Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is funny how the bleeding hearts in this country hold welfare for our poor so dearly (steak dinners and EBT )  while wearing clothing made by a Chinese kid who lives on rice and the occasional bean.

...and works for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FPNI

The solution is find a job. Those who truly couldn't would have to use charities.

Private charities could not replace the bohemouth that is institutionalized welfare in this country.

The system is so easy that it enables people to depend on it. It even tempts them and entices them.

Welfare is the downfall of those communities and cultures that depend on ot as a matter of practice.  It enslaves them to being second class citizens.

It is itself a racist institution  against those it ensnares.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would donate job applications

FPNI

The solution is find a job. Those who truly couldn't would have to use charities.

Private charities could not replace the bohemouth that is institutionalized welfare in this country.

The system is so easy that it enables people to depend on it. It even tempts them and entices them.

Welfare is the downfall of those communities and cultures that depend on ot as a matter of practice.  It enslaves them to being second class citizens.

Ya know…

Right after the welfare reforms of the 1990s I worked in a factory that hired a lot of low skilled type folks. When you are in Alabama that means Blacks and Rednecks. (Some people might be surprised to learn how well Blacks and Rednecks can get along, but that’s not important right now.)

And the funny thing is a lot of the Black people were praising Clinton for passing welfare reform. Why? Because it made them get a job and that was a great thing for Black people. I’m serious, they were not only happy for being kicked off welfare but they were thanking Clinton for doing it… go figure.

I imagine that some local preachers had a lot to do with that. (Church is central to the life of Southern Black people.) But still, they knew that they were better off working than on welfare.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ITT the liberals out themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I already have.  Haven't you ever given to a food drive at your church before?

You really think a few cans at a food drive is a viable substitute for welfare and food stamps?

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand.

A quick searched confirmed by (increasingly poor) memory, and 556guy outs himself pretty much every time he posts on economics.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You really think a few cans at a food drive is a viable substitute for welfare and food stamps?

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait what?  Studies show that we through away 40-50% of good eatable food every year in this country.  Want to know why?  You and I don't throughout half our fridge stock every time we go to the grocery store.  Grocery stores and restaurants toss it in the garbage and get a tax write off on it as "unsold spoiled".   Eliminate the tax write off for throwing away good food and make it a write off to give to local food banks.  Food stamp problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ya know…

Right after the welfare reforms of the 1990s I worked in a factory that hired a lot of low skilled type folks. When you are in Alabama that means Blacks and Rednecks. (Some people might be surprised to learn how well Blacks and Rednecks can get along, but that’s not important right now.)

And the funny thing is a lot of the Black people were praising Clinton for passing welfare reform. Why? Because it made them get a job and that was a great thing for Black people. I’m serious, they were not only happy for being kicked off welfare but they were thanking Clinton for doing it… go figure.

I imagine that some local preachers had a lot to do with that. (Church is central to the life of Southern Black people.) But still, they knew that they were better off working than on welfare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Ya know…

Older black folks realize it.

It is the same deal with a lot of foriegn aid.

It makes a dependant culture unavoidable.

I first heard these ideas in my life time (other than from my dad when I was young) was from Ron Paul.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A quick searched confirmed by (increasingly poor) memory, and 556guy outs himself pretty much every time he posts on economics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I remember him caterwauling about how minimum wage is the bedrock of our society, or some bullshit like that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand for free steak and lobster, and soda and doritos, and lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op, the programs we have now were created because private charity couldn't keep up with the demand for free steak and lobster, and soda and doritos, and lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu....

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

tc sure loves him some government. Should be wearing this
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the programs were set up to buy votes. See  LBJ.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If they were only set up to prevent starving you would only be able to get bread, veggies, peanut butter, and milk.  It is a vote buying scheme and a second enslavement for people of color (whites to).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I was just googling "what did poor people do before welfare?" and found this interesting article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2013/06/23/welfare-state-doesnt-adequately-describe-how-much-americas-poor-control-your-wallet/

and Welfare before the welfare state

There was a lot of banding together. I had known something of the mutual assistance societies among the Eastern European immigrants, such as the PRCU (Polish Roman Catholic Union of America).

http://www.prcua.org/about.htm

"Poor" people call themselves "poor" but are they really? With the flashy cars/SUVs, clothes, elaborate hair/manicure/pedicures, newest electronic gadgets (mobile and otherwise), processed food, these folks are NOT poor. We're just subsidizing their luxuries.

How many welfare recipients would be in really dire shape without EBT/TNAF, SNAP, section 8, etc.?

Previous generations had to be in really, really dire shape before they would accept any sort of organized help.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously??  With all the graft and corruption, welfare fraud and the like, I would love to abolish it just to see the roaches scurry.  I work too damn hard and i hate seeing my tax dollars go to the FSA.  I hate it.

There is a big difference between a "hand up" and a "handout".
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that what they teach in NY?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they teach work for twenty years and live off your pension.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I already have. Haven't you ever given to a food drive at your church before?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I think that when they're hungry enough they'll actually be willing to work for food. Charities should o ly have to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, not those who choose not to.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Demand for free stuff is infinite.

The poor should be served a nutritious gruel after standing in line for 2 hours.  I am opposed to any additional mollycoddling.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The demand for free shit is always going to exceed supply. Some people simply are not worth providing for and will suffer the consequences of their choices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit, is this a fucking joke? My family donates food every year. Canned food and off-brand turkey isn't good enough for the FSA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If the .gov were out of the welfare bidness,  charities would not make up the difference.   Members of the FSA would actually have to find a job.

My charitable contributions would continue at their present generous level.
View Quote

It would be a 50/50 thing (or 90/10). The truly needy that are some form of disabled would be all that's left, the lazy assholes would finally work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The programs we have now were created to buy votes and nothing more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The programs we have now were created to buy votes and nothing more.

Yep. LOTS of food/shelter private non-profit organizations out there. I used to work at an accounting firm that had 1/2 the staff dedicated to auditing and compiling financial statements for non-profits, many homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who would be the first to actually donate to the charities that would theoretically replace EBT?

View Quote

It would not be EBT like as we know it now.  Able bodied men and women would be expected to work period.  Do a staple food stipend and daycare that is it, and put some of the former looters to work in the daycare.  Localized community interest support groups would be the order of the day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
OP is a lib troll.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Sometimes I feel like this site could serve as a case study in sociopathy
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There has never been a time in US history where ever single person had a full-time, family sustaining job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has never been a time in US history where ever single person had a full-time, family sustaining job.

Don't care, donate to your church or salvation army. I wont give a penny
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The system is broken beyond repair. The joke about lobster, crab legs and steak are true.  I personally see it on a daily basis.  
 Can't afford food?   Here is your 50 pound bag o'spuds, block of cheese product, and lard.  Have fun eating that.   Other than that, get a fucking job, stop sucking on the .gov tit.  Why are we a fucking cradle to grave welfare system that keeps on keeping' on?    Look to ancient Rome.  They had a huge welfare system towards the end.  Where did that get them?      There is a reason it's called ruins, and not modern Rome.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

out of all the money the government wastes, food for the poor doesnt bother me too bad.

View Quote

It should.  In the first place most of the money is wasted.  I believe that 30% was the amount quoted upthread that goes to actual food.  In the 2nd place, much of the SNAP money is spend on non-nutritional garbage like Doritos and Mt. Dew, again as quoted upthread.  So it's corporate handouts, not individual assistance.

Seriously, the entire Welfare (what a joke of a misnomer) system needs to be done away with.  It is nothing more than a vote buying scam from the very people who are trying to steal your freedoms and turn this once free land into a communist state.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I already give about $7,000 a year to various charities and ministries.  Give me my taxes back and I'll donate even more.

But I won't give one red cent to anyone who has better stuff than I have.  I might offer to buy an item at a fair price, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you see the thread about the lady complaining her food stamps was cut $75 or so from almost $1200.

My family eats on a fraction on that, so can they.
View Quote

I know what food costs in the store, and I find it unbelievable that a family could eat for a "fraction" of $1200 a month.
A couple of hundred bucks a week for a family is very very easy to rack up without even hitting the meat section.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And oddly enough, after $16 trillion over 65 years, there are more people on welfare (both raw numbers and per capita) than ever before.  What does that tell you?  

(Hint--finish the sentence:  "throwing good ___  after bad.")
View Quote

Did someone claim that poverty was going to go away?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Couldnt be more wrong. There was more opportunity before Big Gov. The welfare state was created by the left to tear down families, communities, and make individuals dependant. They could never defeat us militarily, so they have done it from within, just as Kruschev said they would.
View Quote

More opportunity for what? My original comment stands. These programs started because private charity couldn't meet demand. The private charities that exist today can't meet demand either
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't really think we should get rid of Welfare per se; but rather, revamp the whole system.

A coworker and I came up with this theory of a network of products that you can only use your EBT card for. Great Value rice *good*, Appetite Pleasin' ranch style beans *good*, T-bone steak (2) *invalid item*, Monster Energy six pack *invalid item*. Benefits would only be available for a limited amount of time (measured in months) and; if you needed more, it would be time to pick up a .gov part time labor job until you find a better job.

We all know that's inconsiderate and unreasonable though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who would be the first to actually donate to the charities that would theoretically replace EBT?

View Quote

Probably the same people that donate now, but really, this is a pointless question.   The only thing that will replace EBT is mass violence and/or cannibalism.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a safety net, but you have to design and run it in good faith.  Neither is happening now or has been happening for a long time.   Most of the transfer payment programs are just that; taking shit from one group to hand to another.   It's institutionalized theft; some ghetto idiot with a couple of neglected children pulls down as much as I make.   This is simply fucked up.

The entitlement programs are not anywhere close to sustainable, and many of those on them are - to be perfectly frank - utterly useless, even beyond their sense of entitlement.    

What can't go on forever, won't.   They'll probably end up eating each other sooner or later.

Quoted:
I don't really think we should get rid of Welfare per se; but rather, revamp the whole system.

View Quote

It's neat how some people think we have a choice.   We don't; the government will never voluntarily stop it, and it's not possible for them to continue it indefinitely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is because of a lack of education opportunities.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that's sarcasm, because surely you can't be serious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's neat how some people think we have a choice.   We don't; the government will never voluntarily stop it, and it's not possible for them to continue it indefinitely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think we have a choice, I just think it'd be better to do what I stated above. I realize there's really no chance that we'll be able to sort this out the usual way by voting. Doesn't mean I won't vote; but I think we're pretty much set on a dark path.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lower minimum wage to be competetive with Asia for production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lower minimum wage to be competetive with Asia for production.

You can't be serious.

Quoted:

If the alternative is to suggest as the poster above did that we should drop our minimum wage to that of China, I'll be happy to be the contrarian in this discussion.

Quoted:
The system is broken beyond repair. The joke about lobster, crab legs and steak are true.  I personally see it on a daily basis.  
 Can't afford food?   Here is your 50 pound bag o'spuds, block of cheese product, and lard.  Have fun eating that.   Other than that, get a fucking job, stop sucking on the .gov tit.  Why are we a fucking cradle to grave welfare system that keeps on keeping' on?    Look to ancient Rome.  They had a huge welfare system towards the end.  Where did that get them?      There is a reason it's called ruins, and not modern Rome.

I agree that what they can buy on SNAP or food stamps or whatever you want to call it should be limited to generic store brands and fresh foods.
I don't agree with the suggestion I see in these threads that there should be special SNAP stores like the gov't run booze stores in some states
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the .gov were out of the welfare bidness,  charities would not make up the difference.   Members of the FSA would actually have to find a job.

My charitable contributions would continue at their present generous level.
View Quote

Yep. I give to a local food bank and Goodwill on a monthly basis.

I'd probably give more to the food bank if I wasn't being raped every two weeks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they were created as a method of control. Our gov doesn't give a fuck about the welfare of the people, it only wants more control.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know what food costs in the store, and I find it unbelievable that a family could eat for a "fraction" of $1200 a month.
A couple of hundred bucks a week for a family is very very easy to rack up without even hitting the meat section.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you see the thread about the lady complaining her food stamps was cut $75 or so from almost $1200.

You know fractions 3/4, 1/2, 1/3? Growing up in a family of 5 our food budget was around 600 a month and we ate very well. That was only a few years ago btw... There is no reason a family needs 1200 a month to eat on all of my monthly bills arent too much more than that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family and I eat on about $800 a month. That's with us buying a good amount of stupid shit that we don't need.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you joking?

I can bulk on ~$130 worth of food each month and I have a high metabolism. It's not unhealthy shit either.

You must be on that whole foods time.

Pretty sure you could feed a family of 20 with $1400 a month if you really wanted to. Sadly, they might have to cut out the lobster and steak dinners every night.

Funny thing is, most people are like you, which is why we are screwed.

Most of the people I see using EBT are whales, so I'm pretty sure they could get by on less. Nomsayin?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If the alternative is to suggest as the poster above did that we should drop our minimum wage to that of China, I'll be happy to be the contrarian in this discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

tc... you've gotten huffy and praised Cuba in some past discussions. Stop pretending to be a centrist.

Quoted:
More opportunity for what? My original comment stands. These programs started because private charity couldn't meet demand. The private charities that exist today can't meet demand either

Demand by whom?

You do know they are giving food to people already on foodstamps, right?

I'm sure that there is an almost infinite demand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And oddly enough, after $16 trillion over 65 years, there are more people on welfare (both raw numbers and per capita) than ever before.  What does that tell you?  

(Hint--finish the sentence:  "throwing good ___  after bad.")
View Quote

Since initiating the "war on poverty" with all the welfare programs of the 1960's, poverty has NEVER GONE DOWN.

All it did was make people dependent on government when they used to at least produce things or provide a service. They are still poor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a good enough reason in itself to make people dependent (frequently taking away their incentive to take an entry level job).
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Until my taxes reflect no more redistribution of wealth, not a damned cent to charity. Except the one who dances at the Flight Club.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP is a lib troll.
View Quote

He has stated in a past thread that he is only an apologist for them.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's ok, because there has also never been a time in US history where every single person had to sustain a family.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

out of all the money the government wastes, food for the poor doesnt bother me too bad.

View Quote
I work in an industry where I deal with specifically the kind of people who take foodstamps...

The vast majority of people who are homeless, could find a shelter, and food, etc... if they would just drop the bottle or the crack pipe.

The vast majority of people who go without food, shelter, etc in this country... are people who have simply traded food and shelter for the beer bottle.

No one is homeless and hungry in America, because they are just "down on their luck". It's almost always either mental illness or addiction... (more often both, actually)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It is funny how the bleeding hearts in this country hold welfare for our poor so dearly (steak dinners and EBT )  while wearing clothing made by a Chinese kid who lives on rice and the occasional bean.

...and works for it.
View Quote
For a "Communist" country, they sure embrace the Free Market more so than we do.
Page / 4
Top Top