Campaign for legitimate gun information.
View Quote
lol how much thought have you put into justification of piracy?

If you made something worth stealing, I think you'd feel a little differently about people trading it around freely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stop with your logic. You don't want to upset him after he finds out you can download The Art of War and Sun Tzu doesn't get his cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your comparison fails.

This a company that is currently in business, owns the rights to these games, is selling these games and marketing them/updating them for their profit and you're choosing to avoid paying them through unethical means.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

from nintendo's website
View Quote
By your logic it would be immoral/illegal to give a game away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Any Nintendo/Super Nintendo Classic thread quickly devolves into a legal/ethical thread.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any Nintendo/Super Nintendo Classic thread quickly devolves into a legal/ethical thread.  
View Quote
Solely because one guy who's parent's wouldn't get him an original NES is pissy.

The rest of us(and by us, I mean other folks, because my folks never got me an NES, either), want to relive our childhood on what we have available, and see nothing wrong with downloading a 30 year old game to play casually on our computer or pi.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ironically the same people have probably recorded to a cassete/VHS, downloaded music, copied a cd/dvd, or streamed tv shows/movies/sporting events at one point.

Hell werent payperview parties cheating networks out of possible profit? 20-30 people chipping in and watching something.

There is a myriad of laws out there that people break every day. Intentionally or unintentionally. Some are more or less company policy that wouldn't hold up to a court case.

When you steal something, you wrong a person or company by taking the object away, Copying/Duplicating/Cloning is different from theft IMO.

If I made a machine that clones an object perfectly, and I only use it for personal use. Would that be theft?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ironically the same people have probably recorded to a cassete/VHS, downloaded music, copied a cd/dvd, or streamed tv shows/movies/sporting events at one point.

Hell werent payperview parties cheating networks out of possible profit? 20-30 people chipping in and watching something.

There is a myriad of laws out there that people break every day. Intentionally or unintentionally. Some are more or less company policy that wouldn't hold up to a court case.
View Quote
The beauty about rom law, is that if you have the cartridge, you can legally have the rom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fucking lol at people clamoring to buy these things.

Do yourself a favor and get a Raspberry Pi, and load all of the games on all of the platforms up to PSX not just 20 preloaded SNES games.

Oh and it cost me $60 and I didnt have to wait.
View Quote
Tell me where to buy the gamepads and I'm doing this next week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
US SNES CONTROLLER (PURPLE BUTTONS)
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick-Android/dp/B014QP2H1E
FAMICOM STYLE SNES CONTROLLER  (RYBG BUTTONS)
https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-SFC30-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00Y0LUQFE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G84GXKDMG177WVR7FBHN

Blue Tooth and USB, its pretty nice and comes close to the original. Seems to work with Pi
https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/49nx8z/8bitdo_sfc30_raspberry_pi_3/
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The pi, using emulation station, will recognize most any usb controller.  Amazon has usb NES controllers, or, you can use a ps3 controller.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You sound like a fucking communist deciding when something made by a company should be made free to you. Fucking FSA.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/earthbound-3ds
View Quote
I would love your take on MS-DOS games and how about 90% of those titles are from defunct game studios.

Quick find me the trustee of Loriciel the maker of Jim Power in Mutant Planet for the Amiga in 1992 so i can ask to purchase a copy
Pretty Please

ETA: If your making a ethical case then it doesn't even matter if the studio is still around making money, it's still utilizing software that you did not purchase. ABSOLUTELY DESPICABLE
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would love your take on MS-DOS games and how about 90% of those titles are from defunct game studios.

Quick find me the trustee of Loriciel the maker of Jim Power in Mutant Planet for the Amiga in 1992 so i can ask to purchase a copy
Pretty Please
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Jim_Power_in_Mutant_Planet_Coverart.png
View Quote
Shit, this is what I want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your comparison fails.

This a company that is currently in business, owns the rights to these games, is selling these games and marketing them/updating them for their profit and you're choosing to avoid paying them through unethical means.
View Quote
Will you knock it off with the self-appointed hall monitor stuff already. These games would be long forgotten without ROMs. One could argue that the popularity of ROMs are the reason Nintendo is even putting out classic games again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#31]
You know your going to hell right? 

Take Two Interactive Revenue in 2016 was 1.7b the fact you didn't legally purchase this game?
Dennis Hoppers Estate wants that royalty cashflow from his V/O work... how dare you
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Will you knock it off with the self-appointed hall monitor stuff already. These games would be long forgotten without ROMs. One could argue that the popularity of ROMs are the reason Nintendo is even putting out classic games again.
View Quote
Yep.

I'm kinda hoping the various C64 developers will do the same soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

THIS

I was looking forward to buying a NES classic and a Switch when they were to be released, but the NES classic BS has completely turned me off of buying anything Nintendo.
View Quote
Yep.  When they saw demand was stupid high, they should have re-released another batch.  Instant profits.  I don't get why they didn't.

Same here.  This limited numbers that sell out in minutes of release........they can suck my cock now.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep.  When they saw demand was stupid high, they should have re-released another batch.  Instant profits.  I don't get why they didn't.

Same here.  This limited numbers that sell out in minutes of release........they can suck my cock now.  
View Quote
I know why they didn't.

They're still pissed about August 6th and 9th, 72 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Wait....

Nintendo only made a small limited run of the NES all-in-one thingamajigger they had recently?

I was planning on purchasing one when they were back on shelves / amazon.  Obviously I haven't been paying attention.

That's...  frustrating.  No way i'm going to buy a switch or whatever just to play old NES games.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I called my local Gamestop once I saw this thread, at about 4:00 PM CST.  Their waitlist was already full
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I was sorta interested in the NES Classic, but this doesn't interest me at all, mainly because I'm looking at a functional SNES here in my basement right now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
called gamestop, I was told they sold out companywide in 1 hour......Ive been jacked off with sandpaper twice now from Nintendo
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Nintendo I'm over dealing with their BS.
better options already available
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

By your logic it would be immoral/illegal to give a game away.
View Quote
A game with no legitimate source, ie a copy, yes.

A game that was properly paid for, no.

This feels like I'm giving second grade morality lessons here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Solely because one guy who's parent's wouldn't get him an original NES is pissy.

The rest of us(and by us, I mean other folks, because my folks never got me an NES, either), want to relive our childhood on what we have available, and see nothing wrong with downloading a 30 year old game to play casually on our computer or pi.
View Quote
While downloading the ROM is illegal, the number of people arrested for it=0, only uploaders.   I've spent quite a bit this past year buying a lot of classic and retro games from NEO GEO, SEGA, Midway and Capcom, will be happy to buy more if and when available.  People can argue and debate all they want, nobody worth a damn really gives a flying fuck.  Like all those people that have cubbards and shelves full of VHS, DVD, Tapes, 8 Tracks, etc... and on and on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A game with no legitimate source, ie a copy, yes.

A game that was properly paid for, no.

This feels like I'm giving second grade morality lessons here.
View Quote
Ooh, such virtue signalling!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's 100% not even close to the reason they quit making them. Google is your friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Nintendo and their "we didn't think it would be this popular so we didn't build many" bullshit story.
That's 100% not even close to the reason they quit making them. Google is your friend.
Did I say that's why they STOPPED making them? No? Didn't think so.

There are plenty of references to Nintendo claiming that they "didn't know" demand would be so great. They pull this shit all the time. Same with the Wii before and soon to be the SNES-C, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't forget Virtual Console.  I noticed most of the games I would want are also VC with the 2DS XL.  Hmmm....I could use another hand held to mess with during power outages like when I had my PSP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ebay, fam.

SNES USB controllers
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
emulation =/= theft
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
emulation =/= theft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

emulation =/= theft
Did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Did you pay for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

emulation =/= theft
Did you pay for it?

Going to be interesting to see how this is handled with 3d printers and stuff.

If you duplicate a friends widget, and intend on using said widget for personal use, can that be called theft?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/piracy-is-not-theft.jpg?w=635

If you duplicate a friends widget, and intend on using said widget for personal use, can that be called theft?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

emulation =/= theft
Did you pay for it?
https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/piracy-is-not-theft.jpg?w=635

The question isn't if they're no longer in possession of it, the question is did you pay for the game you downloaded off the internet that the company is selling for their system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I just played tic-tac-toe with my kids. Anyone know who I need to pay royalties to?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top